Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 367082 times)

quadcuff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -6
Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #210 on: November 10, 2020, 08:49:41 PM »
it's possible skaters just might not be the smartest people

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #211 on: November 10, 2020, 11:01:56 PM »
it's possible skaters just might not be the smartest people
"Skaters In Cars Getting Parking Tickets"

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #212 on: November 10, 2020, 11:23:11 PM »
I never watched it in the beginning but I watch it now & go in the chat & it's rad

It really fills my Transworld or Skateboarder mag days, never was a Thrasher dude intially
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #213 on: November 10, 2020, 11:37:14 PM »
The problem is he always says “Paul” when referring to P-Rod with a certain intonation that echoes “I’m his friend I know him” and that’s always going to rub me up the wrong way.

Dude...lol

Why do you care ?

He may well be mates with him too you never know.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

scary

• Rep: -7
« Reply #214 on: November 10, 2020, 11:38:53 PM »
my room mate is cousins with chris, i guess he is a real nice guy but i can't get this mf to get off warzone so its a tossup

lordrandall

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: -29
  • Your Uncles Favorite Uncle.
    • tokyo 19xx avatar image
« Reply #215 on: November 11, 2020, 01:14:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Took me awhile to put my finger on it.
They have let their “characters” become their identity. Nothing interesting, just bad acting.

I blame steezus, most inauthentic non-skater to infiltrate our beloved brotherhood.
[close]

this is half right in my opinion.

its not steezus by himself (i like steezus), its too many flavors on the plate. too many people jumping in, too many opinions,  the show is kind of mushy.  i don't really feel "connected" to them any more. i don't listen as hard anymore.  i like all of these guys individually but together its too much.  the show is cluttered and the episodes blend together.   

the trinity of CRob as a guiding star, Rog as the grounded straight-man, and kelly as the feelgood relief was perfect. the balance was great. the flavors were sharp.  it was easy to understood their relationships and opinions.  they each had there very distinct personalities and it was easy to learn which voice to follow.   

adding LD  to the second show worked because he's really good at understanding when less is more.  he knew when to fall back, and how to let the show flow around him.  he was very defined and complemented the others. 

putting on steezus on when LD wasn't there was great.   it felt fresh and new.  He was a nice funny surprise.  Very different than LD but great in his own way,  unlike LD he moved the flow of the show, kept it feeling sharp.  Steezus was also great at pushing the show to be more "professional" and engaging the fans and egging on fan contributions. he added real value. I credit him with pushing the "second" show past the main show in content quality.    However adding Steezus full time made the mic a little crowded.  it was hard to know whose voice to follow.  there was a lot of voices being pushed down. a lot of half finished sentences.  there was less opportunity to build a para-social relationship with the people you were listening to (which is where the show excelled the most ) but the show was still working and working very well. 

When Jeron started filling in as a guest host, it was a cool surprise and didn't disrupt too much because it was still 4. Jerons episodes were like a "special adventure episode" .  you were being introduced to your friends' friend and that was cool.  it was a nice break from the regularity and it was manageable.   Adding him full time though made the issue of overcrowding into a real problem.  it completely drowned one of the most valued voices out of the equation.  No ones voice could come to the surface.  It no longer feels like Chris' show.  it no longer had direction and personality.    its just a "bunch of dudes hanging out" which sounds great in concept-- but doesn't make for compelling listening.  on top of that  Jeron bridges all the personalities together too closely.  he lessens the separation between the voices and opinions which makes it even more mushy.   

the other issue is that the bunt is getting better and better and better.  this season of the bunt is by far the most listenable season to date. the voices are crisp, the separation of personality is clear,  Cephas and Donovan are flowing together cleaner than ever, the pacing is perfect. They never step on each other.  they are bringing out the best in each other.  that show is a sauce that's simmered and reduced down to perfection. its flavor is so clear.   with the bunt growing up and improving so dramatically its hard not to notice the issues the 9club is having.

when the show first started i was a fan.  a big fan.  i was a patreon member, i bought the merch. it was first priority podcast when episodes came out.  i 'engaged" with the show.  i looked forward to new episodes.  i slowly fell off right around the time Jaron was coming on as a regular because i don't feel like i'm missing anything if i miss a show or two.   I'm still a fan and i think the show will continue to be one of the marquee skateboarding podcasts for years to come.  i'm absolutely not saying "fire everyone" and go back... but i am hoping that once the lock down ends Chris will do a main show with just the trinity and play with with substitutes and line ups for the second show.  Maybe make the big get together a once a month thing and rotate out one or two of the other 3 every week.

Damn dude, you fucking nailed it. Also sounds like I need to finally check out the Bunt. I listen to a TON of podcasts during work. So I'm always on the hunt for more.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #216 on: November 11, 2020, 05:16:59 AM »
I thought the Dustin Dillon episode was incredibly entertaining. Crob looked so nervous whenever he was about to say something edgy and Rog was just sitting there like “this is so fucking great.”

Banned from the room

« Reply #217 on: November 11, 2020, 06:46:42 AM »
I'm making an el deez pick of the week song in a style no one's touching.

You will definitely know it's me when (if) you hear it even if you haven't heard me croon before

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #218 on: November 11, 2020, 07:35:29 AM »
Expand Quote
They have let their “characters” become their identity. Nothing interesting, just bad acting.

I blame steezus, most inauthentic non-skater to infiltrate our beloved brotherhood.
[close]

its not steezus by himself (i like steezus), its too many flavors on the plate. too many people jumping in, too many opinions,  the show is kind of mushy.  i don't really feel "connected" to them any more. i don't listen as hard anymore.  i like all of these guys individually but together its too much.  the show is cluttered and the episodes blend together.   

the trinity of CRob as a guiding star, Rog as the grounded straight-man, and kelly as the feelgood relief was perfect. the balance was great. the flavors were sharp.  it was easy to understood their relationships and opinions.  they each had there very distinct personalities and it was easy to learn which voice to follow.   

adding LD  to the second show worked because he's really good at understanding when less is more.  he knew when to fall back, and how to let the show flow around him.  he was very defined and complemented the others. 

putting on steezus on when LD wasn't there was great.   it felt fresh and new.  He was a nice funny surprise.  Very different than LD but great in his own way,  unlike LD he moved the flow of the show, kept it feeling sharp.  Steezus was also great at pushing the show to be more "professional" and engaging the fans and egging on fan contributions. he added real value. I credit him with pushing the "second" show past the main show in content quality.    However adding Steezus full time made the mic a little crowded.  it was hard to know whose voice to follow.  there was a lot of voices being pushed down. a lot of half finished sentences.  there was less opportunity to build a para-social relationship with the people you were listening to (which is where the show excelled the most ) but the show was still working and working very well. 

When Jeron started filling in as a guest host, it was a cool surprise and didn't disrupt too much because it was still 4. Jerons episodes were like a "special adventure episode" .  you were being introduced to your friends' friend and that was cool.  it was a nice break from the regularity and it was manageable.   Adding him full time though made the issue of overcrowding into a real problem.  it completely drowned one of the most valued voices out of the equation.  No ones voice could come to the surface.  It no longer feels like Chris' show.  it no longer had direction and personality.    its just a "bunch of dudes hanging out" which sounds great in concept-- but doesn't make for compelling listening.  on top of that  Jeron bridges all the personalities together too closely.  he lessens the separation between the voices and opinions which makes it even more mushy.   

the other issue is that the bunt is getting better and better and better.  this season of the bunt is by far the most listenable season to date. the voices are crisp, the separation of personality is clear,  Cephas and Donovan are flowing together cleaner than ever, the pacing is perfect. They never step on each other.  they are bringing out the best in each other.  that show is a sauce that's simmered and reduced down to perfection. its flavor is so clear.   with the bunt growing up and improving so dramatically its hard not to notice the issues the 9club is having.

when the show first started i was a fan.  a big fan.  i was a patreon member, i bought the merch. it was first priority podcast when episodes came out.  i 'engaged" with the show.  i looked forward to new episodes.  i slowly fell off right around the time Jaron was coming on as a regular because i don't feel like i'm missing anything if i miss a show or two.   I'm still a fan and i think the show will continue to be one of the marquee skateboarding podcasts for years to come.  i'm absolutely not saying "fire everyone" and go back... but i am hoping that once the lock down ends Chris will do a main show with just the trinity and play with with substitutes and line ups for the second show.  Maybe make the big get together a once a month thing and rotate out one or two of the other 3 every week.

You had me going until the bolded. Good job.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
« Reply #219 on: November 11, 2020, 08:54:17 AM »

You will definitely know it's me when (if) you hear it even if you haven't heard me croon before

are you doing a hardcore version? Cuz I've thought about doing that for awhile, haha

Banned from the room

« Reply #220 on: November 11, 2020, 09:06:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

are you doing a hardcore version? Cuz I've thought about doing that for awhile, haha

Full 2 stepping intro

Agnostic front ish

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #221 on: November 11, 2020, 09:26:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

You had me going until the bolded. Good job.

heather grey crew neck.  loved it but i accidently shrank it in the dryer. 
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #222 on: November 26, 2020, 09:38:07 AM »
It’s not that deep.

9 club represents a SoCal “skate industry” perspective. They’re kooky and cliquey and corporate, and they’re mainly oriented towards appeasing sponsors, staying on the good side of the “right people,” etc.

And their brains have been melted from too much sunshine. And they have that classic SoCal passive aggression where even if they’re seething with contempt they will try to act like everything’s cool.

But that doesn’t mean it’s terrible. It’s just like tuning into any corporate/establishment media source— kinda vanilla. Gotta take it with a grain of salt.

The Bunt is more “authentic,” just like other non-SoCal skate media is more authentic. Jenkem, Quartersnacks, Village Psychic... they’re all a bit more free to say what they want because they have less riding on industry hobknobbing. Fancy Lad Podcast is maybe the ultimate in not giving a fuck about the industry, even if I find it kinda difficult to listen to.

Anyway I guess my point is that the Nine Club is basically corporate media, which has its pros and it’s cons, but there are plenty of alternatives if you don’t like it.

Banned from the room

« Reply #223 on: November 26, 2020, 09:43:49 AM »
Making an el dees pick of the week song in non hip-hop styles is very difficult.

I really really like El Dee so I'm going to keep cracking at it.

Also I feel like Crob frickin hates me. I think he hates you. That dude is wicked full of hate. Someone go suck the hate out of him.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #224 on: November 26, 2020, 10:00:30 AM »
The conversation with tony ferguson about his different clips on his last episode was amazing. Especially when Jeron talked about crying. They are at their best when interviewing old LA heads.

I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

michael scarn

« Reply #225 on: November 26, 2020, 10:03:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Damn dude, you fucking nailed it. Also sounds like I need to finally check out the Bunt. I listen to a TON of podcasts during work. So I'm always on the hunt for more.

The bunt is the best. They actually ask meaningful questions instead of just sucking the industries dick all the time.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 57
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #226 on: November 26, 2020, 11:37:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

The bunt is the best. They actually ask meaningful questions instead of just sucking the industries dick all the time.

They get some juicy questions from the interviewees mates too. Makes for a unique listen, no pre-thought-up stories in the same old structure, it's great.  Although I don't listen enough that I can actually tell the difference between the 2 hosts yet, maybe I just don't grasp the accents yet, definitely don't fully grasp the slang yet either, ya dig haha - is it serious or not serious?

Ishaboi

• Rep: -1
« Reply #227 on: November 26, 2020, 11:47:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Would highly recommend the Mostly Skateboarding podcast if you’re in search of fresh material.

TheFandangler

• Rep: 15
« Reply #228 on: November 26, 2020, 12:16:42 PM »
I never watched it in the beginning but I watch it now & go in the chat & it's rad

It really fills my Transworld or Skateboarder mag days, never was a Thrasher dude intially

This explains a lot.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #229 on: November 26, 2020, 12:23:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Would highly recommend the Mostly Skateboarding podcast if you’re in search of fresh material.

Highly recommend Mostly Skateboarding. They’re very nerdy and have a different vibe that’s worth checking. They just dropped an episode today with Greg Hunt.

DaleCooper

• Rep: 4
« Reply #230 on: November 26, 2020, 05:49:30 PM »
Making an el dees pick of the week song in non hip-hop styles is very difficult.

I really really like El Dee so I'm going to keep cracking at it.

Also I feel like Crob frickin hates me. I think he hates you. That dude is wicked full of hate. Someone go suck the hate out of him.

Please just rip off a Bolt Thrower song. I always imagine them getting a crusty D-beat song and just immediately putting it in the recycle bin. Good luck!

Ilya Oblomov

• Rep: 14
« Reply #231 on: November 26, 2020, 06:12:42 PM »
Rewatching the Sinclair episodes. He's the best guest IMHO. Funny stories, great sense of humor, and no shame.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #232 on: November 26, 2020, 11:10:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

MVP rises once again. Will look into.

[close]

[close]

[close]

Highly recommend Mostly Skateboarding. They’re very nerdy and have a different vibe that’s worth checking. They just dropped an episode today with Greg Hunt.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #233 on: November 26, 2020, 11:12:13 PM »
The conversation with tony ferguson about his different clips on his last episode was amazing. Especially when Jeron talked about crying. They are at their best when interviewing old LA heads.

Just listened to this today, really enjoyed it, Jeron saying he shed a tear and went out and got it for his next part in Skate more was sick

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 89
« Reply #234 on: November 27, 2020, 09:48:41 AM »

Wonder what happened there. He has replied to a few of my comments and was always polite to me.

TheDingus

« Reply #235 on: November 27, 2020, 10:11:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Crob is a nice dude. They all are. Even Roger.
Wonder what happened there. He has replied to a few of my comments and was always polite to me.

ThisFuckingDude

• Rep: -16
« Reply #236 on: November 27, 2020, 10:39:02 AM »
Expand Quote
I really enjoyed this episode. Him and Jeron reminiscing about old times was awesome. I 100% agree with them with the retirement part vibes too. Fuck Ty Evans.

[close]

Just listened to this today, really enjoyed it, Jeron saying he shed a tear and went out and got it for his next part in Skate more was sick

B. Hopper

• Rep: 3
« Reply #237 on: November 27, 2020, 10:58:46 AM »
You need to talk to a manager Karen.
44 years young. Skatin' since '80. Take yours slams, get up smiling, say #thankyouskateboarding, and get back up and do it again. Because FUN.

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #238 on: November 27, 2020, 12:07:33 PM »
At this point "The Bunt" is a much more superior skateboard podcast, The Nine Club already is starting to feel bland

trashparty

« Reply #239 on: November 27, 2020, 12:58:07 PM »
imagine watching the nine club, and thinking its cool

smh.