Author Topic: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?  (Read 93700 times)

essal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
Re: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?
« Reply #180 on: March 12, 2020, 01:28:26 PM »
Norway had it's first death today, an elderly man. Total infected as of today is 621, of a population of roughly 5.36 million.

https://veritastv.org/programs/covid-19?fbclid=IwAR2KymuJ9ciMhDEq6j3ISEYxvrYoEmxVH29N9WFak5SYg4LFA34Af9sgMMQ
Very medically technical, but here is some interesting stuff about the virus. Better source than most of the memes, shitty facebook posts and fucking puleo.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 745
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #181 on: March 12, 2020, 01:34:21 PM »
The two venues I work at here in Portland just postponed all shows through April 8th. It's gonna be tough to pay rent next month.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #182 on: March 12, 2020, 01:40:33 PM »
Here in Berlin, on the surface, things seem pretty normal. Today I did go pick up a few groceries and out of curiosity walked down the toilet paper/lysol/hand sanitizer aisle and sure enough everything was gone.

Events with attendees over 500 or 1000 (depending on ventilation) have to be cancelled but in reality pretty much all events are being cancelled. Most of the clubs have said they'll be closed for the next 30 days.

Right now, I'm working as a developer for a travel industry company. We had an emergency meeting today about the  company having to apply for "Kurzarbeit". It's basically the company applying for government aid where they cut your hours in half, pay you half your wage, and the government pays for something like 20-30% of the other 50%. Company wide home office also starts on Monday for the forseeable future.

About two weeks ago, I put in my 2 weeks notice to accept another job teaching web development. Pretty fucked situation I've found myself in. Planning on calling the school tomorrow to see what's going on with them because I'm not meant to start until April.

Also bummed for my company because it's run by good people and I ended up quitting at such a shitty time. Someone even asked for the developers to please stick it out because they know we can find other jobs pretty easily despite this. Even for new hires / people still in probationary period they're not going to let them go.

I'd have been stoked on the working situation - doing home office and working half the time for 70-80% pay. Was meant to be working from home tomorrow but will probably still go in to say by to everyone. Shit just feels bummy.

I keep wondering if the virus is so serious in itself? It kind of seems like it's just been poor containment that allowed it to spread compared to it's predecessors. That and negligence of governments to recognize it. Singapore and Hong Kong have been revered as handling it the best and their right at it's origin's doorstep. They apparently sent out test kits to every hospital/doctor's office and started testing/quarantining immediately. Their first cases appeared soon after the virus appeared, they're smaller than Italy, and still they never had such an explosion of cases. Singapore even said all healthcare treatment related to Corona would be free.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #183 on: March 12, 2020, 01:50:25 PM »
I just watched my favorite Football team Eintracht Frankfurt play a Europe League match in an empty stadium. The visiting Team was from Basel, which is close to some areas with high Rates of infections. Surreal. There are some cases in my hometown. Five I think. I work at a school part time and they are currently disscussing Starting Spring Break early. That would suck because I would loose a Bunch of money. I am a Bit worried about my brother who is chronically ill and has gotten a lung transplant a few years Ago.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
  • tiger style
« Reply #184 on: March 12, 2020, 02:22:15 PM »
in austin we haven't been hit yet AFAWK but there are some cases in SA. they cancelled SWSX, UT is extending spring break and lots of places are doing forced WFH.

did anyone watch this joe rogan interview? pretty interesting and scary

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
« Reply #185 on: March 12, 2020, 03:33:30 PM »
in austin we haven't been hit yet AFAWK but there are some cases in SA. they cancelled SWSX, UT is extending spring break and lots of places are doing forced WFH.

Could’ve sworn someone reported to be getting checked for it in Austin? Hopefully not though...

It was up to 11 here in Houston that were under quarantine or being checked? one of the two. That number might've changed... and I did see the tidbit where that guy on JRE talked about how this is just the beginning stages... scary indeed
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

shitsandwich

• Rep: -54
« Reply #186 on: March 12, 2020, 04:02:08 PM »

Definitely scared the shit out of me.

I have friends who scoff at the legitimacy of this virus but I feel like thats pretty naive. I’m not saying it’s the end of the world but I feel like there should be some concern, right?

ColinYourAssOut

• Rep: 13
« Reply #187 on: March 12, 2020, 04:16:29 PM »

I have friends who scoff at the legitimacy of this virus but I feel like thats pretty naive. I’m not saying it’s the end of the world but I feel like there should be some concern, right?

Of course there should be concern even if it's something that will just give 99% of people a nasty flu for a week or two and then be done with it.  The flooding of hospitals and medical facilities means that the bulk of resources are going to be devoted toward COVID patients (at least, those who are deemed "in the range of saving" since it's likely that the older you are, the less likely you'll be prioritized), meaning fewer resources for medical staff and supplies to tend to other issues, not to mention, more and more physicians and nurses will inevitably contract it while handling patients which will further dwindle the remaining resources.  Not to mention, there's likely going to be a shitty situation in time of mass outbreak where, god forbid, you have a totally necessary medical emergency that requires hospitalization which will pretty much guarantee you'll be getting your own COVID once they've settled you in (being that hospitals, while sterile, tend to be breeding grounds for spreading viral infections like crazy).

Add in all the businesses that depend on high foot traffic as people begin to stay home are already feeling the pinch this early, if things continue to get exponentially worse in the next month and millions are home quarantined, there are going to be MANY stores and services that won't be able to weather the financial fallout and are going to end up closing and causing massive surges of unemployment in due time.

Then, of course, as international trade keeps being affected, there will be more shortages both on finished product we need coming into the USA, as well as many who need various parts fabricated elsewhere that may not be able to be allowed in for some time, which is going to hit manufacturing very hard as well.

There's just so much fragility due to our interconnectedness of how the world currently operates that there's no way this situation will NOT have devastating effects that we'll be dealing with for a long time to come.  It will be bad enough if this ends up being a single wave that dissipates by mid summer as could certainly happen, but it will be MUCH worse if there are mutations and the potential that has been discussed of having yearly COVID cycles that are entirely possible for time to come, as the cyclical disruption will force a LOT of change on each nation's self-sustainability, which is why I predict that the future means a lot less dependence on sourcing things from other nations and a potential return to much more being made here as was the case years ago.

Problem right now is, we simply don't have enough information to know how this will be in the coming months, it could either end up being bad, but something we will all recover from in due time, or, a literal world-changing event that forces us to re-evaluate how all of our systems operate from top to bottom.
You can't beat cheeks with weak meat.

froufroufox

• Rep: 30
« Reply #188 on: March 12, 2020, 04:22:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Of course there should be concern even if it's something that will just give 99% of people a nasty flu for a week or two and then be done with it.  The flooding of hospitals and medical facilities means that the bulk of resources are going to be devoted toward COVID patients (at least, those who are deemed "in the range of saving" since it's likely that the older you are, the less likely you'll be prioritized), meaning fewer resources for medical staff and supplies to tend to other issues, not to mention, more and more physicians and nurses will inevitably contract it while handling patients which will further dwindle the remaining resources.  Not to mention, there's likely going to be a shitty situation in time of mass outbreak where, god forbid, you have a totally necessary medical emergency that requires hospitalization which will pretty much guarantee you'll be getting your own COVID once they've settled you in (being that hospitals, while sterile, tend to be breeding grounds for spreading viral infections like crazy).

Add in all the businesses that depend on high foot traffic as people begin to stay home are already feeling the pinch this early, if things continue to get exponentially worse in the next month and millions are home quarantined, there are going to be MANY stores and services that won't be able to weather the financial fallout and are going to end up closing and causing massive surges of unemployment in due time.

Then, of course, as international trade keeps being affected, there will be more shortages both on finished product we need coming into the USA, as well as many who need various parts fabricated elsewhere that may not be able to be allowed in for some time, which is going to hit manufacturing very hard as well.

There's just so much fragility due to our interconnectedness of how the world currently operates that there's no way this situation will NOT have devastating effects that we'll be dealing with for a long time to come.  It will be bad enough if this ends up being a single wave that dissipates by mid summer as could certainly happen, but it will be MUCH worse if there are mutations and the potential that has been discussed of having yearly COVID cycles that are entirely possible for time to come, as the cyclical disruption will force a LOT of change on each nation's self-sustainability, which is why I predict that the future means a lot less dependence on sourcing things from other nations and a potential return to much more being made here as was the case years ago.

Problem right now is, we simply don't have enough information to know how this will be in the coming months, it could either end up being bad, but something we will all recover from in due time, or, a literal world-changing event that forces us to re-evaluate how all of our systems operate from top to bottom.

This was a well-written, scary read.

Got the official notice today that my company will be working from home for at least the next two weeks. Nearly every public event in CA (even smaller concerts) has been postponed, Disneyland closed. Ohio & Maryland are the first states to close all K-12 schools. I wonder when California will do that next, which will also place a huge strain on the workforce.

Banned from the room

« Reply #189 on: March 12, 2020, 04:24:39 PM »
Marblehead public schools cancelled indefinitely

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #190 on: March 12, 2020, 04:49:59 PM »
I’m still in Austin until tomorrow. I’m at a Whole Foods right now and it’s packed. We go back home to Corpus tomorrow, this week has been my wife’s college spring break but they sent an email today that they are getting next week off also because of Corona. I’m worried for my parents, my dad is 75 and gets sick pretty often. He def has some kind of immune compromise going on.

My sister in law works for HEB, a main Texas grocery chain, she got an email that all their employees, even part time, will still get paid if they have to close down the stores due to corona. That’s pretty great that they are doing that.

My boss sent out a text to all the employees at my work and said for part timers to make sure not to go over 25 hours and full timers not to go over 40, he said business has been drastically slower (I’ve been on vacation all week in Austin). But then he sent me a text to say that doesn’t apply to me and I can keep my 46 hours. So that’s good for me I guess.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #191 on: March 12, 2020, 04:59:00 PM »
Well, the university i'm at just closed on campus classes til april 17. 2 cases were just reported at the small local hospital as well. it's not public knowledge but my friend who works there told me.

my homie in seattle was walking down an alleyway last night and stopped by 4 dudes in hazmat suits who said "you can't be here"

i just hope y'all and your loved ones can be safe. on love. all love.
Support your local skate shop

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #192 on: March 12, 2020, 05:49:45 PM »
All San Francisco schools are closed for the next 3 weeks. Just when I thought it was dead today. It literally will be a ghost town downtown tomorrow.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #193 on: March 12, 2020, 05:56:06 PM »
Work offices closed until April 1. Work from home.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 312
« Reply #194 on: March 12, 2020, 06:03:53 PM »
Things are definitely getting weirder in Seattle. I guess they’re trying to push a whole lockdown type thing out here. I’m gunna try and grab whatevers left at the grocery store for non perishables. Kinda concerned on stupider things, like if im gunna run out of dog food. Maybe the pandemic will finally force me to quit smoking...

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #195 on: March 12, 2020, 06:07:36 PM »
i'm not too worried for the health of myself or a majority of y'all but I just hope the best for my grandma and all yall's elderly folks and those with respiratory illnesses. Shit is mad contagious and for some people it is really serious. Luckily the kids seem to be unfazed but unfortunately that means they are the best harbingers to spread the virus.

I hope the best for everybody. Stay safe and for God's sake prepare to quarantine yourself if you get sick. Make sure you are stocked up on the shit you will need to chill until you get better. Much love 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 06:12:55 PM by cricketclub »
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

Banned from the room

« Reply #196 on: March 12, 2020, 07:22:26 PM »
My father says it political. He showed me some right wing propaganda written like 7 years ago or something by this lady saying this would happen this year.

I told him about Akira and the Tokyo 2020 Olympics

ColinYourAssOut

« Reply #197 on: March 12, 2020, 07:35:51 PM »
My father says it political.

Don't kid yourselves that this won't be politicized endlessly by ghouls who are out to use misfortune for their gain.

There are people in power, or, fighting to gain power/wealth, who never, ever let a crisis go to waste for their own benefit.  The media, who just a week ago seemed to have little care about all of this, are now yelling about it from every possible angle and suddenly, out of seemingly nowhere, deciding that it's fine to use their resources to add to the mass panic over this are certainly not going to help anything.  Showcasing people going out of their minds buying everything that's not nailed down only makes more people worry and do the same, and they know this, but, it's not their concern about what hysteria they feed into as it's just another story to keep you coming back for more.  But then again, most of what passes for media is now just someone's personal mouthpiece for their own agenda (lookin' at you, Bezos, Carlos Slim and the rest of y'all).

So, while we all COULD likely be able to do our part to make this whole thing not be as bad as it can be, there are others out there who are intent on making sure this is going to be used to cause more and more panic when it may be far from warranted.  After all, there's someone out there who just made another billion dollars today on the market tanking, when you're vastly wealthy and can manipulate the system to your will, you have to expect that someone's going to take advantage of a situation like this with zero concern for anyone else's well-being, so long as it furthers their agenda.

lady fanny

• Rep: -52
« Reply #198 on: March 12, 2020, 07:37:35 PM »
state of emergency but it's still business as usual traffic-wise and for all intents and purposes. grocery stores are normal minus toilet paper aisle. some kids at the local high school are infected, schools closed for a day or 2. i'm more worried about martial law than some virus.
Lady Fanny from Omaha

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #199 on: March 12, 2020, 07:40:59 PM »
state of emergency but it's still business as usual traffic-wise and for all intents and purposes. grocery stores are normal minus toilet paper aisle. some kids at the local high school are infected, schools closed for a day or 2. i'm more worried about martial law than some virus.
For real. I wanted snacks for work from Walmart yesterday but it was such a cluster fuck I just looked around the aisles. Almost bought some ammo but was too tired to lookup the new law and what I would need to buy some. I got enough .22 though to stop someone from breaking in for my toilet paper.

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -2
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #200 on: March 12, 2020, 08:25:33 PM »
I work in a regional corporate office for one of the bigger insurance companies and they just shut it down. They didn't close for the blizzards where people couldn't make it out of their driveways or the floods last year. We're getting paid for it tho

Banned from the room

« Reply #201 on: March 12, 2020, 09:00:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Don't kid yourselves that this won't be politicized endlessly by ghouls who are out to use misfortune for their gain.

There are people in power, or, fighting to gain power/wealth, who never, ever let a crisis go to waste for their own benefit.  The media, who just a week ago seemed to have little care about all of this, are now yelling about it from every possible angle and suddenly, out of seemingly nowhere, deciding that it's fine to use their resources to add to the mass panic over this are certainly not going to help anything.  Showcasing people going out of their minds buying everything that's not nailed down only makes more people worry and do the same, and they know this, but, it's not their concern about what hysteria they feed into as it's just another story to keep you coming back for more.  But then again, most of what passes for media is now just someone's personal mouthpiece for their own agenda (lookin' at you, Bezos, Carlos Slim and the rest of y'all).

So, while we all COULD likely be able to do our part to make this whole thing not be as bad as it can be, there are others out there who are intent on making sure this is going to be used to cause more and more panic when it may be far from warranted.  After all, there's someone out there who just made another billion dollars today on the market tanking, when you're vastly wealthy and can manipulate the system to your will, you have to expect that someone's going to take advantage of a situation like this with zero concern for anyone else's well-being, so long as it furthers their agenda.

I understand that but I definitely don't believe this is a plot against trump like my Da.

ColinYourAssOut

« Reply #202 on: March 12, 2020, 09:27:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I understand that but I definitely don't believe this is a plot against trump like my Da.

I don't buy it's a conspiracy against him, rather, I just am watching things unfold where the media, who certainly has no love for the president, will certainly going to use every angle against him for this since they're very, very predictable in how they operate.   Had he closed down borders and travel sooner, the spin would have been that it was unfair to non-Americans or those who need to travel, and that he was going full dictator and needed to be stopped.  Doing whatever he's doing now, inevitably, the media will claim he needed to do more sooner and that everything bad that happens (which was inevitable anyway, there was no way we could have stopped this from eventually reaching our shores) is all his fault.

If there's one thing I actually trust less than our elected officials who constantly fuck us over, it's the sorry excuse for modern media that sadly, most people believe to still be some form of unbiased source of information rather than the jokeshop almost all major sources have devloved into in the past few decades.

And, as said, there are plenty of rich people getting richer on everyone's misfortune, who simply don't care about what happens to the general public so long as the consolidate more wealth and power at our expense.  They'd be happy to fuel panic and paranoia for their own gains no matter what damage is done.

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #203 on: March 12, 2020, 09:37:08 PM »
Live in Detroit, Michigan.

Michigan just got its first 2 confirmed cases on Tuesday, but overall things were still pretty chill and people seemed to view it as something that was still far away. Now, only 2 days later, we have received word that all universities are going online and schools are closing down for 3-4 weeks. The general consensus I'm seeing here now is people in shock. This just became real.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #204 on: March 12, 2020, 10:05:34 PM »
Things are definitely getting weirder in Seattle. I guess they’re trying to push a whole lockdown type thing out here. I’m gunna try and grab whatevers left at the grocery store for non perishables. Kinda concerned on stupider things, like if im gunna run out of dog food. Maybe the pandemic will finally force me to quit smoking...

buy bleach and vinegar for cleaning shit, homie. clorox wipes are mostly gone, but those other things are just as good if not better. Try to find a resturant supply store and buy 20lb bags of rice and beans and lentils.

One of my homies told me he was in an alley in seattle last night and some dudes in a hazmat suit told him to skeedadale. stay safe

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1506
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #205 on: March 12, 2020, 10:50:57 PM »
Called my mom and dad in Hawaii and told them about my plans to shut ourselves away until we've passed the incubation period whenever we get to visit.

They were in high spirits and lucky for me they really don't go anywhere except the beach to exercise and it's early in the morning when there isn't that many people. Their small group of friends have instituted the foot shake to greet each other.

They're both in their 70's and my mom has diabetes and asthma so I'm going to exercise extreme caution.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #206 on: March 12, 2020, 11:16:19 PM »
I don't believe what any doctor, politician, or even honest media outlet says about this virus. I'm waiting for an official statement from Bobby Puleo 

3+4+9-Wuhan+9/11=COV19

CORONA VIRUS

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #207 on: March 12, 2020, 11:21:58 PM »
Called my mom and dad in Hawaii and told them about my plans to shut ourselves away until we've passed the incubation period whenever we get to visit.

They were in high spirits and lucky for me they really don't go anywhere except the beach to exercise and it's early in the morning when there isn't that many people. Their small group of friends have instituted the foot shake to greet each other.

They're both in their 70's and my mom has diabetes and asthma so I'm going to exercise extreme caution.

yo brother, you've been on SLAP for a hot minute, i remember you when i posted under other names 10 or more years ago... I hope they're alright. And if i remember correctly, you were in the Navy, so i hope you're not quarantined on on some gnarly base right now. all love homie.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
« Reply #208 on: March 12, 2020, 11:34:01 PM »
I'm starting to a worry a bit more than I was a few weeks ago. Not so much about the virus and me, but how the hell the American health system can manage a ton of people who need assistance.

The shit going on in Italy is a little worrisome.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/who-gets-hospital-bed/607807/

Also, the advice for the public from the WHO is pretty reasonable/solid.
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 11:44:42 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #209 on: March 13, 2020, 12:57:58 AM »

The shit going on in Italy is a little worrisome.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/who-gets-hospital-bed/607807/

I live in Italy and work with 3 people who have family members who work in hospitals as nurses and doctors and I can assure you it's a fucking mess. It's true that the virus really only kills old people with existing conditions, and there are a lot of those here in Italy, but it also means that doctors are sending home cancer patients (another coworker has a boyfriend in intensive chemo now and he was forced to leave the hospital because he is "too healthy") who also need care.

One of the major reasons I moved here was for healthcare. I could never afford health insurance when I lived in the USA so I wanted to move to europe to see what it was like to not pay thousands of dollars for a single hospital visit. I broke my collar bone in the USA 2 years before I left and my bill was $7000+ which didn't include any surgery or physical therapy. A few xrays and face to face meetings with doctors. I broke my knee 2 years ago in Europe and paid €200 total. I spent a full night in a hospital in a major city. I rode in an ambulance. Everything. Crutches, drugs, follow-up visits, physical therapy, everything.

I hope the USA figures out a way to fight it. It might become rich vs. poor soon. If hospitals only have room for a few people, the rich people with the best healthcare plans will surely get priority.

Trust me, I see what's happening everyday here in Italy. It's fucked. Life will change after this. Italy will surely be suffering financially from this for a long time. All small retail businesses will probably go out of business. EVERYTHING IS CLOSED. We are still working because I work in a company that produces goods for export and we are not a retail space open to the public, but every day we're worried about closures. 1/3 of our staff is working from home now which is very difficult for us because our work requires heavy machinery. We've already moved some things into people's garages and luckily another employee ran her own factory from her home for years and still has all the equipment from then still.

Stay sharp everyone, especially those in the states who have an idiot as a president and who thinks $3000 for a test is affordable to everyone. There is a lot of "fake news" coming out of this, sure, but it's not a joke and everyone needs to stay smart.