Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4809565 times)

TurdyBird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #30960 on: April 27, 2022, 11:14:13 PM »
Perforations had me worried when I got some. I hate MOB grip.

This is like jessup but I think better.
The chillest1

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #30961 on: April 27, 2022, 11:23:20 PM »
I'll never understand the mob grip hate.  ???

Between Pepper and Miles coming into the mix, it seems like these two have the potential to be the next generation's Mob and Jessup. Based on team, image, and tech rolled into their products.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #30962 on: April 28, 2022, 12:14:18 AM »

Between Pepper and Miles coming into the mix, it seems like these two have the potential to be the next generation's Mob and Jessup. Based on team, image, and tech rolled into their products.

Soooo. Mob. You still skate vulcs and if so what?

nitro89

• Rep: 88
« Reply #30963 on: April 28, 2022, 12:46:38 AM »

hates a strong word, personally I just find that mobs a shoe killer, granted Jessup doesn't last as long but I go through boards quite regularly say every 1-2months depending on what/where I'm skating (I like that fresh pop) so that doesn't come into play for me. I just don't want to have to fork out for a board and a new pair of shoes every time if that makes sense. this shits getting pricey.

"Skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. It owes you wheelbite in the rain" - Jake Phelps"

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #30964 on: April 28, 2022, 02:12:57 AM »

Which leads to the question: What‘s the difference between Miles and Pepper? I am a former Mob guy but now I have Miles and love it.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #30965 on: April 28, 2022, 05:31:38 AM »

I definitely can understand personal preference on grip, what I cannot for the life of me understand is giving a shit what someone else is skating.
ok thanks

LebowskisRug

« Reply #30966 on: April 28, 2022, 07:11:28 AM »

I find Mob annoying to apply and just don’t need that much grip. I would rather ride it over Grizzly which is too slick out of the box. Anything is better than grip with graphics on it.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #30967 on: April 28, 2022, 08:25:16 AM »
MOB's been super disappointing lately because for me the adhesive seems much worse than before. Jessup Ultra has been my go to now. As grippy as MOB, but with much better adhesive.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #30968 on: April 28, 2022, 08:40:45 AM »
I only like Mob on my rain setup. But I also sand down regular Jessup grip. And yes, my shoes last a good while.
IG: @flowterspace

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #30969 on: April 28, 2022, 09:11:44 AM »
shout out to everyone who threw in their 2¢ re: pepper, big thanks. i feel so old/out of touch having missed their marketing entirely, but i also have a roll of jessup so that's probably why lol

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #30970 on: April 28, 2022, 10:36:31 AM »

Polar Dane 1
Indy 169 Ti
Spitfire 55mm F4 classics
Swiss
Mob
Hardware

Shoutout to the good homie @IusedToSkateMore for the wheels

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #30971 on: April 28, 2022, 11:39:55 AM »
MOB's been super disappointing lately because for me the adhesive seems much worse than before. Jessup Ultra has been my go to now. As grippy as MOB, but with much better adhesive.

Jessup Ultra really is the top-tier griptape IMO. I grabbed a bunch of extra sheets from the Skate Warehouse Christmas sale, but now that I'm getting back some of my flippy tricks, I find that it's maybe even a little too grippy.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #30972 on: April 28, 2022, 12:12:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Jessup Ultra really is the top-tier griptape IMO. I grabbed a bunch of extra sheets from the Skate Warehouse Christmas sale, but now that I'm getting back some of my flippy tricks, I find that it's maybe even a little too grippy.

This is my quandary with the mob and the vulcs, I like the Ollie’s, I don’t like the half flips where the shoe stays stuck to the griptape. I’m sure it’s a technique/me issue, wondering if the gains are worth the time to adjust

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #30973 on: April 28, 2022, 12:48:32 PM »

Hockey Donovon ‘Time Out’ 8.5" x 31.91", 14.25"
Ace 44 Classics on their last leg
Spitfire Tablet 52
Reds shieldless and dry
Bender 7/8” phillips
Slappy Hour 14” rails
Mob Rules All

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 824
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #30974 on: April 28, 2022, 01:23:42 PM »

First polar board
Same shit as last time
Cons Sablone pro mid + OG lunarlon insole

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #30975 on: April 28, 2022, 01:59:28 PM »

First polar board
Same shit as last time
Cons Sablone pro mid + OG lunarlon insole

Been tempted to pull the trigger on those Cons since they came out

Doosh215

• Rep: 61
« Reply #30976 on: April 28, 2022, 02:24:28 PM »
I pretty much always skate jessup because I like that it isn't super grippy like mob. I find it better for flip tricks. But I just bought an Uma board directly from their site, and it came with a free sheet of Pepper so I guess I'll be trying it out. I think the last time I had grip that wasn't jessup was Black magic way back in the day.

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #30977 on: April 29, 2022, 01:08:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This is my quandary with the mob and the vulcs, I like the Ollie’s, I don’t like the half flips where the shoe stays stuck to the griptape. I’m sure it’s a technique/me issue, wondering if the gains are worth the time to adjust

This is one reason I could never get down with vulcs and Vans soles in particular. The board feel is great, but they're too grippy and could never adjust to them for anything other than ollies. Then as old age set in, vulcs were just not happening due to their lack of cushioning and support.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #30978 on: April 29, 2022, 09:00:20 AM »
I pretty much always skate jessup because I like that it isn't super grippy like mob. I find it better for flip tricks. But I just bought an Uma board directly from their site, and it came with a free sheet of Pepper so I guess I'll be trying it out. I think the last time I had grip that wasn't jessup was Black magic way back in the day.

I'm a fan of pepper now, better grip than jessup but not has chunky as mob + air bubble perforations.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 165
« Reply #30979 on: April 30, 2022, 03:41:10 AM »
A lill note on pepper grip for EU pals, it should be available here soon too.  It's available on 24/7 distribution now so it should find its way into shops , at least in Germany, pretty soon.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #30980 on: April 30, 2022, 05:36:57 AM »
A lill note on pepper grip for EU pals, it should be available here soon too.  It's available on 24/7 distribution now so it should find its way into shops , at least in Germany, pretty soon.

FTC Barcelona have it. Free with deck purchase

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #30981 on: April 30, 2022, 08:51:26 AM »
Pennswood 8.75 with a 14”wb (had a short flat ground sesh and it will take a little time to adjust but I love it so far. Wish it had clear on the bottom though)
Thunder 149 team hollow lights (Indy 92a top with stock bottom gonna see how this feels for a bit before putting the 92a conical bottom in)
54mm spitfire conical regs
Bones big balls
Ranger hardware
Pepper grip. (If it can hold up as well as mob it will be my 1st choice for grip. Grippier than jessup. Less grippy than mob. Today on my short session. It feels like my old worn in mob. So kinda perfect and I hope when it gets broke in it will be like new jessup. )

« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 09:46:17 AM by Murge »

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #30982 on: April 30, 2022, 10:01:02 AM »

Quasi 9.0 World W
Ace af1 55
55mm Slime Balls 95a
Oust Moc 9 bearings
Jessup grip

digging the 'pile of stickers' technique you have here

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #30983 on: May 01, 2022, 04:27:33 AM »

Polar Dane 1
Indy 169 Ti
Spitfire 55mm F4 classics
Swiss
Mob
Hardware

This set up rules. That pink stain makes it the sweeter. Hats off!

Shoutout to the good homie @IusedToSkateMore for the wheels

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #30984 on: May 01, 2022, 04:55:44 AM »

Hockey AA 8.5 14.25WB
Pepper grip
Ace AF1 44’s stock
   -1/16” Ace shock pads
   -1/8” Ace risers
1 1/8” Shorty’s Phillips hardware
Dogtown 60mm 97a’s
Bones Super Swiss 6 balls

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #30985 on: May 01, 2022, 05:53:03 AM »

I thought I was the only one there for a second. Mob that I bought had been bubbling and peeling before even skating. Thought I was doing someone wrong even though I’ve gripped a lot of boards. Did jessup on my most recent set up and there was no issue. Mob must have had some pandemic production issues.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #30986 on: May 01, 2022, 09:02:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I thought I was the only one there for a second. Mob that I bought had been bubbling and peeling before even skating. Thought I was doing someone wrong even though I’ve gripped a lot of boards. Did jessup on my most recent set up and there was no issue. Mob must have had some pandemic production issues.
I agree with the mob issue. I setup my last board with jessup ultra and it was amazing. Setup my most recent board with mob and it was like bubbled around the hardware holes.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #30987 on: May 01, 2022, 09:17:26 AM »

Hockey AA 8.5 14.25WB
Pepper grip
Ace AF1 44’s stock
   -1/16” Ace shock pads
   -1/8” Ace risers
Dogtown 60mm 97a’s

Reminds me of something Nick Boserio would ride. How are the Dogtown wheels?

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #30988 on: May 01, 2022, 11:47:30 AM »

8.5 Ishod, was stamped III
53mm Classic OGs. Just put them on.  Biggest wheels I’ve skated in a while. So far, so rad.
8.5 Venture V Lights
Big, blocky board. Very fun for curbs but not for flippy time.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #30989 on: May 01, 2022, 02:05:47 PM »
Expand Quote

Hockey AA 8.5 14.25WB
Pepper grip
Ace AF1 44’s stock
   -1/16” Ace shock pads
   -1/8” Ace risers
Dogtown 60mm 97a’s
[close]

Reminds me of something Nick Boserio would ride. How are the Dogtown wheels?

I’ve skated these wheels before a long time ago on some classic 44’s, they’re the shit. But I’ve never skated shock pads, can’t remember if I ever did as a kid. They enhance the experience of these wheels and soften bumps and shitty surfaces even more. No dead sound either. I will say though, I can break into a powerslide super easy on some Spitfire 97a’s. These take some serious effort but I don’t mind, I like how they’re extra grippy.