Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4846032 times)

fredgallSOTY

Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #30390 on: February 22, 2022, 03:43:16 PM »

in-between decks

random polar 8.75 thats basically broken, i found in the back of the shop
ventures w ace bushings (8.5 length)
53mm spitfires
stickers by me

it sucks!

Doosh215

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #30391 on: February 22, 2022, 03:58:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Christmas complete that I recently broke my leg on so now all I can do is scroll through slap

8" Alien Joey O'Brien pro debut board (gotta support the local guy)
5.2 Venture Low V-Lights
52 Bones STF Retros 103a V1
Bones Swiss
Regular Jessup
7/8 Allen Diamond Yuto Hardware (I just liked the green bolt)
[close]

Nice

Wheel base on that puppy?
I think it's 14.25. Anyone know why the picture didn't post? I'm new here. Put it in the attachment part but it doesn't show. And I see other people have the image embedded. What the hell am I doing wrong lol

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #30392 on: February 22, 2022, 04:25:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Christmas complete that I recently broke my leg on so now all I can do is scroll through slap

5.2 Venture Low V-Lights
Bones Swiss
Regular Jessup
[close]

Nice

[close]
I think it's 14.25. Anyone know why the picture didn't post? I'm new here. Put it in the attachment part but it doesn't show. And I see other people have the image embedded. What the hell am I doing wrong lol

i see the attachment for what it's worth. but to embed, there's some white text just below the post reply text box on the left side that says " • Add image to post". it's actually a link even though it doesn't really look like it. from there you can upload to imgbb and get the embed codes etc

Doosh215

• Rep: 61
« Reply #30393 on: February 22, 2022, 06:23:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

5.2 Venture Low V-Lights
Bones Swiss
Regular Jessup
[close]

Nice

[close]
[close]

i see the attachment for what it's worth. but to embed, there's some white text just below the post reply text box on the left side that says " • Add image to post". it's actually a link even though it doesn't really look like it. from there you can upload to imgbb and get the embed codes etc

Ah shit I don't know how I missed that. Thank you much appreciated.

Justrollingthru

• Rep: 4
« Reply #30394 on: February 22, 2022, 07:33:22 PM »
Having issues with bones reds and spitfires.

First pair of spitfire wheels ever. Also first time putting bearings in wheels without a bearing press in long ass time.

I got two wheels squared away, they spin straight on the axel and don't make any noise. (I put these on the back truck)

The other two wheels are still wobbling on the axle a bit although it feels like the bearings are in there good, and one out of those two wheels is straight up barely spinning on the axle and it is not making a smooth noise.

Should I just take the bearings out of the front wheels and try again?

Justrollingthru

« Reply #30395 on: February 22, 2022, 09:12:16 PM »
Fuck it I just ordered a bearing press. It's a really useful tool to have.

Right now I'm holding a baggie of 8 bearings in my hand. I don't have a scale but the weight of all of them together is pretty significant.

Titanium is a surprisingly lightweight material that can also be stronger than steel depending on the application + extremely corrosion resistant.

Maybe the next move for bearing technology would be titanium races/rings. That's would definitely shave some weight. Titanium is expensive though

Justrollingthru

« Reply #30396 on: February 22, 2022, 10:04:03 PM »

Made myself a Christmas complete because I was bored tonight.

Heroin Symmetrical Egg 9.75” wide with 14.25” wb
Film Trucks 165 - 6.5
Bronze hardware
Bones Big Balls
Spitfire Conical Full 54mm 99a
Jessup

these are sick. i would be hyped if they made them in 8.25. love that shape tho. how are the big balls? fuck i shoulda tried em but i got reds instead

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 828
« Reply #30397 on: February 23, 2022, 01:48:52 AM »

Toy Machine OG monster 8.37 x 31.9 14.1wb
Film standard 5.5
NFG 54mm v-cut 95a crust formula
Reds
Grizzly 70 grit

Watson lam wood. I hear mixed reviews about them sometimes but I really like it a lot. It has the same kind of light feel as PS stix but without the flex. Very easy to skate despite not exactly being mellow. I dig this mold too, I've had a few different decks on it and it's got a very utilitarian, old school feel. Not much concave and med kicks in both size and angle. It's no-frills but somehow not boring.

I actually put this together because my back is fucked up and I wanted something a little bigger and flatter to do slappies with but ollies feel so good on this thing. Its not light by any means but it's a floater so I even had time to bone one out a little. Flip tricks are kinda lazy and roll more than spiral (probably due to the lack of concave) so I landed exactly one SpaceX sponsored fakie flip but I only got like a dozen total attempts in before I had to give up and get the ice pack. Fuck sciatica.

Overall really enjoy this setup but I may have killed it already. Got caught in a nasty rainstorm on my way home and it got really wet, guess we'll have to wait and see how it plays out.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #30398 on: February 23, 2022, 05:38:09 AM »
What were the top markings on the Toy Machine deck? The ones I've been seeing out there have the white sticker with the text MADE IN CHINA.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

The_9

• Rep: 22
« Reply #30399 on: February 23, 2022, 06:49:08 AM »
Fuck it I just ordered a bearing press. It's a really useful tool to have.

Right now I'm holding a baggie of 8 bearings in my hand. I don't have a scale but the weight of all of them together is pretty significant.

Titanium is a surprisingly lightweight material that can also be stronger than steel depending on the application + extremely corrosion resistant.

Maybe the next move for bearing technology would be titanium races/rings. That's would definitely shave some weight. Titanium is expensive though

Modus already make ti bearings. To rings, and balls with nylon cages.

baegis

• Rep: 33
« Reply #30400 on: February 23, 2022, 06:50:37 AM »

Quasi 8.25, Venture 5.6, 52mm 99d conical full, Bones Reds big balls, Mob

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #30401 on: February 23, 2022, 07:52:18 AM »

Quasi 8.25, Venture 5.6, 52mm 99d conical full, Bones Reds big balls, Mob

Quasi Christmas complete! Nice color coordination with the yellow bones and yellow bolt. It's the little things.   ;D
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #30402 on: February 23, 2022, 09:47:45 AM »
yeah that quasi setup is very visually pleasing for me as well lol good shit

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1309
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #30403 on: February 23, 2022, 10:38:07 AM »
Untitled by
8.5 Limosine
149 Lurpiv
7/8 phillips
Olympia Silver bearings
58mm Spitfire classics f4
Jessup
Sleeping yorkie poo with long wb (haven't measured)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #30404 on: February 23, 2022, 11:05:44 AM »
Untitled by
8.5 Limosine
149 Lurpiv
7/8 phillips
Olympia Silver bearings
58mm Spitfire classics f4
Jessup
Sleeping yorkie poo with long wb (haven't measured)

Everything.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 316
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #30405 on: February 23, 2022, 11:12:08 AM »
purple stain under silver limosine graphic looks great!

animalflesh

« Reply #30406 on: February 23, 2022, 12:45:47 PM »
Sick one Zach makes me want films

Krooked Ray Barbee
159/ bones medium
lil jawns
56mm k9 wheels
1/4 risers
Jessup

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 633
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #30407 on: February 24, 2022, 12:43:21 PM »
Sick one Zach makes me want films

Krooked Ray Barbee
159/ bones medium
lil jawns
56mm k9 wheels
1/4 risers
Jessup

That is beautiful, take a gnar. :)
IG: @flowterspace

animalflesh

« Reply #30408 on: February 25, 2022, 08:07:29 AM »
Thanks my dude(:

Can’t recommend this shape enough

antarctica

• Rep: 21
  • why
« Reply #30409 on: February 25, 2022, 02:35:40 PM »
Empire shop deck 8.125
Venture 5.6 Andrew Wilson
Spitfire F4 classic full 53
Jessup

Argyle

• Rep: 40
« Reply #30410 on: February 25, 2022, 03:37:21 PM »
Empire shop deck 8.125
Jessup

Nice setup. Regular cons or pros?

antarctica

• Rep: 21
  • why
« Reply #30411 on: February 25, 2022, 06:39:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Empire shop deck 8.125
Jessup

[close]

Nice setup. Regular cons or pros?
Thx man, and regular cons always, i honestly cant skate anything else at this point lol theyre just too good

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30412 on: February 26, 2022, 01:32:46 AM »
What were the top markings on the Toy Machine deck? The ones I've been seeing out there have the white sticker with the text MADE IN CHINA.

None. It's from the summer 2020 run Watson did of OG monsters and foundation ovals. The Tumyeto size sticker will say "made in USA" if its Watson though.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30413 on: February 26, 2022, 02:07:26 AM »

Brujaria "momia" 8.25" x 31.9" 14.25" wb
Grind King disruptor 5.5 (8.12" axle)
Spitfire F4 classic 52mm
Pepper grip
half rusted set of Swiss 6

So I've been stoked on Brujaria graphics and general vibe for a while but the stars never quite aligned for me to get one. The owner is active on here and we talk wood from time to time so when he told me he not only had new graphics but the boards were from Prime (who I've been wanting to investigate more thoroughly) I knew I had to grab one. The shape is great, I'd say kicks are on the mellow side of medium, concave is medium, and it has a really nice taper without being pointy.

Just rolling around the basement and sloppin a few ollies it feels weird but that's almost certainly down to the GKs which I've only skated once or twice before. I'm going to have to adjust to them before I can really form an opinion on the board. I believe it's the same mold as the shortys muska deck that I really liked on old ventures, so I can always pop a pair of those on too.

PS - he hooked me up with free grip and a mountain of stickers. And they're really fucking cool ones too. Huge, huge shout out and tons of love to @El Chupacabra for that. Support this dude, he makes really cool shit.

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #30414 on: February 26, 2022, 03:59:04 AM »

Spitfire F4 classic 52mm
Pepper grip

So I've been stoked on Brujaria graphics and general vibe for a while but the stars never quite aligned for me to get one. The owner is active on here and we talk wood from time to time so when he told me he not only had new graphics but the boards were from Prime (who I've been wanting to investigate more thoroughly) I knew I had to grab one. The shape is great, I'd say kicks are on the mellow side of medium, concave is medium, and it has a really nice taper without being pointy.

Just rolling around the basement and sloppin a few ollies it feels weird but that's almost certainly down to the GKs which I've only skated once or twice before. I'm going to have to adjust to them before I can really form an opinion on the board. I believe it's the same mold as the shortys muska deck that I really liked on old ventures, so I can always pop a pair of those on too.

PS - he hooked me up with free grip and a mountain of stickers. And they're really fucking cool ones too. Huge, huge shout out and tons of love to @El Chupacabra for that. Support this dude, he makes really cool shit.

Looks fire

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #30415 on: February 26, 2022, 05:17:30 AM »
I really want the World Tree deck in 8.75 if they come back in stock. His multi color risersook badass too.

How are the Disruptors?

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30416 on: February 26, 2022, 06:49:25 AM »
I really want the World Tree deck in 8.75 if they come back in stock. His multi color risersook badass too.

How are the Disruptors?

Hes done a lot of cool shit. His stickers are awesome and I thought the coffin wax looked sick too. He's good about responding and he posts here so maybe shoot him a PM and see what's up.

Already swapping the trucks. I can't find my GK tool and they're too tight, especially in the cold. I'll probably put them back on a wknd CT shape for basement flat ground. Thinking about ace 03 or mini logo to try and make things easier on my back when i can actually pop more than a few times again.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 814
« Reply #30417 on: February 26, 2022, 07:10:34 AM »

Spitfire F4 classic 52mm
Pepper grip

Stoked to see him doing more boards.  Had a lot of prime blanks and they’re great.  Colored bottom ply?
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #30418 on: February 26, 2022, 08:46:41 AM »
Sick! Thanks for the kind words.

Momia is one of my personal favorite graphics. My motto is "creepy not evil" and this one I feel captures that vibe perfectly. Its  Guanajuato mummy, one of many cholera victims whose families were extorted by corrupt local officials to keep the bodies buried, so the poorer families stashed their loved ones in caves around town.
Turns out the Mexican desert is very arid and natural mummies formed very quickly. Result, really scary initially but in reality simply tragic.
I try to build narratives into every graphic.

As for the tree deck, short answer is maybe it'll come back? This is a passion project for me. I made a run at doing a "real" skate company but quickly grew disenchanted with the industry. Don't do what you love kids.
I do runs when I can. I have a side hustle of selling skateboard equipment to the film industry (if you've seen a skateboard in a commercial there's a good chance I supplied it) and that's what pays for Bru. When I do a production sale, I usually run 100 or so boards along with blank purchases. This most recent run was bought by a big Japanese car company starring a Primitive guy who rips.

Prime is local for me and I've been working with them for years, both running Bru and doing graphics and occasional design projects here and there for them.

As for stickers, I love stickers. Fun to make and fun to stoke people out on!

Glad you guys dig it!

Frank and Fred

« Reply #30419 on: February 26, 2022, 04:26:02 PM »
I'm in between Huffers... This could go in the Twin Tail, Egg or 9" threads but I'll leave it here...

9" Symmertrical
Stage 8/ 11 159s with Krux DL and 88a barrel bushings, Real Universal wooden risers
54mm Loophole Jameel Douglas, Bones 6ball.