Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4786211 times)

Paperclip20

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #31110 on: May 19, 2022, 06:36:48 AM »
After a couple month vacation on a spare skinny setup due to a snapped kingpin, i'm back on an 8.25 now i've got some new trucks sorted.

Have to say, i'm enjoying it...twin tail seems to pair off well with thunder lights. Got some old Bones STF 50mm on it at the moment, need to sort another set of F4s at some point.

Thought i'd struggle a bit to get back on a wider board, but my kickflips on this actually felt better from the off, bit of a slower and more roomy flick and more floaty rather than the quick whip of a little board.

Chocolate CRob 8.25 TT
Thunder lights 148
Bones STF 50mm
Bronson G2s

Clean setup, I really dig the White border on there.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #31111 on: May 19, 2022, 06:43:39 AM »

Sci-Fi Ryan Lay 8.5

This is a picture from when I first set it up with Thunder 149's and F4 Classics.
Currently Switched over to AF1 44's with 55mm Conical Fulls that someone hooked me up with.

Shape is solid, although the WB is longer than my norm, and Ryan Lay is sick so i'm hyped on it.

nitro89

• Rep: 88
« Reply #31112 on: May 19, 2022, 06:59:16 AM »
After a couple month vacation on a spare skinny setup due to a snapped kingpin, i'm back on an 8.25 now i've got some new trucks sorted.

Have to say, i'm enjoying it...twin tail seems to pair off well with thunder lights. Got some old Bones STF 50mm on it at the moment, need to sort another set of F4s at some point.

Thought i'd struggle a bit to get back on a wider board, but my kickflips on this actually felt better from the off, bit of a slower and more roomy flick and more floaty rather than the quick whip of a little board.

Chocolate CRob 8.25 TT
Thunder lights 148
Bones STF 50mm
Bronson G2s

have you got a pic of the grip side, id like to see the shape of the nose and tail.

are they rounded or more pointy in your opinion?
"Skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. It owes you wheelbite in the rain" - Jake Phelps"

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #31113 on: May 19, 2022, 08:03:09 AM »

have you got a pic of the grip side, id like to see the shape of the nose and tail.

No pic... but deffo more rounded than pointy I would say- decent amount of room without feeling really blunt and squared off.

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
  • sweet, man.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31114 on: May 19, 2022, 10:39:47 AM »
Expand Quote

Chocolate CRob 8.25 TT
Thunder lights 148
Bones STF 50mm
Bronson G2s

[close]

please take the stickers off of your trucks

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #31115 on: May 19, 2022, 12:17:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Chocolate CRob 8.25 TT
Thunder lights 148
Bones STF 50mm
Bronson G2s

[close]

[close]

please take the stickers off of your trucks

*of of

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #31116 on: May 19, 2022, 05:02:14 PM »

Creature Gravette 8.375x32 w 14.5 wb
Ace AF1 55 - stock bushings
F4 Conicals - 54/101a
Quantum Atoms
Jessup

Debating putting rails on. 

Had this shape a couple years ago and really liked it. Full nose and everything worked well with Stage 8 146s. It flipped oddly well for a bigger wheelbase. I didn’t like the AF1s on other mellower decks, so giving them a go again. 

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #31117 on: May 19, 2022, 07:45:02 PM »
Not trying to scrutinize or even look down upon this with this notion/thought I have but Aces look hella scrawny to me. I read the AF1's and all I wanna think is "ya, they can barely hold up some 55mm by the looks of it!"

Obviously this logic is unsubstantiated but damnit, I thought it was fun to point out anyways! I say this as someone who has been curious about trying them out. I think the fact the axel looks so skinny is what holds me off. I'd rather not get indys due tot he symbolism (can't get past it sorry) but I feel like having a shorter wb truck and have no other option really.

I go on this tangent to get others to sell me. I wann ask my homies at teh skatepark but honestly. Hate bothering dudes with that shit when they are just there to skate. I'd at least feel that way, but wouldnt know!
The chillest1

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #31118 on: May 19, 2022, 08:02:56 PM »
Not trying to scrutinize or even look down upon this with this notion/thought I have but Aces look hella scrawny to me. I read the AF1's and all I wanna think is "ya, they can barely hold up some 55mm by the looks of it!"

Obviously this logic is unsubstantiated but damnit, I thought it was fun to point out anyways! I say this as someone who has been curious about trying them out. I think the fact the axel looks so skinny is what holds me off. I'd rather not get indys due tot he symbolism (can't get past it sorry) but I feel like having a shorter wb truck and have no other option really.

I go on this tangent to get others to sell me. I wann ask my homies at teh skatepark but honestly. Hate bothering dudes with that shit when they are just there to skate. I'd at least feel that way, but wouldnt know!

Ace Classics are in fact too skinny. If you skate them hard enough, especially with a lot of slappies, they bend.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #31119 on: May 19, 2022, 09:05:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ace Classics are in fact too skinny. If you skate them hard enough, especially with a lot of slappies, they bend.
Even if I had issues with bending, I’d still buy em. They’re not always what I want on every deck but they’re the most fun to ride in my opinion.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #31120 on: May 19, 2022, 09:35:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

•Sci-Fi Fantasy - 8.5X32x14.5WB
•Jessup Ultra
•Venture 5.8 standard - Krux Top/
Loose Conversion Bottom Barrel Bushing/3 washers in through all axels
•Spitfire F4 Classics- Ishod Black 55MM
•Modus 7S
•WKND Allen 1”

After coming off an 8.38 Eagle, this board picks up on the stability but the slightly steep nose makes it even better.
[close]
Aren’t the “loose” bottom bushings the same height/duro as stock?
[close]

How is it more stable when they have the same WB? My Alltimers 8.5, which is the same shape, felt anything but given how much steeper the nose was.
[close]

From skating pretty much only the BBS / DLX 8.38 and other BBS 8.5 normal shape, both with 14.5 wb, I would say that there is definitely a difference, the 8.38 being more nimble and easier to throw around, with the 8.5 being more all rounded and stable, just in the feel of them, even though there is not a whole lot between them.  I have a few of each always on the go, so I can understand coming from an 8.38 and now on the 8.5 how that would be.

With regard to the concave or angle of the kicks, I have to be on a board with more mellow kicks, otherwise everything feels off, so I can also understand if you have a board that is too steep, or too mellow or flat, it really affects how things go.

@Lowerback! I ended up chewing up the top bushing due to stock washer design of the trucks hence why I switched to the krux which was the original bushings that I had on before. Yes they’re the same height per bottom barrel but the duro feels different. Not soft but responsive.

@Mbrimson88 took the words out of what I was trying to say but it’s mostly due to the concave of the board. It made it more tippy w/ the loose conversion adding more looseness and the krux top. it made it squirrelly rather than stable surfy loose if that make sense. I much would rather have the venture “auto-steer” feel that centers the trucks straight with a slightly stiffer top bushing or normal height bushing than “max palmer” loose.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #31121 on: May 20, 2022, 03:09:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

yeah, both sets of 44s i had bent. it's nothing major and doesn't really affect the way they skate but the second one i skated for like 3-4 months through the winter and they still bent, almost as much as the first set which i skated for 2.5 years almost. supposedly this doesn't happen with the af1s though
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Frank and Fred

« Reply #31122 on: May 20, 2022, 08:33:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not fact at all. I went though 3 sets of classic 44s and two sets of 55s and I am a 200lb asshole who does a lot of slappies and had no bending whatsoever. I believe it happens but certainly not a given and not as much as people think. Some of the bending people reported was optical illusional based on the hanger shape. Again, not saying it doesn't happen.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #31123 on: May 20, 2022, 10:07:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Even if I had issues with bending, I’d still buy em. They’re not always what I want on every deck but they’re the most fun to ride in my opinion.

Yeah, I’d skate ‘em again. They were generous enough to warrant my Classics with some AF1s, so skate ‘em until they inevitably bend and then get an upgrade? Sounds like a good deal to me.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #31124 on: May 20, 2022, 12:15:07 PM »
I love this shape, nice long tail
Magenta 8.5 x 32.25 14.5 wb
Ace af1 55 w/hard bushings
Spitfire f4 og classic 54/99
Quantum isotopes
Bender Allen hardware
Pepper grip

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #31125 on: May 20, 2022, 12:33:47 PM »
Quantum isotopes
Bender Allen hardware
Pepper grip

What is the tail length? I've been looking for an 8.5 with a long tail

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31126 on: May 20, 2022, 12:36:50 PM »
Just under 7”.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #31127 on: May 20, 2022, 12:41:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Not fact at all. I went though 3 sets of classic 44s and two sets of 55s and I am a 200lb asshole who does a lot of slappies and had no bending whatsoever. I believe it happens but certainly not a given and not as much as people think. Some of the bending people reported was optical illusional based on the hanger shape. Again, not saying it doesn't happen.

The only trucks I’ve had that bent to be unusable were (what stage was indy on in 2001ish?) some indys (stage 8 or 9).
My stage 1 all white ace 33s (so sick), bent, but whatever. IF Quality Control is your thing, maybe don’t get classics. But they are fine imo. Truly.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #31128 on: May 20, 2022, 12:54:01 PM »
Quantum isotopes
Bender Allen hardware
Pepper grip

I love the way that blue dyed ply looks paired with the natural colored f4s

Get hungry on it!

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31129 on: May 20, 2022, 01:05:41 PM »
I have multiple setups of all sizes but this might be my favorite.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31131 on: May 20, 2022, 02:00:37 PM »
Does smith/feeble violate the forbidden 14 rule?

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #31132 on: May 20, 2022, 02:43:16 PM »
My first WKND board. Took it for a short session today and it feels pretty nice.

\

WKND Karsten Kleppan 8.5
Thunder 149 w/ Bones Mediums
Spitfire Conical Full 54 mm 99d
Bones Super Reds
Mob
Diamond Bolts
Skate Half Cabs

Justinshreds

• Rep: 4
« Reply #31133 on: May 20, 2022, 05:32:38 PM »

Real 8.3 ishod twin tail
Ace af1 44s with ace hard bushings
Spitfire f4 conical 52mm
Quantum isotopes
Mob

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2155
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #31134 on: May 21, 2022, 08:45:50 PM »

One of the two Clutch Z4 blanks I picked up recently. Hoping this one survives more than the spectacular 45 minutes the last one I had did. ‘’Twas a brief, but fiery affair and I’ve come back looking to get burned once again in pursuit of passionate shred making.
8.6 x 31.75, 14.5 WB
Frankenthunder Team 149s
F4 Coni 54s
Some ancient Bones Swiss
Shortys or Roughneck or some shit (they old but still work, so…)
Some crappy fine grit shop grip that feels like it’s gonna suck right from the jump, and a lazy razor job
Caution tape & Puffin stickies to break up that sea of red

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #31135 on: May 21, 2022, 09:19:50 PM »

There 8.5 (same shape as navy 18 eagle board)
Venture 5.8 (cast plates, titanium axles, dlx supercush 88a bushings, flat top washer)
Spitfire f4 53mm classic 99a
Swiss

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #31136 on: May 22, 2022, 12:24:46 AM »
Christmas complete courtesy of various recent sales and a yearn to start fresh since I beat Covid a few days ago!
Got three years out of those Indy hangars and now they'll become spares!

- The Killing Floor: 8.5"
- Indy 149 Standard Hollow w/ aftermarket 90 medium conical bushings - gonna take a bit to break these in but it'll be worth it since they're better than the stock barrel.
- Bones 103A STF V4 Wides: 54mm
- Bones Reds Bearings
- Shake Junt 1" Phillips
- Mob Grip
- Etnies Michelin Marana

Super Champion Fun Zone

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #31137 on: May 22, 2022, 02:56:19 AM »
Christmas complete courtesy of various recent sales and a yearn to start fresh since I beat Covid a few days ago!

- Indy 149 Standard Hollow w/ aftermarket 90 medium conical bushings - gonna take a bit to break these in but it'll be worth it since they're better than the stock barrel.
- Bones Reds Bearings
- Shake Junt 1" Phillips
- Mob Grip
- Etnies Michelin Marana

I copped 149 Hollows yesterday and was surprised how nice the stock bushings feel. No break in time required at all, they feel like I had been riding them forever. What is better about the aftermarkets in your opinion?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

nevrwasben

« Reply #31138 on: May 22, 2022, 07:33:08 AM »

- Bones Reds Bearings
- Shake Junt 1" Phillips
- Mob Grip
- Etnies Michelin Marana

TKF sooo pretty!!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #31139 on: May 22, 2022, 08:37:36 AM »

Baker 8.38
Indy 144 Hollow
Spitty 54 Classic Full entering the zen zone of 53