Author Topic: Skatepark Anxiety  (Read 14027 times)

Nicki

Re: Skatepark Anxiety
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2020, 01:41:22 AM »
#noskateparks is the answer. Skate street.

Yep, easy fix. Don’t use a prefab training facility. It’s giving you anxiety because you know it’s wrong. Skating is about creativity and individualism. Skateparks are neither. Leave them for the IG millennials and street league/olympic wannabes.

Pho King Hung Lo Mein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -16
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2020, 02:32:48 AM »
Yeah, skating 1000's of square feet of terrain built specifically for skateboarding doesn't even make sense.  Not a single top tier professional has ever stepped foot into a skatepark, not even for a warm up before hitting the streets to film.  Just ask one and watch for the "deer in the headlights".

Just kidding Nicki.  A agree with most of what you said, when I grew up skating in the 80's we didn't even know that skateparks existed until getting ahold of our first Thrasher (back when they still had the pages that felt like newspaper), but even then, they weren't accessible to us.  Streets, ditches, and the few and far between, rich friend's Dad built a 6 foot high 4 foot wide quarter with PVC pipe coping.  I've always seen skateboarding as more performance art than sport.  Skaters as artists, not athletes.   I do disagree that there's anything wrong with skating parks, but agree that ANY trick done in the streets is WAY more magical than that same trick done at the park.  Over the years, I've seen MANY of the aforementioned shredding parks.  Street League or the Olympics is VERY unlikely to make it onto their agenda.

OP, parks are fine, but definitely be sure to balance it out in the streets.  And for the love of whatever you hold sacred, DON'T let us catch you filming IG clips or training for the Olympics, or we're coming after ya.
"Now go home and get your fucking Shinebox"

Nicki

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2020, 03:09:07 AM »
Yeah, skating 1000's of square feet of terrain built specifically for skateboarding doesn't even make sense.  Not a single top tier professional has ever stepped foot into a skatepark, not even for a warm up before hitting the streets to film.  Just ask one and watch for the "deer in the headlights".

Just kidding Nicki.  A agree with most of what you said, when I grew up skating in the 80's we didn't even know that skateparks existed until getting ahold of our first Thrasher (back when they still had the pages that felt like newspaper), but even then, they weren't accessible to us.  Streets, ditches, and the few and far between, rich friend's Dad built a 6 foot high 4 foot wide quarter with PVC pipe coping.  I've always seen skateboarding as more performance art than sport.  Skaters as artists, not athletes.   I do disagree that there's anything wrong with skating parks, but agree that ANY trick done in the streets is WAY more magical than that same trick done at the park.  Over the years, I've seen MANY of the aforementioned shredding parks.  Street League or the Olympics is VERY unlikely to make it onto their agenda.

OP, parks are fine, but definitely be sure to balance it out in the streets.  And for the love of whatever you hold sacred, DON'T let us catch you filming IG clips or training for the Olympics, or we're coming after ya.

All in good fun. But for me, as soon as something is “built specifically for skating” that’s counterintuitive to what skating means to me. It’s like surfers practicing in a wave pool. Skateparks are a trap to lure skaters off the streets - so smooth, perfect ‘obstacles’, and tranny so you don’t even have to learn how to push properly. It’s a nightmare. Skaters are learning circus tricks but forgetting how to skate street that doesn’t mimic the park. And the Olympics will try to turn skating into gymnastics. All built off purpose built skate training facilities. Fuck that. Count me out.

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/health-wellness/article/3009359/skateboarding-how-china-built-team-ahead-2020-summer

Do you think Ricky trained in the park for this? These tricks are so easy!! Why was he even Pro!!? Haha.

Snow in Florida

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2020, 03:17:56 AM »
Dude y'all are some fucking dorks lol

Literally no one cares if you're good at skating or not just pull up and have fun u fuckin weirdos

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2020, 04:13:50 AM »
I get this anxiety too. It’s actually the main reason I quit skating for 15 years.

I’m an introvert and generally feel like I don’t fit in with any group. I’m also not very good at skating at all. Never have been. This has and still does make me self conscious around other skaters I am not friends with.

Here in Finland you can’t skate outside like 6 months of the year so indoor parks are pretty much the only option. Sure some parking garages could work too but these days they’re a fucking bust or locked down. They also spread gravel everywhere to combat the slippery icy conditions. That shit gets in the parking garages too and skating smooth concrete with pebbles doesn’t really work.

Anyway since starting skating again some 5 years ago I decided that I’m not gonna let my self conscious introverted mind ruin skating for me again. So I went to the indoor park when it was the only option. Initially on slower days meant for newbs but eventually on normal days too. Massive mental struggle for me. In the end though being able to skate is more important to me. Initially when I get to the park it might be intimidating and feel like you’re just not gonna get any skating done. But I’ve pushed through this several times and once you get into the groove those feelings can go away. No one has ever kooked me and they are mostly friendly not snaking and giving me my go. That has helped me realize that what ever cases I’ve been building in my head are far exaggerated and that I don’t have to be good to have my place at the park sessioning whatever if I’m being as reasonable about turns and snaking etc. as everyone else. It’s no more their park than it is mine and at least here everyone seems to respect that.

So yeah. Just go and try to take it easy. Don’t give up too easily because it takes time to find your groove at the park session. Also if it’s an unfamiliar park try to go when it’s more quiet to get used to it. This way you can skate it better with more ppl around too.

It’s a struggle but worth struggling IMO. But once it’s dry outside and the gravel’s been swept away I’m going outside. Still might hit a park outdoors but usually when it’s not very busy but these days my session isn’t ruined if a bunch of good skaters I’m not friends with show up at the park.

theSketchLord

• Rep: 42
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2020, 04:27:48 AM »
I work 10pm until 6am so I can ride straight past my local park and get in at least 30 mins to an hour before anyone even notices.
Maybe look into going late at night when there's less people.

A while back I was obsessed with learning slappies and used to set an alarm for 10.30 at night so the local car park would be totally dead and I'd have the place to myself. If you can't stomach the park always be on the look out for a bit of street that would be completely deserted at night.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2020, 04:42:22 AM »
Give me a curb and a flat surface and no crowds and I’m happy forever

Escape Hell

• Rep: 26
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2020, 05:57:03 AM »
I got anxiety as well. Luckily there is a little Park 30 mins from me that no one fucks with where I can skate in peace at. Old shitty tennis court with some quarters a ledge, a bench and a parking block. Quiet and chill.

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2020, 06:15:08 AM »
Yee

Over skating for right now tbh

* landing simple stuff really helps out. Just own up to whatever you are and remember the 20+ unwritten rules

It'll work out eventually
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 06:23:49 AM by Skart »
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

chris

• Rep: -2
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2020, 02:13:05 PM »
Honestly get over it. Say hi, clap if ppl land shit, stay out of ppls ways, figure out turns when sharing obstacles. Ppl notice these things and it gets a lot less awkward when you make friends w all the strangers. Just keep in mind that (for the most part) however you're feeling everyone else is probably feeling the exact same or worse, be the guy to reach out and say whats up. Were all skaters dude, let's hang out too rather then skating silently near each other.

I know exactly how you feel but i figured this out a while ago and realized how easy is making friends. You're already skaters so you have a nice advantage to spark convos up.

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2020, 02:19:52 PM »
Whenever I go to my local skatepark (rain snow or extreme cold) I feel awful and can't get loose. I just tell myself 'it's this or nothing' and soldier on as another carload of people arrive every fifteen minutes. I feel like such a sucker paying for this unpleasant experience. The shop is cool the people are cool but the crowd drives me out of my skin. I feel like skating is open space and relaxation and freedom etc, but the parks are built for something else. I want to like the parks but have not yet figured out how in 20+years of skating.

Do any of you have any ideas of how to get over this?

the more you skate there, the more you'll get to know the locals and become more comfortable

If you're a bit older and are unsure and/or embarrassed of your abilities, just try to have fun with it.
As long as your not the little kid snaking everybody at a park, i'm sure nobody will bother you nor have a negative opinion

this is just my personal opinion, but as someone in my mid-twenties - seeing a someone who is 40+ at a park that is still able to do 5050 grinds and stuff is pretty awesome for me to see and makes me hope i can do that at the same age as well

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3401
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2020, 02:27:31 PM »

Literally no one cares if you're good at skating or not just pull up and have fun u fuckin weirdos

Damn never had anyone put it to me like that before. If only I'd know it's all so easy! Guess I can go home and pour my anxiety medications down the toilet and just pull up and have fun forevermore.

Tuff Lover

• Rep: 4
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2020, 02:45:31 PM »

Matt

• Rep: 28
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2020, 02:47:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I hate it too. I'm trans and don't like talking very much which makes it more uncomfortable. I've honestly just avoided indoor ones and layer up and go to the uncovered open ones at night if it's not raining etc. It's really stupid but it's fun to have a whole park to myself especially since i have trouble sleeping. My partner who also has mad anxiety likes to bomb parking garages when it's raining and it really is fun.
[close]

Stoked you're here theresnothinghere!
[close]
live love laugh

Tuff Lover

• Rep: 4
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2020, 02:49:39 PM »

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2020, 03:31:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I hate it too. I'm trans and don't like talking very much which makes it more uncomfortable. I've honestly just avoided indoor ones and layer up and go to the uncovered open ones at night if it's not raining etc. It's really stupid but it's fun to have a whole park to myself especially since i have trouble sleeping. My partner who also has mad anxiety likes to bomb parking garages when it's raining and it really is fun.
[close]

Stoked you're here theresnothinghere!
[close]
[close]
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2020, 03:37:43 PM »
Expand Quote
I remember being stoked at seeing another skater/skaters at the spot. Nowadays, people are incapable of communicating face to face with each other so they just put their headphones on and act bummed that other skaters exist. Times sure have changed.
[close]

I tried to say hey to someone at the park the other day and he just ignored me. He skated in the corner on the other side of the park as me with his headphones in. Like. Alright. Thanks for giving me the whole park.

„Skating with headphones means: yeah, i‘m skating... i‘m just not skating with YOU“
-Mike Carroll

Far from relevant

• Rep: -100
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2020, 03:41:17 PM »
Just skate and have fun, who cares what other people think.

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2020, 03:43:53 PM »
I tend to have a couple of "warm up beers" before I skate at a park. I usually only go if friends are meeting up there anyways, and people are generally pretty cool regardless. If I'm going solo, I like to skate street spots if they're not a bust at that time of the day.

Just a couple of things I've noticed/done to help. Just skate and have fun. Try not to think too much.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2020, 03:46:02 PM »
Maybe somewhat useful idea- find the other oddballs who are skating alone and look lost (like me) and say hi. I’m bad at approaching people but I’m stoked if someone wants to hang. Or not, some people really do want to be left alone.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3401
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2020, 04:30:56 PM »
I tend to have a couple of "warm up beers" before I skate at a park. I usually only go if friends are meeting up there anyways, and people are generally pretty cool regardless. If I'm going solo, I like to skate street spots if they're not a bust at that time of the day.

Just a couple of things I've noticed/done to help. Just skate and have fun. Try not to think too much.

I used to do this with GHB and it worked wonders. The problem was that sometimes I'd overdose a bit and start moaning and grabbing my crotch and that seemed to bum people out.

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 59
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2020, 04:32:38 PM »
No particular order but booze, bong loads, n beatin off works for me.

dooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2020, 04:33:32 PM »
It's like jail - just find the biggest, baddest motherfucker and challenge him to a thumb war. It's smooth sailing after that.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2020, 07:28:10 PM »
I grew up around Ventura and am 31. While 12 or 13 years old, I used to skate at a place called skate street (THPS 2 I think?).

Anyways, I had just watched Sorry and was really into the clips of tom penny in the warehouse in France. I am trying to learn basic transition shit and, out of nowhere, a very small and annoying Curren Caples does an early grab on the ski-jump, over my head, lands and clowns me in front of his tiny little fucking friends. That never left my memory and I almost refused to skate indoor parks after that.

Never, ever skate at a skatepark. Your anxiety is real. Everyone is watching you and judging how you Ollie. For the love of god, do NOT try to do any of the fun lines. Practice your flat ground in the corner, away from any living being. When asked how long you’ve been skating, immediately light up a cigarette and talk about how much weed you smoke.

do the opposite of this so they already expect the worse from you, and then slowly act like you give a shit. After thats all done go home with a smile knowing you broke a sweat.

But in all seriousness today was the first time in a while other kids came to my local and it reminded me how different tthings are these days. In Yaje's mission statement he talked about how kids dont even say whats up to anyone anymore, and thats honestly something I never noticed until now. People are weird

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

Coco Santiagos Kitten

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2020, 07:54:11 PM »
Go early. Spend a few minutes pumping around and getting comfortable. Get a couple tricks dialed in to get confident. Find some people skating the shit you like and get in there. Clap when people make shit. Eventually you'll start talking.

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 149
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2020, 08:26:39 PM »
I haven’t read this so it might have been said, but I think meeting people is helpful. High five somebody and they’ll be more understanding as to who you are, being forgiving when the board shoots out or a friend when you made progress no matter your skill level. Easier when the people are closer to the same age and ability but it helps when I don’t speak the same language. Have fun everyone.

Ass

• Rep: 0
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2020, 08:55:51 PM »
skate S T R E E T

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 190
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2020, 09:45:01 PM »
I wonder how many of you will get back in your car and go home if there are more than three people at the skatepark

I’ve definitely done this more than once....
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

rukes

• Rep: 221
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2020, 10:16:53 PM »
I set my phone to silent. Then go sit in a real busy spot and have a pretend phone conversation that goes a bit like this....

"Yeah dude, i'm meeting up with Nyjah later, Ty's takin us to this 20 stair, I got a few ideas, switch backside noseblunt, maybe some flip in flip out shit.....yeah i'm at the park now, just gonna have a real easy roll around before i go get buck later....Tonight? Me and the crew got a vip spot at the hottest club, gonna be throwin mad benjamins around..Anyway, got to go, i cant stay too long at the park, i got a mad nike box being delivered today...Peace bro"

And then i just lazily roll around
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

computerdate

• Rep: 18
  • I hope they keep down the price of gas
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2020, 01:36:26 AM »
 it’s hard to overcome anxiety at a crowded park if you have no friends there or you’re not extremely good at skateboarding. I always suggest bringing someone along but if that’s not an option just tough it out and keep going. Everything from the locals to the terrain itself will become more familiar and it’ll be less shitty each time. Keep to yourself but be friendly if the opportunity presents itself. Giving people props for landing tricks is a good way to break the ice. Skater kids can be belligerent pricks and there are often sketchy characters at parks so keep your guard up, but just hang around and eventually you’ll get to know the cool regulars and it won’t be so bad. You’ll actually enjoy skating with tons of people around. If you literally can’t function maybe parks aren’t for you, and that’s okay.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 01:38:52 AM by computerdate »