Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread  (Read 116587 times)

sans umbilical

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 24
Re: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread
« Reply #450 on: July 15, 2020, 04:07:26 PM »
I just got off the phone with Chris from South Central. We talk a couple of times a month because he does our boards. Anyways, apparently Zero, Primitive, Dogtown and I want to say one other company has reached out to him to make their boards. I know a lot of companies will use multiple wood shops. He didn't confirm or deny he was going to do it, just that he was already slammed as it is. Also, he's about to raise his price a dollar a board. He says Bareback is charging $20 a board, so $15.50 still sounds good.

I figured some of you might find this interesting.
Keep Shredding

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #451 on: July 15, 2020, 04:34:23 PM »
Expand Quote

I'm on a traffic from clutch right now. Gotta say it's not great. Was awesome the first 3 days, about 5 hours but now feels soggy, a lot of give and overall dead. Idk if anyone else has the same experience. Hopefully ToA will have generator wood soon. Going back to krooked until then.
[close]

I've some weird experiences with clutch where sometimes it feels pretty dead and others it feels great.  I hated the first one I had and was convinced clutch was just bad wood, then I set it up with theeves for a rain board and it suddenly felt great. Maybe try switching trucks or just being nice and telling it that it looks pretty and see if it cooperates again?

My overall impression of them is that they're very good but not quite on the level of BBS/PS/SC. I think it's very shape dependent though. The normal popsicles I've tried (K/P/G/S shapes) have been hit and miss and pretty meh, but the square one (O shape) has been awesome. I'm on my 3rd right now. It seems like they're really pumping out wood (or just had a lot of backstock inventory) right now so it wouldn't surprise me if the QC took a hit.

I believe I'm on a k8 and it's def meh. I'd still give them one more try but I'm definitely disappointed it was so good to start but got soggy and dead so quick. Wouldn't shock me if it had been sitting around awhile prior to the graphic going on.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Banned from the room

« Reply #452 on: July 15, 2020, 08:53:17 PM »

Just got this traffic. Has the K8 imprint between the front trucks so it's a clutch. Asked the ToA insta about it and was told they're still generator but with covid they had to switch for a couple runs to still have boards. Said to expect a generator restock in the next 10 days.

I'm on a one I ride the K shape almost all the time.

The k8 I'm on rn it's got a 14.25 WB.
It's Rick's graphic.
I like the cinder block lettering.

Tre flip machine
Got the venture 5.6 broken in 101a spits. I fucking put the green bushings in today and they are a challenge.

I like these boards because I can always get a K shape
I can find this exact board in like 5 brands that i don't mind giving them money.

I got a BBS 8.25 and a k shape 8.25 back to back to back...

They are pretty much the same exact board. The k shapes concave is always the same too. BBS is all over the place sometimes.

The boards are the same

Fucking Tre flip machine.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2002
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #453 on: July 15, 2020, 11:05:10 PM »
The Tactics Leisure League series is back in stock but the dimensions do not looks like they are from BBS.

https://www.tactics.com/tactics/leisure-league-series-skateboard-deck/ping-pong

I though their 8" would be 8 x 31.75 x 14.25 instead of 8 x 31.75 x 14.125, but that me obsession over 0.125 of an inch.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 821
« Reply #454 on: July 16, 2020, 04:24:26 PM »
Dimensions look like they're the same they've always been, so I'm not sure what leads you to believe they wouldn't be BBS this time. The dims on the 8.25 look pretty spot on for most of the non-dlx/bakerboys/polar BBS decks I've had. 

Not saying they are or aren't, just that I don't see anything there that looks different.

Junglist

« Reply #455 on: July 18, 2020, 05:07:13 PM »
Anybody have experience putting uncut blanks in a cnc machine to make custom shapes?

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1146
« Reply #456 on: July 18, 2020, 08:19:28 PM »
If you figure out, post pics of the process

Junglist

« Reply #457 on: July 18, 2020, 10:51:02 PM »
If you figure out, post pics of the process
for sure, my old man has a cnc and skatepaige sells good uncuts for $13 so I'll be figuring out soon. I can autocad some shapes and have the machine perfectly cut them out, or at least that's what I'm hoping for. Time will tell.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #458 on: July 19, 2020, 09:00:50 AM »
Why does Krooked number their boards with roman numerals?
Anyway... I skated a Krooked numbered IV (4), so the most mellow concave and kicks.
Loved it! Also, its like it lasted longer. Usually my DLX boards seem to fall apart around the pockets rather easly,- like chipping.

imposter

• Rep: -63
« Reply #459 on: July 19, 2020, 03:47:37 PM »
Anyway... I skated a Krooked numbered IV (4), so the most mellow concave and kicks.
Loved it! Also, its like it lasted longer. Usually my DLX boards seem to fall apart around the pockets rather easly,- like chipping.
All the deluxe Sports does.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
« Reply #460 on: July 20, 2020, 02:59:56 AM »
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but don't really wanna start a new one.

Wondering if any brand (preferably bbs) has a shape thats something like this:
8.25-8.38
14.25 wheelbase
32 length, could do a tad shorter
mellow nose and tail (in terms of steepness)
full, but not super square nose and tail.

The killing floor and Theories 8.25s are pretty close, but the nose and tail are a bit small for my feet, if they made those shapes as an 8.38 it would be great but their 8.38s are a bit longer.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #461 on: July 20, 2020, 05:56:21 AM »
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but don't really wanna start a new one.

Wondering if any brand (preferably bbs) has a shape thats something like this:
8.25-8.38
14.25 wheelbase

The killing floor and Theories 8.25s are pretty close, but the nose and tail are a bit small for my feet, if they made those shapes as an 8.38 it would be great but their 8.38s are a bit longer.

Yes the krooked MAnderson 8.38 shape is 32 with a 14.25 WB. Has nice full nose and tail. I rode a few in a row and really liked it.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #462 on: July 20, 2020, 09:08:45 AM »
8.25-8.38
14.25 wheelbase

Not BBS, but check out Powell shape 243.

14.25 wb
super mellow kicks (18 degrees)
full rounded nose/tail

danmasontree

• Rep: 16
« Reply #463 on: July 21, 2020, 07:54:46 PM »
Can anyone recommend mellow/flat decks? I know Toy/Foundation are normally pretty mellow. I heard Baker is? I’m skating a 8.38 blood wizard right now and it’s really mellow (not even sure what wood they use) Thanks for any help!

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 880
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #464 on: July 21, 2020, 08:04:55 PM »
Can anyone recommend mellow/flat decks? I know Toy/Foundation are normally pretty mellow. I heard Baker is? I’m skating a 8.38 blood wizard right now and it’s really mellow (not even sure what wood they use) Thanks for any help!
b16. so mellow i nearly focused it on many occasions
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #465 on: July 22, 2020, 07:12:27 PM »
Looks like Boulevard (Rob Gonzalez, Danny Monatoya) is relaunching their brand and boards with a fiberglass top:

https://www.instagram.com/blvdskateco/

Looks pretty similar to the ones Legend makes for the H-Street reissues:
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=109411.0
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1142
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #466 on: July 26, 2020, 07:55:23 PM »
Can anyone tell me the woodshop Create Skateboards gets their boards from?

It says 7-ply maple, made in the USA

Asking for a friend
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #467 on: July 26, 2020, 10:06:11 PM »
Expand Quote

Asking for a friend
[close]

As long as it's made in the USA it's a-okay. No China wood. Chinese wood doesn't look as good on my wall of collectibles. You know what I mean, right! Because I can tell you're also a collector who doesn't skate but loves skate memorabilia.

You got me down to a T, I'm a huge poser, don't tell anyone.

Anyone have a real answer?  Somebody mentioned Clutch in another thread, is that the likely source?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 03:04:05 AM by EdLawndale »

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #468 on: July 27, 2020, 06:39:49 AM »
Clutch is hecho en Mexico, so if its got that "made in USA" sticker its either not a Clutch or the brand is lying (which I wouldn't put past anyone these days)

Seanfku

• Rep: 1
« Reply #469 on: July 27, 2020, 03:46:12 PM »
Does anyone know who makes Val Surf's shop decks? I called but neither guy there knew where they were made.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #470 on: July 28, 2020, 02:28:28 PM »

Asking for a friend

Not sure if they use multiple woodshops but the ones with the paint brush dick are PS stix. They're also crazy short... like 8.25 x 31.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #471 on: July 30, 2020, 11:08:40 AM »
Expand Quote

Asking for a friend
[close]

Not sure if they use multiple woodshops but the ones with the paint brush dick are PS stix. They're also crazy short... like 8.25 x 31.

Thank you.

nazoo

« Reply #472 on: August 01, 2020, 07:01:27 AM »
We just got over 100 decks in at the shop and every Toy and Foundation board we got is pressed in China. Ewww. Tum Yeto switches up wood too much - if you're loyal to those brands it must be so frustrating to have to keep getting used to drastically different wood every couple years

I'm over in the UK and just started getting these Chinese decks through last month. They're terrible. The shapes and sizes are all over the shop. I've bought the same 7.875" deck three times now and it's had a different shape and size, the most recent being 8". Not just that, they split and snap really easily as well. I've been a loyal pawn for years but this is too much

As there any non-Yeto brands that have a similar shape to those decks? Mellow/flattish concave and go well with Thunders?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1602
« Reply #473 on: August 01, 2020, 07:40:40 AM »
Yeah, I'd proceed with caution on anything Toy Machine too....make sure it has a PS serial number or forget it.....

Id trust brands that regularly press in China ie Girl, SC, before this....

nazoo

« Reply #474 on: August 01, 2020, 07:54:16 AM »
any idea what wood is similar to old TM? gonna have to find a new brand to ride

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #475 on: August 02, 2020, 02:36:22 AM »

It's just the stack position, but it seems you already know that so are you asking why they use Roman numerals instead of regular numbers? I would guess just to differentiate themselves or something.

Clutch is hecho en Mexico, so if its got that "made in USA" sticker its either not a Clutch or the brand is lying (which I wouldn't put past anyone these days)

That's what I thought but thanks for clearing it up. They seem to be pretty discrete about where the boards are actually made, so I think a lot of shops/companies just genuinely don't realize it rather than actively trying to deceive people.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #476 on: August 02, 2020, 02:44:03 AM »
By the way if there's anyone who has been looking for a Pennswood deep dish specifically or just a deck with crazy steep kicks and deep concave, some of the latest batch of Scumco are deep dishes.

The graphics are just a random assortment of old ones so you'll have to actually go to a shop (or email them) to get one, but they're out there. I know OneUp and overcast have some and I'd assume all the other Pittsburgh area shops do as well. I saw 8, 8.25, and 8.5. I know they haven't made them for a long time (I think Ty Beall huge dump was the last one) so if youve been trying to find one for ages shoot me a PM and Ill try to help you get one.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1396
« Reply #477 on: August 02, 2020, 11:05:50 AM »
Expand Quote
We just got over 100 decks in at the shop and every Toy and Foundation board we got is pressed in China. Ewww. Tum Yeto switches up wood too much - if you're loyal to those brands it must be so frustrating to have to keep getting used to drastically different wood every couple years
[close]

I'm over in the UK and just started getting these Chinese decks through last month. They're terrible. The shapes and sizes are all over the shop. I've bought the same 7.875" deck three times now and it's had a different shape and size, the most recent being 8". Not just that, they split and snap really easily as well. I've been a loyal pawn for years but this is too much

As there any non-Yeto brands that have a similar shape to those decks? Mellow/flattish concave and go well with Thunders?

Of course I had to read this right after I bought a Foundation deck online. Goddamnit. I even checked this thread before I bought it and read that Foundation pro decks are PS, so I thought it was all good. Hopefully it's PS.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #478 on: August 02, 2020, 04:54:18 PM »
I noticed the Toy Machine stickers are said Made inChina...i was set on buying a Provost 8.38 on the weekend...until i saw that. I have nothing against is...I've just broken every chinese board I've ridden...got a Real instead

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #479 on: August 02, 2020, 06:39:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Of course I had to read this right after I bought a Foundation deck online. Goddamnit. I even checked this thread before I bought it and read that Foundation pro decks are PS, so I thought it was all good. Hopefully it's PS.

I'm sorry if I had any part in that bad decision; I thought their pro boards were still pressed in the US. Fingers crossed for you too. Adam.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m