Author Topic: Quasi?  (Read 42942 times)

Lashes2ashes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 7
Quasi?
« on: January 02, 2020, 08:01:59 PM »
So since coming back to skating a year ago I have only skater death wish and tactics shop decks. Both the same wood, so I wanted to try a ps stix deck and picked a quasi deck because it was 8.125 and over 14 wheel base. Anyone got experience with them? I’m praying the Oregon weather does not make it go to mush! At least for a month or more.

sadnocomply

• Rep: 132
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: Quasi?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 09:30:58 PM »
They niiiice bro! I got the 8.25 davis baptism and I really love the mellow kicks and squarish shape

Lashes2ashes

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 09:34:16 PM »
That’s a good point, I did not even think of how steep the kicks might be! Are they all pretty mellow? I’m riding indys so I prefer mellow.

Chill hubba

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 09:35:48 PM »
Best shape out.

sadnocomply

• Rep: 132
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 09:50:03 PM »
That’s a good point, I did not even think of how steep the kicks might be! Are they all pretty mellow? I’m riding indys so I prefer mellow.

Oh yeah they all pretty mellow from what I have seen, and hell yeah indy is def my preferred truck with Quasi. Shit is explosive!

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 10:07:55 PM »
Go for it homie. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one of those 8.5x33 boards. Currently have a wknd (ps stix) and it hit different for sure. I think I like it better
The chillest1

Lashes2ashes

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 10:41:31 PM »
I’m glad to get positive feedback! Now I don’t have to spend the two days for it to get here from tactics going what am I doing buying a non bareback board!

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 08:50:39 AM »
I haven’t had a quasi in a few years but it was mellow and one of the better decks I had around that time. I think it’s a pretty safe bet

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 08:55:59 AM »
Be sure to know if you want the rounded or the square/band-aid shape (band-aid/square is amazing).

lesserredpanda

• Rep: 15
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 02:03:10 PM »
Just skated 2 Quasi decks back to back, they’re great and hold up well in all sorts of weather. Always love riding a ps stix board. I find they can be a bit fragile sometimes but it doesn’t bother me.

Lashes2ashes

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 07:50:56 PM »
Be sure to know if you want the rounded or the square/band-aid shape (band-aid/square is amazing).
that’s a good point! The shape of the one I ordered looks like a standard popsicle to me, and that’s what the website has it listed as. It’s the crocket wiz deck

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 07:56:35 PM »
I wish more sites would do what Slam City does:

https://www.slamcity.com/collections/50-60/quasi-skateboards

THAT'S how you show product.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 08:51:53 PM »
I wish more sites would do what Slam City does:

https://www.slamcity.com/collections/50-60/quasi-skateboards

THAT'S how you show product.
totally agree. Should be the standard. Top view + Width length and wheelbase.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 09:16:46 PM »
Anyone know if the Proto Two is a special shape? When Quasi first came out I reckon I skated 5 or 6 in a row... obviously loved them. Took a pretty big break to skate BBS wood for a while and bought a Proto Two not that long ago and hated it for some reason. Very very flat all round, not how I remember it.

Dumb question but what trucks are people preferring on Quasi's square-er shapes? Aces feel like shit and have Thunder Indy and ventures at my disposal

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 09:39:36 PM »
Anyone know if the Proto Two is a special shape? When Quasi first came out I reckon I skated 5 or 6 in a row... obviously loved them. Took a pretty big break to skate BBS wood for a while and bought a Proto Two not that long ago and hated it for some reason. Very very flat all round, not how I remember it.

Dumb question but what trucks are people preferring on Quasi's square-er shapes? Aces feel like shit and have Thunder Indy and ventures at my disposal

When I skated thunders I loved Quasi decks. Once I swapped to aces, they just didn’t work for me at all.

I second the notion of shops putting up wheelbase / length when they list decks online. I suggested this to the owner of my local (a friend of mine), and he told me if I wanted to know the wheelbase I should just come in and measure it myself haha

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2020, 09:40:21 PM »
I rode indy 149s on all mine 8.25-8.5 with 56mm conical fulls. it was the best. I liked manuals with the aces but didn't really like anything else with them.

Woos

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2020, 09:52:33 PM »
Personally I like the shape of their 8.0s much better.  They fit Thunders/Ventures way more.  The 8.125 I'd have to run Aces/Indies on since there is like no flat between the kicks and bolts.  Also I like a full kick but a square insanely short one gets kind of old after a while.  Plus it's PS so it feels shorter than what it actually lists.

My favorite Quasi shapes are their 8.0 x 32.375s, 8.25 x 32.375s and 8.375 x 32.25s.  I'd fuck with the 8.5 x 33 shape since it's similar (full bandaid style not FA no tail square kick shape) but it's a little bit too long for me.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 09:54:21 PM by Woos »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2020, 10:10:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

When I skated thunders I loved Quasi decks. Once I swapped to aces, they just didn’t work for me at all.

I second the notion of shops putting up wheelbase / length when they list decks online. I suggested this to the owner of my local (a friend of mine), and he told me if I wanted to know the wheelbase I should just come in and measure it myself haha

I really like the fact that their photos actually showcase the shapes properly vs what Socal or SW does.

I skated a bunch of the proto ones w/147 ti thunders and loved them. Great combo. Didn't like them with any other trucks.

Not sure of the I or II are different? They've a bunch of different models that are One or Two / I or II and seem to be based on size? II = bigger?

Proto I
Proto II
Quasi Time One
Quasi Time Two

Woos

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2020, 03:26:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I really like the fact that their photos actually showcase the shapes properly vs what Socal or SW does.

I skated a bunch of the proto ones w/147 ti thunders and loved them. Great combo. Didn't like them with any other trucks.

Not sure of the I or II are different? They've a bunch of different models that are One or Two / I or II and seem to be based on size? II = bigger?

Proto I
Proto II
Quasi Time One
Quasi Time Two

For Protos: Twos are 8.5, ones are 2.5. Ones taper from 8.25 to 8.0.  Twos don’t taper.

Time one is just a standard 8.0. They only have one 8.0 shape and it’s nothing like the protos. It’s my favorite shape (see my comment above) by Quasi.  Time Two is a Proto One shape but I believe it might not taper (but I could be wrong about the taper thing).

I recommend trying Indy 144s with forged base plates with the Proto One if you’re haven’t... they sit perfectly and are lower than Indy Standards.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 03:33:05 AM by Woos »

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2020, 04:13:40 AM »
Go for it homie. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one of those 8.5x33 boards. Currently have a wknd (ps stix) and it hit different for sure. I think I like it better

is it the same shape Hockey used on this? (8.5x33x14.5):

if so, get it. fucking lovely.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2020, 07:12:57 AM »
Just skated 2 Quasi decks back to back, they’re great and hold up well in all sorts of weather. Always love riding a ps stix board. I find they can be a bit fragile sometimes but it doesn’t bother me.
Where I live (Finland) ps boards are like 15euros more than bbs boards. I’ve had three quasis, everyone of them snapped in half in like 5 sessions. Do you think that I’ve had bad luck only or that ps wood and it’s nanotubes jus’t don’t like to travel across the pond? Should I try them one more time or stick with bbs?
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2020, 08:05:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Where I live (Finland) ps boards are like 15euros more than bbs boards. I’ve had three quasis, everyone of them snapped in half in like 5 sessions. Do you think that I’ve had bad luck only or that ps wood and it’s nanotubes jus’t don’t like to travel across the pond? Should I try them one more time or stick with bbs?

i mean if you can afford it sure. i snapped only one out of five of my bbs decks and dlx sent me a free replacement. im not sure how good ps stix customer service is, but that always keeps me coming back
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2020, 08:22:47 AM »
great boards, great shapes. go for it. the dudes that work there are hella helpful too, so if you got questions, hit em up.
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2020, 10:45:11 AM »
From my experience American companies do not like to answer if I try to contact them, being from EU (especially warrant stuff) . Only one has ever answered to me was indy years ago when baseplates snapped in half (stage 10?), they told me to contact european distro and there they said that shit happens, that they’re not gonna replace it😄 These days I don’t even bother to try, I just suck it up and put hand on my pocket and get new shit. The reason why I asked is that has any european pals notice same thing on ps wood? I mean new Quasi would cost me 88USD, I can afford that for sure but should I🤔 Those shapes are on point tho.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2020, 12:13:52 PM »
Personally I like the shape of their 8.0s much better.  They fit Thunders/Ventures way more.  The 8.125 I'd have to run Aces/Indies on since there is like no flat between the kicks and bolts.  Also I like a full kick but a square insanely short one gets kind of old after a while.  Plus it's PS so it feels shorter than what it actually lists.

My favorite Quasi shapes are their 8.0 x 32.375s, 8.25 x 32.375s and 8.375 x 32.25s.  I'd fuck with the 8.5 x 33 shape since it's similar (full bandaid style not FA no tail square kick shape) but it's a little bit too long for me.

I just got the 8.25 x 32.375 shape. The wb and width are accurate (8.25 and 32.375), but the length is more like a 32, 31.95 ish and nowhere near actually 32.375

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2020, 12:29:57 PM »
I've only skated ps stix wood the last year and a half. Mainly 8.25s with 14.25wb and the 8.5x33 with 14.5wb. Quasi, Wknd, and FA, I wouldn't pay extra for them, but definitely prefer the shapes and wood because I keep buying them. Had a polar that was bbs a little over a year ago that I really liked though, so if ps was more I'd probably buy polar or something else instead.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2020, 01:04:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I just got the 8.25 x 32.375 shape. The wb and width are accurate (8.25 and 32.375 ???), but the length is more like a 32, 31.95 ish and nowhere near actually 32.375

Did you put the length in the WB spot when typing? 32.23 is a long fucking wheelbase :P

That defiantly jibes with the other thread/comment about PSTIX measuring with a soft measuring tape accounting for the concave; truth be told the 'long' measurements have kept me off quasi (AW/Habitat) because I don't like long boards. But that also begs the question of if they're marked 'shorter' boards are, in fact, shorter than what they cite.

Makes me wonder if the FA measurements are done tip to tip even tho they are PStix.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 01:07:12 PM by Xen »

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2020, 02:21:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The few Hockey decks I've had (and the one WKND 8.3) definitely have steeper kicks and a bit more concave than any Quasi deck I've had. But the overall shape is very similar.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2020, 02:28:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The few Hockey decks I've had (and the one WKND 8.3) definitely have steeper kicks and a bit more concave than any Quasi deck I've had. But the overall shape is very similar.

yeah I have to concur on FA boards also having way more concave/steep kicks in the same shape/dimensions as a quasi board

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2020, 04:15:23 PM »
From my experience American companies do not like to answer if I try to contact them, being from EU (especially warrant stuff) . Only one has ever answered to me was indy years ago when baseplates snapped in half (stage 10?), they told me to contact european distro and there they said that shit happens, that they’re not gonna replace it😄 These days I don’t even bother to try, I just suck it up and put hand on my pocket and get new shit. The reason why I asked is that has any european pals notice same thing on ps wood? I mean new Quasi would cost me 88USD, I can afford that for sure but should I🤔 Those shapes are on point tho.

I would say it's not worth it, maybe once in a while not all the time, damn that is $$$ for a deck.