Author Topic: the Bunt is back  (Read 300307 times)

MeanestCleanestPenis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 40
Re: the Bunt is back
« Reply #570 on: October 29, 2020, 09:43:15 AM »
Expand Quote
When he started talking about skaters on Zero all having blown out knees and getting dusted...it made me respect Chris Cole even more for sticking with that camp for so long (well he's back again) and winning two SOTY's.

I still feel bad that Marissa Dal Santo got dusted from being on Zero...hell I'd never want to skate for Zero myself. If I was a good skater back in the day I would want to go with something respectable but way more chill...like Expedition or something
[close]
Now that I'm in my mid-30's, Zero vids make me nervous. It's a small miracle Gabbers or Burman haven't had a career ending injury by this stage of the game. *Might be worth it for that 360 flip roof gap.

Same as me man! I know it isn't all about the money but at least Cole and Jamie have set themselves up well financially. Most of the Zero guys are probably putting themselves on the line for a little over a thousand a month. I do wonder if guys like Burman and Summers are just that raw they would do it with or without a paycheck?

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #571 on: October 29, 2020, 12:37:48 PM »
you could audibly hear how bummed the bunt guys were during the interview. now that i’m reading he had major head trauma that must be factoring in, but that early rant where he called pro skaters pussies and retards and whatnot you hear the air completely sucked out of cephas and donovan’s sails

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #572 on: October 29, 2020, 12:58:43 PM »
you could audibly hear how bummed the bunt guys were during the interview. now that i’m reading he had major head trauma that must be factoring in, but that early rant where he called pro skaters pussies and retards and whatnot you hear the air completely sucked out of cephas and donovan’s sails

Completely agree. You could hear their disappointment and awkwardness after he went off on a rant and Dono said "ya we were more talking about like how your part was edited.." Not a lot of conversation in this episode compared to Jahmir's or Brock's. More so call and response

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #573 on: October 29, 2020, 01:04:51 PM »
Every thing Ryan said about Jamie Thomas is spot on, i've never heard anyone articulate it so well...Jamie is a Psycho who cares about no one but himself and i assume family.

Ryan made quite a few good points throughout.

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #574 on: October 29, 2020, 01:12:38 PM »
damn, he sounds hella bitter. he says he's bummed zero portrayed him as a party guy alcoholic but then later on he calls himself an alcoholic during that time. kinda backtracking, like he's not really sure himself of what he's upset about at times. he definitely got the bunt guys bummed out, you can hear in their voice at 32 mins when they abruptly cut him off and are like "well, we're happy you reconnected with skateboarding" haha.

funny how he's been gone from skating for a few years and is now back, talking to "the blunt live" as if he knows how to steer their company the right way, but then asks them questions like he's never heard of the bunt before. i get when he's saying canada is underrepresented but has he heard of dime? just sounds like he hasn't been up to date with skating.

good interview, though. his rds, zero & dc parts were sick. didn't know he was in a motorcycle accident. i did like how he brings up how alcoholism shouldn't be glorified especially after greco, shane cross & p-stone.
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #575 on: October 29, 2020, 01:30:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Completely agree. You could hear their disappointment and awkwardness after he went off on a rant and Dono said "ya we were more talking about like how your part was edited.." Not a lot of conversation in this episode compared to Jahmir's or Brock's. More so call and response

For sure, the energy really shone through audio. The digs on this felt more dark than spicy. Eventually it felt like the boys were avoiding pursuing any shit talk at all, which I get. I almost wish they kept the energy on their usual high throughout this episode, but shit, it gets frustrating asking someone a question 3 times just to get cut off with a misinterpreted reply each time, so I understand that. Great episode either way.

I have friends with TBIs that are similar, it can be difficult to get a word in or have a conversation stay on track so I'm not blaming Ryan. Glad to hear he picked up the board again.

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #576 on: October 29, 2020, 01:57:49 PM »
This is the podcast that talks about sports and fantasy football right?

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #577 on: October 29, 2020, 03:24:01 PM »
damn, he sounds hella bitter. he says he's bummed zero portrayed him as a party guy alcoholic but then later on he calls himself an alcoholic during that time. kinda backtracking, like he's not really sure himself of what he's upset about at times. he definitely got the bunt guys bummed out, you can hear in their voice at 32 mins when they abruptly cut him off and are like "well, we're happy you reconnected with skateboarding" haha.

funny how he's been gone from skating for a few years and is now back, talking to "the blunt live" as if he knows how to steer their company the right way, but then asks them questions like he's never heard of the bunt before. i get when he's saying canada is underrepresented but has he heard of dime? just sounds like he hasn't been up to date with skating.

good interview, though. his rds, zero & dc parts were sick. didn't know he was in a motorcycle accident. i did like how he brings up how alcoholism shouldn't be glorified especially after greco, shane cross & p-stone.
Yeah, its different now. Dime is good. It used to be very hard to be pro for a shoe brand and live in either Toronto or Montreal despite them being the two largest cities in Canada. Even when Morgan got big exposure for winning BATB (he deserved exposure for his skating alone, not a Berric's contest), I'm pretty sure DC wouldn't put him fully on unless he relocated to the States. Pretty much until recently, if you were pro and Canadian you moved to Cali (Appleyard, Rick Howard, etc), or Vancouver (Wade, Spencer, McCrank) which was in close proximity. Now, you have guys like Bobby DeKeyzer who is pro for Quasi, Wade moved back to Ontario and with a shred Converse pro shoe living out of Toronto, Dustin and ET on Van living in MTL, and Will Marshall fully on DC living in Canada. Part of that is how easy it is to send footage or create content without being near your brands filmers or photographers. The barriers to entry seemed to have been broken down in recent years.

Now, Canada is a country with a notably higher population than Australia and similar standards of living, and Australia has way more notable pros, but that is likely heavily influenced by the weather, just like you see more pros from Florida and California than you do from the North-East or Mid-West.

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #578 on: October 29, 2020, 05:51:44 PM »
Never meet your heroes

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #579 on: October 29, 2020, 06:26:06 PM »
Someone can be a shithead and have a brain injury. Does anyone think he was a cool, thoughtful guy before his accident?

robertson

• Rep: -8
« Reply #580 on: October 29, 2020, 07:25:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Dude seems annoying as fuck, but I did enjoy the beef.
[close]
Yeah, tweeker vibes giving me shivers.
[close]
dude had a life altering motorcycle accident, shit can mess you up pretty bad.
This is so true.  I've actually witnessed this personally.  An ex-boss had a brain injury and it completely change him.  It got to the point where he would tell us to do pointless tasks that made no sense.  Eventually he lost his business, and his family.  It was really sad to see.

As far as the Ryan Smith interview..the rambling was a bit much at times, but there was some gold sprinkled in there.
The AVE/Analog story cracked me up. 
It was awesome hearing about his sessions in Toronto.  I've been to a few of those spots and they are legendary.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #581 on: October 29, 2020, 07:57:59 PM »
How bad was his actual injury tho? Because any concussion is a brain injury and most pros have had one at some point. I’ve had two myself and i don’t think they changed me long term

quesly

• Rep: 14
« Reply #582 on: October 29, 2020, 08:02:40 PM »
This is the podcast that talks about sports and fantasy football right?
their NBA takes are awful. Stephen A Smith/Skip Bayless level trash. They said something like Kobe would have wanted the Lakers to lose. My big gripe with their podcast is they should not talk about sports because A. most skaters don't give a shit and B. They don't know what they're talking about. and C. Nobody gives a shit about your fantasy team.

quesly

• Rep: 14
« Reply #583 on: October 29, 2020, 08:04:12 PM »
Never meet your heroes
can we go back to "I wonder what ever happened to Ryan Smith"?

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #584 on: October 29, 2020, 08:10:29 PM »
Just listened to the first time today and fired through 6 episodes on an 8 hour drive
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • I lovuh da guile
« Reply #585 on: October 29, 2020, 08:27:49 PM »
How bad was his actual injury tho? Because any concussion is a brain injury and most pros have had one at some point. I’ve had two myself and i don’t think they changed me long term
nice dude

CurbyPuckit

• Rep: -40
« Reply #586 on: October 30, 2020, 04:29:26 AM »

How the hell do people not know or remember his motorcycle accident?  Dude went from being the face of DC and backlipping 20 stairs to disappearing into obscurity.... obviously there was a reason

CurbyPuckit

• Rep: -40
« Reply #587 on: October 30, 2020, 04:31:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
nice dude

Sick duck is a sick fuck

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #588 on: October 30, 2020, 08:29:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
nice dude
[close]

Sick duck is a sick fuck
i’m just saying it sounds like one person is blaming his attitude on a brain injury and then everyone else is rolling with that. Could be true i’m just wondering

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #589 on: October 30, 2020, 09:02:11 AM »
Well that was a really difficult listen

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #590 on: October 30, 2020, 09:12:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
nice dude
[close]

Sick duck is a sick fuck
[close]
i’m just saying it sounds like one person is blaming his attitude on a brain injury and then everyone else is rolling with that. Could be true i’m just wondering

There are different stages of concussions. A concussion is anytime the brain moves rapidly back and fourth. I’ve had quite a few but it wasn’t from anything remotely as close to what he went through. One bad enough blow is enough to permanently change someone.

Also frontal lobe damage is fucking brutal. The frontal lobe controls cognitive skills like emotional expression, problem solving, memory, language, judgment, and sexual behaviors. There’s a common trait among serial killers, and that is that they have had frontal lobe damage.

Sources: myself and healthline.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 765
« Reply #591 on: October 30, 2020, 02:33:35 PM »
Even though Smith comes off as bitter at times, it's his unfiltered stories which makes the Bunt entertaining. Hats off to the Bunt for another great episode. 

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #592 on: October 30, 2020, 05:43:24 PM »
There was always a rumor that a fucked up Sheffey held him out a hotel window at Slam City Jam when he was flow for Girl. Wish it got confirmed or denied.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
« Reply #593 on: November 03, 2020, 07:41:56 AM »
Ryan's not pulling any punches on JT. But he's also not wrong. Forcefully molding a young person's identity and actions for your personal benefit, while ensuring they're always intoxicated, then cutting them off once they're no longer of value. That sounds like exploitation and predatory behavior to me too.

THIS!

A lot of you keep saying you're hearing "tweaker vibes". I hear a person who doesn't get to talk a lot about his emotions at all and just ended up babbling on. I get that way sometimes. In my head its pretty stoic but then if I'm talking about something I'm passionate/bitter about. He's growing. He will find his peace. Wish him all the best and he's killin the park on his IG.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #594 on: November 03, 2020, 09:11:36 AM »
Love the bunt. Turn it off before sports part. But damn Ryan smith seemed annoying as fuck the laugh after he says some jab at something. I get maybe he’s finally able to say how he feels but he also came off as a know it all. No one wants sticker packs.

Also to echo what was said earlier you can be an annoying asshole and have a TBI. Dude seemed annoying before the accident.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #595 on: November 03, 2020, 09:56:31 AM »
he almost died from my understanding

wildbillhiccup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -78
  • JACKASS
« Reply #596 on: November 03, 2020, 09:56:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Jah bulbasaur's slang is mad annoying and he isn't as talented/ stylish compare to like 90% of flow skaters out there. Joey Obrien is philly SOTY every damn year. Jake Johnson's switch flip back nosegrind was much better than the ss bs nose blunt. Kinda Surprised that wasn't ABD in the 2000s. Pyramid ledge is also not tall or long either...

Ryan smith is definitely full of emotions toward blackbox... he should let it go. Jamie Thomas is and always has been a kook, but tough to believe the kids on Zero didn't know that.
[close]

You would hate Philly then.
[close]

Ive been going to philly since 2004... none of the homies I stay with ever use that new slang.
Pull up.

n0torious

• Rep: 153
« Reply #597 on: November 03, 2020, 10:31:12 AM »
Jamie, like he would once prowl the world seeking death-defying spots, now roams the the internet looking for ways to debase himself. Ripping off a superfan to pay for a divorce? Check. Selling marked-up pro boards for skaters he threw in the trash years ago? Check.

Ryan definitely came off fried but he spoke no lies. Hope he finds some peace.

wildbillhiccup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -78
  • JACKASS
« Reply #598 on: November 03, 2020, 10:36:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Jahmir episode was really good. Might be bias cause he dope dude IRL. Really interested in knowing what happened between him and Stevie. Shots low-key were fired and he was selling all his old Stevie wall boards and shit on IG stories the other day.
[close]

Yeah same. I wouldn't even say it was shots fired, it just sounded like he really looked up to Stevie and got really disillusioned when skating for DGK. He said something along the lines of, "He wasn't who I thought he was..." and I thought it sounded pretty sad.
[close]

For sure definitely a better way to put it. Sounds like an example of never meet your idols or something? I just can't even fathom what could've possibly happened.
[close]

Mehh, Jahmir bounced for the next best thing just like how he quit working at Noc and continued to talk shit on them until he realized that he wouldn't be much without the support of those dudes. He's spewing all this stuff about Palace and DC but best believe that if Nike or Adidas calls he'll throw DC under the bus as soon as possible. He was all about DGK then Palace came along he was throwing DGK under the bus the next day. Same kid that couldn't be bothered to wake up for work and same dude who actually said "food should be free for me" and "I'll take Philly SOTY". I don't really agree with the a lot of the stuff saying how humble the dude is, homie got lucky by getting free stuff b/c of older dudes taking him under his wing. I don't really get the hype about how he's blowing up, dude's a chaser and doesn't really do his own thing. There's plenty of other skaters in Philly who are better and gnarlier but he's been on DGK/ DC's dick for so long without that image he wouldn't really be shit. I got love for the dude but he's basically full of shit from what I heard in his interview. Same dude who seems like he doesn't give a fuck is mad chill, saying people have beef on him is the same dude who is happy to talk shit with his people if you don't look like them. Knowing the guy personally I, it's cool to see him blowing up but he's mad full of hot air like the rest of these kids inflated ego's that haven't actually accomplished anything yet. The fact that the chose him and Kyle Wilson just shows that they're running short on guests to come on a podcast and talk shit. The younger people try to come off so hard as something they obviously are not esp the Palace kids.
I really liked Jahmir's part in the new Thoro video. I already bought a few of the new decks for wall boards.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #599 on: November 03, 2020, 10:40:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Ryan's not pulling any punches on JT. But he's also not wrong. Forcefully molding a young person's identity and actions for your personal benefit, while ensuring they're always intoxicated, then cutting them off once they're no longer of value. That sounds like exploitation and predatory behavior to me too.
[close]

THIS!

A lot of you keep saying you're hearing "tweaker vibes". I hear a person who doesn't get to talk a lot about his emotions at all and just ended up babbling on. I get that way sometimes. In my head its pretty stoic but then if I'm talking about something I'm passionate/bitter about. He's growing. He will find his peace. Wish him all the best and he's killin the park on his IG.
I mean this with no disrespect or malice: with everything he's dealt with, dude would really benefit from a therapist.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.