Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread  (Read 116566 times)

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1396
Re: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread
« Reply #480 on: August 02, 2020, 08:30:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
We just got over 100 decks in at the shop and every Toy and Foundation board we got is pressed in China. Ewww. Tum Yeto switches up wood too much - if you're loyal to those brands it must be so frustrating to have to keep getting used to drastically different wood every couple years
[close]

I'm over in the UK and just started getting these Chinese decks through last month. They're terrible. The shapes and sizes are all over the shop. I've bought the same 7.875" deck three times now and it's had a different shape and size, the most recent being 8". Not just that, they split and snap really easily as well. I've been a loyal pawn for years but this is too much

As there any non-Yeto brands that have a similar shape to those decks? Mellow/flattish concave and go well with Thunders?
[close]

Of course I had to read this right after I bought a Foundation deck online. Goddamnit. I even checked this thread before I bought it and read that Foundation pro decks are PS, so I thought it was all good. Hopefully it's PS.
[close]

I'm sorry if I had any part in that bad decision; I thought their pro boards were still pressed in the US. Fingers crossed for you too. Adam.

How dare you, sir. And further to that, how could you. A dagger through my heart, and not the fun Dave Duncan-esque dagger either.

Glurmpz

« Reply #481 on: August 02, 2020, 09:09:44 PM »
Expand Quote
We just got over 100 decks in at the shop and every Toy and Foundation board we got is pressed in China. Ewww. Tum Yeto switches up wood too much - if you're loyal to those brands it must be so frustrating to have to keep getting used to drastically different wood every couple years. Cool to see the Creager Trix reissue in there except it's on a random shitty china shape.

Meanwhile, local brand Jenny just got their order from BBS and the boards are much nicer than the usual generic shapes 80% of BBS clients get. Logo printed on top, laser etched dims, custom dye jobs so every board has the same lay up. Nice and steep. On top of all that, they wholesale for $50 while most other brands have crept up to around $60. We got something like 25 in and within 2 days had sold 3/4 of them.
[close]
Do boards usually cost $35-$40 wholesale?

I take it you didn't read the whole thing before posting?

And yeah, does not sound like these China Tum Yeto boards are too great (surprise surprise) - already had a few people break brand new ones they bought from us. Sucks cause' they're for sure losing loyal pawns over it.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2002
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #482 on: August 02, 2020, 10:02:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
We just got over 100 decks in at the shop and every Toy and Foundation board we got is pressed in China. Ewww. Tum Yeto switches up wood too much - if you're loyal to those brands it must be so frustrating to have to keep getting used to drastically different wood every couple years
[close]

I'm over in the UK and just started getting these Chinese decks through last month. They're terrible. The shapes and sizes are all over the shop. I've bought the same 7.875" deck three times now and it's had a different shape and size, the most recent being 8". Not just that, they split and snap really easily as well. I've been a loyal pawn for years but this is too much

As there any non-Yeto brands that have a similar shape to those decks? Mellow/flattish concave and go well with Thunders?
[close]

Of course I had to read this right after I bought a Foundation deck online. Goddamnit. I even checked this thread before I bought it and read that Foundation pro decks are PS, so I thought it was all good. Hopefully it's PS.
[close]

I'm sorry if I had any part in that bad decision; I thought their pro boards were still pressed in the US. Fingers crossed for you too. Adam.
[close]

How dare you, sir. And further to that, how could you. A dagger through my heart, and not the fun Dave Duncan-esque dagger either.

I'll send you some lightly flatspotted F4 Conicals in 50mm to atone for my sins. But for real, I'm sorry if contributed to this bad decision. I've seen lots of Toy Machine and Foundation boards on sale on China platforms but they were all team models / price point decks. Didn't realize they did their pro models in China too which is really shitty.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #483 on: August 03, 2020, 10:42:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'll send you some lightly flatspotted F4 Conicals in 50mm to atone for my sins. But for real, I'm sorry if contributed to this bad decision. I've seen lots of Toy Machine and Foundation boards on sale on China platforms but they were all team models / price point decks. Didn't realize they did their pro models in China too which is really shitty.

Oh no, I'm not blaming you! It's all good, I'm just being an ass.

Oddly enough they cancelled my order and refunded my money today. Maybe they read this thread and took pity on me.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #484 on: August 05, 2020, 09:52:02 AM »
Apologies for not digging through this thread but regarding FA/ Hockey, they are BBS now correct?

I'm too old for FA/ Hockey but not sure I can resist the AA Pointbreak board.

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #485 on: August 05, 2020, 10:18:30 AM »
Apologies for not digging through this thread but regarding FA/ Hockey, they are BBS now correct?

All BBS since last year i think(?)

danmasontree

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #486 on: August 05, 2020, 10:39:57 AM »
Does anyone know what wood Blood Wizard uses?

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 821
« Reply #487 on: August 05, 2020, 09:51:12 PM »

Oddly enough they cancelled my order and refunded my money today. Maybe they read this thread and took pity on me.

The NA market pro decks are historically almost always PS but the pandemic has fucked up production pretty bad so I guess Tumyeto has been running stuff through other woodshops. Still a lot of PS here but they've been doing a lot of stuff through Watson and I'm pretty sure I saw a couple with Clutch stamps on one of the warehouse sites, so I'm guessing they just started putting stuff out for non US markets from the china mfg they've used for price points and euro boards. I know you live in a communist country so you should be happy you're getting commie wood Adam.

All BBS. In rare instances you can still find an old stock PS one on the wall in a shop but its pretty rare. Shape is pretty unforgiving for old legs but it's super popular for a reason so I'd suggest trying one if you haven't yet.

Does anyone know what wood Blood Wizard uses?

PGI. Same stuff as Maxallure, Skate Mental, and a few others. Pretty sure its chinese wood but it's probably the best chinese wood I've skated (good enough that a lot of people mistake it for BBS) and the boards are short and super mellow. Only thing I'd watch out for is that a lot of it is 14" wb which can throw some people off. Customer service is really great too, last time I ordered one they sent me the wrong size and when I emailed them they just sent me another board no questions asked.

nazoo

• Rep: 1
« Reply #488 on: August 05, 2020, 10:39:48 PM »

Could always phone the shops and ask if any of the pro decks have the proper stickers on them. Haven't got around to it yet but I'm not hopeful. Might try some Girl decks next, still Chinese wood but at least consistent shapes and quality

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #489 on: August 05, 2020, 11:03:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Could always phone the shops and ask if any of the pro decks have the proper stickers on them. Haven't got around to it yet but I'm not hopeful. Might try some Girl decks next, still Chinese wood but at least consistent shapes and quality

Not trusting stickers, the fake ones flooding Asia right now have the black / red + white stickers over the top bolt holes but no laser etching on them. A friend of mine skates nothing but Crail wood and says the quality is still inconsistent. He buys them 4-5 at a time and said some of them immediately felt waterlogged and floppy. But I take his words with a grain of salt, his really picky about his gear and spent the last session complaining about how his wheels felt like a 101a instead of 83b. In short, check them out in the shop before ordering a bunch at 1 shot online.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #490 on: August 06, 2020, 12:12:30 AM »
does anyone know if deluxe make that Ishod twin tail 8.3 for any other pro models, or just standard team models?

I've recently got one and love it, but i also notice that when those decks come into stock, they're gone really quickly, so chances that i find it when I'm done with my current deck is gonna be nigh impossible.

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #491 on: August 06, 2020, 01:08:24 AM »
does anyone know if deluxe make that Ishod twin tail 8.3 for any other pro models, or just standard team models?

I've recently got one and love it, but i also notice that when those decks come into stock, they're gone really quickly, so chances that i find it when I'm done with my current deck is gonna be nigh impossible.
There atleast used to be few Bobby Worrest Krooked twin tails, dont know if they still make them.

spanyard

• Rep: 77
« Reply #492 on: August 06, 2020, 06:50:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
There atleast used to be few Bobby Worrest Krooked twin tails, dont know if they still make them.

The two Bobby tt's Krooked put out recently were slicks fwiw.

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #493 on: August 06, 2020, 06:57:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The NA market pro decks are historically almost always PS but the pandemic has fucked up production pretty bad so I guess Tumyeto has been running stuff through other woodshops. Still a lot of PS here but they've been doing a lot of stuff through Watson and I'm pretty sure I saw a couple with Clutch stamps on one of the warehouse sites, so I'm guessing they just started putting stuff out for non US markets from the china mfg they've used for price points and euro boards. I know you live in a communist country so you should be happy you're getting commie wood Adam.

Thanks for bringing me to my senses. I'll gladly skate inferior skateboards in a display of solidarity with the Revolution. We're coming for your cheeseburger, om nom nom.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #494 on: August 08, 2020, 07:12:06 AM »
Hey pals, does anyone know the length of AWS 8.175 decks? The website says 32.25, but I think that is a bit long since my 8.125 has a 31.75 length.

By the way, that 8.125 Visitor is the best deck a had in a really long time. But AWS stuff is kinda hard to get in Germany.
IG: @flowterspace

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #495 on: August 09, 2020, 02:12:59 AM »
. But AWS stuff is kinda hard to get in Germany.

I got mine earlier this year online from freedom skateshop based on Austria.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 821
« Reply #496 on: August 09, 2020, 02:37:53 AM »
Hey pals, does anyone know the length of AWS 8.175 decks? The website says 32.25, but I think that is a bit long since my 8.125 has a 31.75 length.

By the way, that 8.125 Visitor is the best deck a had in a really long time. But AWS stuff is kinda hard to get in Germany.

Some companies measure with the concave, so like the tape is pushed down flat against the board. This will make it a half inch or so longer than the tip to tip measurement, so 32.25 would be around 31.75 tip to tip.

I don't know if that's AWS measures their boards though, so I would email them or ask a shop to measure one for you.

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #497 on: August 09, 2020, 03:10:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Some companies measure with the concave, so like the tape is pushed down flat against the board. This will make it a half inch or so longer than the tip to tip measurement, so 32.25 would be around 31.75 tip to tip.

I don't know if that's AWS measures their boards though, so I would email them or ask a shop to measure one for you.

AWS Euro boards are pressed in China instead of PS Styx, sizes and shapes usually doesn't match the AWS website.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1146
« Reply #498 on: August 09, 2020, 10:58:55 AM »
Anyone know anything about progress dist and what wood they use? Looks like they do print production. They print Visit, finesse, willys workshop, roller horror, & atm.

Banned from the room

« Reply #499 on: August 09, 2020, 12:44:47 PM »
Anyone know anything about progress dist and what wood they use? Looks like they do print production. They print Visit, finesse, willys workshop, roller horror, & atm.

Looks like a mix of wood shops.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #500 on: August 09, 2020, 04:00:59 PM »
Anyone know brand what the Baker OG mellow shape compares to ? I’m looking at either an 8.1 or an 8.25.

UrbanSombrero

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #501 on: August 11, 2020, 08:29:10 PM »
I just set up a new Alien Workshop 8.125 and it's stamped with Roman numerals like DLX decks.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #502 on: August 12, 2020, 01:22:07 PM »
Are we sure Primitive is BBS? I'm skeptical as hell.

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #503 on: August 12, 2020, 02:04:29 PM »
Me too, boards i've tried were so shitty.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #504 on: August 12, 2020, 02:09:47 PM »

I can’t say for all Primitive boards, but I rode a Heroin (BBS) egg and a Primitive Villani egg shape back to back and they both feel very similar. The owner of Heroin commented on the Egg shape thread last week that both companies use BBS iirc too

Seanfku

« Reply #505 on: August 12, 2020, 07:22:24 PM »

I got a Primitive deck with a made in China sticker.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #506 on: August 12, 2020, 07:40:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think they've started to make pricepoint boards, the non-pro models with the logo in Script should be their PP models.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 670
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #507 on: August 13, 2020, 01:54:25 AM »

Previously it was BBS only.
Starting from DBZ collab n°2 (around that time), all DBZs were Made in China (the first collab was BBS)
Then i had a Made In Mexico (from the main line).

The china ones weren't price point here. Same price which is a scam

Speaking of this, what's the price of a Santa Cruz board in the US ?
Are they cheaper than boards made in Mexico or same price ?

In France the price for Santa Cruz chinese wood is the same as boards from Mexico...
Santa Cruz is a bitch

Seanfku

« Reply #508 on: August 13, 2020, 03:50:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think they've started to make pricepoint boards, the non-pro models with the logo in Script should be their PP models.

It was actually a pro model. It had the typical BBS sticker but said made in China.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #509 on: August 13, 2020, 05:06:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It was actually a pro model. It had the typical BBS sticker but said made in China.

Oh that's fucked, this makes me sad Mr P-Rod
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m