Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4785984 times)

Oog and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

MOE SYZLAK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #29430 on: October 22, 2021, 01:24:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Set up a 8.00 WKND
With some Bone 54mm Dialtones
Garnished nicely with some fresh fastbreaks
[close]

Beautiful photo. Everything down to the rug is perfecto!
White fastbreaks are the move too.

What’s up with the risers though?
[close]
The risers are the ones made for ventures , the only option my local had so I made them work , I flipped them around so they stick out on the inside instead of on the nose and tail.
[close]

How do the fastbreaks skate? I've been thinking of skating em but I'm skating slim vulcs lately and not sure if I want to make a big change
So fucking good. My personal favorite shoe in recent years. I hoard every pair I can find.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 03:20:29 PM by MOE SYZLAK »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #29431 on: October 22, 2021, 02:54:13 PM »
Indy mid kingpins on the Thunders?

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29432 on: October 22, 2021, 05:08:58 PM »
Indy mid kingpins on the Thunders?
Na, just stock Thunder Highs

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #29433 on: October 23, 2021, 12:40:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Set up a 8.00 WKND
[close]

[close]
The risers are the ones made for ventures , the only option my local had so I made them work , I flipped them around so they stick out on the inside instead of on the nose and tail.
[close]

How do the fastbreaks skate? I've been thinking of skating em but I'm skating slim vulcs lately and not sure if I want to make a big change
[close]
So fucking good. My personal favorite shoe in recent years. I hoard every pair I can find.

Do you need to size down like other cons?

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29434 on: October 23, 2021, 02:53:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Set up a 8.00 WKND
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Do you need to size down like other cons?
I have pairs in both 9.5 and 10 (10 being my average shoe size) and they both fit comfortably. The 9.5 are a little more on the snug side but still feel fine.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #29435 on: October 23, 2021, 03:08:30 AM »
Love the packing tape sticker job.

I feel like there was a moment where brands would just let you buy rolls of their packing tape and I want that to come back.

Ha! Sick that you noticed that ahah

My buddy was out of shop stickers so I saw that he had the packing tape there and I was like “gimme that, Imma try something really quick”. He wasn’t sure about it but then he loved the result. I think it worked super nice actually!  8)

@DaleSr ahah Quasi just has cool graphics, the rest is pretty standard I guess… I’ll flex some 24k gold trucks one day  ;D ;D

@jakeumms yeah I did noticed that and thought it was cool… I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s some loose reference.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

nevrwasben

« Reply #29436 on: October 23, 2021, 08:06:10 AM »

Quasi 8.5
Thunder titanium 3 149s
OJ elite 53m 99a
Bronson G3
Shorty Allen head 1”
MOB always

33 birthday complete. So stoked
Beautiful

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #29437 on: October 23, 2021, 05:43:35 PM »

Deathwish Neen Twin Nose 8.5
Indy 144 standard with Bones HC bushings (hard)
Bones 100s slightly under 50mm
Bones risers 1/8
Bones Swiss
Miles
Diamond 1/8

This is dope, love seeing people break the mold of always using yellow/white wheels

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #29438 on: October 24, 2021, 09:16:45 AM »
First session today.. Anyone else always goes to the same spot with a new setup? Some flat and curbs for me.
I absolutely hate new hardware. Sized up to a 8.25, so new deck and new trucks.

-Darkroom 8.25 / 14.25wb / 31.97 length
-Spits F4 Classics 54, ~52mm now and perfect
-Blurs Blue bearings (these are always good)
-Jessup Ultra
-Indy 7/8 Allen
-7 silver nuts and 1 green from the hardware store (shoutout OBI)
-Indy 144 Tits, Riptide pivot cups, Indy aftermarket 92 barrel bushings, nut flush with kingpin

Nose <-------------------------------------------------------------------> Tail

Not sure yet if I like the kinda square nose. Tail is fine.
How long does it take, till these bushings are worn in?
IG: @flowterspace

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #29439 on: October 24, 2021, 11:05:42 AM »
First session today.. Anyone else always goes to the same spot with a new setup? Some flat and curbs for me.

I do. Flat and curbs as well. I did some grinds only, didn‘t want to destroy the graphics just yet.  ::)
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #29440 on: October 24, 2021, 11:11:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I do. Flat and curbs as well. I did some grinds only, didn‘t want to destroy the graphics just yet.  ::)

Well I started with some grinds only too, but then I missed a slappy and got a scratch on the graphic, so I said fuck it.
IG: @flowterspace

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #29441 on: October 24, 2021, 05:23:00 PM »

Krooked 3.38
Thunder 149 Ti's with Ti kingpin and nuts
Spits conical slims F4's 52s
Bones Swiss 6
Miles grip
Ti 3/4" bolts and nuts

The Thunder 149 Ti's are lighter than my old Tensor Maglite ATG 8.75's. Not that it matters, just an observation because Tensor claimes their Maglites are 30% lighter than all other trucks. Tensor also claims they're guaranteed for life, but I reached out to them and it's been radio silence since I bent all four of my Maglite axels. They were fun trucks while they lasted though.

where did u get the titanium kingpins & nuts?

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #29442 on: October 24, 2021, 08:59:58 PM »
Please excuse the belt on the floor. Also that stool sat in my friend’s backyard for a while which is why the bottom looks fucked up.

Sour 7.75”, Tensor Maglights, 52mm Loopholes, Reds. I’ve been having a lot of fun with how nimble 7.75s are lately. At first I was using some Ventures I had in my garage from the early 2000s but eventually got some Maglights. I got the Los first and really enjoyed them, even though I was riding the wrong bushings for a while. I was already skating some Tensor bushings I impulsively got at the shop one day in the Ventures so when I got the Maglights I switched out the new bushings for my bushings. I didn’t realize until I more recently got some normal height Maglights that the bottom bushings I took out of the Los were around a quarter inch taller than the bottom bushing of the normal height tensors.

9” AH Eagle, 7.625” Tensor Maglight Los, Mini Cubics (64mm 95a), Reds, 3/8” OJ risers. This is a fun one as well. It’s a continuation of the previous Mini Cubic setup I had with a Red Curbs shop deck and painted white Orions, I broke that board in two sessions. Getting to use smaller trucks than the board width saves some weight to compensate for the wheels, even more so with the Maglights. When I put this setup together I had the normal height bushings in them at first, then put the Lo bushings back in them and noticed how much better they turned. I felt like a dumbass because I thought it was normal for low trucks to turn that bad.

I also got some Indy 109s I’m going to try with the mini cubics in the future, I put the wheels on and they’ll fit an 8-8.25” flipped outwards, they fit flipped inwards as well.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #29443 on: October 25, 2021, 06:20:11 AM »
just setup that 14 inch wheelbase 7.875 baker OG steep concave w venture lows and f4 99a classics

Feels like a child's board! but I have to say it is nice to pop and have the board go with you without having to drag it up w pure force.

Board was coming with me on tricks not staying on the ground haha.
I was hating the stock venture bushings but only one session in.

Will withhold 14 inch wheelbase judgement for a bit because 1 30 min sessions isnt enough to iron anything out

no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #29444 on: October 25, 2021, 06:33:41 AM »
that AH setup is wild man, looks so fun.
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #29445 on: October 25, 2021, 12:46:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Krooked 3.38
Bones Swiss 6
Miles grip
Ti 3/4" bolts and nuts

The Thunder 149 Ti's are lighter than my old Tensor Maglite ATG 8.75's. Not that it matters, just an observation because Tensor claimes their Maglites are 30% lighter than all other trucks. Tensor also claims they're guaranteed for life, but I reached out to them and it's been radio silence since I bent all four of my Maglite axels. They were fun trucks while they lasted though.
[close]

[close]
I bought them from the local redneck racecar shop, as it was cheaper than ordering online due to shipping. They're called jacob's ladder bolts and they offer an obscene amount of clearance. I believe they're used to fasten the driver's seat to the frame in sprint cars and dirt modifieds. They also sit flush with most conical top bushings:

The kingpin: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tru-Lite-Titanium-Seat-Bolt-3-8-24-Thread-x-2-Inch,34338.html
Kingpin nut: https://www.ebay.com/itm/252337219232
Hardware: https://www.ebay.com/itm/252367524883?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The hardware also came with 20 titanium nuts, although they're not listed in the description. Blue Loctite needs to be used on the treads because there's no nyloc. They're obviously more expensive, but they should last years, so they will hopefully pay for themselves in the long run.

Blows my fucking mind that it's almost 2022 and companies still don't ship trucks with kingpins like this, and no one offers titanium hardware either.

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #29446 on: October 25, 2021, 12:51:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Krooked 3.38
Bones Swiss 6
Miles grip
Ti 3/4" bolts and nuts

[close]

[close]
I bought them from the local redneck racecar shop, as it was cheaper than ordering online due to shipping. They're called jacob's ladder bolts and they offer an obscene amount of clearance. I believe they're used to fasten the driver's seat to the frame in sprint cars and dirt modifieds. They also sit flush with most conical top bushings:

The kingpin: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tru-Lite-Titanium-Seat-Bolt-3-8-24-Thread-x-2-Inch,34338.html
Hardware: https://www.ebay.com/itm/252367524883?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The hardware also came with 20 titanium nuts, although they're not listed in the description. Blue Loctite needs to be used on the treads because there's no nyloc. They're obviously more expensive, but they should last years, so they will hopefully pay for themselves in the long run.
[close]

Blows my fucking mind that it's almost 2022 and companies still don't ship trucks with kingpins like this, and no one offers titanium hardware either.

for real, is it a physics thing or a cost thing or a lazy/content thing or a mix or what

LebowskisRug

« Reply #29447 on: October 25, 2021, 01:26:26 PM »
I'd love to see it all in torx. It's for sure a cost thing- those bolts are $20 a piece and ti is expensive. I highly doubt companies are willing to cut into profits. It wouldn't be hard to offer forged plates that have the same effective WB as cast, no one does it. And no, it's not to "preserve pop feel", they're just lazy.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #29448 on: October 25, 2021, 01:32:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Krooked 3.38
Bones Swiss 6
Miles grip
Ti 3/4" bolts and nuts

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

for real, is it a physics thing or a cost thing or a lazy/content thing or a mix or what

I believe it's cost. I think I found the original manufacturer of the bolts: https://www.globalsources.com/si/AS/Shaanxi-Vital/6008854151035/pdtl/Titanium-Jacobs-Ladder-Bolt/1183925452.htm#1183925452

Six dollars per set of trucks would significantly decrease profits unless the industry starts charging more. I feel like most skateboarders don't/can't pay more for parts. For instance, there was pushback on Lurpiv's Instagram over their $90 price tag, despite them being manufactured in Sweden to higher tolerances than other trucks and using rheocasting.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #29449 on: October 25, 2021, 02:14:45 PM »
I'd love to see it all in torx. It's for sure a cost thing- those bolts are $20 a piece and ti is expensive. I highly doubt companies are willing to cut into profits. It wouldn't be hard to offer forged plates that have the same effective WB as cast, no one does it. And no, it's not to "preserve pop feel", they're just lazy.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Krooked 3.38
Bones Swiss 6
Miles grip
Ti 3/4" bolts and nuts

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I believe it's cost. I think I found the original manufacturer of the bolts: https://www.globalsources.com/si/AS/Shaanxi-Vital/6008854151035/pdtl/Titanium-Jacobs-Ladder-Bolt/1183925452.htm#1183925452

Six dollars per set of trucks would significantly decrease profits unless the industry starts charging more. I feel like most skateboarders don't/can't pay more for parts. For instance, there was pushback on Lurpiv's Instagram over their $90 price tag, despite them being manufactured in Sweden to higher tolerances than other trucks and using rheocasting.

thx both of you, in my head i wasn't even considering Ti because of the price but i now am noticing those bolts don't seem to come in non-Ti after my extremely brief search

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #29450 on: October 25, 2021, 02:37:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Krooked 3.38
Bones Swiss 6
Miles grip
Ti 3/4" bolts and nuts

[close]

[close]

[close]

It is seriously incredible. Indy came out with a version that ended up with like 5mm of clearance over a standard kingpin and no meaningful weight savings.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #29451 on: October 25, 2021, 02:39:12 PM »
$6 per bolt is what you pay if you’re the hoi polloi. Indy’s economy of scale would cut that dramatically, and they could of course raise the price of the trucks just as they do with the other gewgaws and gizmo trucks they put out.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #29452 on: October 25, 2021, 03:08:43 PM »
Not to nitpick, but the washer design doesn't seem great. You can already see where it is digging into the bushing since it is a 90 degree angle. Stock washers for all brands have >90 deg angle to prevent this.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #29453 on: October 25, 2021, 03:17:37 PM »
Not to nitpick, but the washer design doesn't seem great. You can already see where it is digging into the bushing since it is a 90 degree angle. Stock washers for all brands have >90 deg angle to prevent this.

There is no washer on this "kingpin", it's what's known as a button head bolt. The top piece is a solid Ti disc with no recess.

The marks on the top bushing are from using Krux download kingpins: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108560.720

I'd avoid Krux downlow kingpins for the aforementioned reasons listed in that thread.  :(
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #29454 on: October 25, 2021, 03:32:28 PM »

8.75 14.25wb
55's black baseplates for flair, Indy hard conicals
54mm classic fulls
Swiss

nevrwasben

« Reply #29455 on: October 25, 2021, 03:54:16 PM »

8.75 14.25wb
55's black baseplates for flair, Indy hard conicals
54mm classic fulls
Swiss
Very very nice!!
Color me jealous

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #29456 on: October 25, 2021, 06:00:42 PM »

Roger 8.0
Venture 5.2
Spit tablets 51mm, 99a
Quantum ceramics

my first Roger and I'm digging it so far.  last 2 boards have been really tapered, almost football-ish, 8.0s.  Hope I can find more like these once this one wears out. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

LebowskisRug

« Reply #29457 on: October 25, 2021, 08:45:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There is no washer on this "kingpin", it's what's known as a button head bolt. The top piece is a solid Ti disc with no recess.

The marks on the top bushing are from using Krux download kingpins: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108560.720

I'd avoid Krux downlow kingpins for the aforementioned reasons listed in that thread.  :(

Ah gotcha, couldn’t see. Disregard and carry on

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #29458 on: October 26, 2021, 06:21:17 AM »

First Egg shape ( heroin symmetrical 9” )
Classic 55’s
Worn down speed lab slappy hour 99a
Pig rails
Spanky Slip Cup ( love these! )

Stoked on it so far!!

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #29459 on: October 26, 2021, 01:22:47 PM »

Not big enough for the big boy thread, not egg enough for the egg shape thread.

Passport 8.8 spade
159 hollows
Theeve Ti bolts
Some conical full 53s temporarily while I wait for OG classics
NOS Powell Thin Rib