Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 367171 times)

Miller92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -282
Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #480 on: May 17, 2021, 01:37:37 PM »
Expand Quote
I love how the Nine Club has been on for half a decade and

a) People still complain that the show is scared to ask the real questions;

b) People still complain that La Crob doesn't do any research beforehand and

c) La Crob still doesn't do any research beforehand.
[close]

its literally the same show its always been.  if anything you could bitch the opposite.  its never changed...

Just goes to show how shit it is and it’s gotten worse over the years

TheDingus

« Reply #481 on: May 17, 2021, 02:18:05 PM »
Do you guys watch because you hate it? You must watch it to know if they are still doing the same stuff, right? I enjoy it. The bunt dudes just sound like some suburban nerds trying to sound hard.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #482 on: May 17, 2021, 02:23:32 PM »
Do you guys watch because you hate it? You must watch it to know if they are still doing the same stuff, right? I enjoy it. The bunt dudes just sound like some suburban nerds trying to sound hard.

They are and that’s why we love them

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 407
« Reply #483 on: May 17, 2021, 04:06:59 PM »
You know what podcast is underrated?
Mission statement.

Love Lee, he’s a pretty solid host.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #484 on: May 17, 2021, 04:15:11 PM »
You know what podcast is underrated?
Mission statement.

Love Lee, he’s a pretty solid host.

I really like that one actually, just wish they adhered to some sort of schedule. Still a nice surprise when they come out and I like the intro beat haha

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #485 on: May 17, 2021, 04:33:57 PM »
I got 3 questions: whatever happened to these skate podcasts that I used to listen to religiously, I still listen to the Bunt whenever a new episode drops.

1. The Tim O' Connor show?

2.  Thrill of it All with Jamie Thomas?

3. Thrasher Radio?

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 402
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #486 on: May 17, 2021, 04:40:29 PM »
I got 3 questions: whatever happened to these skate podcasts that I used to listen to religiously, I still listen to the Bunt whenever a new episode drops.

3. Thrasher Radio?
. Surely the Andy Roy one is still going.

manysnakes

« Reply #487 on: May 17, 2021, 04:51:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
yeah i mean IF they payed him, cool. Action Bronson was 95% of the network at one point and he wasnt getting paid. even if they did pay rick it was likely a fraction of what hes owed. Vice cannot continue without tons of interns doing work for free bc theyve been convinced it will "get them exposure." and idk if you ever watched it, but that show fucking sucked. tons of potential but vice managed to fuck it up, the one episode with the kids who think they are ghost hunters was like watching someone larping out a southpark scene making fun of ghosthunter shows. even mccrank was making jokes about them being weirdo spacecase foodcourt kooks, and that dudes the most PMA out.

dont remember where i read it, but basically mccranks take on the whole thing was that vice pitched it like a "traveling around the states to skate" but what it turned into was meeting up with kids who really miss specific foodcourts, and theye not joking.

Also: how is it possible to have literal days worth of footage of gerwer in a car making jokes telling stories with rick, and make it not good.  howd they even do that? show sucks vice sucks mccrank and gerwer rule

free max b
[close]

Amazing that Vice is having trouble paying people considering how high the CIA’s overall budget runs.
[close]

What’s this Vice/CIA stuff? Are vice reporters just CIA operatives or something? I’m interested.
[close]
vice has a history of falling in line on certain issues despite playing the rebel. the fact that the proudboys trace back to it is odd and then there's also the drug smuggling ring

Yeah, basically this. I don’t think they’re so well connected these days, but during the Obama administration, there definitely seemed to be direct pipeline from the CIA/naval intelligence and the state department to what Vice was reporting on. Same thing was true at the Daily Beast. Of course, it’s next to impossible to prove these things, because obviously they’re working in shadows, but I gotta say, a Vice founder starting the Proud Boys only for the Proud Boys to become a cutout of the FBI was also a little much.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1347
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #488 on: May 17, 2021, 11:28:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
yeah i mean IF they payed him, cool. Action Bronson was 95% of the network at one point and he wasnt getting paid. even if they did pay rick it was likely a fraction of what hes owed. Vice cannot continue without tons of interns doing work for free bc theyve been convinced it will "get them exposure." and idk if you ever watched it, but that show fucking sucked. tons of potential but vice managed to fuck it up, the one episode with the kids who think they are ghost hunters was like watching someone larping out a southpark scene making fun of ghosthunter shows. even mccrank was making jokes about them being weirdo spacecase foodcourt kooks, and that dudes the most PMA out.

dont remember where i read it, but basically mccranks take on the whole thing was that vice pitched it like a "traveling around the states to skate" but what it turned into was meeting up with kids who really miss specific foodcourts, and theye not joking.

Also: how is it possible to have literal days worth of footage of gerwer in a car making jokes telling stories with rick, and make it not good.  howd they even do that? show sucks vice sucks mccrank and gerwer rule

free max b
[close]

Amazing that Vice is having trouble paying people considering how high the CIA’s overall budget runs.
[close]

What’s this Vice/CIA stuff? Are vice reporters just CIA operatives or something? I’m interested.
[close]
vice has a history of falling in line on certain issues despite playing the rebel. the fact that the proudboys trace back to it is odd and then there's also the drug smuggling ring
[close]

Yeah, basically this. I don’t think they’re so well connected these days, but during the Obama administration, there definitely seemed to be direct pipeline from the CIA/naval intelligence and the state department to what Vice was reporting on. Same thing was true at the Daily Beast. Of course, it’s next to impossible to prove these things, because obviously they’re working in shadows, but I gotta say, a Vice founder starting the Proud Boys only for the Proud Boys to become a cutout of the FBI was also a little much.
You really think the whole organization is a cut out? It looks like Enrique Tarrio mighta been flipped and they are on some Hoover cointel pro shit now but even that doesn't seem particularly manageable and I'm not sure how much they can even use him since his background got blown across the media. I'm genuinely asking because the formation of it seemed organic but then again it rose to prominence relatively quickly too.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #489 on: May 17, 2021, 11:35:34 PM »

3. Thrasher Radio?

The Tim O'Connor one is great.

He needs some better recording equipment though. One or two are unlistenable unfortunately.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
« Reply #490 on: May 18, 2021, 04:18:10 AM »

statements like this are a dead giveaway that the person making the statement has never actually listened to the bunt
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

manysnakes

« Reply #491 on: May 18, 2021, 05:59:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

free max b
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
You really think the whole organization is a cut out? It looks like Enrique Tarrio mighta been flipped and they are on some Hoover cointel pro shit now but even that doesn't seem particularly manageable and I'm not sure how much they can even use him since his background got blown across the media. I'm genuinely asking because the formation of it seemed organic but then again it rose to prominence relatively quickly too.

I don’t think the whole thing was, but historically, since Oklahoma City in 92, every right wing militia or quasi-military organization has been chock full of FBI informants, so I really doubt that it starts and stops with a top leader. White supremacists even have a bunch of pretty funny jokes about how everyone they know is a fed.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #492 on: May 18, 2021, 06:30:52 AM »

i feel the same but i skim them. i like hearing them talk about videos. i find the breaking down of spots and difficulty of tricks more interesting than people complaining about songs, editing and fits on here. the stop and chats are hit or miss for me. i actually made it all the way through joslin's one but for most guest i just like the parts where they play the their clips and then the pros talk give some background so i usually just fast forward till they have the embedded skate clip then start watching. pretty much just something i put on in the car when i'm driving to the skatepark or grocery store.

i get too much second hand embarrassment from the bunt, it's kind of funny but also feels like they've done it too long. i do enjoy skateline nbd though and it's kind of the similar with the slang but i doesn't feel super forced malibu's most wanted to me i guess because gary doesn't go full ghostface and just uses some slang.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #493 on: May 18, 2021, 06:36:16 AM »
The clip reviews are filling a valuable place in my life. Can anyone recommend a place to find better longer video commentary and reviews?

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #494 on: May 18, 2021, 07:55:53 AM »
Nine Club sucks.
Bunt also sucks.

Mostly Skateboarding, Vert Button, Mission Statement. Only good skateboard podcasts I've heard.
ok thanks

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #495 on: May 18, 2021, 07:56:41 AM »
Expand Quote
The bunt dudes just sound like some suburban nerds trying to sound hard.
[close]

statements like this are a dead giveaway that the person making the statement has never actually listened to the bunt

Nah, he was actually objectively, factually correct. They sound exactly like that.
ok thanks

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #496 on: May 18, 2021, 11:50:18 AM »
Nine Club sucks.
Bunt also sucks.

Mostly Skateboarding, Vert Button, Mission Statement. Only good skateboard podcasts I've heard.

I'm curious why do you think the Bunt sucks?

I personally think the Bunt rules...and Cepha and Donovan ask some hard hitting questions, but they also do a lot of research for the show and when they talk about certain tricks in a guest's part...I get hyped and go back and watch the part immediately.

The show makes me get back into the art of skating. In terms of filming parts.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #497 on: May 18, 2021, 11:57:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Nine Club sucks.
Bunt also sucks.

[close]

I personally think the Bunt rules...and Cepha and Donovan ask some hard hitting questions, but they also do a lot of research for the show and when they talk about certain tricks in a guest's part...I get hyped and go back and watch the part immediately.

See the dude above saying the Bunt guys sound like try-hards. They do. Their whole technique and how they sound and the shit they say that isnt a direct question ruins the experience for me in the same way Chris NOT preparing for jackshit on the Nineclub ruins it for me. The bunt guys are a cringy bore. The Nine Club doesnt even try. Both are awful.
ok thanks

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #498 on: May 18, 2021, 12:13:46 PM »
I used to do Nine Club a lot when I had a commute and the Bunt definitely grew on me. I used to love Tim's pod, too.

But one I thought was total cringe and really surprised me by how not good it was ended up being Chief's 'Thrill of It All.' He was a great guest on Nine Club w/infinite stories that he told well, but it did not translate at all to the other side of the mic. Seemed like he would ask a question in the form of him telling a story and then the guest would have a one-word answer. It reminded me of interviews Geoff Rowley did with Tom Penny where it would be a paragraph of a question and Penny being like, "Yeah, pretty much."

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

donkey

• Rep: -67
  • donk
« Reply #499 on: May 18, 2021, 01:17:23 PM »
Nine Club sucks.
Bunt also sucks.

you're off your rocker!

the bunt is one of the best skateboarding podcasts ever and they have legendary episodes. listen to the one with dustin henry and tell me this shit is not enjoyable

Dirty Douggie

• Rep: 11
« Reply #500 on: May 18, 2021, 01:48:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Nine Club sucks.
Bunt also sucks.

[close]
you're off your rocker!

the bunt is one of the best skateboarding podcasts ever and they have legendary episodes. listen to the one with dustin henry and tell me this shit is not enjoyable

Lots of people find them off putting at first and get into it after.  They are even aware of it themselves... My first time listening i thought they tried too hard to sound tough. But after à few episodes i really enjoyed the genuine aspect of it. They are the purest skate rats among all the hosts of the various podcasts mentionned.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1272
« Reply #501 on: May 18, 2021, 01:50:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nine Club sucks.
Bunt also sucks.

[close]

[close]

See the dude above saying the Bunt guys sound like try-hards. They do. Their whole technique and how they sound and the shit they say that isnt a direct question ruins the experience for me in the same way Chris NOT preparing for jackshit on the Nineclub ruins it for me. The bunt guys are a cringy bore. The Nine Club doesnt even try. Both are awful.

k dude youre old and vanilla we get it

cilantro

• Rep: 44
  • human bean
« Reply #502 on: May 18, 2021, 02:56:23 PM »
I’ve put on Bunt episodes on skate trips, always gets the homies cracking up regardless if they know who the skater is (dustin henry episode specifically. Too good)
Nine club is now banned on skate trips because it makes me sleepy when I drive

NyjahsDad

« Reply #503 on: May 18, 2021, 03:49:38 PM »
Expand Quote
I mean there is only so many people to interview.  They probably should have kept the show to twice a month to make the content last longer.
[close]
They could get better guests if they tried. I stopped paying attention. The experience really is boring, they just argue about the dumbest shit.

Yeah and then they get on their California high horses about the trendiest controversy the liberal media is pushing that week in order to fill up a half hour

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #504 on: May 30, 2021, 09:27:24 AM »
The nine club is the go-to thing to watch while I do my workout

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #505 on: May 31, 2021, 01:06:35 PM »
I used to listen to it during the very early days but it got stale quickly. I watched one or two YouTube videos a while ago that showed up on my recommended home page of them talking about a part. Didn't find it very interesting but now it's like YouTube puts every single upload of their on my recommended and it's asinine.

For example I've never seen an Andy Anderson video ever (and go out of my way not to) and also haven't watched the nine club in ages but that damn video of AA teaching crob dork tricks is ALWAYS in my recommendations.

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -77
« Reply #506 on: May 31, 2021, 01:20:21 PM »
Yeah and then they get on their California high horses about the trendiest controversy the liberal media is pushing that week in order to fill up a half hour
I mean yeah California right, even the freaking horses are high

winnasoda

• Rep: -31
« Reply #507 on: May 31, 2021, 01:51:11 PM »
Gerwer and McCrank needs a podcast it would be so weird and good

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1185
  • old and in the way
« Reply #508 on: May 31, 2021, 01:56:05 PM »
I really liked Tim O'Connor's podcast. He's kind of disappeared from skateboarding a bit these past few years though and maybe he's over it.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #509 on: May 31, 2021, 01:57:44 PM »
I really liked Tim O'Connor's podcast. He's kind of disappeared from skateboarding a bit these past few years though and maybe he's over it.

Same man

I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in