Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread  (Read 114540 times)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Re: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread
« Reply #870 on: December 22, 2020, 05:51:53 PM »
New!

Pressed, shaped, and screen printed in Boston, MA by Robbie Gangemi

Width: 8.25"
Length: 31.5"
Wheelbase: 14"
Nose: 6-7/8"
Tail: 6-3/4"

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #871 on: December 22, 2020, 06:10:14 PM »
New!

Pressed, shaped, and screen printed in Boston, MA by Robbie Gangemi

Width: 8.25"
Length: 31.5"
Wheelbase: 14"
Nose: 6-7/8"
Tail: 6-3/4"

Perfect length, perfect wb, made in the USA. Ideal.

CaderSk8r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 19
« Reply #872 on: December 22, 2020, 07:17:53 PM »
Anyone know who makes a shape that's mellow, full like a quasi or FA, bbs, and a short wheel base? I like quasis proto shape but would prefer something that doesn't taper and is bbs.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #873 on: December 22, 2020, 07:57:00 PM »
Anyone know who makes a shape that's mellow, full like a quasi or FA, bbs, and a short wheel base? I like quasis proto shape but would prefer something that doesn't taper and is bbs.

FA’s boards are all between 14-14.25 from the quick look on their site and they are BBS now. I haven’t had one since they switched but the shapes look good from the quick peeks I’ve had of friends boards.

Also, what taper are you referring to on the quasi proto boards? I’ve had a few and they’re pretty damn square. The opposite of something like a baker which is super pointy/tapered.

CaderSk8r

« Reply #874 on: December 22, 2020, 08:34:46 PM »
Ive skated 3 FA/hockey decks and they all have been on the steeper side, I ment that quasi protos (and most ps 8.25s iirc) taper from 8.25 at the front truck holes down to 8 at the back holes, the nose and tail are perfect tho, just wished they stayed 8.25 throught the length of the deck. If FAs were just a little bit more mellow that would be the ideal deck for me.

ballintoohard

« Reply #875 on: December 22, 2020, 09:28:18 PM »
My FA feels more mellow than the old PS ones I had.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #876 on: December 23, 2020, 02:52:17 AM »

Real Full SE shapes maybe? Might be hit or miss finding a mellow one.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #877 on: December 23, 2020, 04:35:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Real Full SE shapes maybe? Might be hit or miss finding a mellow one.

Yes I would say the same, but I think most of the Real Full SE I have had are fairly mellow anyway, especially compared to a couple of FA / Hockey boards I have been able to stand on, maybe not quite as square in the ends, but a well balanced and solid deck of the few I have had.

The Jake Donnelly fingers deck is the 8.25 SE and in shops now, pic here:

https://www.realskateboards.com/img/2020/rs-2020-del-04-donnelly.jpg

Real full se shapes here:

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #878 on: December 23, 2020, 06:34:32 AM »
Ive skated 3 FA/hockey decks and they all have been on the steeper side, I ment that quasi protos (and most ps 8.25s iirc) taper from 8.25 at the front truck holes down to 8 at the back holes, the nose and tail are perfect tho, just wished they stayed 8.25 throught the length of the deck. If FAs were just a little bit more mellow that would be the ideal deck for me.

That’s strange, I skate 8.5 and didn’t see this on those. Like others said maybe the real full boards?

CaderSk8r

« Reply #879 on: December 23, 2020, 01:28:43 PM »
Thanks guys, I’ll check those out!

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2210
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #880 on: December 23, 2020, 01:49:37 PM »
Alltimers still/currently through BBS, as far as we know?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #881 on: December 23, 2020, 03:52:51 PM »

The last one I stood on recently definitely felt like it, but I am not in the US.

Glurmpz

« Reply #882 on: December 23, 2020, 04:47:24 PM »
Just checking in to report brand new board number 5 has bitten the dust a mere 40 minutes after setting it up. Broke the nose on a flatground 360 flip that I actually landed with my weight over the back, not the front, so it's extra weird. This one was Clutch manufactured.

I'm not putting a new board on again until at least March, fuck this nonsense. It's gotta be the cold. Used stack is my go-to until it's warm again.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #883 on: December 23, 2020, 07:17:24 PM »
Random color veneer: What are the chances of getting a hot pink bottom ply? I'd just rather not.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #884 on: December 23, 2020, 10:52:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The last one I stood on recently definitely felt like it, but I am not in the US.

Yes.....

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #885 on: December 23, 2020, 11:17:07 PM »
Random color veneer: What are the chances of getting a hot pink bottom ply? I'd just rather not.
My experience has been that you have an 80% chance of getting your least favourite veneer color.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #886 on: December 24, 2020, 06:34:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
My experience has been that you have an 80% chance of getting your least favourite veneer color.

Totally!  If they are a smaller shop, (or if you are lucky enough) message or call them and ask what colours they have in that board, but I know some places would be a bit busy or just not possible for someone to go through the boards checking what they have.

Some of the better shops actually list which colours there are, so you can choose, but again that is very time consuming to try to detail stock inventory like that.

I always liked the yellow and orange tops the most.  Just no red.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #887 on: December 24, 2020, 06:44:44 AM »
Yeah I thought about getting a Quasi proto or that Fitzgerald Hockey deck, and they both show hot pink as a possibility. Then I pictured myself leaving the house with my pink board like it’s some kind of statement and was like “nah”. Oddly enough, the top ply bothers me less because it tends to fade around the edges anyway.

ballintoohard

« Reply #888 on: December 24, 2020, 07:49:37 AM »
So in my madness I’ve realized that overall I seem to like my current FA and Passport, which are both BBS. The Quasi I have is ok, but the tail feels weird and overall I’m not as stoked on it. I compared all 3 decks and noticed the FA and Passport nose are almost an inch higher when the tail hits the ground. I think this matters much more than wheelbase for me and deck length is next.

So from what I read, BBS tends to have steeper nose and tails? Or is it unique to specific BBS brands?

Glurmpz

« Reply #889 on: December 24, 2020, 10:35:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Totally!  If they are a smaller shop, (or if you are lucky enough) message or call them and ask what colours they have in that board, but I know some places would be a bit busy or just not possible for someone to go through the boards checking what they have.

Don't do this.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #890 on: December 24, 2020, 01:41:35 PM »
So in my madness I’ve realized that overall I seem to like my current FA and Passport, which are both BBS. The Quasi I have is ok, but the tail feels weird and overall I’m not as stoked on it. I compared all 3 decks and noticed the FA and Passport nose are almost an inch higher when the tail hits the ground. I think this matters much more than wheelbase for me and deck length is next.

So from what I read, BBS tends to have steeper nose and tails? Or is it unique to specific BBS brands?

Noticed that FA/Hockey have much steeper kicks than the couple of AH eagles I have laying around. I always thought I hated steep boards but have been proven otherwise.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #891 on: December 24, 2020, 01:48:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Noticed that FA/Hockey have much steeper kicks than the couple of AH eagles I have laying around. I always thought I hated steep boards but have been proven otherwise.

I kinda hate the matching trucks to ‘kicks’....buuuut maybe the steep with the Aces is the way?

ballintoohard

« Reply #892 on: December 24, 2020, 04:50:37 PM »
Steep and short wheelbase=ghost pop city

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #893 on: December 24, 2020, 06:46:29 PM »
Someone watched one too many Ben Degros videos.....

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #894 on: December 24, 2020, 06:50:11 PM »

Yoooooo. Accurate.
I think there is something to what Degros says, but I’ve watched a fair amount of the videos, and I haven’t unlocked anything.
I’m glad he does what he do tho.

ballintoohard

« Reply #895 on: December 24, 2020, 09:15:26 PM »
Totally overthinking it so I don’t keep adding to the shelf of shit I haven’t really liked.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #896 on: December 24, 2020, 09:33:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Don't do this.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #897 on: December 24, 2020, 11:41:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yoooooo. Accurate.
I think there is something to what Degros says, but I’ve watched a fair amount of the videos, and I haven’t unlocked anything.
I’m glad he does what he do tho.

Yeah me too...he kicks around a bunch of ideas for sure and gets people thinking and talking.  Seriously though he can shred anything....I've seen it. 

ballintoohard

« Reply #898 on: December 25, 2020, 11:47:28 AM »
The annoying part is having some shit dialed on one setup, others on another, never finding the do all one. On my Passport/Indy pop is great, nollie stuff I good but manual stuff isn’t great and stability isn’t wonderful. FA/Venture it’s the opposite. Both decks are on their last legs so I’m trying to end up with one setup and I’ve had lots of scenarios where I set new setup up and just hate it.

Glurmpz

« Reply #899 on: December 25, 2020, 11:58:19 AM »
The annoying part is having some shit dialed on one setup, others on another, never finding the do all one. On my Passport/Indy pop is great, nollie stuff I good but manual stuff isn’t great and stability isn’t wonderful. FA/Venture it’s the opposite. Both decks are on their last legs so I’m trying to end up with one setup and I’ve had lots of scenarios where I set new setup up and just hate it.

If you're gonna experiment with different product that's just part of the deal. It's why I do whatever I can to always skate the exact same shape - you don't have to get used to a new board or figure things out. I've had trouble finding my usual shape during covid and it's 100% had an effect on my skating. Flatground is all over the place, and it's part of why I'm breaking so many boards because I'm not used to the shapes and landing awkward.