Author Topic: Quasi?  (Read 42959 times)

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Quasi?
« Reply #150 on: November 14, 2021, 01:45:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
No one told me how FLAT these goddamn boards are
[close]

The Quasi boards I have seen, stood on and skated have all felt at least medium but usually steeper than average.

Are you meaning the concave across the board, or the angle of the kicks or both?

Which board was it on too?
[close]
Maybe I’m just over analyzing it but…. Both? Idk. The last Quasi I skated was a couple years ago (right after the name change actually so there’s no way I can recall what that shape was like) but I went out and got Dane Barker’s pro deck because that had one in the dimensions I like (8.375 14.25 wb)

Did it have info on the top that you could see before it was gripped?

Just re reading above it might be BBS wood, or could still be PS Stix, both of which have very mellow molds, as well as very steep molds and lots in between.

Sorry I ask too many questions!

Not a worry either way though.

I haven't seen any of the new ones at all.

europa1991

• Rep: 56
« Reply #151 on: November 14, 2021, 06:53:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
No one told me how FLAT these goddamn boards are
[close]

The Quasi boards I have seen, stood on and skated have all felt at least medium but usually steeper than average.

Are you meaning the concave across the board, or the angle of the kicks or both?

Which board was it on too?
[close]
Maybe I’m just over analyzing it but…. Both? Idk. The last Quasi I skated was a couple years ago (right after the name change actually so there’s no way I can recall what that shape was like) but I went out and got Dane Barker’s pro deck because that had one in the dimensions I like (8.375 14.25 wb)
[close]

Did it have info on the top that you could see before it was gripped?

Just re reading above it might be BBS wood, or could still be PS Stix, both of which have very mellow molds, as well as very steep molds and lots in between.

Sorry I ask too many questions!

Not a worry either way though.

I haven't seen any of the new ones at all.
Its BBS actually!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #152 on: November 14, 2021, 07:07:17 AM »
Anyone know if this new BBS Quasi is any different of a shape? The dims are the same as usual.

Pee nis

• Rep: 20
« Reply #153 on: November 14, 2021, 09:15:34 AM »
The new Dane Barker decks are BBS. Since PS Stix measures with concave and BBS measures straight across, someone should measure a PS Stix and BBS quasi side by side to see if the PS Stix measures slightly smaller straight across. I had a PS Stix 8.25 proto with decent concave last year and it was clearly smaller measured straight across than an FA 8.25 I also had.

Assuming shape is same would be interesting if an 8.25 BBS quasi feels slightly bigger due to woodshop measuring differences.

superleftswipebby

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #154 on: November 14, 2021, 05:17:59 PM »
anyone know the wb and length of the 8.5 dane barker deck?

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #155 on: November 14, 2021, 07:50:45 PM »
Quasi BBS 8.5 with a longer wheelbase would be amazing

wheee!

foureyedjim

« Reply #156 on: November 14, 2021, 07:57:21 PM »

Just a heads up that there are 8.5 Uma landsleds out in the wild that are 14.75 WB and I think 32.5" long.  Maybe they'll make more because I loved the sizing, just not the lack of a large nose like Quasi.  Currently just switched over to an 8.62 quasi that has the long WB and I'm digging it.

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2021, 01:36:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just a heads up that there are 8.5 Uma landsleds out in the wild that are 14.75 WB and I think 32.5" long.  Maybe they'll make more because I loved the sizing, just not the lack of a large nose like Quasi.  Currently just switched over to an 8.62 quasi that has the long WB and I'm digging it.

Their 8.62 is my new fave. 8.5 seem to bow out in the center a little more than I'd like. I do do 159's on it too.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #158 on: November 16, 2021, 03:44:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Their 8.62 is my new fave. 8.5 seem to bow out in the center a little more than I'd like. I do do 159's on it too.

Does that 8.6 have the 14.75 wheelbase as well?

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #159 on: November 16, 2021, 07:32:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks appreciate the heads up. Not a big fan of Uma but that's good to know.

wheee!

Minoru Suzuki

• Rep: 1
« Reply #160 on: November 17, 2021, 06:35:28 AM »
Anybody pick up a Quasi hoodie from one of their recent drops? They say they use a new blank - Heavyweight 14oz Jersey Fleece with an Updated Athletic Fit. Does anybody know what brand and/or model they might be using now? I wanna pick one up, but I'm a little weary about "Athletic Fit".

I have a couple of their pullovers from older drops and those are printed on Independent Trading Co Heavyweight Hoodies (IND4000), but they're definitely using a new blank based on photos and that new description.

Some of their recent hoods:

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 113
« Reply #161 on: November 19, 2021, 03:32:03 PM »
The new Dane Barker decks are BBS. Since PS Stix measures with concave and BBS measures straight across, someone should measure a PS Stix and BBS quasi side by side to see if the PS Stix measures slightly smaller straight across. I had a PS Stix 8.25 proto with decent concave last year and it was clearly smaller measured straight across than an FA 8.25 I also had.

Assuming shape is same would be interesting if an 8.25 BBS quasi feels slightly bigger due to woodshop measuring differences.

Just got an 8.38 and 8.25 Dane pro model. They are BBS and the measure true to size with no visible taper. They measure 8.38 and 8.25 all the way nose to tail. The 8.38 PS Stix Quasi I have is 8.38 in the center but tapers off towards the ends. They seem like standard BBS shapes.

superleftswipebby

« Reply #162 on: November 19, 2021, 03:48:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just got an 8.38 and 8.25 Dane pro model. They are BBS and the measure true to size with no visible taper. They measure 8.38 and 8.25 all the way nose to tail. The 8.38 PS Stix Quasi I have is 8.38 in the center but tapers off towards the ends. They seem like standard BBS shapes.

is it steep?

spanyard

• Rep: 77
« Reply #163 on: November 19, 2021, 05:06:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Do you know th measured length/wb please?

Spaced Cadet

« Reply #164 on: November 19, 2021, 05:06:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

is it steep?

Steeper than PS stix for sure. Seems similar to FA overall. The 8.25 is the wall board and seemed way too steep for me but the 8.38 seemed more manageable(size I normally skate). Not sure if that's where they were in the mold or just not being used to the smaller size.

Not sure how I feel about the move to BBS since I've grown to love PS stix boards again despite the quality control issues in the past. Last several PS stix Quasi boards have actually been really good to me.

Spaced Cadet

« Reply #165 on: November 19, 2021, 05:17:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

8.25 says 32.125 but is actually 31.625 measuring straight across
8.38 says 32.25 but is actually 31.75
Both have the correct WB of 14.25

So the 8.38 is the same exact length and wb as the 8.38 PS stix Quasi I have.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #166 on: November 19, 2021, 05:37:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

is the shape spot on?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

superleftswipebby

« Reply #167 on: November 19, 2021, 05:44:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

is it steep?
[close]

Steeper than PS stix for sure. Seems similar to FA overall. The 8.25 is the wall board and seemed way too steep for me but the 8.38 seemed more manageable(size I normally skate). Not sure if that's where they were in the mold or just not being used to the smaller size.

Not sure how I feel about the move to BBS since I've grown to love PS stix boards again despite the quality control issues in the past. Last several PS stix Quasi boards have actually been really good to me.

thanks dawg. gonna cop the 8.5 asap once it gets to canada

Spaced Cadet

« Reply #168 on: November 19, 2021, 06:18:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
is the shape spot on?

Spot on like is the bbs the same as ps stix? Nah, like i said earlier the PS stix has a slight taper on the 8.38 and the bbs is straight. BBS has steeper concave and steeper kicks. I think Quasi has two different 8.38 models that very slightly if I remember correctly so I'm just comparing to the one I got now. Overall measurements (ignoring the slight taper at the ends) seems to be about the same except that both sets of holes are drilled a 1/16 lower on the BBS than the PS Stix for some reason.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #169 on: November 19, 2021, 11:09:02 PM »
Really bummed if they will all be BBS from now on. Quasi have been pretty popular and easy to get around here but after this the only available PS Stix will be GX1000.

I liked the shape of FA except for the nose being way too steep but it also felt too stiff and hard to me which is why I prefer PSs
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #170 on: November 20, 2021, 05:56:03 AM »
Also prefer ps, over bbs.

blueskynoise

• Rep: 23
« Reply #171 on: November 20, 2021, 07:13:05 AM »
I was hoping to try out the Quasi BBS shape during the summer. PS decks go soft during the summer for me from grabbing the nose/tail with sweaty hands. Might need to grab the Dane board for “research purposes”

Pee nis

• Rep: 20
« Reply #172 on: November 20, 2021, 08:48:34 AM »
I don’t think they’re moving all to BBS but no idea how the logistics of that will work. Think the prototype boards Gilbert/henry have been skating on IG are just the BBS version of the PS proto shape. Like the graphic a lot on those so will be picking up an 8.25 once the BBS protos hit shops and will nerd out on WB/length vs PS as I have an unskated J Henry 8.25 PS to compare dimensions to.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #173 on: November 20, 2021, 01:14:35 PM »
Someone post a top pic of the Dane BBS if they can. Love to see how close the nose/tail shape is to the original PS Quasi's.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #174 on: November 20, 2021, 02:06:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

are the noses still square ish/ thumb ish?

Hoping GX sticks with PS

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #175 on: November 20, 2021, 05:12:06 PM »
Are 8.5 Quasi decks as steep as FA or Hockey?

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #176 on: November 20, 2021, 09:37:02 PM »

Not in my experience. The noses on FA/Hockey’s are fucking quarter pipes.

Hopefully the noses don’t get super steep now that they’re going to BBS

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #177 on: November 21, 2021, 02:07:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ha yeah totally!

FA / Hockey must have the steepest boards (dedicated presses) in BBS and I don't think I have seen or stood on anything quite as steep, although quite a few come close.

Most normal BBS boards are about half that, PS Stix a little more mellow again, but can sometimes be steeper than others in the Quasi lineup I have had a stand on.

It is a different feel and concave, PS Stix having a flat face of kick after the upturn angle, compared to BBS which is much more spoon like overall, concave both across the kick and up from the upturn angle.

spanyard

• Rep: 77
« Reply #178 on: November 21, 2021, 07:45:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ha yeah totally!

FA / Hockey must have the steepest boards (dedicated presses) in BBS and I don't think I have seen or stood on anything quite as steep, although quite a few come close.

Most normal BBS boards are about half that, PS Stix a little more mellow again, but can sometimes be steeper than others in the Quasi lineup I have had a stand on.

It is a different feel and concave, PS Stix having a flat face of kick after the upturn angle, compared to BBS which is much more spoon like overall, concave both across the kick and up from the upturn angle.

^Nice spot on description on the differences between the FA/quasi concaves. For FA/Hockey, I've been using mbrimson/woodshops' advice of parking my car's tire over deck's nose overnight. Has made a sugnificant difference. But I've been on a quasi spell for the last couple months so I'm sticking to their pstix formula for the time being.

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #179 on: November 21, 2021, 01:12:25 PM »
Really bummed if they will all be BBS from now on. Quasi have been pretty popular and easy to get around here but after this the only available PS Stix will be GX1000.

I liked the shape of FA except for the nose being way too steep but it also felt too stiff and hard to me which is why I prefer PSs
Really hoping the new proto boards aren’t bbs and hoping this to be a one time thing. Just ordered one from the garageskate shop sale.
Wknd also use ps stix. Not sure where you’re located but Snack is also ps stix and they use the same 8.5 square shaped board as quasi
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 02:06:30 PM by skatesum609 »