Author Topic: Does Friction Depend on Contact Patch Width? An Experiment - Part 1  (Read 5302 times)

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
Re: Does Friction Depend on Contact Patch Width? An Experiment - Part 1
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2019, 02:42:56 PM »

This experiment is part 1 of my skateboard wheel friction experiments. It is not supposed to be definite proof for all situations. From what I've understood is that people think that contact patch width is directly proportional to "grip" on skateboard wheels. What my tests prove is that this is not the case on an unloaded skateboard on birch plywood (using 99A 54 mm Classics and 99A 58 mm Conical Fulls). How far you can apply the results of this experiment is not something that can be factually determined. That is why I plan on doing more experiments. But according to this test it seems very likely that skateboard wheels also abide by the laws of physics. Further experiments might prove otherwise. Though I doubt that very much myself.

Why I attribute the small but statistically significant differences to experimental error and differences between batches is that i know of no scientific theory that supports the claim that increasing contact patch width on a smooth surface with relatively nonexistent deformation reduces static friction. So I am considering possible errors in the performance of the experiment and differences in the materials measured as would be logical.

Most claims here about wider contact patch increasing grip are very vague. I think that's just the nature of the discussion. No one starts out with a statement saying: "double contact patch width doubles grip" but instead just say "wider wheels are grippier" or something like that. I searched my post history for "grip" and "friction" and below are linked some posts that I have been replying to which are the main reason I started my experiments and this thread. I'm not trying to call anyone out here. I too have at some point in my life thought that doubling the contact area would double friction. It is a very common misconception and the actual facts are sorta counterintuitive.

Thanks for the links, funny to see a post by myself from a while back in there haha. Yeah, the claims are very vague as to be expected, which is why I’m hesitant to say that people think the double the contact patch => double the grip. I guess we are just interpreting these claims differently.

The reason why I’m suggest that there is a possibility that contact patch could be the cause of the differences, as opposed it be solely due to experimental error, is because in all except one, the classics have a higher coefficient than the conicals. Besides the small chance that there was a difference in formula between these two wheels, I can't think of any experimental variance that would constantly skew the results one way and not randomly. But sure, in such an error prone experiment, maybe there is something else we haven’t considered that may have lead to these results. I am just speculating.

I’m curious as to what your personal experience with wide/skinny wheels are. For me, a bluntslide variation on a ledge with classic slims goes so much better than when I try the same thing with conical fulls. Bombing a gnarlier hill on classic slims feels quite scary and uncontrollable whereas on conical fulls I definitely feel much more in control of things. Now this could all be in my head, but I definitely did notice these differences before I started paying attention to gear (I accidentally skated conical fulls and classic slims back to back lol).

Much of the difference when bombing hills I guess could be attributed to things other than friction. Though I can’t think of any other factors off the top of my head that would affect my experience with bluntslides. Would you say I’m imagining all of it? If not, what would you attribute this to if not friction?

« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 02:48:15 PM by tzhangdox »

FROTHY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2019, 03:34:49 PM »
I was wondering how to go about doing this kind of experiment, and my first vague idea was to use a scale like this:

and put some weights on a skateboard and see if the required force to pull it sideways changed with different contact patch size.

But I ended up doing nothing, and your method was definitely more controllable. So I commend you Roisto.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2019, 05:07:33 PM »
I would hypothesize that if you took a spring scale and hooked it up to a skateboard wheel, dragging it horizontally at a constant velocity without rolling, you would not see a difference in friction correlating to the width. There are countless videos of experiments showing this property and it is described in nearly every physics textbook ever published. You’ve attempted to recreate this here and are finding similar results as one would expect. 

The problem is it’s not the only force on a wheel when skating. Even the skaters mass applying pressure is not constant as you lighten your feet for a split second almost like a jump to press horizontally into a slide and quickly redistribute the load unevenly over the wheels. There are many other forces at play when the wheel is rolling and the effort to break into a slide changes depending on the angle it is applied. I’m not arguing a counterpoint, just simply pointing out that it is far more complicated than a simple textbook example can describe. Consider it on a microscopic level where friction occurs. With an uneven surface of the wheel and the ground, a wider wheel has a higher probability of making contact. In practice, the forces on a wheel when it skips and slides change rapidly on that microscopic level. They are far too unpredictable to simplify into an experiment such as this.

I truly commend you for taking the time to prove a point, but I’m afraid you are doing so in vain. The beauty of skateboarding lies in the fact that there is an extreme amount of science and physics at play that can be transcended into a “feeling”. Many men have dedicated their entire lives to observing and formulating much simpler equations. I respect your experiment, but it does not prove that thinner wheels  provide as much grip as wider wheels when sliding while skateboarding. Once you are sliding and hold everything perfectly constant, sure, but that’s not what I’m arguing against. It’s actually the exact opposite as I am suggesting there is no way to control the experiment to that degree in practice and still call it skateboarding. You can’t isolate one property of friction and apply it throughout a series of actions that are subject to many other physical properties.

dakara

• Rep: 4
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2019, 07:39:01 PM »
I would hypothesize that if you took a spring scale and hooked it up to a skateboard wheel, dragging it horizontally at a constant velocity without rolling, you would not see a difference in friction correlating to the width. There are countless videos of experiments showing this property and it is described in nearly every physics textbook ever published. You’ve attempted to recreate this here and are finding similar results as one would expect. 

The problem is it’s not the only force on a wheel when skating. Even the skaters mass applying pressure is not constant as you lighten your feet for a split second almost like a jump to press horizontally into a slide and quickly redistribute the load unevenly over the wheels. There are many other forces at play when the wheel is rolling and the effort to break into a slide changes depending on the angle it is applied. I’m not arguing a counterpoint, just simply pointing out that it is far more complicated than a simple textbook example can describe. Consider it on a microscopic level where friction occurs. With an uneven surface of the wheel and the ground, a wider wheel has a higher probability of making contact. In practice, the forces on a wheel when it skips and slides change rapidly on that microscopic level. They are far too unpredictable to simplify into an experiment such as this.

I truly commend you for taking the time to prove a point, but I’m afraid you are doing so in vain. The beauty of skateboarding lies in the fact that there is an extreme amount of science and physics at play that can be transcended into a “feeling”. Many men have dedicated their entire lives to observing and formulating much simpler equations. I respect your experiment, but it does not prove that thinner wheels  provide as much grip as wider wheels when sliding while skateboarding. Once you are sliding and hold everything perfectly constant, sure, but that’s not what I’m arguing against. It’s actually the exact opposite as I am suggesting there is no way to control the experiment to that degree in practice and still call it skateboarding. You can’t isolate one property of friction and apply it throughout a series of actions that are subject to many other physical properties.

Well put. This excitement was very cool and I’m glad you did it but there are too many variables at play during even the most controlled skating

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2019, 09:06:51 PM »
Maybe those wheels are too relatively similar to make a difference. My experience with early '90s bearing covers was that they offered little grip. Maybe you can do another experiment with early '80s Powell Cubic IIIs vs. Toxic 39ers.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2019, 01:47:32 AM »
Expand Quote

This experiment is part 1 of my skateboard wheel friction experiments. It is not supposed to be definite proof for all situations. From what I've understood is that people think that contact patch width is directly proportional to "grip" on skateboard wheels. What my tests prove is that this is not the case on an unloaded skateboard on birch plywood (using 99A 54 mm Classics and 99A 58 mm Conical Fulls). How far you can apply the results of this experiment is not something that can be factually determined. That is why I plan on doing more experiments. But according to this test it seems very likely that skateboard wheels also abide by the laws of physics. Further experiments might prove otherwise. Though I doubt that very much myself.

Why I attribute the small but statistically significant differences to experimental error and differences between batches is that i know of no scientific theory that supports the claim that increasing contact patch width on a smooth surface with relatively nonexistent deformation reduces static friction. So I am considering possible errors in the performance of the experiment and differences in the materials measured as would be logical.

Most claims here about wider contact patch increasing grip are very vague. I think that's just the nature of the discussion. No one starts out with a statement saying: "double contact patch width doubles grip" but instead just say "wider wheels are grippier" or something like that. I searched my post history for "grip" and "friction" and below are linked some posts that I have been replying to which are the main reason I started my experiments and this thread. I'm not trying to call anyone out here. I too have at some point in my life thought that doubling the contact area would double friction. It is a very common misconception and the actual facts are sorta counterintuitive.

[close]

Thanks for the links, funny to see a post by myself from a while back in there haha. Yeah, the claims are very vague as to be expected, which is why I’m hesitant to say that people think the double the contact patch => double the grip. I guess we are just interpreting these claims differently.

The reason why I’m suggest that there is a possibility that contact patch could be the cause of the differences, as opposed it be solely due to experimental error, is because in all except one, the classics have a higher coefficient than the conicals. Besides the small chance that there was a difference in formula between these two wheels, I can't think of any experimental variance that would constantly skew the results one way and not randomly. But sure, in such an error prone experiment, maybe there is something else we haven’t considered that may have lead to these results. I am just speculating.

I’m curious as to what your personal experience with wide/skinny wheels are. For me, a bluntslide variation on a ledge with classic slims goes so much better than when I try the same thing with conical fulls. Bombing a gnarlier hill on classic slims feels quite scary and uncontrollable whereas on conical fulls I definitely feel much more in control of things. Now this could all be in my head, but I definitely did notice these differences before I started paying attention to gear (I accidentally skated conical fulls and classic slims back to back lol).

Much of the difference when bombing hills I guess could be attributed to things other than friction. Though I can’t think of any other factors off the top of my head that would affect my experience with bluntslides. Would you say I’m imagining all of it? If not, what would you attribute this to if not friction?

I can't do blunts so can't say anything about those but powerslides, reverts and just general grip carving around I have noticed absolutely no difference between wheels of different width. I just recently changed from worn out 54 mm Conical Fulls to 54 mm Radial Slims and the grip is the same as far as I can tell. 99A and 101A it feels like the static friction is largely the same but the kinetic friction is noticeably less on 101A. Changed from 99A Conicals to 101A Conical Fulls this summer and getting them to slide was just as easy IMO but I was slipping out like mad on the 101As while with the 99As I could keep it much better in control. Wether this is true or not, I do not know but it was my experience this summer when I paid really close attention to it.

I was wondering how to go about doing this kind of experiment, and my first vague idea was to use a scale like this:

and put some weights on a skateboard and see if the required force to pull it sideways changed with different contact patch size.

But I ended up doing nothing, and your method was definitely more controllable. So I commend you Roisto.

Pic doesn't show up but I'm guessing you're talking about a hang scale? I've thought about that too. The problem with that is that getting an accurate reading might be really tricky. Also using a steady pulling force & speed would be essential, so getting an electrical hoist to pull it would be best, especially if you plan on putting some weight on the board. I feel that otherwise the experimental error would be quite large.

While that is a classic experiment, so is this. The one with the spring scale is much better for finding out the kinetic friction though, which I haven't even attempted here. So it's not really the same.

That is exactly why friction is something you have to measure and can't be calculated based on material properties. It's too fucking difficult to look at both materials in depth and then come up with a formula for the friction. And as for the forces changing while skating, yes of course they do. But they'd change just the same for both wheels, so I don't see what difference it would make. Generally static friction is higher than kinetic friction. That's why you lighten the load on the board for a powerslide cuz if you wouldn't, you'd slip out by applying the constant force needed to break over the static friction. It's essentially quite simple.

To me a statement like this is quite insane. "No matter what you can't prove me wrong because I refuse to believe anything, so I'm right!" I mean, you do you, it just doesn't make any sense to me. Being a skateboarder I do know that skateboarding is 98% in the mind. Minor changes can have a huge impact. How much of that is placebo and how much of it is actual I can't say. But if it's not quantifiable in any way then I'd say that it's likely a placebo effect. Nothing wrong with that, it's a scientifically proven thing but knowing that you're essentially deluding yourself can be quite useful IMO. I seem to notice a difference in skating a board with a 14.5" and a 14.375" wheelbase for example. That's a 0.125" difference, 3.175 mm. That's crazy little. There's no doubt that such a change won't impact the force required to pop but wether that change is significant enough to notice is a whole another thing. Also for that there are many other things that impact it, so I'm not entirely convinced that I could notice that difference in wheelbase on two exactly same shape boards. Would be interesting to test that out but finding such boards doesn't seem very likely.

Maybe those wheels are too relatively similar to make a difference. My experience with early '90s bearing covers was that they offered little grip. Maybe you can do another experiment with early '80s Powell Cubic IIIs vs. Toxic 39ers.

I wasn't around for either of those wheels but weren't the 80s wheels relatively soft? No idea how hard the bearing covers were but if they were harder, that alone would explain the differences. Even though there's no direct correlation between wheel durometer and grip generally softer wheels have much more grip.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2019, 12:12:22 PM »

I can't do blunts so can't say anything about those but powerslides, reverts and just general grip carving around I have noticed absolutely no difference between wheels of different width. I just recently changed from worn out 54 mm Conical Fulls to 54 mm Radial Slims and the grip is the same as far as I can tell. 99A and 101A it feels like the static friction is largely the same but the kinetic friction is noticeably less on 101A. Changed from 99A Conicals to 101A Conical Fulls this summer and getting them to slide was just as easy IMO but I was slipping out like mad on the 101As while with the 99As I could keep it much better in control. Wether this is true or not, I do not know but it was my experience this summer when I paid really close attention to it.

I see, thats quite interesting. Obviously the difference between different durometers is to be expected. So what do you think the functional difference between wide and skinny wheels are? Besides weight and how much grinding room they leave on your truck.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2019, 01:30:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I see, thats quite interesting. Obviously the difference between different durometers is to be expected. So what do you think the functional difference between wide and skinny wheels are? Besides weight and how much grinding room they leave on your truck.

That's a really good question. One I have never really considered before. And I can't think of any other benefit that narrower wheels would have apart from having less air resistance and thus being able to roll faster. I don't think the air resistance differences of skateboard wheels really have any significant impact though seeing as they're such a small part of the total air resistance of the board and the rider. And other benefits of wider wheels probably negate that benefit very easily. Narrower wheels also don't hydroplane as easily as wider wheels but that's hardly an issue with skateboard wheels. This is something I need to think more about as it really piqued my interest. 🤔

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2019, 02:42:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

That's a really good question. One I have never really considered before. And I can't think of any other benefit that narrower wheels would have apart from having less air resistance and thus being able to roll faster. I don't think the air resistance differences of skateboard wheels really have any significant impact though seeing as they're such a small part of the total air resistance of the board and the rider. And other benefits of wider wheels probably negate that benefit very easily. Narrower wheels also don't hydroplane as easily as wider wheels but that's hardly an issue with skateboard wheels. This is something I need to think more about as it really piqued my interest. 🤔

My personal experience is that narrow wheels are faster on smooth ground whereas really wide wheels feel a bit more sluggish, but narrow wheels are shittier and slower on rougher terrain. I don't know the physics behind this but maybe its because wider wheels distribute your weight over a larger surface area? I've definitely skated some spots that aren't really skateable on skinny wheels but do ok on conical fulls.

Besides having more room to grind and being lighter, I think another benefit of narrow wheels is that they make your board feel more nimble and easier to flip. Intuitively this could to be related to why narrow trucks seem to make boards easier to flip (according to some) because it brings the weight of the wheels closer to the centre of the axis of rotation as opposed to right on the very edge like with wider trucks? What do you think
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 03:18:48 PM by tzhangdox »

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2019, 03:23:07 PM »
Don’t throw quotes around words I didn’t say and attribute them to me. You’re complaining people attack you personally over this and you’re doing exactly that to others. I’m not here making a claim.  In fact, I’ve agreed your experiment proved what you wanted it to. It’s just too narrow to be meaningful. There’s a ton of other forces at play when you’re rolling along and break into a slide that you’re ignoring. I’m not claiming I know them all, I’m just saying I know that it’s not all accounted for and your experiment here doesn’t really say anything about skateboarding in action.

You’re chasing the dragon.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2019, 12:57:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

My personal experience is that narrow wheels are faster on smooth ground whereas really wide wheels feel a bit more sluggish, but narrow wheels are shittier and slower on rougher terrain. I don't know the physics behind this but maybe its because wider wheels distribute your weight over a larger surface area? I've definitely skated some spots that aren't really skateable on skinny wheels but do ok on conical fulls.

Besides having more room to grind and being lighter, I think another benefit of narrow wheels is that they make your board feel more nimble and easier to flip. Intuitively this could to be related to why narrow trucks seem to make boards easier to flip (according to some) because it brings the weight of the wheels closer to the centre of the axis of rotation as opposed to right on the very edge like with wider trucks? What do you think

Narrower wheels would accelerate faster but not keep their speed as well as wider wheels due to moment of inertia differences. Smaller effect than on wheel diameter though. A wheel being "faster" could mean a number of things. But I can't think any other reason why a narrower wheel would be faster. Mind you, I haven't looked into this very much so it may be that I am neglecting something here. 🤔 Wider wheels definitely go over rough ground much better.

For flips, yes this is exactly how it goes. I haven't successfully flipped my board in ages so I don't have any sense about how significant the difference might be. Same board, same trucks, different width wheels probably less so than same board, same wheels and wider trucks. I guess this could all be calculated if one wanted.

Don’t throw quotes around words I didn’t say and attribute them to me. You’re complaining people attack you personally over this and you’re doing exactly that to others. I’m not here making a claim.  In fact, I’ve agreed your experiment proved what you wanted it to. It’s just too narrow to be meaningful. There’s a ton of other forces at play when you’re rolling along and break into a slide that you’re ignoring. I’m not claiming I know them all, I’m just saying I know that it’s not all accounted for and your experiment here doesn’t really say anything about skateboarding in action.

You’re chasing the dragon.

I'm sorry sharkin. My message came off as quite hostile. I got annoyed. I should take a breath and think about how I deliver my message. This has been an ongoing problem in my life since forever. I should know better by now. 😬

But isn't what you said essentially that nothing can be done to prove you wrong in this? Maybe I misunderstood but that is how I read it. I would like to know what these forces are that you're talking about. Also mind you that this experiment was only about static friction, not kinetic friction. Kinetic friction experiments I will do later on.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2019, 02:36:16 AM »
Dude he literally said he's not making a claim, so theres nothing for you to prove wrong. No need to assume that everyone is having a crack at you.

As far as the stuff we talked about, when I said that narrower wheels feel faster on really smooth ground, the feeling is probably due to the acceleration. Idk wider wheels sometimes just feel sluggish and 'glued' do the ground compared to narrow wheels which feel more nimble to me on really nice ground.

The flippability thing I'd agree with you. Going from ace 44s to 55s made a board take way more effort to flip than going from radial slims to conical fulls on the same board. Though holding all else constant, especially for flip tricks I struggle with a bit more, getting wheels with noticeably different width will still make a difference in how it feels to flip.

What do you think of this? Especially the bolded part, seems like it would still be relevant to skateboard wheels. Found it on google:
"Friction is proportional to the normal force of the asphalt acting upon the car tires. This force is simply equal to the weight which is distributed to each tire when the car is on level ground. Force can be stated as Pressure X Area. For a wide tire, the area is large but the force per unit area is small and vice versa. The force of friction is therefore the same whether the tire is wide or not. However, asphalt is not a uniform surface. Even with steamrollers to flatten the asphalt, the surface is still somewhat irregular, especially over the with of a tire. Drag racers can therefore increase the probability or likelihood of making contact with the road by using a wider tire. In addition a secondary benefit is that the wider tire increased the support base and makes it hard to turn the car over in a turn or in a mishap."
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 02:56:12 AM by tzhangdox »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2019, 03:25:55 AM »
Dude he literally said he's not making a claim, so theres nothing for you to prove wrong. No need to assume that everyone is having a crack at you.

As far as the stuff we talked about, when I said that narrower wheels feel faster on really smooth ground, the feeling is probably due to the acceleration. Idk wider wheels sometimes just feel sluggish and 'glued' do the ground compared to narrow wheels which feel more nimble to me on really nice ground.

The flippability thing I'd agree with you. Going from ace 44s to 55s made a board take way more effort to flip than going from radial slims to conical fulls on the same board. Though holding all else constant, especially for flip tricks I struggle with a bit more, getting wheels with noticeably different width will still make a difference in how it feels to flip.

What do you think of this? Especially the bolded part, seems like it would still be relevant to skateboard wheels. Found it on google:
"Friction is proportional to the normal force of the asphalt acting upon the car tires. This force is simply equal to the weight which is distributed to each tire when the car is on level ground. Force can be stated as Pressure X Area. For a wide tire, the area is large but the force per unit area is small and vice versa. The force of friction is therefore the same whether the tire is wide or not. However, asphalt is not a uniform surface. Even with steamrollers to flatten the asphalt, the surface is still somewhat irregular, especially over the with of a tire. Drag racers can therefore increase the probability or likelihood of making contact with the road by using a wider tire. In addition a secondary benefit is that the wider tire increased the support base and makes it hard to turn the car over in a turn or in a mishap."

The part i highlighted in red leads me to believe the writer doesn't really know what he's talking about. I think it is well established that a wider car tire does not change the contact area but merely changes the shape of it. Also car tires are way softer than skateboard wheels and are also filled with air and they have much bigger mass weighing down on them. So the deformation of a car tire compared to the deformation of a skateboard wheel are two very different things.

Now if the contact area would be smaller, that would lead to increased pressure and more deformation. Depending on the surface roughness, this could fill the voids better. If we assume that the voids are perfectly filled at all times then having a larger contact area could possibly provide more grip due to catching. However the pressure is less and I don't know exactly how that affects the materials clinging to each other but I am assuming it all cancels out as that's essentially what happens with friction.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2019, 05:48:02 AM »
No worries Rois. Respect.
I honestly don’t know what forces are at play. It’s too complicated and well above my understanding. I took calculus based physics in college 13 years ago but barely remember what I learned. I know that every example we looked at was so simplified it has hardly practical. Every problem on the tests held the entire world constant while we solved for a few variables. Maybe this is something I can’t get over.
To add some of my experience in this particular area, I’ve ridden conical fulls and classic slims back to back. The classic slims you barely had to push to get them to slide. The conical fulls required a much smaller angle of horizontal force to break. Both were easy to slide (they’re F4s, duh!) but it was definitely the case that the slims had less traction and were more prone to slipping out on high speed carves and rolling around on rough ground.
I think there’s a post, perhaps you’ve linked to it on the previous page, where someone said it takes more force to break a wider wheel into a slide but once sliding the difference between wide and slim are negligible. I think that’s worth something looking into with anything. The log shaped “curve of slideability” on a graph would look initially steeper on one than the other if that makes sense.

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2019, 07:42:18 AM »
such a small difference in fig 1 could possibly be accounted for by the combined differences in weight and height between setups—conicals are heavier, with a higher center of gravity—so thinking of controls could be good for that. adding a standard weight load to both setups could help for the former, but no idea of what the effect size for the latter might be.

surface type controls would be good too. i think that, unlike in an assumption of perfectly smooth ground, in uneven surfaces the probability distribution of % contact area might have more to do with what we think of as "grip".

more methods for applying force would also be good to test out, applied evenly and unevenly from different directions.

i guess there are lots of assumptions to be made and fleshed out. this is a cool idea tho. will check on your next experiment.
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2019, 12:06:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The part i highlighted in red leads me to believe the writer doesn't really know what he's talking about. I think it is well established that a wider car tire does not change the contact area but merely changes the shape of it. Also car tires are way softer than skateboard wheels and are also filled with air and they have much bigger mass weighing down on them. So the deformation of a car tire compared to the deformation of a skateboard wheel are two very different things.

Now if the contact area would be smaller, that would lead to increased pressure and more deformation. Depending on the surface roughness, this could fill the voids better. If we assume that the voids are perfectly filled at all times then having a larger contact area could possibly provide more grip due to catching. However the pressure is less and I don't know exactly how that affects the materials clinging to each other but I am assuming it all cancels out as that's essentially what happens with friction.

Do you have a source for this? Even if this was not true, in the context of skateboard wheels haven't we all agreed that a wider wheel leads to more contact area? Also, how does a smaller contact area lead to more deformation? I think the more grip due to likelihood of catching you're referring to is what the whole point of this paragraph is about even if you do take issue with some of the details.

My experience with slim and wide wheels when breaking into slides is very similar to Sharkins. I don't know if there's many hills where you are from. But if you find a gnarlier hill (for your ability whatever it is) where you'll have to powerslide frequently and somewhat hold on for dear life, try do it with classics then try the same thing with conical fulls. I will be seriously surprised if you still insist they feel exactly the same afterwards.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 12:09:46 PM by tzhangdox »

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2019, 01:14:10 PM »
While wide wheels allow you to comfortably roll over crusty ground it absolutely will cause more friction when power sliding on crusty ground or sliding an imperfect ledge.

There’s more wheel to snag.  I feel like nobody brings this up.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2019, 09:05:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Do you have a source for this? Even if this was not true, in the context of skateboard wheels haven't we all agreed that a wider wheel leads to more contact area? Also, how does a smaller contact area lead to more deformation? I think the more grip due to likelihood of catching you're referring to is what the whole point of this paragraph is about even if you do take issue with some of the details.

My experience with slim and wide wheels when breaking into slides is very similar to Sharkins. I don't know if there's many hills where you are from. But if you find a gnarlier hill (for your ability whatever it is) where you'll have to powerslide frequently and somewhat hold on for dear life, try do it with classics then try the same thing with conical fulls. I will be seriously surprised if you still insist they feel exactly the same afterwards.

Had this great link discussing a lot of things about car tires but can't find it now. I can try to dig it up later. Here's one on bike tires which perform pretty much the same as car tires:
https://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/rolling_resistance
At the same inflation pressure, a wide and a narrow tire have the same contact area. A wide tire is flattened over its width whereas a narrow tire has a slimmer but longer contact area.

Smaller contact area leads to more deformation due to the pressure being higher as the force stays the same but the area is smaller.

Wether skateboard wheels have a larger contact area with wider wheels I don't know. I haven't looked into it enough to say much about it. I guess it all depends on how skateboard wheels deform. But that is besides the point as friction does not depend on contact area.

We've got hills around here. Got one that's quite nice for powersliding too. Freshly paved so you actually get some speed after powersliding instead of just going slowly along on the rough as shit asphalt. I could go do A/B tests with Classics and Conical fulls on it once spring is around although I think I'd have to get 54 mm Conical Fulls for it to be a fair comparison. Hopefully those will be available around here soon enough.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2019, 09:19:55 PM »
I think what the quote I linked is trying to say isn't that the feeling of increased 'grip' or 'traction' is due to the increased surface area resulting in more friction per say, but rather that your wheel (if we agree that the contact surface is larger), is more likely to 'catch' onto uneven bits and pieces on a non uniform surface if that makes sense.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 09:22:40 PM by tzhangdox »

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2019, 03:07:23 PM »
so you're the smartest person on slap? haha cool stuff

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2019, 12:57:44 AM »
I think what the quote I linked is trying to say isn't that the feeling of increased 'grip' or 'traction' is due to the increased surface area resulting in more friction per say, but rather that your wheel (if we agree that the contact surface is larger), is more likely to 'catch' onto uneven bits and pieces on a non uniform surface if that makes sense.

Yes, I understand that but a smaller contact patch would dig in deeper and catch more strongly due to increased pressure. I think this is the basis why friction does not depend on surface area. You have to keep in mind that no matter how smooth the two contacting surfaces are, there’s still gonna be catching at some level, however minuscule and this is one part that forms friction.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2019, 01:45:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, I understand that but a smaller contact patch would dig in deeper and catch more strongly due to increased pressure. I think this is the basis why friction does not depend on surface area. You have to keep in mind that no matter how smooth the two contacting surfaces are, there’s still gonna be catching at some level, however minuscule and this is one part that forms friction.

Do you have a source for this? Imagining real world scenarios in my head, the differences in pressure seem like it would be a very minuscule difference whereas the actual motion of 'catching' is what makes the difference, rather than how strongly it 'catches'. Ultimately a larger surface area is much more likely to catch onto more surface when it comes to uneven terrain. At this point I'm pulling this shit out my ass, but its still fun to think about.

Yes, no matter how smooth the surfaces are, there is catching and unevenness. However that doesn't necessarily mean that in real world applications, slim wheels and wide wheels are going to behave the same relative to each other on both glass and rough asphalt.

I recently graduated and still live right next to the uni campus, maybe I should find the appropriate faculty and show up to their office hours with some of these questions lol.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 01:52:11 AM by tzhangdox »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2019, 04:28:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Do you have a source for this? Imagining real world scenarios in my head, the differences in pressure seem like it would be a very minuscule difference whereas the actual motion of 'catching' is what makes the difference, rather than how strongly it 'catches'. Ultimately a larger surface area is much more likely to catch onto more surface when it comes to uneven terrain. At this point I'm pulling this shit out my ass, but its still fun to think about.

Yes, no matter how smooth the surfaces are, there is catching and unevenness. However that doesn't necessarily mean that in real world applications, slim wheels and wide wheels are going to behave the same relative to each other on both glass and rough asphalt.

I recently graduated and still live right next to the uni campus, maybe I should find the appropriate faculty and show up to their office hours with some of these questions lol.

https://www2.virginia.edu/ep/SurfaceScience/friction.html

That friction is independent of contact area can be found in any educational material about friction basics.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2019, 06:58:56 AM »
Why would you need an experiment to prove this?  Wtf?
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2019, 07:48:22 AM »
Why would you need an experiment to prove this?  Wtf?

Because people claim that basic physics do not apply to skateboard wheels. I've been getting shit for stating this for quite a while and I'm sick of it so I decided to make experiments to hopefully prove that basic physics do apply to skateboard wheels also. So far it doesn't seem to have done any good though.  :D

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2019, 08:58:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

https://www2.virginia.edu/ep/SurfaceScience/friction.html

That friction is independent of contact area can be found in any educational material about friction basics.

Yes I know that all basic physics books say that, but I've never seen anyone say that it is because of the smaller contact patch digging deeper due to increased pressure. (then again I haven't looked very hard either)

In that link, it does note some potential exceptions, saying that the coefficient of friction m is "independent of load L and macroscopic area A if P is constant or much larger than t0," with t0 being the initial shear yield stress I believe. "This fails when adhesion is strong (large t0)," though I'm not sure if these exceptions apply to this situation in skating.

Thanks for the link though, nice and concise but very clear. I see what you were trying to say, "2) the friction force is proportional to the applied load." Though it seems that its not necessarily as black and white as you make it out to be.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2019, 09:08:26 AM »
it seems that its not necessarily as black and white as you make it out to be.
We aren't making anything out to be different than what scientists have been stating, which is that friction is independent of surface area. Nobody stating otherwise has any evidence other than, "it seems."

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2019, 10:35:45 AM »
Sure, quote the bit where I say “it seems” but ignore the above paragraph where the article being referred to states that there are conditions in which the model fails, showing that this is quite literally not a black and white issue.

I’ve never actually disagreed with the premise that friction is completely independent of surface area, just mentioned in my own experiences whilst noting that they are likely biased. Also thought out loud about how other factors could result in the feeling of increased ‘grip’ or ‘traction’ such as how smooth a wheel feels on rough ground as opposed to friction being the sole factor that affects ‘traction’ in the colloquial sense.

Also, this experiment is literally insufficient in supporting the hypothesis that friction is independent   of contact patch (refer to t-test on first page), more comprehensive testing is required.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2019, 12:42:10 PM »
  Rite so some super skinny wheel that flexes will be grippier.  Thats more then just contact width tho. Thats overall width as well. A better example would be the bones fatty which is structurly rigid from its width but has a comparativly smaller c. Patch. 
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2019, 06:25:39 AM »
Let's investigate the relationship between load, surface area, and angle of force.

Let's say I weigh X kg and I'm standing perfectly over my wheels so all that X kg of my weight is putting pressure on the contact patch. To slide, I shift my weight diagonally on my wheels, transferring some of my X kg of weight into a lateral force.
On a wheel with a smaller contact patch vs a larger contact patch, there is more of a chance (assuming the same angle) that my weight transfers to a lateral force on the side of the wheel. The wider wheel I would have more pressure on top of the wheel. In this case, the pressure on the top of the wheel and the side of the wheel are different depending on the contact patch.

This is is my best way to describe the phenomenon of "thinner wheels seem to break into a slide easier than wide wheels."