Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 358328 times)

TheSickness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 14
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #2400 on: February 13, 2022, 08:29:10 PM »
I'm trying to switch to Venture again after riding Indy for a few years,  I want to get the right ones - I want the 6.1 size and I'd like them to be low and as light as possible.  I saw on the Venture site that there's a difference between red bushings and the purple bushings- I can't recall but I believe one is high and one is low....then my other problem is I can't figure out if theres a difference between V-lights and the V-light Hollows...I can't seem to locate a single blog post, website or  YouTube video what's the difference (if any) - at this point I'm ready to bail and ride Thunder or Indy since they make everything so much simpler to grasp!!
Hoping to get an answer here!!

Thanks!!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2401 on: February 13, 2022, 08:34:53 PM »
They don’t make a 6.1 low. Bushing color doesn’t indicate height.

V-lights always have forged plates which are lower by 1mm and stretch the WB out slightly. Hollows add a hollow axle and kingpin and are lighter. Tactics usually has accurate measurements if you want to compare. IIRC someone said the 6.1 stretch the WB out less than the other sizes.

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #2402 on: February 13, 2022, 11:14:35 PM »
Expand Quote
just wanted to run some truck madness by you guys,

[close]
The only deck I have really preferred my 5.8s on is a mellow 14.75wb. Longer boards can use the additional pop, imo the shorter the wb the more fingers of flat needed.

I’m new to Ventures and currently riding my first set of 6.1s on a 14.75wb, it is actually great, although I’m on the taller side. Pop feel is amazing, flatground is nice it definitely feels like there’s more pop, manuals are also much easier. This is coming from thunder 151 lights. And I can confirm that the ventures pull in the wb a touch, in comparison to the thunders.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1361
« Reply #2403 on: February 13, 2022, 11:35:34 PM »
Been hesitant on setting up a new magenta deck w/ a 14.5 wb because I've only ridden my 5.8 His on 14.25. glad to see the longer wheelbases have worked well for some of you dudes.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #2404 on: February 15, 2022, 12:41:19 AM »
I was considering getting a set of Venture 5.8s or 6.1s (standards) since I've been seeing them on sale lately. I normally run my trucks medium loose (carvy enough for slappies, nowhere near jiggly loose though). What are the biggest wheels y'all have run on these. I'm not opposed to using 1/8" risers btw
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 01:06:09 AM by FatGuy92 »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2405 on: February 15, 2022, 03:51:01 AM »
I was considering getting a set of Venture 5.8s or 6.1s (standards) since I've been seeing them on sale lately. I normally run my trucks medium loose (carvy enough for slappies, nowhere near jiggly loose though). What are the biggest wheels y'all have run on these. I'm not opposed to using 1/8" risers btw

A guy I know skates 5.8 with 56 and sometimes 58 mm wheels, minimal to no risers, fairly loose trucks.  Certainly see a lot of wheel bite on his board, but he said it doesn't seem to bother him as much as people might think.

I am about to get some used Venture trucks in bigger sizes - shipped and awaiting delivery later this week, all going well - so am curious to see what I can go up to on them.

A couple of boards that I have made wheel wells are going to be my test to see if I can get 60mm cruiser wheels on Ventures with minimal risers and still have them turn as much as I like for that sort of rolling, as well as normal skating on whatever size wheel I can get on there.  Should be fun.

Will let you know.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2406 on: February 15, 2022, 07:48:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A guy I know skates 5.8 with 56 and sometimes 58 mm wheels, minimal to no risers, fairly loose trucks.  Certainly see a lot of wheel bite on his board, but he said it doesn't seem to bother him as much as people might think.

I am about to get some used Venture trucks in bigger sizes - shipped and awaiting delivery later this week, all going well - so am curious to see what I can go up to on them.

A couple of boards that I have made wheel wells are going to be my test to see if I can get 60mm cruiser wheels on Ventures with minimal risers and still have them turn as much as I like for that sort of rolling, as well as normal skating on whatever size wheel I can get on there.  Should be fun.

Will let you know.

Great thank you!

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #2407 on: February 15, 2022, 09:02:40 AM »
I'm heavy and although Ventures don't wheelbite as bad as Thunders, they definitely wheelbite worse than Ace or Indy for me. 1/8" risers and 52mm wheels is what I have to ride with Venture standards. If I go upwards of 54mm the wheelbite is pretty significant.

Acky Jacky

« Reply #2408 on: February 15, 2022, 10:07:58 AM »
I ride 52-54 mm wheels and barely have issues with wheelbite on Venture, I’m only 160 pounds and definitely have plenty of wheelbite marks, but I never considered it an issue compared to other brands.

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #2409 on: February 15, 2022, 10:21:08 AM »
the wheelbite convo is so interesting to me.  i get the least wheelbite on ventures of any truck.  i normally am rocking 54mm wheels on a cast 5.8 plate, ti hanger, flat top washer and riptide cups. 

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #2410 on: February 15, 2022, 10:47:29 AM »
Everyone seems to have differing degrees of tolerance for how much wheelbite is okay. I'm running 5.8s medium loose, probably ever so slightly on the looser side for my weight but nowhere near jiggly. Got some 54mm 97a classics on right now and its not an issue at all. I have giant wheelbite marks on all my boards which some people may see as a big problem but rarely does it actually catch and stop me from rolling away from a trick.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 10:59:34 AM by tzhangdox »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2411 on: February 15, 2022, 03:40:34 PM »
Ventures do wheelbite for sure, but I don’t get bucked like I did with thunders…..it’s the angle of contact.  That said, Aces/Indy’s definitely are a better choice, also I’m referring to 5.6’s vs 148/44’s/144’s….

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1361
« Reply #2412 on: February 15, 2022, 06:59:47 PM »
Ventures do bite for me, but I have to really be of balanced for it to actually snag to the point I am thrown forward. I'm a pretty big dude and like my trucks loose-ish, but have found that for the instances I do lean too much to one side a little wax in the wheel wells goes a long way.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2413 on: February 15, 2022, 09:52:37 PM »
For some reason my last post isn't showing up, but just wanted to say thanks all for the input! I was planning on running 5.8 or 6.1 standards with 1/8 risers and 56 conical fulls at medium loose and it seems like the general consensus is that it will work alright. For reference, I'm definitely overweight but considering I'm a short dude, wheel bite shouldn't be bad at all.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2414 on: February 16, 2022, 02:32:29 AM »
For some reason my last post isn't showing up, but just wanted to say thanks all for the input! I was planning on running 5.8 or 6.1 standards with 1/8 risers and 56 conical fulls at medium loose and it seems like the general consensus is that it will work alright. For reference, I'm definitely overweight but considering I'm a short dude, wheel bite shouldn't be bad at all.

I did 97a 56 conical fulls on some 5.8 v-lights (forged baseplates so even lower) once and honestly the wheelbite was pretty manageable. If you dont want the extra height, its definitely worth trying it with no risers. Wax up the wheelbite area a little bit and see if it works.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2415 on: February 16, 2022, 07:14:37 AM »
^dude you shouldn’t be posting at 2:32 go to sleep so you can skate the courthouse with me at sunrise.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2416 on: February 16, 2022, 10:08:56 AM »
not a chance

Justrollingthru

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2417 on: February 16, 2022, 08:53:59 PM »
I found some 90's baseplates in my toolbox that must've been from high school, decided to try out the Krux DLK and slapped some 6.1 hangers on there. Once I'm healed from my back injury, it's on! The kingpin swap was so easy, just like putting in a grindking in back in the day.

Will this work with the vlights forged baseplates or the normal ventures with cast baseplate? Can I do this with any ventures?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2418 on: February 16, 2022, 09:06:35 PM »
Expand Quote
I found some 90's baseplates in my toolbox that must've been from high school, decided to try out the Krux DLK and slapped some 6.1 hangers on there. Once I'm healed from my back injury, it's on! The kingpin swap was so easy, just like putting in a grindking in back in the day.

[close]

Will this work with the vlights forged baseplates or the normal ventures with cast baseplate? Can I do this with any ventures?

I just dug up a whole box of old Ventures and other trucks, almost all of which had the old "normal" hex head kingpin and not the hammered in flat round new kingpins.

The old ones were easy enough to get out and put in, as they had the hex head scored into the baseplate area, so you could put in a nut easily enough there too.

The newer ones do not have that sort of shape and you have to hammer the existing kingpin out first, which can take a whole lot more effort than it should and then you have to use something to fix the hex head in there as it is just a round space - usually weld or something, which can come loose as per others in the truck thread.

I had heard some very new versions of some trucks will now come with a hex space built into the baseplate but I am not sure who has them, or if they are widespread or just in a few places right now, so the best thing is to check the baseplate first and see if it has that option, otherwise the many pages of the truck thread will have all sorts of info on how to invert a kingpin into a modern plate with a DIY locking process.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Justrollingthru

« Reply #2419 on: February 16, 2022, 09:12:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The newer ones do not have that sort of shape and you have to hammer the existing kingpin out first, which can take a whole lot more effort than it should and then you have to use something to fix the hex head in there as it is just a round space - usually weld or something, which can come loose as per others in the truck thread.

Okay so it may be possible with the right tools. Shit man I would love some ventures with inverted pins.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #2420 on: February 17, 2022, 05:05:50 AM »
Anybody knows what pros, who ride for venture, setups look like? Would be interesting.

Kader for example. Does he ride low or high ventures? I doubt he rides 14“ wheelbase too, like many say would be optimum with ventures. I don’t see any baker decks with a 14“ Wb, at least 8+.

IpathCats

« Reply #2421 on: February 17, 2022, 05:42:29 AM »
Anybody knows what pros, who ride for venture, setups look like? Would be interesting.

Kader for example. Does he ride low or high ventures? I doubt he rides 14“ wheelbase too, like many say would be optimum with ventures. I don’t see any baker decks with a 14“ Wb, at least 8+.

He rides highs with risers to fit those big ol wheels. 58-60mm. I know he rides 8.5 decks now. So assuming the WB is at least 14.25, that's got to be one of the heaviest pop feeling setups ever. He's young though, and approaching his prime, taking full advantage of those legs before he gets old haha.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #2422 on: February 17, 2022, 07:47:51 AM »

The main reasoning in why most people say 14" wb is optimum with ventures because you'll get a better turn feeling (highly subjective btw lol), but also the wb combination would be similar to say indys on 14.25-14.5" wb. The change won't feel as drastic if you're on indy/aces and go to ventures paired with a shorter wb deck. I've ridden cast ventures on baker 8" (14.25" wb) a handful of times and didn't have any complaints, but I would still prefer a 14" wb lol

others feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've seen
Yuto: 5.2 cast los with bones bushings on 8" april (or the 8.125 that Shane rides)
Karl Watson: 5.2 cast his with bones bushings on 8" maxallure
Phillip Santosuosso: stock 5.6 cast his on 8" cash only
P.Rod: stock 5.6 cast his on 8.25" primitive
Dilo: stock 6.1 cast on almost 8.5" but I've seen him ride hollows too

I'm curious to know what Bobby Worrest, Will Marshall, and Vincent Touzery ride.
My guess is Bobby rides 5.2 his or 5.6 cast on 8.38 twin, Will rides 5.2 or 5.6, and Vince rides 5.6 or 5.8 cast

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #2423 on: February 17, 2022, 08:25:37 AM »

I think he rides the 8.475 shape that 75% of the rest of the baker/deathwish team ride, so 14.25 wheelbase.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #2424 on: February 17, 2022, 08:47:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I think he rides the 8.475 shape that 75% of the rest of the baker/deathwish team ride, so 14.25 wheelbase.

And no risers anymore, considering the footage from last year. So probably standard high cast 5.8s or 6.1s, as those were his pro model trucks...

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #2425 on: February 17, 2022, 10:33:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The main reasoning in why most people say 14" wb is optimum with ventures because you'll get a better turn feeling (highly subjective btw lol), but also the wb combination would be similar to say indys on 14.25-14.5" wb. The change won't feel as drastic if you're on indy/aces and go to ventures paired with a shorter wb deck. I've ridden cast ventures on baker 8" (14.25" wb) a handful of times and didn't have any complaints, but I would still prefer a 14" wb lol

others feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've seen
Yuto: 5.2 cast los with bones bushings on 8" april (or the 8.125 that Shane rides)
Karl Watson: 5.2 cast his with bones bushings on 8" maxallure
Phillip Santosuosso: stock 5.6 cast his on 8" cash only
P.Rod: stock 5.6 cast his on 8.25" primitive
Dilo: stock 6.1 cast on almost 8.5" but I've seen him ride hollows too

I'm curious to know what Bobby Worrest, Will Marshall, and Vincent Touzery ride.
My guess is Bobby rides 5.2 his or 5.6 cast on 8.38 twin, Will rides 5.2 or 5.6, and Vince rides 5.6 or 5.8 cast
Bobby rides 5.2 his on the ishod 8.3 twin tail.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2426 on: February 17, 2022, 11:49:53 AM »
I have asked Bobby and he told me both 5.6 and 5.8 on his twin tails, riding 5.8s before they made the 5.6. Karl rides an 8.25 with 5.2 or 5.6 Bones Medium or Hard, just got the Hi but was still using Lo for a while. Will Marshall skates for Thunder so presumably he rides nothing made by Venture. Gilbert is on 5.6 Hi. Kader rocks 6.1s on a Baker 8.5. Tim O'Connor 5.2 Hi, Gino has 5.2 Lo.

You don't have to ride Ventures with a short WB just like you don't have to ride Indy with a long one. Jordan Trahan is on Ace and skates a 14" WB and skates fast. Plenty of dudes on Venture are on 14.25-14.5. Just because a total effective WB you had on one setup was solid doesn't mean you can just get the same effective one on another by picking trucks. They will still pop a bit different, pinch different, turn different, and how you weight your board will change due to the differing responses.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #2427 on: February 17, 2022, 12:16:00 PM »
I have asked Bobby and he told me both 5.6 and 5.8 on his twin tails, riding 5.8s before they made the 5.6. Karl rides an 8.25 with 5.2 or 5.6 Bones Medium or Hard, just got the Hi but was still using Lo for a while. Will Marshall skates for Thunder so presumably he rides nothing made by Venture. Gilbert is on 5.6 Hi. Kader rocks 6.1s on a Baker 8.5. Tim O'Connor 5.2 Hi, Gino has 5.2 Lo.

You don't have to ride Ventures with a short WB just like you don't have to ride Indy with a long one. Jordan Trahan is on Ace and skates a 14" WB and skates fast. Plenty of dudes on Venture are on 14.25-14.5. Just because a total effective WB you had on one setup was solid doesn't mean you can just get the same effective one on another by picking trucks. They will still pop a bit different, pinch different, turn different, and how you weight your board will change due to the differing responses.

Will Marshall is following Venture and not Thunder, most of his recent footage has been on Ventures so it seems he made the switch not too long ago. You make some valid points though and I was just saying that the change wouldn't be as drastic if you try to maintain the total effective WB (it's definitely a good starting point when switching truck brands and feeling out the differences in turn, pinch and pop). Of course different trucks will always feel different regardless. At the end of the day, skate whatever works for you.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2428 on: February 17, 2022, 12:56:10 PM »
How many of these guys even know what wheelbase even is…..

Justrollingthru

« Reply #2429 on: February 17, 2022, 04:37:31 PM »
I just bought a pair of 5.6 vlights and without even thinking about it also copped some ace performance pivot cups.

Do y'all know if these cups will fit the ventures?

I'm seeing mixed messages. some say they will some say they won't.