Author Topic: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?  (Read 93405 times)

drewsmahgoos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Re: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?
« Reply #690 on: March 24, 2020, 03:42:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So what you’re saying is: the English were, and still are, at fault. Agreed.
[close]
cool victim blame, bro
[close]

Victims don’t try to colonize the planet.

Dont even bother with him bro. Dude is on a whole other level of stupidity. He literally said the British who colonized have been dead for centuries. Centuries. Like Iran and India and South Africa and the Falklands don't exist...

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #691 on: March 24, 2020, 03:45:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
cool victim blame, bro
[close]

[close]

Dont even bother with him bro. Dude is on a whole other level of stupidity. He literally said the British who colonized have been dead for centuries. Centuries. Like Iran and India and South Africa and the Falklands don't exist...

I know, I was just trying to have a bit of fun talking shit.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #692 on: March 24, 2020, 04:56:24 PM »
Apparently as of today in Australia we can only have 5 people attend weddings but 10 can attend a funeral.
Everyone needs to stay the fuck indoors but still go to school.

These rules are so arbitrary and unintelligent. Let's just say if it's a birthday party 15 people can attend... the reason doesn't change the underlying factor.

Here in Germany, the grocery store across the street from me was limiting how many people could go in at once but then once you were in, it's a free for all. No one's enforcing distancing rules, forcing you to sanitize your hands or wear a mask while shopping, the employees aren't wearing gloves, etc... And people are basically ass to mouth waiting in line out in the parking lot. Kind of defeats the purpose.  They quit after 2 or 3 days. The most concerning factor is that it seems to be singular grocery store managers making decisions on how to best handle things.

But to comment on the stay indoors thing, that doesn't actually solve the problem. Stay indoors until what? They have a vaccine? That won't be any time soon. There needs to be uniform procedures and public awareness on how to handle this. Staying indoors is a temporary solution to buy time. It flattens the curve in terms of spreading infection but we can't all work from home and stay indoors forever.

Staying the fuck back and keeping your physical distance - and not coughing on everything - is more important than "social distancing". That term's a misnomer. People are latching onto to this buzzword-y hashtag. Video chat and be "digtally" social as much as you want- it's not about socially isolating yourself. I'm convinced people don't know how to estimate 2 meters - 6 ft.

drewsmahgoos

« Reply #693 on: March 24, 2020, 05:02:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Apparently as of today in Australia we can only have 5 people attend weddings but 10 can attend a funeral.
[close]

These rules are so arbitrary and unintelligent. Let's just say if it's a birthday party 15 people can attend... the reason doesn't change the underlying factor.

Here in Germany, the grocery store across the street from me was limiting how many people could go in at once but then once you were in, it's a free for all. No one's enforcing distancing rules, forcing you to sanitize your hands or wear a mask while shopping, the employees aren't wearing gloves, etc... And people are basically ass to mouth waiting in line out in the parking lot. Kind of defeats the purpose.  They quit after 2 or 3 days. The most concerning factor is that it seems to be singular grocery store managers making decisions on how to best handle things.

But to comment on the stay indoors thing, that doesn't actually solve the problem. Stay indoors until what? They have a vaccine? That won't be any time soon. There needs to be uniform procedures and public awareness on how to handle this. Staying indoors is a temporary solution to buy time. It flattens the curve in terms of spreading infection but we can't all work from home and stay indoors forever.

Staying the fuck back and keeping your physical distance - and not coughing on everything - is more important than "social distancing". That term's a misnomer. People are latching onto to this buzzword-y hashtag. Video chat and be "digtally" social as much as you want- it's not about socially isolating yourself. I'm convinced people don't know how to estimate 2 meters - 6 ft.

It really doesn't make any sense right? Like how does limiting it to five people stop one of those five people from infecting the other four, each of them can then go to another party of five and then everyone is fucked. I get it might slow it down but you're right. Staying away from people is what needs to be done. Not limiting parties by arbitrary amounts.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
« Reply #694 on: March 24, 2020, 05:22:21 PM »
germs, like everything else, are grossed out by dead people

ColinYourAssOut

• Rep: 13
« Reply #695 on: March 24, 2020, 06:12:03 PM »
Pelosi has nothing to do with the situation.

As of yesterday, there were multiple outlets saying that she had likely sold off during the same time the others did, if that has changed in the past 24 hours, so be it, but even you acknowledge that people from both parties cashed in, so there you go.

As for the deal being shot down, we need a deal, but we def need a deal that actually helps workers. Shit, a free 1-2K check would be awesome for me and other people who are working from home, but I'd rather see an actual safety net for people who are getting wrecked by this.

Of course, I'd like to see a deal that's purely focused on helping the actual people/small businesses affected with minimal rider garbage attached.  No reason Carnival Cruises, who flies the flag of another nation in order to directly avoid paying US taxes on such vessels, should ever qualify.  However, adding in Green New Deal-esque riders as the only way they wanted to vote for this, it was fucking absurd.  Let the people suffer so we can posture more, hooray, give us donations and more votes this November!

I won't need that money until next year when I finally get laid off or the value of my home tanks.

So, fuck those in need now because you have more than they do  and can weather the storm better?  Interesting perspective.

Finally, when it comes enjoying other people's misery, no one liked the last recession more than Trump who bragged about all the money he could make.

There we go, the inherent bias of "my team is better than the other team" comes out again.   I swear, it's a compulsion with so many who can't make a post without having to slam Trump at every turn, it's making me question why I even bother discussing anything politics-wise here from time to time.

Not all politicians are equally shitty.

Find me one that's not. I've been waiting a long time, and still can't seem to locate this unicorn.

The idea all politics are corrupt and wrong leads to a simple faith the market will fix it all, which obviously isn't the case here.

Never said the market fixes everything, however, those in power really don't seem to be as concerned with our well being as they are their own at all times.  Hence my loathing of all politicians.  And, as I've noted here before, can someone please tell me WHY a senator who makes about $150-200k, a nice but not "rich"-tier salary, always ends up a multi-millionaire after just one or two terms (Bernie excluded, he's a fucking anomaly)?  I'm sure it's because they just make great investment pics without all that neat insider info, right?
You can't beat cheeks with weak meat.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #696 on: March 24, 2020, 06:44:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
cool victim blame, bro
[close]

[close]
who's colonizing? the English who colonized the world have been dead for centuries.

Your barbaric, colonial ways will no longer be tolerated, Limey tyrant.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #697 on: March 24, 2020, 07:44:12 PM »
Can we stop arguing with trolls and just get updates from people?
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

drewsmahgoos

« Reply #698 on: March 24, 2020, 07:53:13 PM »

Lol, yeah.

Everyone in my area are still acting like Its not a big deal. Walking around, not respecting rhe boundaries and whatnot. It's honestly really frustrating.

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #699 on: March 24, 2020, 08:26:02 PM »
Southern California, as of today  cops really started enforcing beach closures. Using a helicopter to spot surfers. Crazy times amigos.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #700 on: March 24, 2020, 08:33:18 PM »
I mentioned before about the lack of masks that we have all been hearing about. I have been getting 10 calls a day to quote materials to make masks in the US or MX but all I keep hearing is that my product is way too expensive. We, and others in the US PPE industry, have brought our margins down to near single digits, but our quotes are being compared to Chinese prices.

BTW—I have been told that the reason for the mask shortage is that China told 3M and other mask makers that they had to sell to China first. China stopped masks from being shipped due to their pandemic.

I keep hearing this price gouging bullshit but I can tell you that the companies I have spoken with are just trying to put together a US based supply chain w/o loosing money but we are being told that the products we are trying to put together should cost $0.80 per unit and we can only get a mask with visor down to $3.00.

I keep hearing that we are in desperate need of mask with 8-12 week lead-times but if government contractors won’t accept American prices I don’t know when doctors and nurses will have surgical masks. It’s very sad.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 08:35:34 PM by GardenSkater77 »

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #701 on: March 24, 2020, 08:39:10 PM »
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #702 on: March 24, 2020, 08:39:41 PM »
I mentioned before about the lack of masks that we have all been hearing about. I have been getting 10 calls a day to quote materials to make masks in the US or MX but all I keep hearing is that my product is way too expensive. We, and others in the US PPE industry, have brought our margins down to near single digits, but our quotes are being compared to Chinese prices.

BTW—I have been told that the reason for the mask shortage is that China told 3M and other mask makers that they had to sell to China first. China stopped masks from being shipped due to their pandemic.

I keep hearing this price gouging bullshit but I can tell you that the companies I have spoken with are just trying to put together a US based supply chain w/o loosing money but we are being told that the products we are trying to put together should cost $0.80 per unit and we can only get a mask with visor down to $3.00.

I keep hearing that we are in desperate need of mask with 8-12 week lead-times but if government contractors won’t accept American prices I don’t know when doctors and nurses will have surgical masks. It’s very sad.

Hold ya head up, bud
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

ColinYourAssOut

« Reply #703 on: March 24, 2020, 09:06:31 PM »

That sucks, even our own government now thinks that anything above cheap Chinese-made pricing is too much, what shitty irony after they drove most production of such things out of our own nation over the decades, it'd almost be funny if it weren't so tragic.

I had to buy a dozen masks for family and employees online from some dude who had a bunch and was charging $20 each for them.  Sucks, but it was the only option considering how hard they are to come by.  I want everyone I am responsible for to be able to have one if they need it. 

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #704 on: March 24, 2020, 10:25:46 PM »
I am so goddam jealous u live near a microcenter hot damn
It's pretty fucking sweet.

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #705 on: March 25, 2020, 12:47:18 AM »
Dems + Reps agreed on the bill tonight. What are you gonna spend your $1,200 on???

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • the moon rules
« Reply #706 on: March 25, 2020, 12:49:49 AM »
There’s food in the grocery stores again now that people aren’t allowed to completely wipe everything out. TP and clorox wipes are still sold out, but cleaning supplies are slowly starting to stay stocked. It’s getting quieter and quieter outside everyday and I’m seeing less and less people at the skatepark from my bedroom window. I really want to go out and skate because I’ll never have this much free time again, but at the same time I don’t want to be one the assholes that prolongs this. They say you can’t bank sleep hours in advance, but I’ve been trying to make big deposits anyways
fuck you bama

ColinYourAssOut

« Reply #707 on: March 25, 2020, 01:23:17 AM »
Dems + Reps agreed on the bill tonight. What are you gonna spend your $1,200 on???

Most likely a fucking vacation, as I expect that much like the last 2 weeks of being in my office/warehouse for 12+ hours/day with no days off, the next few will be the same, and I feel like lounging at a nice pool for a few days when this shit eventually starts to get under control.

excitableboy

• Rep: 93
« Reply #708 on: March 25, 2020, 02:56:11 AM »
Something I haven't heard much about is what an awful way it is to go. I don't mean to sound alarmist or anything, but few people seem to realize this. I didn't either, really. A distant acquaintance of mine lost a parent to this. They had the first mild symptoms (sore throat, no fever yet) on a Monday. Breathing was so impaired by Thursday, he lay on his stomach permanently. They called an ambulance at this point, who picked him up swiftly, no goodbyes. On Sunday he passed. No hospital visits, no funeral.

Also, and I wondered about this when Italy first quarantined its north (which we now suspect actually helped to expedite the spread) -- wouldn't a lockdown for the vulnerable make more sense? I figured, as no serious people suggested this, it would be too hard to enforce or just a dumb idea for other reasons. But some experts do advocate this approach still. Thoughts?
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/opinion/coronavirus-pandemic-social-distancing.html

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #709 on: March 25, 2020, 03:12:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So true. people are pigs usually, i hope people learn basic hygiene from this outbreak.
its not like we dont have seasonal viruses going around every year, i fucking had to argue with people for years on the bus to open a window in the winter when everyone is caughing and sneezing on it without even using their hand. people should know that they have to stay home when they are sick.

this outbreak also shows how media creates reality, i frequent a news outlet that is considered left wing (the gov is right wing as fuck right now and using this whole thing for political gain spreading panic) and they give out a lot of information about the public restrictions and the virus itself, and even though i work in a hospital, me and my family are not too stressed and we keep standard precautions and distance. meanwhile i have a friend in my home town thats a bit more right wing and frequents different news outlets than me and hes freaking out and barely left his home in weeks. until today it was allowed to go outside for unorganized sport activities like skating or running in group of 2, and i told him about it and he said he read in the news that its not true. i checked that website and they were super vague about the specifics and i can understand why he understood it like that.
i hope when this whole shit is over they hang everyone that gained from this crisis. fuck people. 

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #710 on: March 25, 2020, 06:06:18 AM »
I have to confront my boss every day about the pandemic and all he does is drag his feet and say we still have time and he is playing it by ear.

He's a smart Dutch dude who was concerned about COVID before ANYONE I know and had us stock up on supplies for the office back in late January. Yet now he's putting us at risk. To me that makes it even worse. I'm grateful to have income but fuck. One of our team members is at risk for sure. All I want is to be able to work from home.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #711 on: March 25, 2020, 06:12:03 AM »
Been trying to find Ramen Noodles. No luck.
I feel bad for my mom and her siblings for not being able to have a traditional viewing and funeral experience after my grandpa died a few days ago.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

drewsmahgoos

« Reply #712 on: March 25, 2020, 06:52:15 AM »
I feel bad for my mom and her siblings for not being able to have a traditional viewing and funeral experience after my grandpa died a few days ago.

Dude, don't get ramen. It has no nutritional value whatsoever. It's not a good food to stock up on. Rice and dried beans are so much better and when buying in bulk, absolutely cheaper. Quinoa is a good option. So are boxes of soup broth. You're way better off with chicken broth, bags of rice, any veggies you can get and some beans. Hell, you're better off just eating peanut butter out of the jar than buying ramen.

Ramen packets are the biggest cheap food rip off there is. Not a good meal to store, despite being cheap and easy to cook. They are way too high in sodium and have no nutrients whatsoever.

Source: lived off ramen in prison for a couple years. Not a good choice if there is literally any other option.

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa and your family not being able to have a proper send off. My condolences.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 06:54:56 AM by drewsmahgoos »

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 314
« Reply #713 on: March 25, 2020, 09:11:53 AM »
Condolences. My dads first cousin in intubated rn after getting the virus. She lives in Italy. Hang in there Italian pals.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #714 on: March 25, 2020, 09:20:02 AM »
where i live...

...i just took a break from preparing tonight's class on Zoom, to take the dog out back on a beautiful spring-like day, here at the end of what has been a long winter, and realized--in the warmth of the sun--how relieving it is to see how little shits everything else in Creation gives about what us humans are tussling with...

...for Mother Nature it's just business as usual, and it is a relief--spring is upon us (here in the midwest), sun was warm, wind was blowing, a couple of Robins were looking like they were about to get it on, etc.

hope everybody is good wherever you're at...

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #715 on: March 25, 2020, 09:26:50 AM »

Condolences to you and your family johnes. That is awful. These are hard times SLAP. I wish the best for everyone.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #716 on: March 25, 2020, 09:29:41 AM »

Yeah, my bad, sorry.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #717 on: March 25, 2020, 09:53:51 AM »

sorry to hear that and condolensces to you and the family.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
« Reply #718 on: March 25, 2020, 12:30:14 PM »
NYC is a ghost town. Might try and skate some spots this weekend. I know I should stay home buuuut it's tempting.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #719 on: March 25, 2020, 01:30:30 PM »
Some dumb bitch was at work all sick last week with cold symptoms. Once I noticed I stayed home for a few days. Today she’s back and I ask if she got tested and she was like “Nah I just had to calm myself down” same chick doesn’t think smoking weed can harm your kid if you do it while pregnant (don’t even start with me on that shit anybody).

Anyways she comes over and tells me someone has symptoms and is getting tested we might be exposed and I tell her to get away. I Lysol everything she touched. We’re closing down everything and already had plans to work from home starting today. Any mother fucker who came to work while sick needs a punch in the mouth.  I left early Wednesday and came back yesterday hoping the people coughing and shit went home by then. They will even pay you at my work if you run out of fucking sick/vacation hours to stay home. I’ll probably get this shit eventually but I’m beyond mad because of all the stupid shit they did after telling us the importance of keeping distance and shit. Won’t even reveal all the shit they were doing that I documented. Mother fuckers better pray 50mm is healthy and wealthy.