Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread  (Read 116047 times)

vicious cycle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 166
Re: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread
« Reply #900 on: December 25, 2020, 12:00:00 PM »
Just checking in to report brand new board number 5 has bitten the dust a mere 40 minutes after setting it up. Broke the nose on a flatground 360 flip that I actually landed with my weight over the back, not the front, so it's extra weird. This one was Clutch manufactured.

I'm not putting a new board on again until at least March, fuck this nonsense. It's gotta be the cold. Used stack is my go-to until it's warm again.

Hi there.
I broke arround 8 boards in a row this season.
All on tail, directly on inner bolts, doing flatground Kick, Heel and 360 Flips.
It made me go nuts to the point i stoped skating for a while. The Boards we're made by BBS.
3 Real, 1 Deathwish, 2  Krooked and 2 Magenta.
The last one was a fresh Magenta 8.125. It took me 2 Sessions to break it.
I'm 76 kg btw.
I started to not thighten the inner bolts that much. I let them stand out a bit. After that i had 4 boards and they are still intact. Skated all of them till the "end"
But on Nr.5, a Real 8.06, i broke the nose on an Varial Heel on flat. And Nr.6, a Polar 8.125, i broke the nose on a Nollie BS shuvit. So i started to do the same with the inner bolts at the nose.
Riding a Real Donnelly 8.25 at the moment. 6 winter sessions in so far, looks good.
Maybe i stomp my Boards to much..
Sry for bad english, i'm German..
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1050
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #901 on: December 25, 2020, 03:49:00 PM »
Expand Quote

Don't do this.
[close]

Spoil my fun!

But really, I have my own shop and yes it would be very annoying to have calls like this all day every day.

Christmas time especially!!!!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #902 on: December 25, 2020, 03:58:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Just checking in to report brand new board number 5 has bitten the dust a mere 40 minutes after setting it up. Broke the nose on a flatground 360 flip that I actually landed with my weight over the back, not the front, so it's extra weird. This one was Clutch manufactured.

I'm not putting a new board on again until at least March, fuck this nonsense. It's gotta be the cold. Used stack is my go-to until it's warm again.
[close]

Hi there.
All on tail, directly on inner bolts, doing flatground Kick, Heel and 360 Flips.
It made me go nuts to the point i stoped skating for a while. The Boards we're made by BBS.
I'm 76 kg btw.
I started to not thighten the inner bolts that much. I let them stand out a bit. After that i had 4 boards and they are still intact. Skated all of them till the "end"
But on Nr.5, a Real 8.06, i broke the nose on an Varial Heel on flat. And Nr.6, a Polar 8.125, i broke the nose on a Nollie BS shuvit. So i started to do the same with the inner bolts at the nose.
Riding a Real Donnelly 8.25 at the moment. 6 winter sessions in so far, looks good.

That is a good solution. 

Soft thin risers also helped with reducing board breakage a lot, but most people don't want to use them.

One other factor in breaking boards over the bolts (nose or tail) is the pressure the trucks put on the deck right at the flex point, especially when the trucks have a sharp edge which cuts into the wood and creates a weakness in the board.  I had helped with other's setups who always break boards over the bolts by grinding down the edge, which worked really well for a couple of guys I skate with, so made a post about it.  It may or may not help with that too.

ballintoohard

« Reply #903 on: December 25, 2020, 07:08:28 PM »
Expand Quote
The annoying part is having some shit dialed on one setup, others on another, never finding the do all one. On my Passport/Indy pop is great, nollie stuff I good but manual stuff isn’t great and stability isn’t wonderful. FA/Venture it’s the opposite. Both decks are on their last legs so I’m trying to end up with one setup and I’ve had lots of scenarios where I set new setup up and just hate it.
[close]

If you're gonna experiment with different product that's just part of the deal. It's why I do whatever I can to always skate the exact same shape - you don't have to get used to a new board or figure things out. I've had trouble finding my usual shape during covid and it's 100% had an effect on my skating. Flatground is all over the place, and it's part of why I'm breaking so many boards because I'm not used to the shapes and landing awkward.

Yah before this I was on the same deck for 4 decks in a row, but the shop isn't getting any right now. Goal is to stick with a specific setup as I had in the past.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 824
« Reply #904 on: December 25, 2020, 07:59:29 PM »
Ive skated 3 FA/hockey decks and they all have been on the steeper side, I ment that quasi protos (and most ps 8.25s iirc) taper from 8.25 at the front truck holes down to 8 at the back holes, the nose and tail are perfect tho, just wished they stayed 8.25 throught the length of the deck. If FAs were just a little bit more mellow that would be the ideal deck for me.

Quasi proto 8.25 has a very, very slight taper, around 1/8", so if you have one thats actually 8.25" (the flatter ones from the bottom of the stack tend to be more like 8.3 or so) it's actually 8.12" at the back trucks, not 8" It's definitely what I'd consider a "full" shape in the sense that most shapes will taper more than a proto.

That being said, if you like flatter boards and mellow tails maybe check out some PGI decks. I don't have my blood wizard 8.25 here beside me to check how much taper it is has but I just measured a skate mental (which is a slightly different shape) and its just a cunthair under 8.25 at the back trucks, then has a nice long FOF area and tapers to around 8 where the tail starts to turn up. I'll try to remember to check the blood wizard when I go downstairs in the morning, but the main differences between it and the skate mental that I can recall is that the BW has a bigger nose (slightly over 7" iirc which is pretty big for a 31.6" deck) and shorter tail whereas the SM has almost the same size kicks on both ends. PGI wood is pretty good and stiff too, a lot of people mistake it for BBS since it sometimes has the alignment divot in the same place and feels pretty similar. PGI decks aren't very square though, its definitely more of a classic rounded popsicle shape.

I kind of hate recommending this one because the company is fairly kooky, but if you're into square kicks there's a madness shape that I've been skating which I really like. It's 8.37 in the middle with a slight taper to 8.25 at the trucks on both ends, 31.5" length and 14.2" wb. Kicks aren't as big as a quasi or FA (6.7 or so up front and and a little over 6.5 tail) and its more of a medium tail but I'm ashamed to say I've been really liking how it skates. 

Also, my new proto kind of sucks. It's thicker than most PS decks and doesn't have that light and crispy pop that fresh PS decks usually do. It's not necessarily what I'd call "soggy" but it's definitely more of a dull thump than a bright sounding crack like usual. At first I thought maybe it was the weather or something but I left it and my previous 8.25 quasi out in the basement overnight and sure enough the old one feels much lighter and snappier. Dunno if its a bad run or I just got a dud or what, but I was stoked to finally have a red proto and now I'm bummed that it doesnt feel right. Such a great shape though.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Random color veneer: What are the chances of getting a hot pink bottom ply? I'd just rather not.
[close]
My experience has been that you have an 80% chance of getting your least favourite veneer color.
[close]

Totally!  If they are a smaller shop, (or if you are lucky enough) message or call them and ask what colours they have in that board, but I know some places would be a bit busy or just not possible for someone to go through the boards checking what they have.

[close]

Don't do this.

It's fine. Most smaller shops don't care and understand that you might not want a particular color. Pretty much all skaters have preferences or are just straight up superstitious, including shop owners, so I've never felt weird about asking and I don't know a single shop owner that would be bothered by glancing over the shoulder at the wall and saying "we have red, blue, and yellow" in order to sell a deck. Its no different than calling and asking if they have a particular size. If you don't want to answer simple questions about the products you sell then you probably shouldn't be running a shop.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #905 on: December 25, 2020, 11:57:55 PM »
I'm gonna call a shop and ask if they'll stand on the deck for me and describe the feel to me over the phone....

vicious cycle

« Reply #906 on: December 26, 2020, 12:55:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Hi there.
I'm 76 kg btw.
[close]

That is a good solution. 

Soft thin risers also helped with reducing board breakage a lot, but most people don't want to use them.

One other factor in breaking boards over the bolts (nose or tail) is the pressure the trucks put on the deck right at the flex point, especially when the trucks have a sharp edge which cuts into the wood and creates a weakness in the board.  I had helped with other's setups who always break boards over the bolts by grinding down the edge, which worked really well for a couple of guys I skate with, so made a post about it.  It may or may not help with that too.

I ride the Indi forged baseplates . Do think thats a factor ?
Thanks for the Info, gonna try that too.
I can't remeber breaking Boards that much with my Thunders on a standart baseblate so.. could ne an solution .

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #907 on: December 26, 2020, 02:19:24 AM »
I'm gonna call a shop and ask if they'll stand on the deck for me and describe the feel to me over the phone....

I know you're joking but to be honest most of the shop owners I know would probably try to do that if you asked them to. Even so, its not like asking the stain color is some in depth question where they have to go pull the board off the wall and measure it with calipers and then calculate the center of mass or something. Its literally just moving your eyes to the wall and saying what you see.

Measured the Blood Wizard - its just over 8.25 in the middle (8 5/16" so i guess 8.31) and front truck holes and 8.25 exactly at the back, so a very subtle taper. Tail is like 6.6 and the nose is 7.1. Nice full popsicle shape and flat with a really mellow tail. Definitely a good one to check out if like mellower boards but still want a bigger nose.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 02:47:16 AM by Buttfart Rapedick »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #908 on: December 26, 2020, 05:56:34 AM »

I can't remeber breaking Boards that much with my Thunders on a standart baseblate so.. could ne an solution .

One way to see fairly easily, if you can always check when you take the trucks off the board, see if there are pressure marks or cuts in the board where the trucks are, or how deep the truck imprint is on the wood.  That is assuming you have broken the board in one place and not focused it five different ways, so at least you can check the truck imprint where the board broke and the other end too.

I know I already said but something like super thin rubber squares under the trucks definitely help, eg a bike tube.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #909 on: December 26, 2020, 06:17:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I know you're joking but to be honest most of the shop owners I know would probably try to do that if you asked them to. Even so, its not like asking the stain color is some in depth question where they have to go pull the board off the wall and measure it with calipers and then calculate the center of mass or something. Its literally just moving your eyes to the wall and saying what you see.

I can see this going so many different ways, but the old "What if..." and random info requests are all in a days work.  This is why I do like to stand on pretty much every board that comes through my shop, because I can definitely recommend boards based on what someone has had before or what they like in a basic description.

It does make it harder for you guys in the USA, because I can still lay out half a dozen boards here for people to stand on in the shop without issues, giving anyone a pretty easy feel for at least three, but sometimes up to five different woodshops in their preferred width and go from there.  The other side of it is that a lot of people just don't know what they are riding or how much a board shape or concave will affect their skating, and still pick primarily based on graphic or brand, even if they have never had one of that brand or wood before.

As much as I am a smart ass or say whatever to people I know or on here, when it comes to someone looking for anything to do with skateboards, I will ask questions and make recommendations based on that information, without being biased or trying to upsell anything.  That is the customer relations and 20+ years of retail coming out, so can always keep it cool and not be a dick about it, no matter how frustrating the customer can be (for almost everyone that is).

It helps that I know what I have in the way of stock too, but for a bigger place or even in other places I have been, there are still so many guys behind the counter who don't have a clue about half the stuff they are selling, which makes it pretty funny when they are trying to tell people about it.  Either way, the customer always has a choice in where they want to buy from and I am not worried if the painful customers go elsewhere, because I do have enough rad dudes who I am happy to help and don't rely on the shop alone for income.

vicious cycle

« Reply #910 on: December 26, 2020, 06:33:01 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

One way to see fairly easily, if you can always check when you take the trucks off the board, see if there are pressure marks or cuts in the board where the trucks are, or how deep the truck imprint is on the wood.  That is assuming you have broken the board in one place and not focused it five different ways, so at least you can check the truck imprint where the board broke and the other end too.

I know I already said but something like super thin rubber squares under the trucks definitely help, eg a bike tube.
Yeah, i checked it already. And you are right. They all broke on the same exact spot. Directly on that edge of the plate. Pretty deep imprint also. I already worked on them with a file. If this works you are the man !
Also gonna try the Bike Tube. Thanks alot Mate .
Btw, they all look like this.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 08:25:13 AM by vicious cycle »

ballintoohard

« Reply #911 on: December 26, 2020, 08:13:36 AM »
Another thing you could do is tighten the bolts most of the way, ride it a bit, then gradually tighten. I do wonder if you’re tightening them too much. I used to get pressure cracks with Thunders doing that.

vicious cycle

« Reply #912 on: December 26, 2020, 08:27:51 AM »
Another thing you could do is tighten the bolts most of the way, ride it a bit, then gradually tighten. I do wonder if you’re tightening them too much. I used to get pressure cracks with Thunders doing that.
Could be the case, gonna try this on the next Board too.
Thanks Mate !

Glurmpz

« Reply #913 on: December 26, 2020, 11:49:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You must know some really nice shop owners, which is cool. Good to hear.

But - people who ask about stains are almost exclusively asking about the TOP stain, which you can't see without taking the boards off the wall. Our phone is behind the counter. If someone asks what color a top stain is I have to go around the counter and over to the board wall/multiple boxes of boards and find the board they're asking about (they usually want you to find all of that board and tell them all the stain colors, ugh). I do it, but it's annoying as hell. I've never bought skate stuff online so I'm more of the opinion if you're that picky you should go into the shop in person.

Kneesles

• Rep: 10
« Reply #914 on: December 26, 2020, 04:34:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Hi there.
I'm 76 kg btw.
[close]

That is a good solution. 

Excellent tip! I used to break a lot of boards years ago and started sanding the inside edge off the base plates of my trucks. It really did make a difference. I used a hand file and gave it a nice mellow slope starting just past the mounting holes that got steeper the closer i got to the end until it was about a 35 deg angle. I also did the front corners a bit and blended it into the front curve. I think there was a version of krux that had the baseplates like that from the factory years ago and remember thinking it was about time a truck company did it.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 04:49:41 PM by Kneesles »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #915 on: December 26, 2020, 06:15:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Thanks Mate !

This helps also with the horrific grip twist....

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #916 on: December 26, 2020, 07:54:30 PM »
It bums me out that anyone would be chided for asking about stain color.  Answering that question is like... exactly what an employee is there to do. That annoying customer that makes you walk around a counter wants to give money to a small business (one that is considered a cornerstone of our skate communities,) if you work in a shop you should be enthusiastically falling over backwards to help. 

It wouldn’t rub me the wrong way if we weren’t also always talking about locals struggling.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 08:17:57 PM by chris. »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #917 on: December 26, 2020, 10:46:38 PM »
It's slap...we come here to be offended....

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #918 on: December 27, 2020, 02:23:27 AM »

I haven't been this offended since the last time I tried to skate a control board. I've taken dumps that sounded better hitting the ground.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #919 on: December 27, 2020, 02:24:40 AM »

Is it about a 50/50 mix of info and help / shit talking and fun?  I know it was more like 10/90 when I was on the first time oh so many years ago now, but maybe everyone has chilled and the others got banned?

Grip tip: I keep the allen key or phillips head still and only tighten from the truck / nut side and you will never have grip twist.  I also use the phillips head screwdriver like a router on the deck after I gripped it, doing each deck bolt hole so it clears out the mess first, then put the deck bolts in and trucks on.  I also use the skate tool to press down the grip around each deck bolt after I put them in, so it always sits well and never has issues with grip bunching up or pulling.

Not really the right info for the woodshop thread, but I do talk too much!

vicious cycle

« Reply #920 on: December 27, 2020, 07:01:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Thanks Mate !
[close]

I cut out the holes with my cutterknife so no twisting at all ;)

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2275
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #921 on: December 27, 2020, 01:24:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Thanks Mate !
[close]

[close]
I cut out the holes with my cutterknife so no twisting at all ;)
‘Nother way to avoid it is to turn the nut & keep the screw/Allen driver stationary. All the twisting happens at the other end of the bolt, by the base plate, leaving the bolt head with nothing more to do than sink in, and as a result, your grip ends up twist free. Added bonus is not having to bust out blade to mount your trucks.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Kneesles

• Rep: 10
« Reply #922 on: December 27, 2020, 01:56:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Is it about a 50/50 mix of info and help / shit talking and fun?  I know it was more like 10/90 when I was on the first time oh so many years ago now, but maybe everyone has chilled and the others got banned?

Grip tip: I keep the allen key or phillips head still and only tighten from the truck / nut side and you will never have grip twist.  I also use the phillips head screwdriver like a router on the deck after I gripped it, doing each deck bolt hole so it clears out the mess first, then put the deck bolts in and trucks on.  I also use the skate tool to press down the grip around each deck bolt after I put them in, so it always sits well and never has issues with grip bunching up or pulling.

Not really the right info for the woodshop thread, but I do talk too much!

I like the way you think.
The phillips counter sinking the grip trick is the only way. Don't waist time and risk cutting yourself using a blade.

Boog

• Rep: 202
« Reply #923 on: December 27, 2020, 03:16:19 PM »
The annoying part is having some shit dialed on one setup, others on another, never finding the do all one. On my Passport/Indy pop is great, nollie stuff I good but manual stuff isn’t great and stability isn’t wonderful. FA/Venture it’s the opposite. Both decks are on their last legs so I’m trying to end up with one setup and I’ve had lots of scenarios where I set new setup up and just hate it.
What size board do you ride?

ballintoohard

« Reply #924 on: December 27, 2020, 04:09:34 PM »
FA: 8.25x31.85, 14.125 WB, Venture 5.6 cast. Only bad aspect is lack of switch pop (steep nose, small and mellow tail feels weird popping off the nose).
Pass~Port: 8.25x31.9, 14.25 WB, Indy Forged Hollow 149 (manuals are worse, best pop, don't really like 149s, flip tricks less consistent).
Quasi 8.25x32, 14.25 WB, Indy Forged Hollow 139 (never felt quite right on this deck, sorta unbalanced and unstable)
Polar 8.38x32, 14.38 WB, Thunder Team plates, Thunder 148 Ti Hangers (great, but less pop overall)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #925 on: December 27, 2020, 04:40:05 PM »
FA: 8.25x31.85, 14.125 WB, Venture 5.6 cast. Only bad aspect is lack of switch pop (steep nose, small and mellow tail feels weird popping off the nose).
Pass~Port: 8.25x31.9, 14.25 WB, Indy Forged Hollow 149 (manuals are worse, best pop, don't really like 149s, flip tricks less consistent).
Quasi 8.25x32, 14.25 WB, Indy Forged Hollow 139 (never felt quite right on this deck, sorta unbalanced and unstable)
Polar 8.38x32, 14.38 WB, Thunder Team plates, Thunder 148 Ti Hangers (great, but less pop overall)

The Indy 149s would work better on the 8.38 and the Thunder 148 on the 8.25 size decks, purely for dimensions / size ratios, but that is just me.  The 139s always felt too small on 8.25 decks as well, but if you put three washers on the inside (if they fit), it might make it not quite so unbalanced.

At least with a few options you can mix and match and see what works if you have the interest or time to do it, but it is all down to personal preference as to what you ride.

I would be thinking unless the FA is a much older board (which would be PS Stix) you would have three BBS - FA, Passport and Polar, then one PS Stix in the Quasi.  How you describe the FA is how I found PS Stix to be with small tails which is why I changed over to BBS and never looked back.  Different board brands have different dimensions though, eg Baker are BBS but most of their tails are too short for my liking.

ballintoohard

« Reply #926 on: December 27, 2020, 08:50:23 PM »
Thanks! I couldn't figure out what woodshop the FA is- it has the embossed name on the top ply and no PS serial numbers. It feels a tad steeper than the Quasi, but with a shorter wheelbase.

I'm going to stick with the Pass~port/149s. Skated it today and then the FA, which are my top 2 and it's just more natural and comfortable. 149s are a bit wide, but don't feel hot rod. Any recs on similar shapes would be appreciated, especially comparison to Isle, Hopps, and Sour
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 10:39:23 AM by ballintoohard »

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #927 on: December 28, 2020, 08:46:17 PM »
Anyone got any info on shapes/woodshop of Illegal Civ boards? What about those new Sci-Fi Fantasy boards as well?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #928 on: December 28, 2020, 11:11:54 PM »
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say BBS/Genarator......

Yossi

• Rep: 20
« Reply #929 on: December 31, 2020, 08:30:33 AM »

Have a shop deck with this sticker and a small V imprinted next to it. Anyone know which woodshop this is? Thanks