Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 367074 times)

Can he read

Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #2580 on: February 14, 2024, 05:08:43 PM »
Expand Quote
every show without fail his questions loop back to how much money people make
[close]

crob would just not let it go. dude seems super thirsty. really annoying. you could tell rune was not interested in discussing his money

I wonder if shit like this deters guests from coming on knowing they’ll potentially say something that will be used as a clickbaity thumbnail for them

Sick Duck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #2581 on: February 14, 2024, 06:31:09 PM »
All he cares about is sponsorships and money and kissing industry people’s ass. He wouldn’t even talk about skating if he had the choice

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #2582 on: February 14, 2024, 08:56:44 PM »
All he cares about is sponsorships and money and kissing industry people’s ass. He wouldn’t even talk about skating if he had the choice

And yet it is all he’s chosen to spend his life on.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 744
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2583 on: February 14, 2024, 09:36:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

And yet it is all he’s chosen to spend his life on.

Yes, his *checks notes* two video parts a decade apart.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #2584 on: February 14, 2024, 11:16:58 PM »
Has anybody ever just reversed the question on Chris and asked how much he made at all the different times thru his career/on the nine club?

Shuh

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2585 on: February 15, 2024, 02:44:54 AM »
Has anybody ever just reversed the question on Chris and asked how much he made at all the different times thru his career/on the nine club?

I mean he did go on Tony Hawks Podcasts

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 257
  • sup dog
« Reply #2586 on: February 15, 2024, 05:02:36 AM »
He would probably deflect and say something like

“Bro. Come on. At LEAST a few hundred dollars.”
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

streetmeat

• Rep: 169
« Reply #2587 on: February 15, 2024, 05:43:39 AM »

'no. look. i get it. look. you know. we're just skaters talking shop. its just FASCINATING you know......all of it. like, look. we're just doing our thing here ya know. its just fascinating because before youtube......you know???'

is that what you're looking for?

Gunot

• Rep: 12
« Reply #2588 on: February 15, 2024, 06:45:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

'no. look. i get it. look. you know. we're just skaters talking shop. its just FASCINATING you know......all of it. like, look. we're just doing our thing here ya know. its just fascinating because before youtube......you know???'

is that what you're looking for?

I can‘t believe I actually read that in his voice.

That was budget, man.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2589 on: February 15, 2024, 02:57:24 PM »
Rune episode was super solid, dig how honest he was about his goals and how he felt about/approached his skating.  Consciously choosing to be a vert guy upon advice from Jeremy.  Doesn’t shy away from being a little competitive and talking about his business decisions too.  Pretty fascinating era in skating, great stories.

Can he read

« Reply #2590 on: February 15, 2024, 03:18:57 PM »

Anytime York is on I’ll tune in. Wish he’d just be a full time co-host. If they had someone on every episode who wasn’t afraid to say something even moderately controversial it would really breathe new life into the show. You can tell he’s always trying to keep it mild but dude always has something funny to add.

grandslam

• Rep: 47
« Reply #2591 on: February 15, 2024, 07:36:03 PM »
Chris’ fascination with salaries / finances is probably a personal interest of his, one that him and his crew talk about regularly. He needs to understand that getting the “nitty gritty” on skaters’ backstories is deeper than understanding how much money they made from video game royalties. There are so many far more interesting things to bring up.

Rune and Gary back-to-back tried to politely avoid the conversation

djoekr

• Rep: 324
« Reply #2592 on: February 16, 2024, 03:11:17 AM »
Crob really out here trying to make everyone break the 1st Crack Commandment.

Rule numbre uno, never let no one know
How much dough you hold
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Badmeaningood

• Rep: 22
« Reply #2593 on: February 16, 2024, 03:54:35 AM »
A gentleman never tells!

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2594 on: February 19, 2024, 06:48:53 AM »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2595 on: February 19, 2024, 08:29:11 AM »

How much dough you hold

Gnarred for the Biggie reference
IG: @flowterspace

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -496
« Reply #2596 on: February 19, 2024, 09:04:14 AM »
Chris’ fascination with salaries / finances is probably a personal interest of his, one that him and his crew talk about regularly. He needs to understand that getting the “nitty gritty” on skaters’ backstories is deeper than understanding how much money they made from video game royalties. There are so many far more interesting things to bring up.

I think if he went about it in a better way it’d be a great question as a stepping stone to have more transparency in skating pay and benefit everyone as whole but I’m talking pro worker reform and the corporate overlords don’t want us to have that.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #2597 on: February 19, 2024, 10:11:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think if he went about it in a better way it’d be a great question as a stepping stone to have more transparency in skating pay and benefit everyone as whole but I’m talking pro worker reform and the corporate overlords don’t want us to have that.

ive been lurking tiktok for a bit now and one of the more popular pages is that Salary Transparency one for that reason exactly

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #2598 on: February 19, 2024, 01:37:41 PM »
Ron episode is fucking great, had it on while doing some work, amazing rainy day entertainment.  Awesome stories as expected.  Dude is a livewire, like @radcunt presaged, it’s a few hours of turbo mode.  Also the last untimestamped 45 minutes of interviews tend to be pretty interesting, love all the general industry perspectives/commentary that come out once everything’s covered beyond the chronological life portions.

Banned from the room

« Reply #2599 on: February 19, 2024, 05:54:22 PM »
I've heard Rune is a sweetheart. I'm going to watch rn.

Troubadour26

• Rep: 96
« Reply #2600 on: February 19, 2024, 08:23:33 PM »
The Ron Allen episode is so fucking awesome so far.

Shuh

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2601 on: February 19, 2024, 08:44:43 PM »
Ron episode is fucking great, had it on while doing some work, amazing rainy day entertainment.  Awesome stories as expected.  Dude is a livewire, like @radcunt presaged, it’s a few hours of turbo mode.  Also the last untimestamped 45 minutes of interviews tend to be pretty interesting, love all the general industry perspectives/commentary that come out once everything’s covered beyond the chronological life portions.

It is good

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 835
« Reply #2602 on: February 19, 2024, 10:27:43 PM »
I think the Ron Allen episode is my favorite to date. Tonne of energy. Funny as fuck. Mad respect.

DakotaRed

• Rep: 25
« Reply #2603 on: February 20, 2024, 08:21:41 AM »
Ron's "business man" line was indeed dope. Episode had me thinking and laughing in the best ways.

TelethonJohn

• Rep: 60
« Reply #2604 on: February 20, 2024, 10:43:26 AM »
I know this is a long shot, but Ron Allen had an essay about skating Oakland at night in one of the early issues of Slap. This was back when you could hit all the regular Oakland spots--Tech, Wells Fargo, the museum, Rockridge BART, etc.--and not see another skater. Anyone know if there's a scan of that somewhere?

Also, to the story about the cops fucking with him in Chicago, he talked about it at Skatercon with Bill Danforth, who was obviously in his cups that day. It's a lot funnier in this retelling at 19:20.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2605 on: February 20, 2024, 07:30:28 PM »

Love Ron, can't wait to get immediately worn out listening to this!

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
« Reply #2606 on: February 22, 2024, 12:59:47 AM »
Ron Allen episode is pretty entertaining, loved the stories.

But I think he has his timelines warped at times: FUN was way earlier than 94/95 like he said. Keenan was on FUN and by 95 he was already on Chocolate. Paco came out in 95 so it was probably filmed in 94, and Keenan was on one of the Rocco companies in between FUN and Chocolate. So 92/93 is probably more accurate time period for FUN? I know that for younger people that sounds insignificant cause it was decades ago anyway but skating moved so fast in those times. 92 was a different era than 95.

Also, he said Media / Syndrome distribution offered him a deal when H-Street was starting in 87. That sounds off. I remember Media being around in 94 or so and it was definitely not a top tier company. Was Syndrome around in the 80's already? Did Syndrome do Zorlac? If they did, they could have been around then but Media in 87 sounds weird.

And he also said Koston was around when he signed his first H-Street pro contract in Vegas in 87 when the company was starting. That's like Shackle Me Not -era, sounds way too early for Koston. Surely Koston wasn't involved from the start of H-Street? He was like 12 years old at the time.

Timeline nerding aside, a good episode. I always wish to hear more from the early H-Street, Shackle Me Not / Hokus Pokus days.

Ty Evans Lightman

• Rep: -37
« Reply #2607 on: February 22, 2024, 02:41:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Love Ron, can't wait to get immediately worn out listening to this!

If you want the abridged version listen to Big Hongry’s Mondays and Tuesdays podcast. Same few stories in just over an hour.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2608 on: February 22, 2024, 02:46:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Is it safe to assume it’s Appleyard he’s referring to getting back on flip?
[close]

Appleyard, Rowley or Bastien are all possibilities...

My money is on Eric Fletcher though.
I put my chips on Apples since hew as wearing a Flip beanie recently in some skate shop best trick thingy.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

gumsole

• Rep: 22
« Reply #2609 on: February 22, 2024, 05:09:03 AM »

How much dough you hold

Haven’t listened in awhile but had the Neen episode running as background noise at work. The whole Joe Rogan talk was so awkward. Seeing so many comments about Chris’ infatuation with what people earn or how they’ve made a career off social publicity is so fucking cringe. He needs to seriously chill with those topic conversations before he has nobody willing to speak with him ever. It’s past the point of humorous now.