Author Topic: Bastien gofundme  (Read 23080 times)

Esmith5488

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
Re: Bastien gofundme
« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2020, 05:37:36 AM »
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gear_acquisition_syndrome
GAS is a real thing but I never had it for guitars, it was always more pedals.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 10:54:37 AM by Esmith5488 »

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 734
« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2020, 07:59:37 AM »
GAS is real. I've bought 80 pedals in the last 2 years.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2020, 08:15:27 AM »

Yea same I get tons of thick catalogs from guitar center every other month because I buy a lot of shit there ...guitar related about 10% of the time ...rule is to have rent paid at least and food and weed stocked before I buy more shit

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3374
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2020, 08:48:21 AM »
OMG there have been times in my lift that I've had terrible GAS.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1500
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2020, 08:50:29 AM »
OMG there have been times in my lift that I've had terrible GAS.
#metoo GAS photography is the worst for me.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2020, 01:15:58 PM »

Best cure. Spend $80 of that pedal budget on a decent soldering rig and make an account at freestompboxes. I haven't bought a pedal in about three years.

hateboard

• Rep: -277
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #126 on: January 04, 2020, 01:59:46 PM »
I get the whole aged wood has better tone argument, but for someone in Bastien's position with a kid and a dwindling pro skate career, is blowing 8k on a relic tele really the best use of that money? Starting a college gofund for his kid might be the more responsible way to abuse his fame. I doubt he could blind tell the difference in sound between a recent USA tele and this old beast either way.

morningcommute

« Reply #127 on: January 04, 2020, 02:05:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Then he'd have to pay for it though
[close]
Why pay for it when you are delusional about your fame and think you still have enough fans that would for something you don’t really need. If I recall his ego has been an issue before hasn’t it?
[close]
I recall years ago about a crazy Bastien history. Long story short is that he donated a bunch of money to some African tribe, said tribe made him honorary member and gave him some "powers". Bastien thought he was indestructible so to prove it he jumped from the 4th floor of a hotel or sth like that. You can guess the outcome of all of this.

Bastien ego story:

A french friend told me a story years back about Bastien:
There was some vans funded comp in France where the skaters were divided into teams and and the winner was chosen by a sum of the whole teams scores. Bastien skated very well but the rest of his team didn’t cut it and as a result his team didn’t win the comp. there was a congratulatory champagne bottle at the judges table and when finding out he lost Bastien smashed the bottle on the table and threatened the judge, a vans employee, swearing and shouting that he would have him fired and he would never work for vans again.

I always thought it sounded insane but completely believable. I don’t suppose anyone could corroborate the story?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1572
« Reply #128 on: January 04, 2020, 03:24:58 PM »
Bastien ego story:

A french friend told me a story years back about Bastien:
There was some vans funded comp in France where the skaters were divided into teams and and the winner was chosen by a sum of the whole teams scores. Bastien skated very well but the rest of his team didn’t cut it and as a result his team didn’t win the comp. there was a congratulatory champagne bottle at the judges table and when finding out he lost Bastien smashed the bottle on the table and threatened the judge, a vans employee, swearing and shouting that he would have him fired and he would never work for vans again.

I always thought it sounded insane but completely believable. I don’t suppose anyone could corroborate the story?

Haven't heard that story in particular but many a similar one so I wouldn't be surprised, back in the day Bastien's contest or demo antics were always hot topics, he would regularly show up under influence of stuff and do wild shit. My two favorite stories are the one where he showed up too coked up to land a trick on a park rail, so he logically started talking to the rail, first threatening it then trying to bribe it with handfuls of cash into letting him do his trick (?), that's with a whole crowd watching; and also the one where he showed up to a demo he really had nothing to do with uninvited (I think an éS, DVS or V7 demo? it was over fucking fifteen years ago) just to show everyone up, from which he got kicked out of. Looking back at that time period, it feels like every skater in France had a crazy Bastien story at some point that really didn't help paint him in a good light.

To this day though, I feel bad for him about that 'lost part' of his. Dude was so good on a skateboard it took a good ten years for all the pioneering shit he had filmed in the mid 00's to ever see the light of the day, like the whole industry camped on those clips until they'd have lost most of their relevance. Had that avant-garde part come out in due time instead of getting all tangled up in industry shit, I'm sure it would have impacted skateboarding a lot more than it eventually did ten years too late. Wouldn't be surprised if living with that mistake equaled hell for Bastien. In a way, by keeping that footage hostage for a decade, companies basically chose to hinder the potential of skating's progression just because it wouldn't directly benefit them; now business is business, but from the skaters' perspective that just screams disconnection and kind of sucks.

To this day, Adrien Bulard keeps the flame alive by (getting caught) stealing whole Red Bull fridges from indoor skateparks at contests (as well as the leftover beer at parties). Got kicked out of and banned from the FISE last year as well, for a reason I would actually love to get the chance to hear in detail (an article I had written on the dude eventually never came out because of that last minute ban).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 03:32:28 PM by silhouette »

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #129 on: January 04, 2020, 04:06:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Best cure. Spend $80 of that pedal budget on a decent soldering rig and make an account at freestompboxes. I haven't bought a pedal in about three years.
[close]

that's true the parts for guitar pedals are ridiculously cheap and there are so many schematics shared onilne. you don't need a fancy soldering iron to start either. there are cheap ones for like $10 that will work. can be frustrating though i haven't messed around with that stuff in a minute.

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/
https://www.taydaelectronics.com/
While I’ve never made my own I’m super down to give it a shot. I like how this is turning into a gear thread. Thanks bastien

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #130 on: January 04, 2020, 04:23:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

that's true the parts for guitar pedals are ridiculously cheap and there are so many schematics shared onilne. you don't need a fancy soldering iron to start either. there are cheap ones for like $10 that will work. can be frustrating though i haven't messed around with that stuff in a minute.

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/
https://www.taydaelectronics.com/
[close]
While I’ve never made my own I’m super down to give it a shot. I like how this is turning into a gear thread. Thanks bastien

The short time I spent on IG, I did follow Bastien and was kind of surprised to see him playing blues all the time...And he was living with Steez Ortiz ...posting pics of guitars n shit , it was kinda weird

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #131 on: January 04, 2020, 04:33:45 PM »
Can't wait for the next crazy Bastien story to pop out
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Ghost Lurker

• Rep: 17
« Reply #132 on: January 04, 2020, 06:08:48 PM »
When the GAS strikes, you’ll do anything to figure out how to get the piece of gear you have in the crosshairs.

A go fund me thereby seems like a logical move that point, so who cares and best of luck if someone wants to buy anyone a guitar.

It would be awesome to see Bastien win a Grammy or something funny like be on the Voice, or even do a Skaterock gig or play some skate function.

darkthrone

• Rep: 156
« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2020, 02:17:29 AM »
Showed up at Bercy one day, in a suit and trilby, two guitars, no board. Asks to borrow my friends board, does a really gnarly line on the blocks not missing any tricks (can’t remember em off the top of my head but was definitely impressed and there was a really good kickflip back tail in there). Hands my friend his board back and says “that board feels like it has cancer.”

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #134 on: January 05, 2020, 02:26:15 AM »
Showed up at Bercy one day, in a suit and trilby, two guitars, no board. Asks to borrow my friends board, does a really gnarly line on the blocks not missing any tricks (can’t remember em off the top of my head but was definitely impressed and there was a really good kickflip back tail in there). Hands my friend his board back and says “that board feels like it has cancer.”
That made me laugh way too much this early.

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2020, 02:46:39 AM »
I need more Bastien stories.
silhouette, spill the beans.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2020, 03:09:20 AM »
When the GAS strikes, you’ll do anything to figure out how to get the piece of gear you have in the crosshairs.

A go fund me thereby seems like a logical move that point, so who cares and best of luck if someone wants to buy anyone a guitar.

It would be awesome to see Bastien win a Grammy or something funny like be on the Voice, or even do a Skaterock gig or play some skate function. actually skate.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2020, 05:39:04 AM »

I already served quite the two-platter just earlier but in moments of doubt, just rewatch this (I've probably posted that clip in every Bastien thread):

My favorite part is when the filmer tries to give someone else a chance at 1:26 then immediately reverts back to Bastien.

Adrien Bulard (El Toro back tail dude) used to puke his guts out on the course at every contest during every single of his runs, probably did so for a good one or two-year span. Occasionally he'd puke at the bottom of the obstacle he was skating and still go back for his trick even if that meant slipping out in his own puke. Back in the day a friend of mine skated a contest in Nantes and actually broke his arm there due to slipping out on Bulard's puke. For a while, if you looked up "adrien bulard" on YouTube, at least here the top suggestion to show up in search was "adrien bulard vomit" because of clips like this (I've posted this one before too but it's a performance art classic):

Someone also recently started an Adrien 'fan' page: https://www.instagram.com/adrienbulard_fanpage/
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 05:45:11 AM by silhouette »

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2020, 07:07:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I already served quite the two-platter just earlier but in moments of doubt, just rewatch this (I've probably posted that clip in every Bastien thread):

My favorite part is when the filmer tries to give someone else a chance at 1:26 then immediately reverts back to Bastien.

Adrien Bulard (El Toro back tail dude) used to puke his guts out on the course at every contest during every single of his runs, probably did so for a good one or two-year span. Occasionally he'd puke at the bottom of the obstacle he was skating and still go back for his trick even if that meant slipping out in his own puke. Back in the day a friend of mine skated a contest in Nantes and actually broke his arm there due to slipping out on Bulard's puke. For a while, if you looked up "adrien bulard" on YouTube, at least here the top suggestion to show up in search was "adrien bulard vomit" because of clips like this (I've posted this one before too but it's a performance art classic):

Someone also recently started an Adrien 'fan' page: https://www.instagram.com/adrienbulard_fanpage/
Sounds like adrien was spilling the beans.

But for real I would probably be pissed if I broke my arm slipping on puke too

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #139 on: January 05, 2020, 07:45:42 AM »
He should take a big shit on the floor while he’s at it.

morningcommute

« Reply #140 on: January 05, 2020, 09:01:59 AM »
What the fuck? Is he spewing from nervousness/anxiety/self pressure to perform?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #141 on: January 05, 2020, 09:41:34 AM »

He was a notorious crazy ass weed smoker at the time (every prize money he'd win would entirely go straight to weed as soon as the contest was over, and he won literally every contest in the country for a good two years), I think to the point where he started getting health issues so my (wild) guess is that was related. If the dude used to go out of his way to steal Red Bull fridges from skateparks, it's probably not too far off to imagine he used to be pretty braindead regarding self care, probably due to focusing on nothing but skateboarding.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 09:43:49 AM by silhouette »

Dirk_Diggler

« Reply #142 on: January 05, 2020, 09:48:43 AM »
Love the reaction of the dudes sitting on the quarter pipe

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
« Reply #143 on: January 05, 2020, 12:01:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He was a notorious crazy ass weed smoker at the time (every prize money he'd win would entirely go straight to weed as soon as the contest was over, and he won literally every contest in the country for a good two years), I think to the point where he started getting health issues so my (wild) guess is that was related. If the dude used to go out of his way to steal Red Bull fridges from skateparks, it's probably not too far off to imagine he used to be pretty braindead regarding self care, probably due to focusing on nothing but skateboarding.

Its anxiety.

Gentleman ninja warlock

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1347
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #144 on: January 06, 2020, 12:06:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Its anxiety.
He's said as much in the one interview I read back when he backtailed El Toro. Also said that's why he smokes so much weed if I remember correctly.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #145 on: January 06, 2020, 01:20:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Its anxiety.
[close]
He's said as much in the one interview I read back when he backtailed El Toro. Also said that's why he smokes so much weed if I remember correctly.
Thanks Silhouette! I remember skating in Bercy when I was really young and no internet or whatever in my house then getting amazed by that young (around my age) black guy that wasn't missing a single trick and skating reaaally wide boards for the time (I think he must have been riding 8.3 or something which at the start of 2000s was kinda big). Then I saw flip sorry and I realized who he was!
Can you share the article about Bulard you were supposed to publish?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #146 on: January 06, 2020, 03:41:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Its anxiety.
[close]

Now that you bring it up, I think there were interviews of the guy in French mags back in the 00's that kind of addressed that, or it might be that I used to skate his hometown an awful lot back when he was blowing up and it was a widespread fact known by the locals back when they all had his name on their lips, honestly can't remember. Basically, he was said to have a (now diagnosed? fuck if I know) mental condition of some kind, and had been using huge amounts of weed to self-medicate from an early age. I feel like mental health awareness is something that's quite recent in this country (at least outside of major poles like Paris) and a lot of people from even recent past generations just didn't have access to better means of relief; Rouen is a pretty big city but also in a section of the country that's pretty rural. Whatever works best for him, I hope he can find it.

Bastien's board sizes were something else back in the day, yeah. Actually it was one of the first things I remember bringing some awareness to the fact that pros actually skated wider boards than the models sold in skateshops (supposedly weaker, because narrower) a lot. At one point I think he was on 8'4's or 8'6''s back when everyone was still on 7'75''s, an article or two covering that came out and I remember a lot of people instantly experimenting with wider boards (at a time when 8' was called a 'vert board'). I also did it (never went back) and remember all my friends on 7'5' Monkey Stix's were legit scared for me.

Article I wrote was some rose-tinted shit for a mainstream publication, I can send it to you if you like but honestly even my dumb ramblings in here might be more interesting, that's saying.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 03:57:23 AM by silhouette »

LoudPack

• Rep: -20
  • front salad, back salad, front blunt
« Reply #147 on: January 06, 2020, 06:31:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yo silhouette what’s the deal with fridge and beer stealing? He got caught? What’s the story behind all that?

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #148 on: January 06, 2020, 06:44:17 AM »
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #149 on: January 06, 2020, 07:14:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

he was on an absolute tear. damn.

lol made those other guys look like chumps, absolutely shitting on their runs while they are skating thats amazing. i loved that other contest with the double flips that he tore up that 4 block and goes into the audience to hi 5 his cousin or w/e lmfao