Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4809645 times)

Paco Supreme and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

minilogoflow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 84
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #32340 on: November 15, 2022, 12:39:02 PM »

Shortys 7.75
Black magic
Venture low 5.0
Bronze Allen key
Spitfire F4 48mm
Bones big balls

Really sick set up but how can you have a Shorty's board and not have silverado hardware?

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 545
« Reply #32341 on: November 15, 2022, 12:41:28 PM »
Expand Quote

Shortys 7.75
Black magic
Venture low 5.0
Bronze Allen key
Spitfire F4 48mm
Bones big balls
[close]

Really sick set up but how can you have a Shorty's board and not have silverado hardware?

Or Ghetto Child Wheels and/or Black Panther Bearings

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32342 on: November 15, 2022, 12:45:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Sick. What shape is this? That taper on the tail is looking good.
[close]

Standard Polar popsicle shape. Always available across graphics. Roundy square nose and tapered tail. Perfection. (I'm on my 3rd.)
[close]

yep.  standard Polar 8.5 is the greatest shape/size/dimen.
[close]

While that polar setup (and the sci-fi) are certainly quite attractive, 8 is the greatest size. Respectfully.

respected.
hardly art, hardly starving

nosneb

• Rep: 90
« Reply #32343 on: November 15, 2022, 04:28:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Shortys 7.75
Black magic
Venture low 5.0
Bronze Allen key
Spitfire F4 48mm
Bones big balls
[close]

[close]

Or Ghetto Child Wheels and/or Black Panther Bearings

Yea my setup sucks smh 😔

But I do have a bunch of NOS shorty lite hardware I just can’t bring myself to open lol

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #32344 on: November 15, 2022, 05:23:35 PM »

I recently started pressing and finishing boards at home. I'm coming back from a surgery and haven't really skated one besides rolling around the block, but I've had some good reviews from friends. Just set this up for my return to skating, which is gradually going to start about now.

"The Department of Sidewalks" 8.88" wide, about 8.5" over trucks, 33", 14.25wb
Thunder 148
F4 53mm conical full
reds
jessup

this shape and finish look awesome. you going to sell anywhere?

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #32345 on: November 15, 2022, 07:27:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Standard Polar popsicle shape. Always available across graphics. Roundy square nose and tapered tail. Perfection. (I'm on my 3rd.)
[close]

[close]

it's very close, but the tail is a little small to me, especially compared to the nose. Polar P2 though..... That's a great shape.

Doesn't the P2 taper a lot as well or am I mistaken? I remember it being 8.5 across the front bolts and 8.25 across the back bolts

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #32346 on: November 15, 2022, 07:54:44 PM »
Expand Quote

I recently started pressing and finishing boards at home. I'm coming back from a surgery and haven't really skated one besides rolling around the block, but I've had some good reviews from friends. Just set this up for my return to skating, which is gradually going to start about now.

Thunder 148
F4 53mm conical full
reds
jessup
[close]

this shape and finish look awesome. you going to sell anywhere?

Just restating that thing is gorgeous
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 06:26:01 AM by TwisT »

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #32347 on: November 16, 2022, 02:02:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Will be checking in on one. Been a big fan of the Dane 1, and ride popsicles of other brands, mostly DOA.

This one just stuck out with an awesome natural shape and thought it was special. Likely one more reason Polar rakes.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 768
« Reply #32348 on: November 16, 2022, 03:24:36 AM »

Thunder 148
F4 53mm conical full
reds
jessup

it's a beauty, but 33 length with a 14.25 wheelbase? is the nose like 8 inches long? i once had a board that had like 7.3 nose and i couldn't get it to flip level, every kickflip was rocket, i had to cut a few millimeters off that.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #32349 on: November 16, 2022, 09:52:40 AM »
Expand Quote

Thunder 148
F4 53mm conical full
reds
jessup
[close]

it's a beauty, but 33 length with a 14.25 wheelbase? is the nose like 8 inches long? i once had a board that had like 7.3 nose and i couldn't get it to flip level, every kickflip was rocket, i had to cut a few millimeters off that.

Good question. Just remeasured.
The length is more like 32.75"
WB is 14.5" from centers of bolt holes.
Nose: 7.75"
Tail: 6.5"

I probably should have moved the trucks up about .5". This board is borderline "blemished" so I reserved it for myself. The other boards I've made have pretty similar nose and tail length. Yeah it's a spicy nose, but I don't think it's gonna feel weird. I post my boards here in case anyone is interested: https://www.instagram.com/the_department_of_sidewalks/

Bo Turners Masonic Fish

« Reply #32350 on: November 16, 2022, 11:17:25 AM »
I love it, perfect stain color combo. As slappy skater who does a lot of front nose and front crooks, I think the nose looks hot.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32351 on: November 16, 2022, 12:47:11 PM »
The Brue Killer I posted before made me a fan of steep kicks so I looked into getting one for my main board. Was hoping for a normal popsicle but local was kind of short in that area but they had a ton of reissues.

Santa Cruz Tom Knox Punk Reissue 9.89" x 31.75" with 14.25" wheelbase
Independent x Toy Machine 159 Standards with Winkowski Hollow baseplates and Indy 92a aftermarket bushings
Bones Super Reds Ceramics
Powell Peralta Dragon Formula 56mm 93a - about 53mm now
Independent 1" hardware
MOB

The deck has the Cruz Missile Concave which feels insane. Not sure if I like it for sure yet, but wow steep kicks just work so well for me. I think I'm over mellow/flat decks for good.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 545
« Reply #32352 on: November 16, 2022, 01:05:37 PM »
Not sure if I like it for sure yet, but wow steep kicks just work so well for me. I think I'm over mellow/flat decks for good.

If that's the case, you're gonna love FA/Hockey decks. Super steep popsicles.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32353 on: November 16, 2022, 01:39:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Not sure if I like it for sure yet, but wow steep kicks just work so well for me. I think I'm over mellow/flat decks for good.
[close]

I've had a lot of them before, and honestly the tails always felt like a medium or mellow to me. Only the nose was definitely steep. That may just be me though.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1123
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #32354 on: November 16, 2022, 03:16:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I've had a lot of them before, and honestly the tails always felt like a medium or mellow to me. Only the nose was definitely steep. That may just be me though.

No you're right, the tails are actually mellower than the noses. Though I did pick up an 8.75" and the tail actually feels bigger/steeper than the smaller sizes (I usually ride 8.5")

LebowskisRug

« Reply #32355 on: November 16, 2022, 03:47:46 PM »
Speaking of steep concave does anyone remember the Element Featherlights from the late 90's? They were like 7.5 and had super ridiculous concave. I remember breaking in a fresh pair of Osiris' and the middle of my shoe wouldn't touch the center of the deck. But I was super convinced it would help me ollie higher as the trough would grip more of my shoe.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #32356 on: November 16, 2022, 03:51:17 PM »
Element feather lights came in wider sizes also. Good boards.

Bo Turners Masonic Fish

« Reply #32357 on: November 16, 2022, 04:17:55 PM »
Not sure if it was a featherlight, but around 1997 I had an element 8.38 (huge for the time). It had super hell concave and was there for the best skating of my youth. When it died I promptly went back to flat 7.625s and sucked ever since.

Also, that SC concave is bonkers.

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #32358 on: November 17, 2022, 03:22:11 AM »
The Brue Killer I posted before made me a fan of steep kicks so I looked into getting one for my main board. Was hoping for a normal popsicle but local was kind of short in that area but they had a ton of reissues.

Santa Cruz Tom Knox Punk Reissue 9.89" x 31.75" with 14.25" wheelbase
Independent x Toy Machine 159 Standards with Winkowski Hollow baseplates and Indy 92a aftermarket bushings
Bones Super Reds Ceramics
Powell Peralta Dragon Formula 56mm 93a - about 53mm now
Independent 1" hardware
MOB

The deck has the Cruz Missile Concave which feels insane. Not sure if I like it for sure yet, but wow steep kicks just work so well for me. I think I'm over mellow/flat decks for good.

While not a fan of Santa Cruz, anything Knox is gold, bet this’ll look good thrashed!

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 105
« Reply #32359 on: November 17, 2022, 12:52:39 PM »
Stoked on the return of my favorite stock shape

Indy hollow 169
F4 conical 54
Bronson some pro edition yada yada

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #32360 on: November 17, 2022, 01:27:09 PM »
Looks dope. I'm assuming that is the 9.1", 33", 15"wb Orange CRUSHER

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 105
« Reply #32361 on: November 18, 2022, 07:12:43 AM »
Looks dope. I'm assuming that is the 9.1", 33", 15"wb Orange CRUSHER

That's the one! Super fun shape for old tranny guy.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 824
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #32362 on: November 18, 2022, 09:45:27 AM »

I think I’ve been watching Photo to much recently and it’s catching up to me.
Love the shape on this Habitat… I do wish it was a Gall model tho.
Kailynx for the culture.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 10:21:00 AM by MOE SYZLAK »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #32363 on: November 18, 2022, 10:25:32 AM »
Are you on risers or is that some sort of shadow?

minilogoflow

« Reply #32364 on: November 18, 2022, 10:39:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

No you're right, the tails are actually mellower than the noses. Though I did pick up an 8.75" and the tail actually feels bigger/steeper than the smaller sizes (I usually ride 8.5")

I've been eyeing one of those hockey 8.75 decks but I don't like how short the 8.5 and fa/hockey shapes feel. What's the length and wb on the bigger size like? Seen a couple different dimension listings.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 824
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #32365 on: November 18, 2022, 10:40:33 AM »
Are you on risers or is that some sort of shadow?
Riser gang for life

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #32366 on: November 18, 2022, 11:11:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I've been eyeing one of those hockey 8.75 decks but I don't like how short the 8.5 and fa/hockey shapes feel. What's the length and wb on the bigger size like? Seen a couple different dimension listings.

@minilogoflow definitely rides like the smaller boards imo so you may not like it. I just measured mine at 32.5" long and 14.25" wb but that's with trucks on so the 32.6" x 14.5" wb listed on the website is probably right. The tail is definitely fuller than the smaller sizes which makes a huge difference to me

minilogoflow

« Reply #32367 on: November 18, 2022, 12:07:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

@minilogoflow definitely rides like the smaller boards imo so you may not like it. I just measured mine at 32.5" long and 14.25" wb but that's with trucks on so the 32.6" x 14.5" wb listed on the website is probably right. The tail is definitely fuller than the smaller sizes which makes a huge difference to me

Thanks for the measurements. The fuller tail sounds great and the length and wb are in my sweet spot. What do you mean by it skating like the smaller ones?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #32368 on: November 18, 2022, 12:16:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the measurements. The fuller tail sounds great and the length and wb are in my sweet spot. What do you mean by it skating like the smaller ones?

Yeah that wasn't very clear. I meant to say, it doesn't feel that much different from the 8.5" hockeys that I've skated (which I like a lot) aside from the tail. Measurements say it's longer but it still feels like a tight, compact board. Here's a pic of the top to give you an idea of the shape. I would say it's worth a try

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #32369 on: November 18, 2022, 12:43:57 PM »
Had a gx board for a bit, but it felt way too light. Time to set up a board that's way too heavy.

Quasi 8.75"
Ace 55 classsics
60mm kader fulls (now 58-ish)
quantum isotopes
jessup
hardies ben K 1" philips