Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread  (Read 113657 times)

Esmith5488

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
Re: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2020, 04:48:50 PM »
Anyone know who’s doing business and company?

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2020, 04:53:10 PM »
Transportation Unit is PS Stix

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2020, 04:57:42 PM »
Anyone know who’s doing business and company?
99% sure is PS
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2020, 05:10:28 PM »
Thanks, I have been thinking about grabbing one. I didn’t see the normal ps etching so I wasn’t sure

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2020, 07:00:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So who makes the main Deluxe boards?  Chop Chop looks to be their completes
[close]

Deluxe uses BBS/Generator in Mexico. If you have a board that says "made in Mexico" it's probably either BBS or PS. Blackbox used to have a shop there too, but its been gone a while. If you look at the first post in this thread you can see a list of who uses what woodshop.
[close]
Does Clutch/ASF do a made in Mexico sticker?
What happened to lamie's woodshop? Did it become Clutch?
Who bought Taylor-Dykeman's(sp?) stuff?
Anyone wanna go into the difference between BBS and Generator? Pretty sure they're 2 different companies. GSD owns Generator and they started out as a silk-screen shop?

My buddy who does a local brand in Charlotte NC does his boards through clutch now and I don’t remember it having a made in Mexico sticker or anything. I love the board believe it’s the 09 shape square nose/tail short wheelbase. Really enjoying it.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2020, 07:56:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So who makes the main Deluxe boards?  Chop Chop looks to be their completes
[close]

Deluxe uses BBS/Generator in Mexico. If you have a board that says "made in Mexico" it's probably either BBS or PS. Blackbox used to have a shop there too, but its been gone a while. If you look at the first post in this thread you can see a list of who uses what woodshop.
[close]
Does Clutch/ASF do a made in Mexico sticker?
What happened to lamie's woodshop? Did it become Clutch?
Who bought Taylor-Dykeman's(sp?) stuff?
Anyone wanna go into the difference between BBS and Generator? Pretty sure they're 2 different companies. GSD owns Generator and they started out as a silk-screen shop?
[close]

My buddy who does a local brand in Charlotte NC does his boards through clutch now and I don’t remember it having a made in Mexico sticker or anything. I love the board believe it’s the 09 shape square nose/tail short wheelbase. Really enjoying it.

I love Clutch wood. Only had a handful as they’re hard to find in Aus but Hotel Blue must use that same shape. Their 8.5 is perfect, square as fuck and 14.25 wb. Nice, thin and snappy

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2020, 08:30:25 PM »
Thanks, I have been thinking about grabbing one. I didn’t see the normal ps etching so I wasn’t sure

I'm pretty sure its bbs actually unless he's changed recently.

http://hardtimesskateshop.com/product/business-and-company-debbie-deck/

https://skateparkoftampa.com/spot/productcolorwayimages/21938.jpg

both pics have the bbs warning sticker

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2020, 02:50:07 AM »
Watson do a lot more than is listed: Alva, Dogtown, Santa Monica Airlines, Toy Machine (reissue), H-Street, Black Label, G&S, Neil Blender's Heated Wheel etc - https://www.instagram.com/watsonlaminates/

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2020, 05:51:06 AM »
Watson do a lot more than is listed: Alva, Dogtown, Santa Monica Airlines, Toy Machine (reissue), H-Street, Black Label, G&S, Neil Blender's Heated Wheel etc - https://www.instagram.com/watsonlaminates/

Yeah all the Blender decks are Watson.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2020, 05:31:13 PM »

Watson does a lot of small run limited edition and old school type decks, besides that Templeton reissue I've seen Hitz Creature and Foundation boards (Markovich 30 year) pop up on there in the past, but they're really hard to find and the runs are so small and infrequent I'm not sure its really even worth putting them on the list.

I just ordered a Blockhead Hard Times 4 modern today. Pretty psyched about it.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2020, 04:29:55 AM »
Just noticed something else... Coda isn't Pennswood. The one that I got was Chapman, and I remember seeing on their website somewhere that they use Chapman as well. Really liked that board too, the wood is poppy and stiff and has one of the nicer feeling medium concaves I've tried in a while. It kind of reminded me of a harder version of South Central.

Does anyone know who does Maxallure or Highwater? Been seeing a lot of them pop up in my local shop recently..

Also now that I think about it, who does Consolidated?

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2020, 10:58:18 PM »
I think Maxallure is BBS/Generator. I might have seen boards on Generator's insta if someone wants to double check.

What's Watson wood like now? The late-90's stuff sucked sucked sucked

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2020, 04:57:59 AM »
I think Maxallure is BBS/Generator. I might have seen boards on Generator's insta if someone wants to double check.

I didn't see a bbs sticker on the Maxallure decks at my local but they don't always do them, so I guess that could be the case. The last two times I've gone the owner hasn't been there but I'll try to remember to ask next time I see him.

The Watson wood seems pretty good. I haven't had a chance to really skate it yet but just rolling around and doing the post setup ollies and whatnot it had good pop and was quite light but still felt solid. Its a shaped deck with a 14.5" wb so it's never going to be my go-to daily driver deck but I actually really like the shape. Its a 31.7" and the kicks are mellower than the other shaped deck I have (a Pennswood with one of the craziest graphics I've ever seen) so I think it'll fit nto the "i want to skate something different today" part of my quiver nicely. If it sogs out really fast or breaks or something I'll update this, but so far so good with my first Watson deck.

satan

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2020, 05:34:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I didn't see a bbs sticker on the Maxallure decks at my local but they don't always do them, so I guess that could be the case. The last two times I've gone the owner hasn't been there but I'll try to remember to ask next time I see him.

The Watson wood seems pretty good. I haven't had a chance to really skate it yet but just rolling around and doing the post setup ollies and whatnot it had good pop and was quite light but still felt solid. Its a shaped deck with a 14.5" wb so it's never going to be my go-to daily driver deck but I actually really like the shape. Its a 31.7" and the kicks are mellower than the other shaped deck I have (a Pennswood with one of the craziest graphics I've ever seen) so I think it'll fit nto the "i want to skate something different today" part of my quiver nicely. If it sogs out really fast or breaks or something I'll update this, but so far so good with my first Watson deck.
I tried insta stalking but couldn't find the pic I was thinking of. I'm hoping my memory didn't glitch..

Old Watson stuff seemed really dry and brittle to me. I'm not really a board breaker but I snapped a bunch of tails of back then.

saltusnaut

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2020, 06:01:08 AM »
Hows the concave and nose/tail steepness/length on Snack skateboards 8.38? Anyone know?

dave

• Rep: 0
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2020, 03:42:13 PM »
gx1000 is ps as well, picked up one of theirs recently

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2020, 03:46:57 PM »
gx1000 is ps as well, picked up one of theirs recently

Same shapes as Quasi boards as well, in case anyone was wondering.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2020, 09:23:07 PM »
Who makes Stereo?

I know stereo reissue is on the list, but normal run ones? Also whats watson like?

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2020, 07:50:53 AM »
Hows the concave and nose/tail steepness/length on Snack skateboards 8.38? Anyone know?

I haven't seen an 8.38 in person but all the Snack decks I looked at seem to just use the same or similar molds to other recent PS decks (WKND/Scumco) so the concave was a little mellower than most standard BBS/dwindle and the kicks were wide with a big ole ski ramp nose and mellower tail. Premier sells snack stuff and they're really good about taking pictures that give you a good idea of the shape of the board

https://thepremierstore.com/collections/snack

They're a good shop to order from too if you can't find what you want locally, they stock a lot of cool brands. I bought a couple decks there and they shipped really fast and threw in a bunch of stickers. Really good shoe selection too.

saltusnaut

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2020, 08:08:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I haven't seen an 8.38 in person but all the Snack decks I looked at seem to just use the same or similar molds to other recent PS decks (WKND/Scumco) so the concave was a little mellower than most standard BBS/dwindle and the kicks were wide with a big ole ski ramp nose and mellower tail. Premier sells snack stuff and they're really good about taking pictures that give you a good idea of the shape of the board

https://thepremierstore.com/collections/snack

They're a good shop to order from too if you can't find what you want locally, they stock a lot of cool brands. I bought a couple decks there and they shipped really fast and threw in a bunch of stickers. Really good shoe selection too.

Thats not what i wanted to hear. Im looking for something with a not so mellow tail. The nose sounds like its exactly what I want tho. Sucks to not have a local shop to buy decks from.

Violator

• Rep: 73
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2020, 08:25:46 AM »
Who makes Stereo?

I know stereo reissue is on the list, but normal run ones? Also whats watson like?

Last time I heard, Stereo was using Prime wood.  Don't know much about Watson, I skated the Templeton Insecurity reissue for a bit but it was too flat for my liking so I hung it up on my wall instead.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2020, 08:51:14 AM »
Does anyone know more about gnosis? New shop out of the uk, pressing blast and some other small brands
https://www.gnosismfg.com/

PMA

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2020, 08:53:40 AM »

Thats not what i wanted to hear. Im looking for something with a not so mellow tail. The nose sounds like its exactly what I want tho. Sucks to not have a local shop to buy decks from.

These ones look like the tail is pretty similar to the nose, but that nose might be a little mellower than what you want. Unfortunately for you the "trendy" thing right now is steep nose and mellow tail.

https://thepremierstore.com/products/porter-kool-breeze-deck

https://thepremierstore.com/products/seein-the-sights-deck-yellow-black

It does suck not being able to hold a deck in person and look at it from different angles etc. One thing I noticed when I got a bunch of the new ScumCo decks was that there's more variance in how steep and deep a board is based on where it is in the stack than I thought there'd be.

https://i.imgur.com/zRWHjX7.jpg

Same deck, same mold, same size but you can see that the board with the green ply is quite a bit steeper.

Personally I'd suggest checking out some South Central standard mold decks if you want something with fairly steep kicks on both ends. Unfortunately DOA is all sold out at the moment but you could grab something from one of the other brands that use them or if you're not in a hurry I definitely recommend grabbing the DOA square shape if he does them in the next run. If you really want PS wood then the new ScumCo Ty Beall deck is pretty steep on both sides or you can get one of their Pennswood logo decks, the silver spoon shape is pretty steep.

Or just poke around on Premier and see if you see anything that tickles your pickle. They do the side pics for everything so you can get a pretty good idea of what its going to be like.

saltusnaut

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2020, 10:50:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

These ones look like the tail is pretty similar to the nose, but that nose might be a little mellower than what you want. Unfortunately for you the "trendy" thing right now is steep nose and mellow tail.

https://thepremierstore.com/products/porter-kool-breeze-deck

https://thepremierstore.com/products/seein-the-sights-deck-yellow-black

It does suck not being able to hold a deck in person and look at it from different angles etc. One thing I noticed when I got a bunch of the new ScumCo decks was that there's more variance in how steep and deep a board is based on where it is in the stack than I thought there'd be.

https://i.imgur.com/zRWHjX7.jpg

Same deck, same mold, same size but you can see that the board with the green ply is quite a bit steeper.

Personally I'd suggest checking out some South Central standard mold decks if you want something with fairly steep kicks on both ends. Unfortunately DOA is all sold out at the moment but you could grab something from one of the other brands that use them or if you're not in a hurry I definitely recommend grabbing the DOA square shape if he does them in the next run. If you really want PS wood then the new ScumCo Ty Beall deck is pretty steep on both sides or you can get one of their Pennswood logo decks, the silver spoon shape is pretty steep.

Or just poke around on Premier and see if you see anything that tickles your pickle. They do the side pics for everything so you can get a pretty good idea of what its going to be like.

Those boards you linked might be okay as long as there not to many fingers of flat.
I think I need to meditate on this decision.

Might just get a Hopps board again. Had one 3 years ago and remember it as feeling great. could be purely nostalgia.

satan

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2020, 07:42:28 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/legend_skateboards/
Anyone heard of these guys? In Vacaville. Been around since '94.
You down wit da DP? Dway? These are your guys!!!

Didn't someone do this in the 80's but it didn't take of?
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5TAPKFlTjO/

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2020, 08:52:05 PM »
Need some board advice...

Currently have an 8.5 BBS (April brand).

The wood is great (crispy as hell) but I am not wild about the shape.

Reasons:

-tail is too small and pointy.
-not enough concave.
-not wide enough.

Been looking at following decks:

WKND 8.6–looks like greater concave and more tail.
Quasi 8.75–nice shape but larger wheel base and slightly less concave.
Alien 8.75–looks similar to WKND, but would rather get a WKND cause they have been working hard and all companies use PS Stix I guess so it’s kind of like pick your poison.

I am also looking at a Scumco Deep Dish 8.5, but for a really deep concave I would prefer a 8.75-9.00 wide deck cause I have a size 12 and don’t like to feel the edges of the board.

Don’t really care about brand or graphics. Basically would just like more room to stand and do nollie and shuvit tricks.

Thanks ahead of time.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2020, 11:27:37 PM »

Reasons:

-not enough concave.
-not wide enough.

Alien 8.75–looks similar to WKND, but would rather get a WKND cause they have been working hard and all companies use PS Stix I guess so it’s kind of like pick your poison.

I am also looking at a Scumco Deep Dish 8.5, but for a really deep concave I would prefer a 8.75-9.00 wide deck cause I have a size 12 and don’t like to feel the edges of the board.

Don’t really care about brand or graphics. Basically would just like more room to stand and do nollie and shuvit tricks.

Thanks ahead of time.

Only things I can contribute to this are, Alien uses BBS, and have for a while. And Quasi shapes are super flat with real mellow tails, so if you're after more concave I'd look elsewhere.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2020, 01:26:10 AM »

Reasons:

-not enough concave.
-not wide enough.

Thanks ahead of time.

i have only been riding 8.75+ due to my size 13s so we are kinda in the same boat

i am really liking this polar p8 deck. listed as a 14.5 wheelbase online but in reality, 14.38. measures 8.8 at the widest point but tapers to 8.5. i cant really notice the taper all that much, just feels more agile on flip tricks. i do feel like it forces me to have good back foot positioning subliminally since there is just less room. according to tactics it has a 7" nose, a 6.5" tail, and .438 concave. measured it myself at a hair under 32". just about 31.9. i want to try another deck but im really tempted to buy another p8 and have it in my locker as a permanent shape. feels like home. the other decks i havent tried yet but are in the queue.

antihero brown bomber. all my AH decks have been super tough and currently are still serviceable today. the decks in question didnt fit the dims that i like now, but this one sure does. might be little flat, but everything else looks good
32" length
14.25 wb
6.875 nose
6.625 tail
.375 concave

assuming you dont like shaped boards, the popsicle option i would check out is the baker kader logo
32" length
14.25 wb
6.875 nose
6.5 tail
.5 concave

hopefully you arent against riding shapes because finding a popsicle at the dims you are looking for isnt easy, theres usually one dimension that fucks everything up imo. what i have seen a lot is "everything is perfect, but 14.5-15 wb.""everything is perfect, but way longer than 32.25." "everything is perfect, but 6.875 tail." of course these are my preferences but the bigger popsicles rarely come in "regular" dims. if i end up liking the baker deck i will stockpile that shit no question. its literally a unicorn if you look for these sorts of decks weekly.

id easily say im a better skater on shapes cause at this deck width, the shapes have more "tech" minded dims than the popsicles. get used to them if you want to ride wide boards and not just as a cruiser. hope this helps
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 03:00:32 AM by off »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2020, 02:31:41 AM »

Reasons:

-not enough concave.
-not wide enough.

Thanks ahead of time.
Get Polar.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Benchpress

• Rep: 9
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2020, 04:22:09 AM »
Anyone tried GX1000 boards? I know they're PS but I tried a homies and it felt very strange and unlike a lot of PS boards I've tried in the past. Maybe old stock or something but it felt soggy as fuck right out of the shrink.  Contemplated getting one as the shape is pretty right on but wanted to see other opinions.