Author Topic: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?  (Read 93449 times)

Cthulhu!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?
« Reply #390 on: March 17, 2020, 08:19:22 AM »
WELL it fucking happened you guys

I work for an airline/airport and last night we got our furlough letters. We are encouraged to go collect unemployment. Tonight we're having our last flight out but half of us are already staying home while a small team remains to see this one out. My capricious boss was in tears yesterday. Rumors of half the airport closing are floating around.

I was also with CDC and CBP agents attending some guy who started convulsing and vomiting. We almost ran out of the room when we saw him. Seizures aren't Corona symptoms right?

Now I don't have a job for the next month or so. I think. I have no idea. Even they don't know.

Banned from the room

« Reply #391 on: March 17, 2020, 08:28:53 AM »
Anyone else excited for the civil unrest that's about to smash into everything

This could be the time to restore balance to the force.

Anyone in nola want to help us get David Duke? That Fuckers ticket should have been punched in the 80s.

Fucking wamp rat

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
« Reply #392 on: March 17, 2020, 08:31:35 AM »

I work for an airline/airport and last night we got our furlough letters. We are encouraged to go collect unemployment. Tonight we're having our last flight out but half of us are already staying home while a small team remains to see this one out. My capricious boss was in tears yesterday. Rumors of half the airport closing are floating around.

I was also with CDC and CBP agents attending some guy who started convulsing and vomiting. We almost ran out of the room when we saw him. Seizures aren't Corona symptoms right?

Now I don't have a job for the next month or so. I think. I have no idea. Even they don't know.

Will you be getting your job back after this shit is over? If so, just collect unemployment and work under the table for extra cash.
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #393 on: March 17, 2020, 08:34:11 AM »

Oh, man. Sorry to hear that.

Things are looking grim for airline companies globally if government bailouts won't happen.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/16/business/airlines-bailouts/index.html

LemThurdy

• Rep: -15
« Reply #394 on: March 17, 2020, 08:50:08 AM »
I’m going nuts stuck at home with two kids and a wife. Wife has commandeered the TV room as her work from home office. Can’t just relax and watch tv. Gives me shit that I ought to be endlessly cleaning the house because she’s still working.

Kids are getting a full school day’s worth of assignments from their teachers and will not do any work unless I stand there and help/encourage/threaten. Different grades so completely different assignments.

Only on day 2 of this crap.

Just know your not in this alone mate. Sounds like my house lol

theSketchLord

• Rep: 42
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #395 on: March 17, 2020, 09:27:55 AM »
Adelaide seems pretty normal compared to you lot.
Been to  maybe 3 supermarkets in the last 48 hours just to grab a few things and aside from TP and sanitizer it was all there in most places. Even so I'm gonna roll past most mornings super early and grab some non perishables to build up the pantry.

I work nights at the hospital and so far they're talking about working from home (something I can't do apparently as I have no computer/net. Hopefully I end up just doing fuck all.

Grabbed another half an oz today to be sure.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #396 on: March 17, 2020, 09:30:48 AM »
Thank the gods for Florida:

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #397 on: March 17, 2020, 09:36:36 AM »
Yann got the pulse of Paris and Republique as usual.....

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #398 on: March 17, 2020, 09:42:46 AM »
Quebec City here.

Bars and restaurants and starting to close. Grocery stores are crowded, but nothing too crazy yet besides last Friday, people were going nuts with crazy lineups. We’re talking 300-400$ shopping carts. Other than that, it’s pretty chill and everything’s available.

Drove by the Costco the other day and the parking lot was fucking loaded, no way am I going there.

I still have my fulltime job (CNC Machinist in a factory), but upper management is having a bunch of meetings with the union about the current situation so I don’t know about the rest.

All the gyms and sports centres (includes indoor skateparks) and pools are closed. I went from doing jiu-jitsu 3-6x a week to nothing, i’m going nuts right now. I’m doing solo drills, movement drills, stretching and some kettlebell stuff at home (hate training at home). Also took out the ol’ stationary bike as well. Better than nothing. Had some warm weather during the weekend, so I got to skate outside, which was nice.

Other than that, my marijuana consumption has skyrocketed and I’m about to start a second play through of RDR2. Could be worse.

Local Premier was talking about perhaps having a curfew, which I think is dumb.

They’re predicting snow all weekend, guess I won’t be doing much.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 09:44:45 AM by TheBoognish »

Ghost Lurker

• Rep: 17
« Reply #399 on: March 17, 2020, 09:48:31 AM »
I’m going nuts stuck at home with two kids and a wife. Wife has commandeered the TV room as her work from home office. Can’t just relax and watch tv. Gives me shit that I ought to be endlessly cleaning the house because she’s still working.

Kids are getting a full school day’s worth of assignments from their teachers and will not do any work unless I stand there and help/encourage/threaten. Different grades so completely different assignments.

Only on day 2 of this crap.
My gf & I live in a one bedroom apt, she starts working from home tmrw, and my skateshop hours are in danger of being cut.

I jokingly said “we don’t get along just fine without the help of the corona virus” as a light hearted sarcasm joke, cus we fight a lot as it is, verbal only, non abusive on either end.

But yah I’m worried about how it’s gonna pan out once I don’t have money to pay rent at end of the month.

Thinking of maybe having to give my two months notice at our music prac room at the local DIY spot, having to bail here from the apartment, and go live in my parents basement in my Poler two man tent.

I can only imagine how it must be to be a homeless person right now, I send any Slap folks who are homeless or have homeless fam/friends my loving best wishes getting through this all right now.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #400 on: March 17, 2020, 10:41:33 AM »
UK finally did something yesterday. Started working from home today, at least I can do that instead of getting fired.
Going skateboarding instead of spending time commuting is rad but I doubt it will last long before lockdown. And yeah, weed.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #401 on: March 17, 2020, 11:07:27 AM »
Will you be getting your job back after this shit is over? If so, just collect unemployment and work under the table for extra cash.

We're not sure. The airline is telling upper management to go on unpaid leave for a mere two months. I'm only middle management, so they're still trying to figure that one out. Our employment status right now is under an approved "leave of absence" that according to them, means we can all happily go back to work when this mess sorts itself out. No timeline though. It was voluntary two days ago but now everyone is gone.

We are however getting some whispers about the airlines, using this as an excuse to clear out long time staff with higher paychecks so they can bring in younger employees with no seniority.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 314
« Reply #402 on: March 17, 2020, 11:07:46 AM »
Had knee surgery in December and had sinus surgery scheduled for next month on the 10th but not sure how that will go. Told my best friend I had feelings for her back in January and she’s yet to talk to me since. Only have 2 grams left, I’m just scared for my mental health if I can’t leave the house to buy some weed. My hometown in Peru has a case and now my grandpa has to stay in Lima which isn’t really any better.

lady fanny

• Rep: -52
« Reply #403 on: March 17, 2020, 11:32:55 AM »
it's like the 'Green New Deal' arrived 10 yrs ahead of time. not saying there is no virus but shutting down the economy is right out of Agenda 2030 [formerly agenda 21].
supposed to start a new job Monday, got pushed back indefinitely.
Lady Fanny from Omaha

LemThurdy

• Rep: -15
« Reply #404 on: March 17, 2020, 11:35:12 AM »
Thank the gods for Florida:

Dude , I saw this on news yesterday. I live 20 minutes south down the beach in Treasure Island and it’s a shit show. It’s like spring break still going on and the people from Disney came here too for vacation. I’m trying to work at home and skate a little flat ground for fresh air.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 11:36:57 AM by LemThurdy »

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #405 on: March 17, 2020, 11:59:07 AM »
The night Tom Hanks told us he has the coronavirus AND they put the NBA on hiatus, I said "F this" and bought over $700 worth of non-perishables at Vons, most of it on club price so I paid only $360.

Work is giving me the option to work from home, which I will probably take them up on.

Pretty much exactly what my girlfriend and I did, but even earlier than that. Pretty much when china went to shit. Luckily with her money since I'm a  broke bitch right now. Grabbed as much shit as we could. I didn't panic buy a bunch of nonsense but I sure as shit made sure we would be alright. The grocery stores were still stocked totally fine when I went. With just toilet paper and rice being mildly sparse but still around. I've also been generally prepping for years now so luckily I had a small advantage.

I really hope everyone can get what they need and will be alright. Despite some people talking shit online, I don't feel bad at all for buying as much food as I did. I have to put my girlfriend and myself above some random person and when I bought shit, there was still plenty.  The writing was on the wall weeks ago about this shit. If you had the money to get what you needed before the panic buying set in, I have a hard time feeling bad for you if you didn't.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #406 on: March 17, 2020, 12:09:55 PM »
So it’s day one of shelter in place order and i’m seeing more people out walking around then ever

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 16
« Reply #407 on: March 17, 2020, 12:10:15 PM »
Florida just closed all bars and nightclubs.

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #408 on: March 17, 2020, 12:10:42 PM »
Couldn't sleep last night so went on dawn patrol in my lil socal hicktown. Grocery store by me had a couple dozen ppl lined up in front. Store by the freeway had 1 lady sitting out front. Costco? Fuck! The line was over 100ft long and almost reached the back of the building. Traffic was nice, but eerie at the same time, freeway was actually moving!
Tried hitting up my skate spots and realized they're mostly medical offices or other businesses that are still open. Felt weird skating as ppl were showing up for work. But I'm feeling like it's my spot now so I clearcoated a couple parking blocks. My working off this flu joke bit me in the ass though, sweated up a storm and started wondering if this is what corona feels like? Have had a cough/cold for a month so I've been worried that I wouldn't know if I was actually getting sick.
Other than older family members getting sick my only real worry is that dispensaries could shut down. I should stock up like you guys.

While I was driving around I wondered if this could make some ppl move out of higher population areas. Fear of another pandemic could turn ppl into rural preppers.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1125
« Reply #409 on: March 17, 2020, 12:24:02 PM »
Expand Quote
The night Tom Hanks told us he has the coronavirus AND they put the NBA on hiatus, I said "F this" and bought over $700 worth of non-perishables at Vons, most of it on club price so I paid only $360.

Work is giving me the option to work from home, which I will probably take them up on.
[close]

Pretty much exactly what my girlfriend and I did, but even earlier than that. Pretty much when china went to shit. Luckily with her money since I'm a  broke bitch right now. Grabbed as much shit as we could. I didn't panic buy a bunch of nonsense but I sure as shit made sure we would be alright. The grocery stores were still stocked totally fine when I went. With just toilet paper and rice being mildly sparse but still around. I've also been generally prepping for years now so luckily I had a small advantage.

I really hope everyone can get what they need and will be alright. Despite some people talking shit online, I don't feel bad at all for buying as much food as I did. I have to put my girlfriend and myself above some random person and when I bought shit, there was still plenty.  The writing was on the wall weeks ago about this shit. If you had the money to get what you needed before the panic buying set in, I have a hard time feeling bad for you if you didn't.

The problem is that there are so many typical selfish Americans like yourself, complete with the "fuck you I got mine" attitude, that are hoarding resources.

But what else is there to expect from a country that tramples people to death over a 20% mark off on TV's during Black Friday. I'm truly disgusted by this country and our people right now and I'm sure the next couple weeks will be even more confirmation of those feelings.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #410 on: March 17, 2020, 12:27:55 PM »

That sucks about the furlough, sorry dude.

As for the seizures/vomiting. That sounds worse than the coronavirus. I read a few people experience nausea/vomiting, but I don't think these are common symptoms. The three key symptoms = fever, coughing, and shortness of breath (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/COVID19-symptoms.pdf)

I'm in Toronto now and Ford just shut down most of the businesses. Similar to LA, supermarkets open, restaurants are take out only, and all that. I'll get back to Quebec later this week. I worry I'm fucked because of all the idiots who are panic buying (drewsmahgoos) and my (new) home doesn't have a fridge or a stove yet. I'm just hoping all the panic buyers will sit in their bunkers and the stores will restock so I can do a normal grocery run.

Also, could anyone imagine if there was a contagious virus that had a super gnarly kill rate? Like if MERS was as contagious as this? Seriously, the CDC keeps telling us most people don't really have much to worry about and everyone is acting like this is some airborne ebola shit. Like, what is the actual threat to the food chain right now?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 12:39:13 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #411 on: March 17, 2020, 01:26:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The problem is that there are so many typical selfish Americans like yourself, complete with the "fuck you I got mine" attitude, that are hoarding resources.

But what else is there to expect from a country that tramples people to death over a 20% mark off on TV's during Black Friday. I'm truly disgusted by this country and our people right now and I'm sure the next couple weeks will be even more confirmation of those feelings.

Fuck man, I forgot to stock up on TP 2weeks ago when I went shopping and yesterday saw i was out....tried to get some today and every fucking store including 7-11 and liquor stores were ALL OUT of toilet paper, Fuck I just need 4 Rolls for the month....but there are still plenty of paper towels. ???

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #412 on: March 17, 2020, 01:33:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That sucks about the furlough, sorry dude.

As for the seizures/vomiting. That sounds worse than the coronavirus. I read a few people experience nausea/vomiting, but I don't think these are common symptoms. The three key symptoms = fever, coughing, and shortness of breath (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/COVID19-symptoms.pdf)

I'm in Toronto now and Ford just shut down most of the businesses. Similar to LA, supermarkets open, restaurants are take out only, and all that. I'll get back to Quebec later this week. I worry I'm fucked because of all the idiots who are panic buying (drewsmahgoos) and my (new) home doesn't have a fridge or a stove yet. I'm just hoping all the panic buyers will sit in their bunkers and the stores will restock so I can do a normal grocery run.

Also, could anyone imagine if there was a contagious virus that had a super gnarly kill rate? Like if MERS was as contagious as this? Seriously, the CDC keeps telling us most people don't really have much to worry about and everyone is acting like this is some airborne ebola shit. Like, what is the actual threat to the food chain right now?
60-80% of everyone catching it and missing work?
Farmers/ranchers, slaughterhouses, factories, truckers, grocers?

Cthulhu. What airline/airport? Don't think this has hit the news yet.

froufroufox

• Rep: 31
« Reply #413 on: March 17, 2020, 01:40:44 PM »
LA friends, I've been hearing that the mayor is going to be announcing a total quarantine/shutdown either tonight or tomorrow. Just a heads up. I'm from the Palm Springs area and I think I'm heading back to be with fam tonight. I don't really feel like being in a big city if things potentially get crazy.

I was trippin' on my lack of groceries, but I saw a post on Reddit saying the 365 Whole Foods in Silver Lake was chill and stocked with lots of stuff. Just went and can confirm! If any of you guys are near there, check it out.

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #414 on: March 17, 2020, 02:10:15 PM »
This shelter in place order for the Bay Area is weird. There’s still a lot of people out, people working. It’s just more mellow. I go back to work tomorrow to just process paperwork. No client interviews.

tobal

• Rep: -11
« Reply #415 on: March 17, 2020, 02:43:46 PM »
Whole world is shuttin down & under quarantine.
Be prepared & take care.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 02:51:36 PM by tobal »

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 738
« Reply #416 on: March 17, 2020, 02:50:39 PM »
I'm in Hamilton (an hour outside toronto),
my orthotics factory job seems unaffected for now but who knows what will happen in the following weeks. volume was slow after the holidays to begin with, and then picked up last week, some of our competitors have closed up, so we may also get some of their business potentially to keep things steady.
I have to take the bus to and from work so I've started wearing a face mask but no one else seems to do it other than a few makeshift scarf masks here and there. I guess the small-town mentality views it as a symbol for mainstream panic but I could give a shit right now.
Pretty lucky to have bought TP, paper towels and purell coincidentally right before this shit show happened, but as far as groceries, I've been stocking up on wraps, soups and president's choice udon noodles.
I've been somewhat of a loner/recluse for the past 5-7 years and right when this thing started I suddenly got a girlfriend, which has added an element of excitement to this otherwise dystopian nightmare. Hang in there pals!   

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1424
« Reply #417 on: March 17, 2020, 03:14:42 PM »
Domestic postal service is open in the states. Order your medicines from Canada if need be. I necessary learn to use TOR browser to get your medicines and all that jazz. all love
Support your local skate shop

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #418 on: March 17, 2020, 03:19:38 PM »

While I was driving around I wondered if this could make some ppl move out of higher population areas. Fear of another pandemic could turn ppl into rural preppers.

This thought has crossed my mind. I’d be a little less stressed out about this if I were in the boonies somewhere. If anything goes south I feel like the number of people here just make everything that much worse.

I’m a little worried about unrest if this goes beyond two weeks and even then I’m worried the economic engine won’t start right.

I’m only here for the Mexican, Vietnamese, and Middle Eastern food anyway.

I had a dream a month ago where I saw missiles launching out my window and I yelled at my wife “fill the tub!” like in The Road. Upon waking I was like “why do I live in a target rich environment? It’s not something that I lose a lot of sleep over but maybe it’s a valid question now that I’m too old for cool bars.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #419 on: March 17, 2020, 03:26:09 PM »

A virus that has a gnarly kill rate can‘t spread and travel very far.
If‘youre obvously sick within a few hours and death within 2-3 days it‘s easy to spot.
The problem is covid19 some people don‘t even appear sick. So stay home and don‘t go skate. Do you really want to be stuck in a hospital waiting room with a broken ellbow in days like these, probably Not
Even having insurance? Stay home!