Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4801105 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #31800 on: August 19, 2022, 01:24:50 PM »

Those are Olympia Bearings, super good bearings from an East Coast company. They lasted me a long time. I think they’ll be great for commute man!

Nah they're random bearings I'm pretty sure are mini logos that I stuck whatever shields I had in the bottom of my parts bin on. There's also some reds shields and maybe a shake junt one you can't see. Sadly I rusted out the set of olympias the shields belonged to, but I have another set of the fancy ones with the blue shields somewhere. Really like their packaging and yeah the bearings are good. Pusher is another one that surprised me with how solid their bearings were before I rusted them out.

Dwyck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #31801 on: August 19, 2022, 06:32:59 PM »

Built a new "main" setup
Polar P9 - Strange shape that I think I have finally unlocked. Square tail and aces makes flip tricks (read: kickflips and fakie flips)fun. I went to the shop intent to buy the 8.6 Limo Max board but they didn't have it. and the P9 called to me like "Naaaarrrooowwer shaaaappped board toooonnns of fuuunnn. Thiiiis ussed to be Kevin Rodrigues's shaaape. Marbies board is tooo shoooorrt and deeeedz toooo narrrow"

Ace 44 classics - bottom bushing breaking in has been hilarious. they keep popping out. I could get flat washers but I'm just gonna sweat through it I think

Canal conical 55s that are burnt down and like 6 years old. Slide okay but roll like dogshit. One side is round like a classic and the other is a hardedge. I got inspired and ordered lockins in the mail

Slappies are all good. Baseplates slide like a dream
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #31802 on: August 19, 2022, 07:30:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Any one try the G027? Popsicle with shorter nose than tail.
[close]

I skated a G052, which is basically the same board scaled up to 8.25”, and I didn’t notice the tail/nose thing at all, but as I’ve mentioned here a few times I intensely disliked other aspects of the board and took it off very quickly.

This is more a personal matter, but I’ve still got it and now it’s not winter and I’m not unemployed doing the same tricks in the same spot feeling depressed all day, so I think I’ll probably give it another shot.

Update: Still hate it
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #31803 on: August 19, 2022, 07:32:38 PM »

Built a new "main" setup
Polar P9 - Strange shape that I think I have finally unlocked. Square tail and aces makes flip tricks (read: kickflips and fakie flips)fun. I went to the shop intent to buy the 8.6 Limo Max board but they didn't have it. and the P9 called to me like "Naaaarrrooowwer shaaaappped board toooonnns of fuuunnn. Thiiiis ussed to be Kevin Rodrigues's shaaape. Marbies board is tooo shoooorrt and deeeedz toooo narrrow"

Ace 44 classics - bottom bushing breaking in has been hilarious. they keep popping out. I could get flat washers but I'm just gonna sweat through it I think

Canal conical 55s that are burnt down and like 6 years old. Slide okay but roll like dogshit. One side is round like a classic and the other is a hardedge. I got inspired and ordered lockins in the mail

Slappies are all good. Baseplates slide like a dream

I love the P9 - one of my go-to shapes. I skate it with 159s and it flips like an 8". A really great shape that made me a fan of Polar.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #31804 on: August 19, 2022, 07:49:17 PM »

Been a minute since I posted in here. Had to get the dragons as I'm like the confluence of all the things they're apparently good for (old guy, urban commuter in rust belt city, no tech tricks to fuck up, gear nerd, eternally uncool etc etc) and saw the wrestling decks were on clearance so I couldn't resist.

- Enjoi Caswell Berry/Jake the Snake deck
8.25" x 31.9“ 14.25" wb. Mellow concave, steep kick mold
- Mini logo 8.38 trucks (s/o &&)
- Powell dragons 93a 54mm x 34mm v4 shape
- Mystery bearings that I'm pretty sure are mini logos
- Mob grip

First impression is holy shit not only do they slide, they slide better than F4 on the ground in my skate room. If nothing else these are going to make fucking around in the basement both more fun for me and a quieter for my neighbors. Gonna take them to the streets when I head to work and see how they handle the crust.

Mini logo trucks always look so crazy since the hanger dips toward the axles

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #31805 on: August 20, 2022, 02:35:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Been a minute since I posted in here. Had to get the dragons as I'm like the confluence of all the things they're apparently good for (old guy, urban commuter in rust belt city, no tech tricks to fuck up, gear nerd, eternally uncool etc etc) and saw the wrestling decks were on clearance so I couldn't resist.

- Mob grip

First impression is holy shit not only do they slide, they slide better than F4 on the ground in my skate room. If nothing else these are going to make fucking around in the basement both more fun for me and a quieter for my neighbors. Gonna take them to the streets when I head to work and see how they handle the crust.
[close]

This one looks fun
[close]

So far so good

First impressions are that I kinda like the deck, the wheels I'm still getting used to. They're definitely faster and smoother on certain crust but on other spots I've been kinda underwhelmed by their ability to absorb the rattle but that's probably partially down to not being used to riding a round cut as well. 56mm v6 in this formula would likely float over the big cracks and gaps a lot better. They have a little bounce to them that makes landing feel way better. I could definitely see these extending a session the same way good insoles do. The slide is inconsistent but I'm hoping that'll improve when I wear the grooves off. Sometimes it slides better than an F4, sometimes it grabs and fights you like an easy street.

Deck I would absolutely love if the tail was just not so fucking steep. It has loads of pop, more than any r7 deck I've had in years. It really does feel spring loaded. Everything else is fine, but I'm definitely glad I went with a low truck. The tail still takes forever to hit the ground compared to my normal setups but its manageable.

Interested to hear how the dragons go after a couple sessions wear, they sound great. Wish they were more easily available in the UK but time will tell on that one i guess. I had an enjoi r7 that felt great with mini logo’s but not so great with ace’s. Kept pop for ages too. I rolled my ankle mis-timing the catch on a kickflip on it back in early July and haven’t skated since so seeing these kind of setups are juicing me up to skate again soon.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31806 on: August 20, 2022, 05:34:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Crails have the short tails, and I like it. GG shape is really great. I don’t mess with boards that big anymore tho. I also had the Brophy, and surprisingly enjoyed that as well, even tho it is total boat. I really like the 7.8+ shape. Haven’t any of their regular 8s.
Their products are decent
[close]

Always been really curious about Craig’s short tails. I normally chalk it up to Rick and Mike skating in the 90s when all those decks had extremely small tails and being comfortable with them. Probably not the reason but just a guess. Almost all of their popsicles have a tail below 6.5”. Any one try the G027? Popsicle with shorter nose than tail.
Go27 is a great deck, definitely worth trying out. Like said above, it has a small wheelbase, which I don’t always like. I live in a cold climate and like it for the small indoor place I skate in the winter, but for summer street skating I like a longer wheelbase. I guess when I skate in small spaces I like smaller decks

patchouli

• Rep: 9
« Reply #31807 on: August 20, 2022, 07:53:38 PM »

Metal BA Guest Model — 8.75 x 32.25 x 14.25 wb
Independent 159 Hollows — 92a cone bushing + 90a barrel on the bottom (stock)
Spitfire F4 99a Classics 58mm with Bones Swiss 6

First time trying a non-standard grip job, it could be a little cleaner and maybe I made the line too wide but overall the edges are nicely done. Does anyone know which woodshop Metal skateboards uses? I checked the directory but they weren't listed there...

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 250
« Reply #31808 on: August 20, 2022, 08:03:51 PM »

First time trying a non-standard grip job, it could be a little cleaner and maybe I made the line too wide but overall the edges are nicely done. Does anyone know which woodshop Metal skateboards uses? I checked the directory but they weren't listed there...

i fuck with this

Boog

• Rep: 194
« Reply #31809 on: August 20, 2022, 08:17:01 PM »

They use BBS

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #31810 on: August 20, 2022, 09:46:56 PM »

Nah grip job looks great. Awesome set up

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #31811 on: August 21, 2022, 11:55:24 AM »

Gnarred. Looks awesome.Grip looks good too. I prefer 8.75 with 14.25 wheelbase and I really want to try this because most 8.75s with short wheel bases are under 32” so this one being a little bit longer sounds great too me.

patchouli

• Rep: 9
« Reply #31812 on: August 21, 2022, 03:06:29 PM »
Thanks for all the positive affirmations :)

Expand Quote

[close]
They use BBS
Good looks, appreciate u

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #31813 on: August 21, 2022, 05:08:29 PM »

- Mob grip

i love the board. i saw one and didnt move on it. wish i did.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31814 on: August 21, 2022, 06:14:40 PM »
Thanks for all the positive affirmations :)

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
They use BBS
[close]
Good looks, appreciate u

I had to double check, but I had added them a week or so ago.

Make sure it is the current woodshop thread 2022

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.0

First page master lists, both alphabetically and then woodshop, etc.

Awesome looking setup too!!!

biaherl

• Rep: 263
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #31815 on: August 21, 2022, 10:10:17 PM »
Just sent my brother this for his birthday but not the r7, so green

This was my new setup for today

Fred Gall
Fred Gall
Fred Gall
Fred Gall

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #31816 on: August 21, 2022, 11:24:24 PM »
Decided to expand my project and started making boards. Stepped it up a size too so we'll see whats up.
 Im really stoked on this one.
Word Is Bond 8.38
Thunder 148
Spitfire OG Classics 55mm
Spitfire Classics
Shortys Hardware
Real Wooden Risers
Not pictured but rocking the DC Williams Slim

« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 12:36:26 AM by gsosa »

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #31817 on: August 22, 2022, 05:54:32 AM »
Bumped up in size slightly to see what would happen.

8.5 Quasi Proto
Thunder 149 w/ Bones Mediums
Spitfire F4 Classic 99d 55mm
Bones Super Reds
Mob Grip

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #31818 on: August 22, 2022, 06:03:53 AM »

Been sidelined with a knee injury, so I’ve been going through some gear changes while I’m waiting

Roger 8.25 from the first drop of the revival, 14.5 wheelbase
Ace AFI low 44 with hard bushings
F4 suicu conical full?
Bones Swiss 6

Label cardiel snuff 9.25
Ace AFI 66
Bones SPF 56 Bucky’s
Race reds

LebowskisRug

« Reply #31819 on: August 22, 2022, 12:26:59 PM »

8.5 Quasi Proto
Bones Super Reds
Mob Grip

Loved my Protos- how do you like Thunders with it? IIRC it has a pretty flat tail. Also, I asked this in the Thunder thread ut any particular reason you prefer Bones over stock bushings?

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #31820 on: August 22, 2022, 12:48:40 PM »
Expand Quote

8.5 Quasi Proto
Bones Super Reds
Mob Grip
[close]

Loved my Protos- how do you like Thunders with it? IIRC it has a pretty flat tail. Also, I asked this in the Thunder thread ut any particular reason you prefer Bones over stock bushings?

I've been skating Thunders for like ten years and it was only within the last year or two that I started having trouble turning with the stock bushings. I dunno if they changed or what, but Bones have been working well for me.

I had a brief truck crisis earlier this year and ended up back on Thunder, so as far as I'm concerned that's just the truck that's gonna go with any board I try. Trying my best to not dissent into full gear madness but it gets hard with age lol

LebowskisRug

« Reply #31821 on: August 22, 2022, 12:53:57 PM »
My madness has been well documented, but I ended up back where I started- on Thunders. The new bushings feel softer to me than normal, but the washer is already digging into and circumsizing the top one. Maybe I will try the Bones. I did love Thunders on Quasi 8.375s....

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #31822 on: August 22, 2022, 01:09:39 PM »
I believe that the glue 8.5 shape I’ve had two of is the same as the proto. I skated it on thunders and loved it. Was heavy into trying different stuff at the time, and this worked (before I found an easier way: just riding an 8, for me, all of the truck freak outs etc go away).
Hope you Like yours! I really liked the tail

nevrwasben

« Reply #31823 on: August 22, 2022, 03:16:09 PM »
My madness has been well documented, but I ended up back where I started- on Thunders. The new bushings feel softer to me than normal, but the washer is already digging into and circumsizing the top one. Maybe I will try the Bones. I did love Thunders on Quasi 8.375s....
I was a Thunder guy (10+ yrs) until trying Aces about 3 years ago now.
I’m a big dude 6’1, 220, and I feel like my trucks are medium tight.
I hated the stock Thunder bushings, as well as the Thunder bushings in the tube; but the hard (black) ones in the rebuild kit were legit and consistent.
That’s all I would ride and still wouldn’t mind if I wasn’t loving my Aces stock…

Argyle

• Rep: 38
« Reply #31824 on: August 22, 2022, 03:31:51 PM »
I went down the bones route for a while, but changed to the 95a thunder bushings from the rebuild kit and they've been brilliant.

Thunders on quasi work so well. Certain decks and thunders just work. I'm loving them on any of the 8.5 dlx decks as well (with the 14.25 wb).

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #31825 on: August 22, 2022, 04:06:31 PM »
AntiHero 8.3/4
Thunder 161 hollow
2mm soft riser.
56 SF F4 conical 99a
Shortys allen bolts
Bones Swiss
Jessup ( I traced the eagle sticker
That comes with the board to show off
the top graphic. The dimensions aren’t
the same. Definitely using tracing paper
For next attempt. )

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #31826 on: August 22, 2022, 05:11:21 PM »
AntiHero 8.3/4
Thunder 161 hollow
2mm soft riser.
56 SF F4 conical 99a
Shortys allen bolts
Bones Swiss
Jessup ( I traced the eagle sticker
That comes with the board to show off
the top graphic. The dimensions aren’t
the same. Definitely using tracing paper
For next attempt. )

That grip looks so fucking good

Frank and Fred

« Reply #31827 on: August 23, 2022, 09:09:15 AM »
How do you like those 161s @Dong Hanglo  ?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #31828 on: August 23, 2022, 09:14:09 AM »

That Label Snuffer looks really great and makes me want to get a  back up, even though I haven't set mine up yet. The SPFs are concerning me a little though.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #31829 on: August 23, 2022, 09:59:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That Label Snuffer looks really great and makes me want to get a  back up, even though I haven't set mine up yet. The SPFs are concerning me a little though.
Listen, I get it. Hahah. Got them on sale and had them in mind for a few newer parks around here. Still debating on the final wheels. What do you suggest?
Boards fun though for the one time I got to skate the curbs with it