Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 322431 times)

Free hat, BurntToast and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

versacekid420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1136
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #1230 on: March 20, 2023, 06:14:07 PM »
I like supreme but I love how much he hates it

RoughStylin

• Rep: 35
« Reply #1231 on: March 20, 2023, 06:19:35 PM »
This ep was a good departure from the normal nine club tediousness. Fluctuating quality aside, I have respect for the Nein Club on an output consistency level. They are near 7 years deep of publishing weekly longform podcasts, plus the other side shows. Roberts and Roger are undeniable workhorses.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #1232 on: March 20, 2023, 06:28:36 PM »
Love that he came in hot, shit all over them then just went for it.  Absolute legend.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1233 on: March 20, 2023, 07:03:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can you give a timestamp of when he starts talking about Supreme and Gonz?
[close]

at about 1:09:00
[close]

56 mins on the video
Damn that was a crazy, had to type it out.
"Because a lot of people don't fucking give a fuck. You see people these other photographers, some people you mentioned tonight, people work for the corporations and shit. That fucking suck. These people fucking commodify skateboarding, they destroy what we built. But I was one of the people that helped build some of this shit and you got this fucking shit ass brand that fucking boutiquified skateboarding. What you do? You fucking fold shirts you assholes. Fuck you. It's for real. And you know, people go out and buy this fucking brand when they steal all their credibility from our activity. Or even worse from celebrities. They put celebrities in their shirts and shit like that. I don't like to mention this scumbag brand by name. But you know..people work for them..you fuckin' ride for them..you're a fucking chump. You're a sucker, you don't know nothing about integrity. You don't know anything about keeping it real. I understand you have to make a living. But you have to find another way, because you're supporting the fucking devil. You're supporting some shit. People are stealing from our culture. Ohhh you're gonna build a ramp or fucking little shit. That's fucking penny's compared to what they get off those kids waiting in line like fucking suckers. Buying stupid shit. so they can fucking re-sell or whatever. They're creating little baby capitalist. It's all about money and you're fucking falling into that trap. That shit ass trap of fucking commodifying a culture that's so amazing so great and you're a fucking sucker. Sorry guys... "

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -512
« Reply #1234 on: March 20, 2023, 07:52:34 PM »
I like when people talk about how they were down with Supreme when it was just a little shop or whatever to justify being down with or sponsored by whatever it has become.
That’s not how shit works.  If your buddy gets bit by a zombie you gotta kill him cause he’s not your buddy anymore.  I don’t wanna hear about how he let you sleep on the couch when you were hard up back in the day, now he eats people, it doesn’t matter that you go way back.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1235 on: March 20, 2023, 10:33:45 PM »
i don’t know this one has me mixed up. i agree with the whole supreme take. i don’t agree with skateboarders making companies being considered capitalism, i agree that the ones that make gimmicky shit or mass sell to non skate affiliated stores and all of that are selling out. i do think there is an over saturation & that it’s a lot harder to keep up with brands nowadays much less identify with one being how many there are popping up daily. i also don’t think skateboard brands make skateboarding cool or what it is like he says but, i do think they help build an image for a brand which i’m sure he can date back to with dogtown or whatever brand he was excited about in his time. i understand his points sometimes in some degrees only being that he grew up in a different era that only had vision or this or that being his introduction to what skateboard brands are and not keeping up with the current, he listed nixon as a sponsor he doesn’t like as if it’s still mid 2000’s. it’s still similar and a lot of brands suck and are cashing in on skating although as we know some truly care about the product they make & the skateboarding community & he seems unwilling to accept that. if we started skating in the 70s before there were really sponsors besides the one we grew up with (dogtown for him) it would make more sense to us i’d imagine. it’s probably like an old man who got into early street racing only to see nascar take off with sponsors logos all over the cars/uniforms. he is a narcissist who seems out of date with accepting where things have progressed in terms of the one thing he loves (skateboarding) and has been apart of for a long time & i think more of us can relate to that than we would like to admit, i just don’t think i am as big of a fan of myself as he is. that said it’s sure a lot more interesting than a lot of their episodes so i listened.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #1236 on: March 21, 2023, 02:22:33 AM »
anyone who talks about Skateboarding Culture as some great sacred thing is a huge nerd.

rukes

• Rep: 211
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #1237 on: March 21, 2023, 05:03:28 AM »
Yoghurts got culture too, but you don't see some jazzed up acidophilus goin' all high and mighty over it? Do ya?
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #1238 on: March 21, 2023, 05:37:30 AM »
I don't think I've ever been more back and forth about a guest ever. He's stubborn and opinionated which I can't help but respect in that setting, even if a lot of that is just anger boomer rants.

I literally had to pause it at one point from laughing so hard. He's ranting about capitalism and how much brands actually contribute to skateboarding (neat, healthy debate) then in the heat of the moment he shouts out that "nothing is ever gonna stop Lance Mountain, me, or Tony Alva!", as if he is one of the three pillars of skateboarding.

Ultimately, I hate the aging mentality that any contribution to a culture make after them isn't significant, but I'd be lying if I said this episode didn't entertain me.

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
« Reply #1239 on: March 21, 2023, 05:52:09 AM »
hows this dudes viewpoints and opinions any different than Grossos?

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #1240 on: March 21, 2023, 05:56:36 AM »
hows this dudes viewpoints and opinions any different than Grossos?

What do you mean? Grosso had an entire show celebrating skateboarding's past, present and future. Yeah he was opinionated but was still excited about both the history and the current generation. According to Friedman any contribution to skateboarding past 1982 is "corny".

What a ridiculous question.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 06:06:12 AM by pizzafliptofakie »

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1241 on: March 21, 2023, 07:57:18 AM »
This episode was good. And I agree with just about everything he said. And he was the first one to call himself out as everything you guys described himself as. Gotta respect real. Dude has integrity.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 09:07:41 AM by KGB »

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

grandslam

• Rep: 40
« Reply #1242 on: March 21, 2023, 08:04:27 AM »
I love Friedman's photos, and I'm glad he contributed what he has - but the level of hypocrisy of what he constitutes as "whack" and what isn't is dizzying.

Dummklaus

• Rep: 44
« Reply #1243 on: March 21, 2023, 08:08:25 AM »
Dude has integrity.

and he made sure everybody knows that. and that he likes his photos/work. and that he hates supreme.

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 127
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #1244 on: March 21, 2023, 08:11:29 AM »
Glen E. Friedman's music photography is especially great. Iconic shit. I'm all for any outspoken, credible guest on the Nine Club that makes them uncomfortable.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -168
« Reply #1245 on: March 21, 2023, 08:23:04 AM »
This was episode was good. And I agree with just about everything he said. And he was the first one to call himself out as everything you guys described himself as. Gotta respect real. Dude has integrity.

"i pride my own integrity so much. i will not shoot bands or people that i don't like.  i have done it in the past and i will continue to do so from time to time, but only when and because they offer to pay a lot of money.  also, if you accept a lot of money to do something that you don't support you are a corny sell out. i will leave you with these three things: capitalism is bad, vote for bernie sanders, and buy my book you can get it on amazon"
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 10:31:47 AM by straight fucking edge »
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #1246 on: March 21, 2023, 09:29:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

56 mins on the video
[close]
"Because a lot of people don't fucking give a fuck. You see people these other photographers, some people you mentioned tonight, people work for the corporations and shit. That fucking suck. These people fucking commodify skateboarding, they destroy what we built. But I was one of the people that helped build some of this shit and you got this fucking shit ass brand that fucking boutiquified skateboarding. What you do? You fucking fold shirts you assholes. Fuck you. It's for real. And you know, people go out and buy this fucking brand when they steal all their credibility from our activity. Or even worse from celebrities. They put celebrities in their shirts and shit like that. I don't like to mention this scumbag brand by name. But you know..people work for them..you fuckin' ride for them..you're a fucking chump. You're a sucker, you don't know nothing about integrity. You don't know anything about keeping it real. I understand you have to make a living. But you have to find another way, because you're supporting the fucking devil. You're supporting some shit. People are stealing from our culture. Ohhh you're gonna build a ramp or fucking little shit. That's fucking penny's compared to what they get off those kids waiting in line like fucking suckers. Buying stupid shit. so they can fucking re-sell or whatever. They're creating little baby capitalist. It's all about money and you're fucking falling into that trap. That shit ass trap of fucking commodifying a culture that's so amazing so great and you're a fucking sucker. Sorry guys... "

Peak Gen X rantings.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #1247 on: March 21, 2023, 09:32:28 AM »
i don’t agree with skateboarders making companies being considered capitalism

It’s an objective fact that the skateboard industry is capitalist. It employs the capitalist mode of production, you don’t get to have an opinion about it.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1248 on: March 21, 2023, 10:32:09 AM »
It would be interesting if he was a photography teacher at a college now or even if the had a segment of him critiquing photos of even other skateboard photographers work. I could see him just hating everything to the point it'd be actually interesting.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
« Reply #1249 on: March 21, 2023, 10:42:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

56 mins on the video
[close]
[close]

Peak Gen X rantings.

haha.

While I tend to sympathize with his point of view to an extent... he needs to acknowledge that he was born in the right place at right time allowing him the privilege to be able to make a living out of what he does... others have to hustle differently...

he is correct in that, many don't know the line between making a living doing what you love and exploiting the shit of "the culture."

it is interesting who gets a pass in hs eyes though.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • And you better believe: they're ALL silk
« Reply #1250 on: March 21, 2023, 11:28:17 AM »
right at about 2:19:00 they didn't want FUCK to do with watching the trailer for his movie.  lmao

Glenny - internal dialogue: ":I'm the coolest guy in the room of course they would love to see my trailer"
Glenny - external dialogue:"ya guys got like 10 tvs in here" while looking around excitedly.

Entire 9 club staff, record label, crew: does nothing

Apparently no one has done anything meaningful since his hey day... he's become the grumpy old person those dudes were rebelling against but can't see it. I'm old also but can't stand this type of attitude.
I got beef with Brian sumner and it’s onsite for that fat fucking red coat.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #1251 on: March 21, 2023, 03:29:48 PM »
Crazy how he's talking about his friend's brother's band that he helped out a lot and they're like 'what was the band' and he's just like 'oh suicidal tendencies', it's like the opposite of name dropping.

Chris roberts was totally out of his league talking to glen friedman hah

He's got a huge ego and most of his opinions are pretty cringe but he was an awesome guest on the show. If crob and the others knew more about punk maybe they could start delving into the punk/skate connection more but I don't see it happening
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 08:19:23 PM by modern life is war »
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1252 on: March 21, 2023, 03:38:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

56 mins on the video
[close]

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 158
« Reply #1253 on: March 21, 2023, 03:40:08 PM »
That was really entertaining.  Love a straight shooter.  I love how he simply told them he wouldn’t wear their merch so didn’t wanna waste their time.  It’s impossible to critique capitalist behavior without seeming hypocritical since we all engage in that behavior, but I agree with a lot of what he’s saying about brands having too much power or sway over the everyday skaters’ experience

Salsa Verde

• Rep: 9
« Reply #1254 on: March 21, 2023, 04:29:13 PM »
I actually loved the nuclear rant about Supreme. He was going off so much I thought he was gonna start foaming at the mouth. Haha. Also thought it was funny that he fully backed it so much that he didn’t talk with Mark for years and refused to shoot Alex until he took the sticker off his board. Classic.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 04:41:07 PM by Salsa Verde »

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #1255 on: March 21, 2023, 04:50:00 PM »
That was really entertaining.  Love a straight shooter.  I love how he simply told them he wouldn’t wear their merch so didn’t wanna waste their time.  It’s impossible to critique capitalist behavior without seeming hypocritical since we all engage in that behavior, but I agree with a lot of what he’s saying about brands having too much power or sway over the everyday skaters’ experience

I loved when he started going in on Kelly on the whole idea of "branding" skateboarding.  when he said he felt sorry for Kelly's generation and fuck all these brands you could see the nice club getting uncomfortable

apport

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1256 on: March 21, 2023, 04:52:32 PM »
he kept alluding to supreme stealing from him, anyone know the story behind that?

Skateboard Shuffle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 136
« Reply #1257 on: March 21, 2023, 05:09:15 PM »
GEF is basically the Forrest Gump of the skateboarding, rap and punk world of the 70's and 80's. The dude seemed to be everywhere all at once. Some of his opinions (especially of himself) are a bit over the top, but I also think that's part of his schtick. Take that part or leave it, but there's no denying his iconic photography. Anyone commenting "who" should do themselves a favor and look it up.

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 448
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #1258 on: March 21, 2023, 05:38:30 PM »
Keep in mind that Glen Friedman doesn't consider 'modern' street skating to be actual skateboarding.
As quoted from him in his Fuck You Heroes book from 1994:
"Banks and pools are skateboarding, not handstands or kickflips."

Maybe he has changed his mind since then or was just referring to freestyle (but I think it was pretty clear in 1994 that a 'kickflip' was not just a freestyle trick).

My wife got to interview Stacy Peralta and Tony Alva in 2002 for her zine, Swashbuckler, when they were doing their press tour for the Dogtown documentary, and she brought this up. This is their response and I think of it every time I hear GEF ranting about something:

TA: Is that a quote of Glen Friedman?
Swashbuckler: Yeah.
TA: He can be a bit narrow minded. Glen is not a skateboarder - even though he dabbled in it. Glen is a photographer, first and foremost. And that's his opinion.
SP: He's never grinded a pool.
TA: Hahaha. Don't get us wrong, he's a good guy. We love him, but you know, he's a bit... opinionated.

EDIT: To be clear, I absolutely love his photography and own several of his books. Especially his skate photography, but his portraits as well.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #1259 on: March 21, 2023, 06:02:23 PM »

Expand Quote
TA: Is that a quote of Glen Friedman?
Swashbuckler: Yeah.
TA: He can be a bit narrow minded. Glen is not a skateboarder - even though he dabbled in it. Glen is a photographer, first and foremost. And that's his opinion.
SP: He's never grinded a pool.
TA: Hahaha. Don't get us wrong, he's a good guy. We love him, but you know, he's a bit... opinionated.
[close]

EDIT: To be clear, I absolutely love his photography and own several of his books. Especially his skate photography, but his portraits as well.

Damn that must have cut him deep to hear that from his best friends
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?