Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4805175 times)

Kunnallisjäte and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Thebird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 158
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #32280 on: November 06, 2022, 08:51:09 PM »
Alien Workshop Sammy Montano 9 x 32”  football shape (According to them it’s based on a Dyrdek shape from 91/92. Wheelbase is adjustable and I’ve got it on the shorter 13.625”)
Powell Rib Bones
Frankenstein Thunder 149s with cast baseplate and TI hangers
Worn in 99d F4 classics (started life as 52s)
Bronson g3
Jessup ultra

When you get a chance, can you let us know how this skates?  It looks like a lot of fun.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32281 on: November 07, 2022, 03:04:06 AM »

I usually don't post my setups here, mainly cause they are either the same DLX or blanked boards, but I went for something a little different this time, Cash Only being one of the clearance brands in OCD, an Aussie skate shop, so a bargain of sorts as well as good wood.

Cash Only 8.5 deck (same as my usual other BBS / Generator shape about 32.3 long with 14.5 wb)
Indy 149s
Spitfire 54mm Classics
Bones Swiss bearings
Jessup grip
Shortys phillips 7/8" bolts

Scraped back round the edge to see a bit more of the purple bottom stain, but apart from that, I haven't touched the graphic at all for once and will just let this one wear normally.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #32282 on: November 07, 2022, 03:28:27 AM »

studio bryan wherry 8.25 x 32 x 14.25
venture 5.8 with element bushings
pig pro-line 58mm 101a
skf skate bearings
pig prime bolts
jessup grip
lrab vm001 hi

first control board i’ve ever had, hope it doesn’t suck because i have 2 more waiting lol
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 212
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #32283 on: November 07, 2022, 03:31:37 AM »

pig pro-line 58mm 101a
skf skate bearings
pig prime bolts
jessup grip
lrab vm001 hi

Wow a lot going on here. First off, i love the color cordination with the green hue’s. Also i never heard of studio skateboards, or element bushings. I wonder what made you go with element bushings in ventures? They now have make a venture loose conversion bushing

first control board i’ve ever had, hope it doesn’t suck because i have 2 more waiting lol

roba

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #32284 on: November 07, 2022, 04:05:17 AM »
Expand Quote

pig pro-line 58mm 101a
skf skate bearings
pig prime bolts
jessup grip
lrab vm001 hi

[close]

Wow a lot going on here. First off, i love the color cordination with the green hue’s. Also i never heard of studio skateboards, or element bushings. I wonder what made you go with element bushings in ventures? They now have make a venture loose conversion bushing

studio is a montreal brand, so mostly known around canada i guess. as for the bushings, well first of all i can’t even get the standard aftermarket venture bushings in my country, i’d have to order from germany or somewhere and the shipping would cost more than the bushings themselves. i compared some other bushings that were available with the venture bushings to see if they would fit because the stock bushings blew out on me and everything was too tall for my preference because i like loose trucks. i had a set of old element trucks lying around the shop that somebody left when they got some new trucks and i took the bushings off to see if they would fit just out of curiosity and they fit perfect, they were either exactly the same height or a hair lower, i don’t remember for sure but they fit. i put them on there and it turned out that they’re extremely soft, low to mid 80s probably, which i liked so i kept them on and they skate great for me. i think i’ve been skating these for my last 4 or 5 boards and they’re holding up still.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 452
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32285 on: November 07, 2022, 04:24:59 AM »

pig pro-line 58mm 101a
skf skate bearings
pig prime bolts
jessup grip
lrab vm001 hi

How’s the wheel bite situation with 58mm and no riser? I’m looking at some 57mm right now.

roba

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #32286 on: November 07, 2022, 04:41:45 AM »
Expand Quote

pig pro-line 58mm 101a
skf skate bearings
pig prime bolts
jessup grip
lrab vm001 hi

[close]

How’s the wheel bite situation with 58mm and no riser? I’m looking at some 57mm right now.

i've been on very loose trucks for the last 7 or 8 years so wheelbite is something i had to learn to live with. i always get gnarly wheelbite marks, but with new big wheels i manage to wear through the first ply under the wheels so the second ply starts poking out in there. generally speaking, if you don't really get wheelbite and hate it you won't like that combo at all, but if you do get wheelbite anyway and can work with it then try it, skating big wheels is fun, however the main reason i run that combo is that when this wheel shape (pretty much a spitfire classic) wears down the contact patch gets wider and they become this nice wide round shape when they hit 54-55mm. i loved that on 58mm 99 f4 classics but i can't find them shits anymore. i'll have to try radials soon because they look like what i'm going for without the need to wear them down first. i did run 58mm og classics on ace 44 classics and that was very hard to work with at first, but with the skinnier wheels it's doable.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 354
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32287 on: November 07, 2022, 06:27:18 AM »
Coming to this one after a villani 9.125 egg. Love the shape on this one and the slightly skinnier size was noticeable and welcome, but what I didn't realize in the shop was just how steep the concave is on this sucker. By far the steepest BBS deck I've ever had, and that unfortunately is gonna make this a one-and-done for me.

Metal Fred Gall egg, 9x32.25, 14.25wb
Ace AF1 Low 60, stock bushings flat top washer
Spitfire F4 lil smokies 48mm classic
off-brand ceramics from amazon, still rolling great after a couple years
Shorty's Lights 7/8 allen
Pepper grip

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #32288 on: November 07, 2022, 08:28:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Alien Workshop Sammy Montano 9 x 32”  football shape (According to them it’s based on a Dyrdek shape from 91/92. Wheelbase is adjustable and I’ve got it on the shorter 13.625”)
Powell Rib Bones
Frankenstein Thunder 149s with cast baseplate and TI hangers
Worn in 99d F4 classics (started life as 52s)
Bronson g3
Jessup ultra

[close]

When you get a chance, can you let us know how this skates?  It looks like a lot of fun.

It’s been great fun so far. I usually skate 8.125-8.25 popsicles so it’s a big change for me. Finding that I can still throw flip tricks decently well on it thanks to the short wb most likely but mostly I’m just having more fun skating than I have in a minute due to the novelty of riding something so different from my usual setup. I recommend it for sure.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #32289 on: November 07, 2022, 08:28:42 AM »
Lovely and legit egg @kneebone Shame about the concave...

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #32290 on: November 07, 2022, 10:45:08 AM »
@kneebone that egg with small wheels looks so dope, reeks of 90s nostalgia.
@Mbrimson88 are you going to elaborate on those red conical bushings on your indies? I thought it was generally accepted that they suck?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #32291 on: November 07, 2022, 11:14:14 AM »
another Freddy for the page

Metal 8.25
Venture 5.8, hollow axle, cast plate, 90a supercush, stock washer
56mm classics f4
swiss jessup allen

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #32292 on: November 07, 2022, 04:01:15 PM »
@Mbrimson88 are you going to elaborate on those red conical bushings on your indies? I thought it was generally accepted that they suck?

@kneebone Might be a bit much, but I like to park on the kicks to flatten them out some.  Works well with all my BBS boards.  If that was the issue, just the angle of the kicks, not the side to side concave, then it is a pretty good fix and one you could try given you would not be skating this again otherwise.  I have a Corolla (small car) so not very heavy, but I usually put the board graphic up, some cardboard under it on smooth garage floor and park right on the bolts area for about an hour and check again.  It takes a day for it to come back to where it will stay, but I mellow out most boards that are too steep easily enough.  Just don't stand on it straight away as you will think it is way too mellow.

@Easy Slider Re red Indy bushings, yes the new ones are a bit less fun, but these ones are the old white box Indy bushings, not the new clear plastic case bushings, so the old ones had red soft, orange medium and black hard as the three options.  The red were "soft" at 92 duro, which are actually quite firm, way too hard in the normal height for me but work really well in the low head version.  They are amazing, even better than the new blue ones, which still go ok when I did try them.  When I had access I bought most of the remaining stock in Australia back when they were still around and on clearance, all up about three or so cases, 12 sets in each, but once in, I never need to take them out, adjust them or do anything to them at all after one or two sessions wearing them in.

These one still turn pretty much like the current softer stock orange bushings with the nut just on the kingpin, only they have a stiffer resistance to going straight to wheelbite which is nice and always bounce back to the middle and never mush out for as long as I have had them, some going on ten plus years in older trucks on boards I use for others to try at the indoor park.

These ones:

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/products/independent-low-bushings-soft-92a-red

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #32293 on: November 07, 2022, 04:26:36 PM »

Creature Brue Killer 12oz 7.80" x 30.45" with 14.25" wheelbase
Independent 109 standards
OJ Elite Hardline 55mm 99a
Jessup Ultra
Mini Logo bearings
Powell Peralta Rib Bones
1" hardware

Waiting for the rain to end so I can take it to the curbs and transition. 129s would be a way better fit for this board but I wanted an excuse to use 109s for something other than cruising. Not using this as a cruiser board either, it's going to be used as a standard skateboard.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 354
« Reply #32294 on: November 07, 2022, 05:45:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

@kneebone Might be a bit much, but I like to park on the kicks to flatten them out some.  Works well with all my BBS boards.  If that was the issue, just the angle of the kicks, not the side to side concave, then it is a pretty good fix and one you could try given you would not be skating this again otherwise.  I have a Corolla (small car) so not very heavy, but I usually put the board graphic up, some cardboard under it on smooth garage floor and park right on the bolts area for about an hour and check again.  It takes a day for it to come back to where it will stay, but I mellow out most boards that are too steep easily enough.  Just don't stand on it straight away as you will think it is way too mellow.

@Easy Slider Re red Indy bushings, yes the new ones are a bit less fun, but these ones are the old white box Indy bushings, not the new clear plastic case bushings, so the old ones had red soft, orange medium and black hard as the three options.  The red were "soft" at 92 duro, which are actually quite firm, way too hard in the normal height for me but work really well in the low head version.  They are amazing, even better than the new blue ones, which still go ok when I did try them.  When I had access I bought most of the remaining stock in Australia back when they were still around and on clearance, all up about three or so cases, 12 sets in each, but once in, I never need to take them out, adjust them or do anything to them at all after one or two sessions wearing them in.

These one still turn pretty much like the current softer stock orange bushings with the nut just on the kingpin, only they have a stiffer resistance to going straight to wheelbite which is nice and always bounce back to the middle and never mush out for as long as I have had them, some going on ten plus years in older trucks on boards I use for others to try at the indoor park.

These ones:

Unfortunately the concave is steep all around, but it’s definitely the side-to-side rocker concave that’s the most noticeably different than what I’m used to

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #32295 on: November 07, 2022, 10:47:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

These ones:

Thanks for clarifying.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #32296 on: November 08, 2022, 02:25:13 AM »

Jessup Ultra
Mini Logo bearings
Powell Peralta Rib Bones
1" hardware

Waiting for the rain to end so I can take it to the curbs and transition. 129s would be a way better fit for this board but I wanted an excuse to use 109s for something other than cruising. Not using this as a cruiser board either, it's going to be used as a standard skateboard.

Gnar for that  8)

i been fucking around on flatground with my zinger for a bit and hitting curbs here and there too, so i would be really curious to see some clips on that lil beast!
Super sick setup

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #32297 on: November 08, 2022, 02:25:30 AM »

DOA 7.5 with a sheet of mini logo grip. Socal skateshop slacks at shipping out orders so had to use mini logo instead of jessup or black magic. I get my stuff faster from Orchard skateshop on the other side of the country. Shout out to Cowtown as well. Two of the best shops in the country, maybe the world.

Independent lows stock
Spitfire classics 51mm
Bones swiss 6 (3 or 2 years old) cleaned twice or thrice a year.
Bronze hardware

Jordan 3s still holding up and getting better every session.

Fresh!

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #32298 on: November 08, 2022, 02:32:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

These ones:

This. The older version in the paper box are money in the bank. Just an excellent bushing.

The new ones in the plastic box, pass.

Mbrimson88 with that Indy knowledge. Didn’t put two and two together until I read the post. Guess I’ll be turning some stones over for some…

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #32299 on: November 08, 2022, 10:32:31 AM »

Jessup Ultra
Mini Logo bearings
Powell Peralta Rib Bones
1" hardware

Were you at Fremont last night? I saw someone with a board very similar to that skating the mini bowl and thought it was an interesting setup

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #32300 on: November 08, 2022, 03:06:43 PM »

This. The older version in the paper box are money in the bank. Just an excellent bushing.

Mbrimson88 with that Indy knowledge. Didn’t put two and two together until I read the post. Guess I’ll be turning some stones over for some…

I have plenty so happy to share, especially if anyone here wants them.

Being in Australia though, shipping is either super expensive by air or takes a long time by surface to send anything round the world.

Last I saw there were still some around, but not many.  Some weird or out of the way type shops had them listed (might still be in stock or just old listings) but most other places were long sold out.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #32301 on: November 08, 2022, 05:59:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have plenty so happy to share, especially if anyone here wants them.

Being in Australia though, shipping is either super expensive by air or takes a long time by surface to send anything round the world.

Last I saw there were still some around, but not many.  Some weird or out of the way type shops had them listed (might still be in stock or just old listings) but most other places were long sold out.

Skateamerica has been winding down their skate business for years but you can find a bunch of gems there is you look hard enough:

https://www.skateamerica.com/collections/under-10/products/independent-genuine-parts-low-cushions-red-soft-92a-skateboard-bushings?variant=866655967

38 of the older red ones in stock
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #32302 on: November 09, 2022, 10:31:20 AM »
Not keen on the graphic but these dims are kinda hard to find in the UK

Lovenskate 8.5 x 32 x 14wb
Ace af1 44
Spitfire F4 99d 52mm classic
Mini logo/jessup

Skated it for a few hours, love it.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1168
« Reply #32303 on: November 09, 2022, 10:52:23 AM »

Polar Hjalte 8.5
Indy 149ti (w/cast hollow baseplates, Indy aftermarket conical bushings, riptide pivots)
SF F4 55mm Classic 99a
Swiss
hardly art, hardly starving

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #32304 on: November 09, 2022, 11:10:44 AM »

Polar Hjalte 8.5
Indy 149ti (w/cast hollow baseplates, Indy aftermarket conical bushings, riptide pivots)
SF F4 55mm Classic 99a
Swiss
Beautiful setup.  You read my mind, I've got an 8.5 Polar with wheel wells and some 55mm classics that I planned to setup next.

Get hungry on it!

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #32305 on: November 10, 2022, 05:26:19 AM »

New deck and wheels for the daily...I've been traveling with and skating backup setups so it wasn't completely needed but it was time... 3rd Polar 8.5 in a row but first without wheel wells so sized down from 56mm to 53mm.

Polar Gonzalez 8.5x32.125x14.375
Indy Hollow Forged 159
SF F4 Lock-ins 53mm/99du
Bones Swiss
MOB Grip
Minilogo HW
Vans Half-cabs '92
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #32306 on: November 10, 2022, 11:50:01 AM »

New deck and wheels for the daily...I've been traveling with and skating backup setups so it wasn't completely needed but it was time... 3rd Polar 8.5 in a row but first without wheel wells so sized down from 56mm to 53mm.

Polar Gonzalez 8.5x32.125x14.375
Indy Hollow Forged 159
SF F4 Lock-ins 53mm/99du
Bones Swiss
MOB Grip
Minilogo HW
Vans Half-cabs '92

Nice setup. How long did you skate the old one? Looks pretty much new

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #32307 on: November 10, 2022, 01:33:08 PM »
Well that was inevitable, ha. Just over 3 months...it's been almost all backyard miniramp and transition at parks for this one, plus I have specific travel setups.
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #32308 on: November 10, 2022, 04:34:52 PM »
Bought myself a present

Frog Chris Milic 10” x 31.625” with 14.25-14.75” wb
Film 6.5 trucks
Spitfire f4 conical fulls 54mm 99a
Bones Big balls
Bronze 1” Allen
Mob
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • old and in the way
« Reply #32309 on: November 10, 2022, 08:14:08 PM »

Jessup Ultra
Mini Logo bearings
Powell Peralta Rib Bones
1" hardware

that setup looks so fun @yourbreakfsat