Author Topic: Quasi?  (Read 42746 times)

camel filters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Quasi?
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2020, 05:05:43 PM »
So since coming back to skating a year ago I have only skater death wish and tactics shop decks. Both the same wood, so I wanted to try a ps stix deck and picked a quasi deck because it was 8.125 and over 14 wheel base. Anyone got experience with them? I’m praying the Oregon weather does not make it go to mush! At least for a month or more.
Wait tactics uses BBS? Damn might have to try one.
Dam

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2020, 06:10:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Personally I like the shape of their 8.0s much better.  They fit Thunders/Ventures way more.  The 8.125 I'd have to run Aces/Indies on since there is like no flat between the kicks and bolts.  Also I like a full kick but a square insanely short one gets kind of old after a while.  Plus it's PS so it feels shorter than what it actually lists.

My favorite Quasi shapes are their 8.0 x 32.375s, 8.25 x 32.375s and 8.375 x 32.25s.  I'd fuck with the 8.5 x 33 shape since it's similar (full bandaid style not FA no tail square kick shape) but it's a little bit too long for me.
[close]

I just got the 8.25 x 32.375 shape. The wb and width are accurate (8.25 and 32.375 ???), but the length is more like a 32, 31.95 ish and nowhere near actually 32.375
[close]

Did you put the length in the WB spot when typing? 32.23 is a long fucking wheelbase :P

That defiantly jibes with the other thread/comment about PSTIX measuring with a soft measuring tape accounting for the concave; truth be told the 'long' measurements have kept me off quasi (AW/Habitat) because I don't like long boards. But that also begs the question of if they're marked 'shorter' boards are, in fact, shorter than what they cite.

Makes me wonder if the FA measurements are done tip to tip even tho they are PStix.

Oops my bad lol. Yeah, I remember I had an 8.5 x 33 quasi a few years back and I didn't know at the time but in hindsight it was long ish but almost definitely wasn't 33. I can't say for sure for the other shapes, but this particular one, as confirmed by someone else in one of the gear threads is for sure a 32 not 32.375

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2020, 10:33:00 PM »
Expand Quote
From my experience American companies do not like to answer if I try to contact them, being from EU (especially warrant stuff) . Only one has ever answered to me was indy years ago when baseplates snapped in half (stage 10?), they told me to contact european distro and there they said that shit happens, that they’re not gonna replace it😄 These days I don’t even bother to try, I just suck it up and put hand on my pocket and get new shit. The reason why I asked is that has any european pals notice same thing on ps wood? I mean new Quasi would cost me 88USD, I can afford that for sure but should I🤔 Those shapes are on point tho.
[close]

I would say it's not worth it, maybe once in a while not all the time, damn that is $$$ for a deck.

Yeah, I agree.  Especially since ps boards are super crisp and poppy for the first few weeks, but seem to lose their pop quicker than most. 

I’ve actually been skating several Quasi’s in a row because, as a lot of people have said, they’ve got great shapes (at least the 8.25” 14.25 wb’s I skate).  But would I still skate them all the time if they cost me $88?  No.

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2020, 10:49:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Go for it homie. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one of those 8.5x33 boards. Currently have a wknd (ps stix) and it hit different for sure. I think I like it better
[close]

is it the same shape Hockey used on this? (8.5x33x14.5):

if so, get it. fucking lovely.
[close]

The few Hockey decks I've had (and the one WKND 8.3) definitely have steeper kicks and a bit more concave than any Quasi deck I've had. But the overall shape is very similar.
[close]

yeah I have to concur on FA boards also having way more concave/steep kicks in the same shape/dimensions as a quasi board

Sincerely appreciate the feedback guys!!
The chillest1

Lashes2ashes

• Rep: 7
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2020, 11:47:34 PM »
Expand Quote
So since coming back to skating a year ago I have only skater death wish and tactics shop decks. Both the same wood, so I wanted to try a ps stix deck and picked a quasi deck because it was 8.125 and over 14 wheel base. Anyone got experience with them? I’m praying the Oregon weather does not make it go to mush! At least for a month or more.
[close]
Wait tactics uses BBS? Damn might have to try one.
Dam
they did, from the research I could find on the internet.. but I’m not sure it’s top quality bbs wood. My tactics deck had the weird white looking bumps that turned to little chips and cracks on the edges, might have been something up with the epoxy when pressing the deck. And it went soggy after a month. My death wish board lasted four months and never went soggy, I just finally retired it when it was razor tailed to the point of looking like a shaped kick tail, but since I only payed 35 for the tactics board it was no big loss. If hurting for cash I would give it another shot, I might just have got a bad board.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2020, 04:25:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
From my experience American companies do not like to answer if I try to contact them, being from EU (especially warrant stuff) . Only one has ever answered to me was indy years ago when baseplates snapped in half (stage 10?), they told me to contact european distro and there they said that shit happens, that they’re not gonna replace it😄 These days I don’t even bother to try, I just suck it up and put hand on my pocket and get new shit. The reason why I asked is that has any european pals notice same thing on ps wood? I mean new Quasi would cost me 88USD, I can afford that for sure but should I🤔 Those shapes are on point tho.
[close]

I would say it's not worth it, maybe once in a while not all the time, damn that is $$$ for a deck.
[close]

Yeah, I agree.  Especially since ps boards are super crisp and poppy for the first few weeks, but seem to lose their pop quicker than most. 

I’ve actually been skating several Quasi’s in a row because, as a lot of people have said, they’ve got great shapes (at least the 8.25” 14.25 wb’s I skate).  But would I still skate them all the time if they cost me $88?  No.
I guess I stick my bbs then unless I get one from discount. Polar/AH has been good to me always.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2020, 06:26:52 AM »
My last PS Stix got really soggy really quickly l, maybe I got a bad one or they save their better boards for their more popular brands like quasi and hockey. Either way, I’m on south central wood at the moment and it’s like night and day...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 980
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2020, 11:27:29 AM »
My last PS Stix got really soggy really quickly l, maybe I got a bad one or they save their better boards for their more popular brands like quasi and hockey. Either way, I’m on south central wood at the moment and it’s like night and day...

Every PS I've ridden, except Quasi and one Habitat all sogged out in about two weeks (seems like the max life for most pros if not just one week); the habitat actually felt very different, very thin and cripsy compared to anything I've ridden out PS.

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2020, 08:16:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Personally I like the shape of their 8.0s much better.  They fit Thunders/Ventures way more.  The 8.125 I'd have to run Aces/Indies on since there is like no flat between the kicks and bolts.  Also I like a full kick but a square insanely short one gets kind of old after a while.  Plus it's PS so it feels shorter than what it actually lists.

My favorite Quasi shapes are their 8.0 x 32.375s, 8.25 x 32.375s and 8.375 x 32.25s.  I'd fuck with the 8.5 x 33 shape since it's similar (full bandaid style not FA no tail square kick shape) but it's a little bit too long for me.
[close]

I just got the 8.25 x 32.375 shape. The wb and width are accurate (8.25 and 32.375), but the length is more like a 32, 31.95 ish and nowhere near actually 32.375

Umm yeah it’s accurate. Don’t measure tip to tip without including the actual concave of the kicks.

PS Stix measures pre press. BBS doesn’t include any concave/shape when measuring. It’s old news.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2020, 09:05:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Every PS I've ridden, except Quasi and one Habitat all sogged out in about two weeks (seems like the max life for most pros if not just one week); the habitat actually felt very different, very thin and cripsy compared to anything I've ridden out PS.
yes, and I think you mentioned that street plant is another exception to the PS Stix soggy rule?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2020, 09:08:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I just got the 8.25 x 32.375 shape. The wb and width are accurate (8.25 and 32.375), but the length is more like a 32, 31.95 ish and nowhere near actually 32.375
[close]

Umm yeah it’s accurate. Don’t measure tip to tip without including the actual concave of the kicks.

PS Stix measures pre press. BBS doesn’t include any concave/shape when measuring. It’s old news.

I see, doesn't make much sense to measure pre press and not take into account the concave and shape to me.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2020, 10:07:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I see, doesn't make much sense to measure pre press and not take into account the concave and shape to me.
Literally can't measure pre-press, shape hasn't been cut yet!
If you watch the vids it's pretty obvious the cutters are cutting to length and width, they cannot "see" height or kicks/concave. This is the way CNC cutters work and these cutters are just moving in 2 axis.
If shops didn't cut shapes by length/width it'd be really tough for FA or Alien to use 2 woodshops for 1 shape/size. They probably just send the CAD file to the other shop.
PS Stix might measure flat across the deck with a soft tape.

TheAmericanAntique

• Rep: 10
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2020, 12:28:35 PM »
Love Quasi! For awhile I was riding the steeper squared shape, generally used for the Gilbert or Jake Decks, but I have since switched to the Bledsoe shape that's more Popsicle and mellow.

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2020, 05:48:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
If you watch the vids it's pretty obvious the cutters are cutting to length and width, they cannot "see" height or kicks/concave. This is the way CNC cutters work and these cutters are just moving in 2 axis.
If shops didn't cut shapes by length/width it'd be really tough for FA or Alien to use 2 woodshops for 1 shape/size. They probably just send the CAD file to the other shop.

you could measure the original template...
🤙

satan

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2020, 07:55:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

you could measure the original template...
There is no physical template with CNC. Drafting file, cutting path, cutting speed...
CAD drawing could give you length along the top and/or bottom of the deck, even straight thru the centerline for a "truer" length. But those lengths will vary thru the pressed stack.. see my last comment..

Template stuff is old school. And the templates are scale models, like 1/2 or 1/4 size. I've heard the stories about the old World riders working with Mullen on their shape and how it was art/science watching him make masters for shapes. Seen vids of the Professor doing this too. I'm assuming he has a cutter that uses templates at his Costa Mesa shop for small runs as it wouldn't make sense to have a CNC cutter sitting idle. Those things are probably $100k+.
To transfer this to CNC I'm pretty sure you could use a touch probe scanner, wouldn't need something crazy like laser scanning. Make a CAD file, email it to TJ..

Also
If you measure flat along a deck then steeper kickers will give you longer lengths. Flatter kick, shorter length. Would make it tough to give a listed length unless you said middle of the stack for measurements, some average length wonkiness.

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2020, 09:35:14 PM »
I’ve been skating Quasi and AH pretty exclusively for like 4 years now. Can’t bring myself to try any other boards at this point but I really want to try a dollar lave. Anyone got a quick review on those?
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2020, 07:14:11 AM »
Love Quasi! For awhile I was riding the steeper squared shape, generally used for the Gilbert or Jake Decks, but I have since switched to the Bledsoe shape that's more Popsicle and mellow.

bledsoe shape is my favorite, but i miss the JJ shape that was slightly mellower. Or maybe i got one that was further down the stack.

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

TheAmericanAntique

• Rep: 10
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2020, 07:44:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

bledsoe shape is my favorite, but i miss the JJ shape that was slightly mellower. Or maybe i got one that was further down the stack.

That JJ Shape was amazing. Noticed it more during the Mother days.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2020, 02:36:59 AM »
For some reason I really liked when they were called Mother, once they had to change for Quasi I stop caring at all for whatever dumb reason.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2020, 06:12:59 AM »
Expand Quote
I wish more sites would do what Slam City does:

https://www.slamcity.com/collections/50-60/quasi-skateboards

THAT'S how you show product.
[close]
totally agree. Should be the standard. Top view + Width length and wheelbase.

Then you should check out skatewarehouse site then. They actually show the side view of the concave.  I know concave varies due to stack but they give you 3 views of the decks.

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2020, 07:32:30 AM »
For some reason I really liked when they were called Mother, once they had to change for Quasi I stop caring at all for whatever dumb reason.

Mommy issues?

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2020, 05:15:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I wish more sites would do what Slam City does:

https://www.slamcity.com/collections/50-60/quasi-skateboards

THAT'S how you show product.
[close]
totally agree. Should be the standard. Top view + Width length and wheelbase.
[close]

Then you should check out skatewarehouse site then. They actually show the side view of the concave. I know concave varies due to stack but they give you 3 views of the decks.

Just to highlight this a little bit and how much it can vary

https://imgur.com/a/qMqjutG

These are the same model, same size, same mold. PS stix 8.25"...  The one with the green ply almost felt like a different shape because of how much steeper everything was. I was kind of shocked by this so I checked it with boards from other wood shops and it seemed like the mellower concaves (DOA Flat as fuck/SC "E" mold, Pennswood Kiddie Pool) had less difference but the PW ones I had were a 1 and 3 respectively so not that far apart. BBS Antihero boards were almost as bad as the PS ones but I'm not ripping my grip off to check where they were in the stack.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2020, 05:15:31 PM »
ps measures with the tape flat so all their length measurements are off in my book. does the quasi 8.5/proto 2 shape thats listed at 32.125 really come out at 31.75?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2020, 09:18:35 PM »
Currently riding an 8.5. Love the square nose. Just recently swooped up the 8.75 because I wanted to try out wide, and hot damn that feels long just standing on the deck.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2020, 10:42:18 PM »
how long is the 8.5 tip to tip? the 8.75 is definitely on my list to try once the venture drought is over
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2020, 03:11:27 AM »
Their 8.5 x 32.125 shape with 14.25 wheelbase and square kicks is my shit. Maybe the last 15-20 of my popsicles have been this shape. I just bought my third in a row of the same graphic because it's all i can find locally.
There's a lot of hate for ps stix on slap, in favour of bbs, but I think they're great. I love their "pop feel", I find the quality more consistent, they don't chip as easily, and because they're pressed in smaller stacks, there's much less variation in concave / flatness.
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2020, 05:58:57 AM »
how long is the 8.5 tip to tip? the 8.75 is definitely on my list to try once the venture drought is over
Quasi has 2 8.5 shapes. One is listed as 32.125 with 14.25 wb and the other is 33 with 14.5. Although multiple people including one in this thread says the measurements are overshot a bit cause they press the measurer into the concave.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2020, 05:10:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Quasi has 2 8.5 shapes. One is listed as 32.125 with 14.25 wb and the other is 33 with 14.5. Although multiple people including one in this thread says the measurements are overshot a bit cause they press the measurer into the concave.
Yup. I think it's the difference between measuring flat across the top, or across the bottom. If you're used to a bbs 8.5, a ps 8.5 will probably feel like 8.625
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2020, 12:57:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Yup. I think it's the difference between measuring flat across the top, or across the bottom. If you're used to a bbs 8.5, a ps 8.5 will probably feel like 8.625

True! Good observation! Perhaps why my bbs feel more flicky and ps feel like they flip slower.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2021, 09:24:40 AM »
Anyone run Quasi on Ace 44?

Spefically the 8.38 or 8.25 shape.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in