Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4838228 times)

flocke and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Velcro Wallet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 216
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #30360 on: February 18, 2022, 05:44:52 PM »
Sorry if it’s been talked about before but does Louie skate his own custom shape? I’ve been looking at videos, IG etc. and they don’t seem to have the massive nose and tail set up. His boards look way more flat to me.

Or am I tripping and he rides normal FA decks??

zozu

• Rep: 122
« Reply #30361 on: February 18, 2022, 06:54:37 PM »
Sorry if it’s been talked about before but does Louie skate his own custom shape? I’ve been looking at videos, IG etc. and they don’t seem to have the massive nose and tail set up. His boards look way more flat to me.

Or am I tripping and he rides normal FA decks??

He skates the Mason Silva Real shape, 8.28 x 31.7, 14.12 wheelbase.
When I watched his most recent IG his board even looked smaller than normal so maybe he's changed up from that.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #30362 on: February 18, 2022, 07:31:22 PM »
I'm getting a complete tomorrow. Got everything else figured out except what trucks. I've mostly ridden indys and ventures but now there's so much shit to get into weeds about that I'm not sure

The deck I'm looking at is 8.25 x 31.25 w/ 14.25 wb

Right now I'm torn between venture and Indy mids and kinda aces although I've never tried them.

How steep are the kicks? For what it’s worth, I have a Quasi mono (P.S. Stix pressed) with similar dimensions, and Venture 5.6 Hi feel great on it.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #30363 on: February 18, 2022, 09:07:13 PM »
First post, been lurking. Really stoked on this setup after 1 session. Love the Passport shape, nearly twin with 14.38 wheelbase.

Now I'm interested! Passport graphics are always spot on, perfect for the discerning older skater who doesn't want to look like a try hard.

Expand Quote

Almonte shop deck 8.5
149’s I didn’t know I had with Bones mediums
OJ elite 55/54
Pig rail with some added curve

Sizing down after riding 8.75-9.5 on Ace 55’s for the last few months
[close]

This is a thing of beauty.

Damn that's a good graphic, wall worthy.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #30364 on: February 19, 2022, 12:09:06 AM »
Been a minute, but here's my latest:
• Isle Skateboards Sylvain Tognelli 8.5"
• Indy 149 Hollow base, Standard hangar
• Spitfire 54mm (smaller now I'm sure) F4 CF 101d
• Mob Grip ft. two dead homies and skate crew
• Emerica Spanky G6 as chillers

Bonus: some randos built a movable ramp at the local

Super Champion Fun Zone

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #30365 on: February 19, 2022, 11:00:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

It would be even more funny if it had a DLX number stamp on top too, as per another brand deck I saw recently.

Not a worry either way, but sometimes I wonder if they didn't have too many of that shape cut, so they used them for other brands too.

[close]

Got a Deathwish board a few months back and when I peeled back the warning sticker I saw an “IV” indent in it. Thought that was pretty amusing.

[close]

What size / shape was that one?

Guessing either the 8.38 or the 8.45 with the shorter wheelbase (same as DLX 8.5) as I know those two are the same, but there could easily be others I don't usually see or skate too.
[close]
It was labeled as 8.475 x 31.875 but the dimensions felt all off. Could have very well been the 8.5 DLX shape.
[close]

I forgot the extra 7 in there, as in 8.475 but yes that is the one.

Had one here and put it over the blue eagle and it is pretty much the same, but still not exactly the same.

Makes sense.
[close]
Which is crazy because the baker 8.475 shape is something completely in and of itself. You would expect the Deathwish 8.475 to be similar to the baker one but it’s not at all.
[close]

How are they different? I always thought Baker and Deathwish used the same shapes
[close]
The baker one is really pointy and is usually pretty flat. The Deathwish 8.475 has a bit more of a rounder slightly blunted out shape and is a lot more concavey feeling. The Deathwish 8.475 used to feel the same as the baker ones but the past couple years or so they just feel completely different.

Interesting! Thanks for breaking that down

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #30366 on: February 19, 2022, 09:06:36 PM »

Made myself a Christmas complete because I was bored tonight.

Heroin Symmetrical Egg 9.75” wide with 14.25” wb
Film Trucks 165 - 6.5
Bronze hardware
Bones Big Balls
Spitfire Conical Full 54mm 99a
Jessup
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

FUBAR

• Rep: 240
« Reply #30367 on: February 20, 2022, 06:39:31 AM »
^^^the local has that Tognelli Isle deck on sale and Ive been eyeing it. Looks good!

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #30368 on: February 20, 2022, 10:26:48 AM »

Chocolate Hecox Carl Aikens Pro
G052

8.25" x 31.875"
Wheelbase: 14"

Venture 5.6 (Stock tightness/Stock Washers)
Jessup Grip
WKND Allen Hardware 1”
Spitfire F4 Radial Bobby Worrest 54mm
Modus 7S

Support your Local SkZumiez :)
Trucks, Hardware, and Bearings were all scooped for a ridiculous sale price.

New Balance NM1010 Tiago First Colorway

Justrollingthru

• Rep: 4
« Reply #30369 on: February 20, 2022, 05:58:00 PM »
Fucking a y'all. This is my first pair of spitfire wheels and holy shit it's hard to get the bearings in them.

I have a bearing press but unfortunately its in storage right now so I had to get creative. I don't wanna do it where you tighten the axle nuts down on them right cause I don't wanna fuck up my bearings especially since I don't have spacers.

Do y'all know if I could find some bearing spacers type hardware at a local hardware shop?

•Magenta 90s shape 8.25
•Venture vlights (1 Indy 94a bushing and one stock venture bushing)
•spitfire og classics formula 4
•indy gp 7/8 nuts and bolts
•Bones china reds (solid ass bearings) wish I woulda tried big balls tho

Also this is the first picture I've posted on here and I had to resize it using some random website so excuse me if it looks like dogshit

Landmine

• Rep: 185
« Reply #30370 on: February 20, 2022, 06:21:34 PM »
Fucking a y'all. This is my first pair of spitfire wheels and holy shit it's hard to get the bearings in them.

I have a bearing press but unfortunately its in storage right now so I had to get creative. I don't wanna do it where you tighten the axle nuts down on them right cause I don't wanna fuck up my bearings especially since I don't have spacers.

Do y'all know if I could find some bearing spacers type hardware at a local hardware shop?

•Magenta 90s shape 8.25

Also this is the first picture I've posted on here and I had to resize it using some random website so excuse me if it looks like dogshit

Spitfires always seem a bit tighter, but i just stack up the bearings over the axle and press the wheel down until it's seated. 

Justrollingthru

« Reply #30371 on: February 20, 2022, 06:26:47 PM »
Oh word that's a good idea. I'm gonna give it a shot. Yeah from mostly skating bones, rictas, and ojs, these spitfires are tight tight which isn't really a bad thing just more difficult if you don't have the right tools.

This is my first pair of spitfires I always skated bones stf but I'm super stoked to try these. They look sick too imo

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #30372 on: February 20, 2022, 06:51:08 PM »
Oh word that's a good idea. I'm gonna give it a shot. Yeah from mostly skating bones, rictas, and ojs, these spitfires are tight tight which isn't really a bad thing just more difficult if you don't have the right tools.

This is my first pair of spitfires I always skated bones stf but I'm super stoked to try these. They look sick too imo

Which spitfires did you get? I recently been into bones v5 shape and got V4s that are 103 and fuck they are hard as hell. I’m into the hardness but boy are they slick. Also putting the bearings on your truck and then pushing the wheel down on them like said above is the truth. You can take them out that way too by prying the bearing with the truck end.   

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #30373 on: February 20, 2022, 07:11:29 PM »

•Magenta 90s shape 8.25

If they still don’t want to go in by pressing the wheel on the axle you can add a drop of Speed Cream or some other type of oil to the core of the wheel and spread it with your finger or a q-tip.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #30374 on: February 20, 2022, 08:15:30 PM »

•Magenta 90s shape 8.25

Almost all of my spits have been by far easier to get bearings in as opposed to Bones/OJ. One exception, the last set of 53 conical fulls I had have the same issue. Tried stacking bearings on the axel and putting my whole body weight to get it in and no luck. I got frustrated and beat it in with a hammer. Not the smartest move by far but I wasn't using new bearings so I didn't really care. All to say, there are QC issues with every product. Hopefully they treat you well otherwise.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 628
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #30375 on: February 21, 2022, 11:51:51 AM »

Old:
The Killing Floor 8.38, snapped the tail on a switch ollie on flat somehow

New:
Grimple 8.25 w/ 14.38WB although it looks different it is basically identical to the TKF
Indy 149 Ti Forged Hollow that I just found out were Ti. Blue aftermarket bushings, which feel softer than the 90A aftermarket
Bronze 1" Allen that is still black after like 6 setups.
52mm Classics now 51
Swiss Six
Yezoop grip.

Yeah seriously, what is up with the blue aftermarket bushings? I am waiting since two months that they firm up. I am running them nuts flush with 144 tits and sometimes they are perfect. Sometimes they feel way too soft and that one day they felt way too hard. Every session is a surprise ^^

I just don't have much time now to skate due to some real life issues.

Btw. awesome setup mate.
IG: @flowterspace

LebowskisRug

« Reply #30376 on: February 21, 2022, 01:01:55 PM »
Thanks! They actually ended up firming up a ton. I loosened my trucks a full turn but the turn was never quite as sharp so I have some oranges in again.

Doosh215

• Rep: 61
« Reply #30377 on: February 21, 2022, 04:10:14 PM »
Christmas complete that I recently broke my leg on so now all I can do is scroll through slap

8" Alien Joey O'Brien pro debut board (gotta support the local guy)
5.2 Venture Low V-Lights
52 Bones STF Retros 103a V1
Bones Swiss
Regular Jessup
7/8 Allen Diamond Yuto Hardware (I just liked the green bolt)

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #30378 on: February 21, 2022, 04:20:04 PM »

The homie Herb hooked it up today.

Justrollingthru

« Reply #30379 on: February 21, 2022, 08:25:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Which spitfires did you get?

I ended up getting spitfire og classics formula 4s. I really like the shape. First pair of spitfires and I'm hyped

Justrollingthru

« Reply #30380 on: February 21, 2022, 08:31:59 PM »
Fuck it I just went for it finally. I ordered ace performance/af1 pivot cups on accident without even thinking if they would fit with my new vlights and I decided to just go for it. I really didn't wanna destroy my venture cups in case the ace cups didn't fit but yo I was able to pry them out in one piece without an issue.

Now I have ace pivot cups in my ventures, with independent 94a conical bushings on the feet side. Haven't ridden it yet but I'm super stoked it's all set up.

The ace cups fit very nicely, very good tolerance.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #30381 on: February 21, 2022, 08:42:20 PM »
Fuck it I just went for it finally. I ordered ace performance/af1 pivot cups on accident without even thinking if they would fit with my new vlights and I decided to just go for it. I really didn't wanna destroy my venture cups in case the ace cups didn't fit but yo I was able to pry them out in one piece without an issue.

Now I have ace pivot cups in my ventures, with independent 94a conical bushings on the feet side. Haven't ridden it yet but I'm super stoked it's all set up.

The ace cups fit very nicely, very good tolerance.
I'm an idiot and ordered "deluxe" pivot cups thinking they were some new hot shit primo formula not realizing they're DLX pivot cups. Maybe they'll fit my Ace or Indy...

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #30382 on: February 21, 2022, 09:49:43 PM »

Film Trucks 165 - 6.5
Bronze hardware
Bones Big Balls
Jessup

nice setup.. the 9.75 is one of my favourite symmetrical egg..

Justrollingthru

« Reply #30383 on: February 21, 2022, 09:54:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Maybe they'll fit my Ace or Indy...

What trucks did you get them for? Aces? Might be worth a shot to try them. I mean I got ace cups onto ventures. From what I see venture, Indy, ace, etc they all look like pretty similar cups

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #30384 on: February 22, 2022, 06:45:55 AM »
Expand Quote

•Magenta 90s shape 8.25

[close]

Spitfires always seem a bit tighter, but i just stack up the bearings over the axle and press the wheel down until it's seated.
I use my rubber hammer, it makes it way easier.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #30385 on: February 22, 2022, 07:07:58 AM »
Based on all the positiv feedback in the "New Royals Thread" i was curious and they were on sale so..

TKF 8.25x31.9 14.25 Wheelbase
New Royals 144 Standard
Spitfire Tablets 53mm 99a, arround 52,6
Older Bronson Ceramics
Shortys 1" hardware
Jessup Ultra
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #30386 on: February 22, 2022, 07:16:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

•Magenta 90s shape 8.25

[close]

[close]
I use my rubber hammer, it makes it way easier.

Don't mean to be pedantic, but that fucks up the races. The easy way to install bearings without damaging them is to put a 5/8 socket on the outer race of the bearing and press/pound/abuse it into the wheel.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #30387 on: February 22, 2022, 09:18:22 AM »
Christmas complete that I recently broke my leg on so now all I can do is scroll through slap

8" Alien Joey O'Brien pro debut board (gotta support the local guy)
5.2 Venture Low V-Lights
52 Bones STF Retros 103a V1
Bones Swiss
Regular Jessup
7/8 Allen Diamond Yuto Hardware (I just liked the green bolt)

Nice

Wheel base on that puppy?

FrontsideFrank

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #30388 on: February 22, 2022, 01:48:24 PM »
Got carried away and forgot to grab a pic when crispy.

Heroin 9.25 symetrical
Mob grip
Single jawn
Film 6.0s
Spit F4 101 conicals
Bones Swiss 6s
7/8 hardware

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #30389 on: February 22, 2022, 03:37:27 PM »

Film Trucks 165 - 6.5
Bronze hardware
Bones Big Balls
Jessup

Got carried away and forgot to grab a pic when crispy.

Heroin 9.25 symetrical
Mob grip
Single jawn
Film 6.0s
Spit F4 101 conicals
Bones Swiss 6s
7/8 hardware

Been a minute since checking this thread but the wood stains really stand out nicely on those two boards.

I don't recall seeing that colour green stain a whole lot either, but I know it is on some older boards I have too, so it can't be anything new.

Guess it is just looking a whole lot better without a full graphic I have to scratch off first.