Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 367045 times)

Coastal Fever

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #2400 on: January 30, 2024, 05:18:28 AM »
Damn, dude really hates Nike.  I’m not buying that he actually gives a shit about their labour ethics, so someone a Nike must’ve really burned him at some point.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • sup dog
« Reply #2401 on: January 30, 2024, 05:51:56 AM »
You guys.... I'm a nine club stan on here and even I don't watch the stream. Stop watching that shit. The interviews can be good and I say that all the time -- Crob and the guys have proven repeatedly they can do a good interview. But no way am I gonna listen to those dudes ramble for 3 hours without a guest. There are an infinite number great podcasts covering literally any topic out there that I could be checking out instead.
Real Stans rep the live show.

You a Bran. You a big bowl of Bran Flakes.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #2402 on: January 30, 2024, 08:40:57 AM »
Damn, dude really hates Nike.  I’m not buying that he actually gives a shit about their labour ethics, so someone a Nike must’ve really burned him at some point.

Yea, it was weird hearing him go off on nike and didn't have a problem with Adidas because "they back up and coming athletes"?!?!  And yes Gary, Jordans are Nike's, no matter what logo you stick on those shoes they will always be nike. 

It almost sounded like Gary and Nine Club had some drama at some point, not sure what Gary was on about in the beginning of the episode when he commented about doing their separate thing.

Also thought it was interesting to hear him talk about SOTY and the Nyjah video that dropped in 2022.  When he said "there are current pro's who thrasher wont upload or fuck with because of some bullshit they did in the past" ...I immediately thought of Yonnie

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1262
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2403 on: January 30, 2024, 10:00:30 AM »
idk he’s been on that since 2012

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2404 on: January 30, 2024, 10:50:07 AM »
Gary episode is pretty entertaining, skipped around a bit… the SOTY discussion until the end was some of the best stuff.  I like how Gary pushes all their buttons but keeps it mostly civil.  It was kinda interesting hearing his take on the innerworkings of Thrasher - gleaned some things from that for sure, and to hear them all allude to GH without wanting to say his name was sorta funny.  I can see why they’d be salty, he’s definitely roasted them a ton.  And I can see what y’all mean about there seeming to be beef between Nine Club and Gary, but I read it as Gary trying to challenge them to be better, in his own odd way.  The way the episode ends with him laughing to himself about potentially failing, seemingly having a breakdown, was pretty sick.  He’s a fascinating guy.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 835
« Reply #2405 on: January 30, 2024, 11:11:08 AM »
Gary should be the new Phelps.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #2406 on: January 30, 2024, 11:48:05 AM »
Not relevant but posting for luls

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

Johnny Kilroy

• Rep: -10
« Reply #2407 on: January 30, 2024, 12:47:08 PM »
3 hours and 7 minutes of that dude?
No,thanks!

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1262
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2408 on: January 30, 2024, 02:21:27 PM »
No,thanks!
it’s actually really good

KrisJolson

« Reply #2409 on: January 30, 2024, 02:24:34 PM »
No,thanks!

3 minutes every week is hard enough

lurkluke

• Rep: 194
« Reply #2410 on: January 30, 2024, 02:36:30 PM »
Expand Quote
No,thanks!
[close]

you have free will, my guy

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #2411 on: January 30, 2024, 02:43:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
No,thanks!
[close]

[close]

I always respected how every week there's an episode, but I havent seen skateline in a while... I gave it a watch to see if Gary is as annoying as he is on skateline...and I liked how nice club presented him, seeing his grommit kid skate video was kinda fun to see, and letting him vent about nike was probably one of the better parts, Crob actually wanted to hear him talk about his hatred lol

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -496
« Reply #2412 on: January 30, 2024, 03:51:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
No,thanks!
[close]

[close]

[close]

I always respected how every week there's an episode, but I havent seen skateline in a while... I gave it a watch to see if Gary is as annoying as he is on skateline...and I liked how nice club presented him, seeing his grommit kid skate video was kinda fun to see, and letting him vent about nike was probably one of the better parts, Crob actually wanted to hear him talk about his hatred lol

I met Gary years ago spent a few hours with him, he’s a weird guy and the whole skate line persona isn’t as much of persona as just a slightly more streamlined and amped version of his actual personality but he is a nice guy and pretty smart and enjoyable to be around . He has loud brash opinions but they’re  at least reasoned and passionate , he’s not hating to just to hate, dude just genuinely loves the version of skating we all came up with and is forever nostalgic for it. He’s your one friend at the skatepark who never grew up and got a job and still living that skate life to the fullest except he’s sober and has a job.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 229
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2413 on: January 30, 2024, 04:32:33 PM »
Gary episode is pretty entertaining, skipped around a bit… the SOTY discussion until the end was some of the best stuff.  I like how Gary pushes all their buttons but keeps it mostly civil.  It was kinda interesting hearing his take on the innerworkings of Thrasher - gleaned some things from that for sure, and to hear them all allude to GH without wanting to say his name was sorta funny.  I can see why they’d be salty, he’s definitely roasted them a ton.  And I can see what y’all mean about there seeming to be beef between Nine Club and Gary, but I read it as Gary trying to challenge them to be better, in his own odd way.  The way the episode ends with him laughing to himself about potentially failing, seemingly having a breakdown, was pretty sick.  He’s a fascinating guy.

I always felt that he locked himself into Thrasher a little too early just before the whole skate Youtuber thing became a viable career and he can't help but be a little bitter that guys like GH have more creative freedom than him and don't need to give away a cut of the money they generate.

Side note: My conspiracy theory is that Thrasher signed him because they wanted to take some of the discourse and shit talking that happened at the peak of the Slap Forums and host it on their pages. His whole character represents the old thrasher bowl barney's image of a terminally online kid that cares too much about industry rumors.

if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

rkulla

« Reply #2414 on: January 31, 2024, 07:57:08 AM »
Are most of you skaters or life coaches?  ::)

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #2415 on: January 31, 2024, 11:58:59 AM »

i for one am a poser with tricks

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

Banned from the room

« Reply #2416 on: January 31, 2024, 12:15:22 PM »
I was speaking with someone earlier about the 9 club. They think it's wack. I don't really understand why they do. It's probably their circle of friends all think it's week industry crap.

I thought everyone loved Thrasher and wanted to keep it. That's why people don't want non skate fans rocking it? I don't understand that either.

If some kid who didn't skate and they ended up with an accidental article of awesome I would have brought um in.
It usually meant they was just too poor for nikes.

Anyway 9 club.

I said there's never been anyone on that you love? Of course they said yes. So I said they did that for you and gave a platform to the underground bland you love.
There's always going to be little things that I as an individual don't like. Sometimes things that no one likes but them. That's life.
We gotta be grateful for the times they do it all the way right by us.

I think it's geared towards people like me who love the history and wanna know about things that happened in other skaters lives.

Shortly afterwards I went to the ledge and got a bunch of photos taken by some rando.

I didn't even have to skate he just wanted photos.

citycity

• Rep: -103
« Reply #2417 on: January 31, 2024, 12:43:36 PM »
I was speaking with someone earlier about the 9 club. They think it's wack. I don't really understand why they do. It's probably their circle of friends all think it's week industry crap.

I thought everyone loved Thrasher and wanted to keep it. That's why people don't want non skate fans rocking it? I don't understand that either.

If some kid who didn't skate and they ended up with an accidental article of awesome I would have brought um in.
It usually meant they was just too poor for nikes.

Anyway 9 club.

I said there's never been anyone on that you love? Of course they said yes. So I said they did that for you and gave a platform to the underground bland you love.
There's always going to be little things that I as an individual don't like. Sometimes things that no one likes but them. That's life.
We gotta be grateful for the times they do it all the way right by us.

I think it's geared towards people like me who love the history and wanna know about things that happened in other skaters lives.

Shortly afterwards I went to the ledge and got a bunch of photos taken by some rando.

I didn't even have to skate he just wanted photos.

Very sick

manysnakes

« Reply #2418 on: January 31, 2024, 01:23:41 PM »
Expand Quote
genuinely not trying to be a hater, but the show, and live show especially feels so formulaic and sorta forced nowadays. Feels like they all just show up every week because they’re used to doing a show and not because they actually care or are invested in skateboarding anymore. Chris even alluded to wanting to escape being tied to skateboarding in a recent episode, like he’s pigeonholed or something.

Also the mental gymnastics they’re pulling on that recent show to somehow differentiate themselves from skate YouTubers or whatever is baffling. They really put themselves on this pedestal because they were pro at one point and have industry access, but they’re dropping shocked face thumbnails and clickbait titles on their videos. I don’t like the hypocrisy and lately I’ve just been getting a vibe that these dudes are a representation of the clicky, elitist side of the industry that you always hear about. Feels like the mask is coming off a bit.
[close]

Crob has been pretty transparent he wants to be a big YouTuber but he knows he has nothing to offer the average person and it grates on his soul.

I think they missed their biggest opportunity after the adidas copa events stopped. They could’ve become a skate media event team and maybe transitioned into bigger stuff. Only Kelly really leaned into that with the judging.

Crob should be the next Tom Scott. He just retired from YouTube, after all.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #2419 on: January 31, 2024, 03:57:49 PM »
more enjoyable than i was expecting - i listened to pretty much the whole thing.

it was pretty funny watching that SOTY bit at the end - gary's point and reasoning was pretty clear and sound, but they seemed incapable of processing the "Thrasher Magazine Skater of the Year" idea.

the whole nike thing was kind of weird, he didn't actually make any points at all...

also, i feel weird about this because i don't care how much money people make, but he brought it up so many times while not wanting to talk about it that now i kind of am interested in how much money he makes doing what he does - any guesses?
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

manysnakes

« Reply #2420 on: January 31, 2024, 04:20:37 PM »
also, i feel weird about this because i don't care how much money people make, but he brought it up so many times while not wanting to talk about it that now i kind of am interested in how much money he makes doing what he does - any guesses?

@Newphone wanna weigh in?

WhiteNerdy

• Rep: -1

WhiteNerdy

• Rep: -1
« Reply #2422 on: January 31, 2024, 04:47:11 PM »
Expand Quote
https://youtu.be/CPdcyfdc6yE?si=cK12dp0ZtNRs6vcL

New episode w/Gary rogers
[close]

Oldest skateline

Correction: Oldest skateline on Metro channel. Other one is oldest on Ride Channel

Haze

« Reply #2423 on: January 31, 2024, 05:09:33 PM »
Not that’s its gonna happen - but it would be funny as fuck if they all began drinking really frequently on the regular show / the live show. Like last live-show was so good, they try to ride that juice longer and stay getting hammered. You just see the whiskey come back one episode, then a fuckin vodka bottle is on the table during Tony Hawks Stop and Chat and he doesn’t want a shot.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #2424 on: January 31, 2024, 07:58:25 PM »

dawg you of all people need to get your ass to a life coach. that would be a far better use of your money

Dad Board

« Reply #2425 on: January 31, 2024, 08:52:52 PM »
more enjoyable than i was expecting - i listened to pretty much the whole thing.

it was pretty funny watching that SOTY bit at the end - gary's point and reasoning was pretty clear and sound, but they seemed incapable of processing the "Thrasher Magazine Skater of the Year" idea.

the whole nike thing was kind of weird, he didn't actually make any points at all...

The mental gymnastics required to celebrate wearing Jordans but in the same breath demonize Nike is astonishing. I like Gary but not as much now after hearing that interview. He really needs people to know that he has no enemies, but he kept harping on it in a way that indicates he’s so above everyone that nobody could offend or do harm to him. Didn’t know he lived in Sac either, wonder if there’s any interesting stories about him floating around out here.

Weededed

• Rep: 222
  • I never needed it..
« Reply #2426 on: January 31, 2024, 09:44:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
genuinely not trying to be a hater, but the show, and live show especially feels so formulaic and sorta forced nowadays. Feels like they all just show up every week because they’re used to doing a show and not because they actually care or are invested in skateboarding anymore. Chris even alluded to wanting to escape being tied to skateboarding in a recent episode, like he’s pigeonholed or something.

Also the mental gymnastics they’re pulling on that recent show to somehow differentiate themselves from skate YouTubers or whatever is baffling. They really put themselves on this pedestal because they were pro at one point and have industry access, but they’re dropping shocked face thumbnails and clickbait titles on their videos. I don’t like the hypocrisy and lately I’ve just been getting a vibe that these dudes are a representation of the clicky, elitist side of the industry that you always hear about. Feels like the mask is coming off a bit.
[close]

Crob has been pretty transparent he wants to be a big YouTuber but he knows he has nothing to offer the average person and it grates on his soul.

I think they missed their biggest opportunity after the adidas copa events stopped. They could’ve become a skate media event team and maybe transitioned into bigger stuff. Only Kelly really leaned into that with the judging.
[close]

Crob should be the next Tom Scott. He just retired from YouTube, after all.

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 136
« Reply #2427 on: January 31, 2024, 10:41:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

@Newphone wanna weigh in?

Wonder if he’s making that Burnett money?! $$$

Ty Evans Lightman

• Rep: -37
« Reply #2428 on: February 01, 2024, 12:05:04 AM »
Not that’s its gonna happen - but it would be funny as fuck if they all began drinking really frequently on the regular show / the live show. Like last live-show was so good, they try to ride that juice longer and stay getting hammered. You just see the whiskey come back one episode, then a fuckin vodka bottle is on the table during Tony Hawks Stop and Chat and he doesn’t want a shot.

After listening to latest screwball whisky episode, I think they need to put the bottle away.
The Christmas New Year episode was great because it was unexpected, chaotic and funny.
The second one felt like way less of a surprise and broke down a lot more because of Crob apparently getting more and more confused and not managing to focus. I can't tell if he was playing it up but it got pretty annoying after a while.
Yes, the arguing with Kelly was sort of amusing but even that felt like it was going the wrong way after a while. We don't need to hear grown men bicker or air their dirty laundry for four hours.
Also, as much as I love him, Jeron repeating over and over how much fun the episode is when things get chaotic also felt like blind optimism. Granted Crob is drunk and will need a ride home, Jeron's drinking too and he's getting behind the wheel too? I don't know. Save the screwball for special occasions.

I feel like they have finally got their live show down to a pretty well-oiled formula. Budget or buttery, yes. AI photoshops, yes. Soty debate, yes. Skate video banter, yes. Chat interactions, yes. It would be a shame to fuck that up.

Sidenote, all the bro-style gay/cock humour is getting tired. It gets worse when alcohol is involved. The big package's, Kelly's facials at Big Dean's etc... Way to go to alienate a community only just getting accepted by skateboarding.

InkkeACAB

• Rep: 18
« Reply #2429 on: February 01, 2024, 03:17:51 AM »
crob clearly can't handle his drink, and pours himself much bigger measures than he does his co hosts
the show is much more entertaining when they have a drink, but that last episode i could hardly watch with all the completely unnecessary interruptions from chris, constantly butting in and asking what they were talking about, really annoying, let jeron hold the bottle.