Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 344500 times)

modern life is war

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #1320 on: March 24, 2023, 09:05:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
GEF is basically the Forrest Gump of the skateboarding, rap and punk world of the 70's and 80's. The dude seemed to be everywhere all at once. Some of his opinions (especially of himself) are a bit over the top, but I also think that's part of his schtick. Take that part or leave it, but there's no denying his iconic photography. Anyone commenting "who" should do themselves a favor and look it up.
[close]
True. Like him or not, he definitely is responsible for some of the most iconic album covers. He may have more in his portfolio than anyone else.
Here are just a few:

[close]

I love when people have such hot takes on what it means to sell out or simply what's cool and what's not cool.

The dude hates Supreme and other corporate stuff because "some people you mentioned tonight, people work for the corporations and shit. That fucking suck. These people fucking commodify skateboarding, they destroy what we built."

The dude is also the same dude who has done a lot corporate work for bands:

Ice T - Rhyme Pays (Sire Records)
Public Enemy - Yo! Bum Rush the Show (Def Jam, Columbia Records)
Beastie Boys - Check Your Head (Grand Royal, Capitol Records)
Slick Rick - The Great Adventures of Slick Rick (Def Jam, Columbia Records)
King T - Act a Fool (Capitol Records)

But yeah he's still cool, even though he's an absolute hypocrite

[close]

"Corporate work for the bands"? Dude was friends with these people and did not charge anything up front. He took the photos because he wanted to and got paid way later. The shoots were not done in any kind of corporate setting/terms. How is that corporate? And why should he not be paid for his work on the cover of extremely iconic albums.
[close]

if you don’t understand how giving your photos to a media monopoly is selling to a corporation this conversation might be a little out of your depth
[close]

Lol how is it that you chose your username so perfectly?
[close]

gonna double down because i don’t like you - how is it you masquerade as mr. hardcore guy and don’t know about you are beneath me? SDF literally toured with MLIW

i dont give a shit about self defence family haha. i was saying you chose your username perfectly because all of your posts come off like a smug arrogant fuckwit.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #1321 on: March 24, 2023, 09:25:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
GEF is basically the Forrest Gump of the skateboarding, rap and punk world of the 70's and 80's. The dude seemed to be everywhere all at once. Some of his opinions (especially of himself) are a bit over the top, but I also think that's part of his schtick. Take that part or leave it, but there's no denying his iconic photography. Anyone commenting "who" should do themselves a favor and look it up.
[close]
True. Like him or not, he definitely is responsible for some of the most iconic album covers. He may have more in his portfolio than anyone else.
Here are just a few:

[close]

I love when people have such hot takes on what it means to sell out or simply what's cool and what's not cool.

The dude hates Supreme and other corporate stuff because "some people you mentioned tonight, people work for the corporations and shit. That fucking suck. These people fucking commodify skateboarding, they destroy what we built."

[close]

"Corporate work for the bands"? Dude was friends with these people and did not charge anything up front. He took the photos because he wanted to and got paid way later. The shoots were not done in any kind of corporate setting/terms. How is that corporate? And why should he not be paid for his work on the cover of extremely iconic albums.
[close]

if you don’t understand how giving your photos to a media monopoly is selling to a corporation this conversation might be a little out of your depth
[close]

Lol how is it that you chose your username so perfectly?
[close]

gonna double down because i don’t like you - how is it you masquerade as mr. hardcore guy and don’t know about you are beneath me? SDF literally toured with MLIW
[close]

i dont give a shit about self defence family haha. i was saying you chose your username perfectly because all of your posts come off like a smug arrogant fuckwit.

those are the three words i would use to describe myself

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #1322 on: March 24, 2023, 09:29:50 PM »
You guys know you know don’t have to keep quoting all those photos right?

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #1323 on: March 25, 2023, 08:38:22 AM »
All jokes aside, clearly GEF was criticising the  neo-liberal hyper-capitalistic nature of Supreme, not skateshop t shirt folders. Supreme are owned by a billion dollar venture capital group, who use the image of skateboarding to legitimise themselves in order to justify selling $80 t shirts and thousand dollar jackets. Tyshawn said it himself, he had to beg supreme to pay their team riders. They don’t care about skateboarders, they care about profits. A whole lot of taking, not a lot of giving. Atiba is sour because supreme is paying him money to take photos and give him free clothing. Is he defending an employer for doing the most basic thing ie paying him a wage to do his job?

Going to battle for billion dollar corporations… corny.

I know it is obnoxious to point this out over and over again, and it isn't meant and probably doesn't negate anything said here, but Supreme is owned by the same group that owns Vans. I wonder how Glen feels about people who support or work for Vans?
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

citycity

• Rep: -97
« Reply #1324 on: March 25, 2023, 09:05:06 AM »
I think this guy is obv a cool old head. But let’s be realistic. Dude is annoying and contrived as fuck. Don’t need to hear anything coming out his mouth. If I saw him in public I would slap his teeth.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 725
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1325 on: March 25, 2023, 09:32:11 AM »
Anyone post the old man yells at cloud old man Simpson pic yet?

Dude took some iconic photos for sure but that doesn’t mean he can’t also be a kook at the same time. really drove all that anti corporate fuck the government and homework energy home by wearing adidas.

Free max b
FREE MAX B

citycity

• Rep: -97
« Reply #1326 on: March 25, 2023, 12:04:55 PM »
This dude fucking sucks lmfao

7A3

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1327 on: March 25, 2023, 03:54:54 PM »
As someone who is 50, skateboarder and music lover it was fantastic to hear from him. To have the whole contexts of what life was like at the time this stuff was all coming out makes a difference, and it's embarrassing reading some of these takes.
 What a snore life would be if we all held the same views and tip toed around with a PC awareness because we're on some gay live stream. The stuff this guy captured and the reach he had pre-internet is incomparable. The point about record labels is a good one, I'd bet he'd agree that those five majors are leeches and they were getting paid to enable more work. But to dog on him for his age is really really gay. All of these streetwear brands, skate brands, street skating pioneers drew influence form this guy's work whether you like it or not. He gets a pass to call anything he wants corny imo.   

The Mexican Nancy Chin

• Rep: 116
« Reply #1328 on: March 25, 2023, 04:00:26 PM »
As someone who is 50, skateboarder and music lover it was fantastic to hear from him. To have the whole contexts of what life was like at the time this stuff was all coming out makes a difference, and it's embarrassing reading some of these takes.
 What a snore life would be if we all held the same views and tip toed around with a PC awareness because we're on some gay live stream. The stuff this guy captured and the reach he had pre-internet is incomparable. The point about record labels is a good one, I'd bet he'd agree that those five majors are leeches and they were getting paid to enable more work. But to dog on him for his age is really really gay. All of these streetwear brands, skate brands, street skating pioneers drew influence form this guy's work whether you like it or not. He gets a pass to call anything he wants corny imo.   
That's fine, maybe don't use gay as a derogatory term though?

TheWineClub

• Rep: 41
« Reply #1329 on: March 25, 2023, 04:09:12 PM »
I think BOS is kookin it by getting this butthurt about it

Pipe Dreamer

• Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often
« Reply #1330 on: March 25, 2023, 04:10:30 PM »
I like the bit where Glen got bullied and taxed for his fancy wheels by a bigger boy, the rest was high grade insufferable waffle.

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #1331 on: March 25, 2023, 04:18:46 PM »
Anyone who feels personally attacked by someone calling out Supreme is a fucking Kook.
Good to see them outing themselves, took a guy who was there since Day 1 to do it.
Smoking that Supreme pack.... fuuuck all the way off

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #1332 on: March 25, 2023, 04:39:30 PM »
Anyone who feels personally attacked by someone calling out Supreme is a fucking Kook.
Good to see them outing themselves, took a guy who was there since Day 1 to do it.
Smoking that Supreme pack.... fuuuck all the way off
Isn’t Supreme owned by a dude who doesn’t skate at all? James Jebbia or something? Supreme never was skater owned. The sad thing is kids these days probably think Dill or Strobeck own Supreme they’re clueless. Easy for Supreme to continue to make money off them.

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 44
  • Have fun out there
« Reply #1333 on: March 25, 2023, 04:41:14 PM »

Bruh imagine defending Supreme. Holy fuck

turbo 2.0

• Rep: 52
« Reply #1334 on: March 25, 2023, 04:53:19 PM »

EDIT: my bad dude you probably can’t read the text on that GIF
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 05:10:01 PM by lunchroom mania »

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1221
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1335 on: March 25, 2023, 05:31:13 PM »
BOS is an amazing crew, but all things considered you can’t tell me you never thought they didn’t take themselves a tad bit serious

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
« Reply #1336 on: March 25, 2023, 06:30:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Here are just a few:

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I was also very confused by KGB’s statement.

KGB do you not see an equivalence in this proposition?

Whether GEF used his art on his own terms or not, he still provided his photographs to enrich a corporation. It’s no secret that the music industry is one of the biggest corporate shills in terms of business enterprises. You think Capitol Records cares about the integrity of the artist if the bottom line isn’t being met.

I’m also not saying that signing to a big corporate record label is bad. It’s hard to be in a band and hell you have to make money off of your art someway to get by comfortably.

But for GEF to be so sour on corporate brands just because be doesn’t like them in skateboarding (as he wears Adidas). Is not only downright disingenuous but also super ignorant. Let that ego go and truly look in the mirror.

I’ll just say this, like what GEF said himself, if you’re selling out your a kook, fuck you. But if you got to feed your family I get it. Take the paycheck. LoL does that clear it up?

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #1337 on: March 25, 2023, 07:02:09 PM »

bos is based out of supreme la so i guess i kinda get it, but going to bat for your employer is lame as shit always. but maybe it’s that good of a gig? if i had to work at a shop i’d rather it be supreme than some core shit that couldn’t pay me.
ignoring glen’s personal beef with supreme and their encouragement of a really nasty form of consumerism through the weekly drop business model, i don’t really see how they are that bad for skateboarding, or deserve to be singled out as some unique evil among all the other shitty corpo megabrands in skateboarding. supreme supports skaters, enabling skaters to create “The Culture” that glen purports to be such a warrior for.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #1338 on: March 25, 2023, 07:09:58 PM »
what was that post from BOS, it’s since been taken down

screenshots, jerry, screenshots

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1119
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1339 on: March 25, 2023, 07:13:49 PM »

https://www.pinatafarm.com/memegenerator/47c50107-666f-4f4d-9e0d-e6dc112020ac

It was this meme but the guy in the corner was GEF saying “they don’t know I used to skate” and everyone at the party was wearing Supreme shirts. Didn’t catch the caption

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1340 on: March 25, 2023, 07:32:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

https://www.pinatafarm.com/memegenerator/47c50107-666f-4f4d-9e0d-e6dc112020ac

It was this meme but the guy in the corner was GEF saying “they don’t know I used to skate” and everyone at the party was wearing Supreme shirts. Didn’t catch the caption
They took the post down but still in their story if you wanna check it out

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #1341 on: March 25, 2023, 07:58:13 PM »

n0torious

• Rep: 153
« Reply #1342 on: March 25, 2023, 09:38:03 PM »
Seeing them get so bent out of shape proves Glen right. He's definitely pompous and full of himself, but Supreme has a raw nerve about this for a reason.

grandslam

• Rep: 46
« Reply #1343 on: March 25, 2023, 10:43:48 PM »
Seeing them get so bent out of shape proves Glen right. He's definitely pompous and full of himself, but Supreme has a raw nerve about this for a reason.

I hope it’s because of GEF’s pretty brazen hypocrisy and not because they are defending a brand.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 796
« Reply #1344 on: March 26, 2023, 01:18:28 AM »
When ever some one says "I used to skate" instantly cool guy them.

assyl fartrate

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1345 on: March 26, 2023, 03:18:09 AM »
gonna add a fun wrinkle to this: i take big corpo money to play music so this old fool and i have the same sins. one of us just fronts like we’re above folks while ignoring it

Wow, people must really envy you.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
« Reply #1346 on: March 26, 2023, 04:44:19 AM »
Anyone post the old man yells at cloud old man Simpson pic yet?

Dude took some iconic photos for sure but that doesn’t mean he can’t also be a kook at the same time. really drove all that anti corporate fuck the government and homework energy home by wearing adidas.

Did you miss the part at the beginning where he said himself that he is a kook?

Also I like how some of you are losing your shit because he's wearing Adidas. Adidas pays their riders well and makes gear for skateboarding. I was skating in the OG superstar, campus and stan smiths before they started making them even better to skate in. All they had to do was add a little cush to the originals, they already were pretty much perfect. Adidas has also always been a street wear brand since like Run DMC and the Beastie Boys made them popular. Are they corporate? Sure, but they also make some really well made gear. Does Supreme treat their sponsored people well? If getting free product is all your after then I guess they do. And what do you expect him to wear? Some home made shoes he glued together outta cork board?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 08:01:49 AM by KGB »

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #1347 on: March 26, 2023, 07:47:51 AM »
Gen X keeping it real is as contrived as their 'kids are now on living their phones, i was jumping flaming oil barrels on a bmx and my parents didn't know I was alive' memes. 

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1348 on: March 26, 2023, 10:23:36 AM »
Gen X keeping it real is as contrived as their 'kids are now on living their phones, i was jumping flaming oil barrels on a bmx and my parents didn't know I was alive' memes.
Glen X
ableSkateMag.com

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #1349 on: March 26, 2023, 11:04:30 AM »