Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 367083 times)

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #2880 on: April 11, 2024, 06:39:58 AM »
Donovan making the distinction between the nine club discussing skating amongst their peers, and the bunt discussing skating as fans/outside perspective was really important.

It’s been years since I’ve been able to tolerate the nine club, but I do understand their need to not make waves. I just wish they had said that upfront instead of the constant “if we don’t like it, we don’t talk about it” excuse that they always respond with.

It's a good distinction but ultimately I think that topic coming up at all stems from the Nine Club continually misunderstanding people's criticism of them being "too nice". I don't think any reasonable person is mad that they act outwardly nice to their peers or choose not to talk shit on videos. I think people are bothered that they act like yes men to any given subject, no matter how dismal or disingenuous, and present it as positivity.  It's things like them smiling and nodding along to a guy trying to make excuses for Gator raping and murdering a woman, or trying to find "the bright side" to racist police brutality, or inviting a nazi on to defend himself. Those things aren't "nice". It's spinelessness packaged as politeness, and that is an extremely valid criticism that they often dismiss as keyboard warrior drivel.

drinkwaterjamie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #2881 on: April 11, 2024, 07:13:47 AM »
Weird to believe people like this actually exist.

Crob needs to chill

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
« Reply #2882 on: April 11, 2024, 07:31:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Donovan making the distinction between the nine club discussing skating amongst their peers, and the bunt discussing skating as fans/outside perspective was really important.

It’s been years since I’ve been able to tolerate the nine club, but I do understand their need to not make waves. I just wish they had said that upfront instead of the constant “if we don’t like it, we don’t talk about it” excuse that they always respond with.
[close]

It's a good distinction but ultimately I think that topic coming up at all stems from the Nine Club continually misunderstanding people's criticism of them being "too nice". I don't think any reasonable person is mad that they act outwardly nice to their peers or choose not to talk shit on videos. I think people are bothered that they act like yes men to any given subject, no matter how dismal or disingenuous, and present it as positivity.  It's things like them smiling and nodding along to a guy trying to make excuses for Gator raping and murdering a woman, or trying to find "the bright side" to racist police brutality, or inviting a nazi on to defend himself. Those things aren't "nice". It's spinelessness packaged as politeness, and that is an extremely valid criticism that they often dismiss as keyboard warrior drivel.
THIS
Makes me laugh that one of Kelly’s favorite comedians is Chris Delia. They’re all just very stupid human beings. And they read this thread a lot so I hope they see it.

Massivebellend

• Rep: -13
« Reply #2883 on: April 11, 2024, 08:42:16 AM »
Crob et al just can’t handle the fact two guys from Toronto are more liked than they are (and make a better & more enjoyable skate podcast)

FrigidSofa

• Rep: -9
« Reply #2884 on: April 11, 2024, 09:56:51 AM »
Crob et al just can’t handle the fact two guys from Toronto are more liked than they are (and make a better & more enjoyable skate podcast)

Facts, they come in with no ego, only fandom and have a much better radio/stage presence.

You don't get to pick your voice, but the bunt bois have excellent voices for a pod.  Crob is okay, Roger is endearing (but never speaks), and Kelly is insufferable. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Kelly is a bad dude.  Just like a podcast is not his calling. The Chris Delia reference is too on point to explain this, haha. Critical engagement with a topic or event at hand makes 2 hours of chatting bearable, otherwise its dullllll.

When I used to listen to the 9club it was early days where it would be minimal them talking, and 90% the guest telling stories.  As soon as they're talking too much I find myself tuning out.

It could be improved, but idk that they're interested in broadening their demographic.  They just want to stick to the formula and chill, which is fine. They're making their money/have their audience I'm sure.
As someone who has an undergraduate degree in Kookonometrics, a graduate degree in Discrete Kookology, and a PhD in Kookospace Engineering...

Massivebellend

• Rep: -13
« Reply #2885 on: April 11, 2024, 03:22:27 PM »
Broadening the demographic would involve splitting the earnings up more so & we saw how that ended up with Eldy & Steezus (yuck).

Wonder how those two guys are getting on, Eldy’s half baked channel really took off lol

Ty Evans Lightman

• Rep: -37
« Reply #2886 on: April 11, 2024, 10:35:20 PM »
Sometimes reading people’s complaints and comments about the nine club really makes me wonder why you’re listening/watching at all?! Just switch off and enjoy those extra couple of hours a week.

Ty Evans Lightman

« Reply #2887 on: April 12, 2024, 09:28:03 AM »
Coming soon to non-members

Timestamps
00:00:00 Joey Suriel
00:01:11 The short lived Menace Skateboards
00:06:05 Growing up in Echo Park and getting his first board from Rip City
00:13:08 Meeting Fabian Alomar for the first time
00:19:45 The Lockwood days
00:23:25 Getting on Powell Peralta
00:36:01 Joey's EMB story
00:44:03 Leaving SMA and getting on ATM Click
00:50:43 Going pro for 60/40
00:57:01 Meeting Kareem Campbell
00:58:20 Almost getting on Sister (Chocolate)
01:06:39 The popularity of Menice and being appropriately compensated
01:10:54 Why Kareem wasn't a face in Menace
01:14:08 20 Shot Sequence
01:17:06 Seeing Carroll's part in questionable and smashing his own footage
01:25:27 The Trilogy video
01:30:19 The City Stars era
01:33:30 Realizing when your pro career is over
01:44:21 Joey's Duffs shoe
01:54:48 Getting into realty
02:00:45 Menace's 30 year anniversary
02:13:10 Rodney driving the tour van

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 785
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #2888 on: April 12, 2024, 09:59:28 AM »
I listen to the experience. Wouldn’t mind them watching the videos before meeting so they’ll have more substantiated thoughts and fleshed our ideas/connections/observations. I get it they’re busy and probably don’t want to watch everything then meet but wouldn’t hurt imo. I also don’t watch any of the videos since I don’t have that kind of time but I’m often cycling or commuting and that’s when I have podcast time and having light skate chat background noise is nice. Just hard to follow sometimes when there’s no visual.

On a similar note, does FA radio post to any streaming services? Having YouTube open on a device isn’t as convenient for me.

nothing's been the since same

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2889 on: April 12, 2024, 10:11:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Something else Nineclub has to navigate is the time pressure.  I'm not totally sure of their process, but they have to drop their episodes, where the bunt has time to wait until their season starts.  No doubt some of the stuff that's gone down on the nineclub they wish they could do over and pretty inexcusable but I recognize how it might happen. 

I enjoyed this episode alot and I'm glad they are engaging some different people and levelling up on doing their research.  To me the experience is too much, so I don't listen, it's a good idea to discuss and elevate the vids, I'd rather just spend time watching them....but most of the interviews, I listen to for sure. 

Dad Board

• Rep: 86
« Reply #2890 on: April 12, 2024, 10:12:55 AM »
Sometimes reading people’s complaints and comments about the nine club really makes me wonder why you’re listening/watching at all?! Just switch off and enjoy those extra couple of hours a week.

Because skateboarding is a relatively small ecosystem and the nine club have made themselves almost unavoidable. You’re gonna see it almost every time you open YouTube in your suggested videos if you’ve ever watched anything skateboarding related. You’ll see ads on IG even if you don’t follow them. They’ve made sure to make themselves as visible as possible across all entertainment media. It’s like saying if you don’t like McDonald’s don’t eat there, ok, but your friends eat there and you see enough ads to where you still have an opinion on the company even if it’s been years since you had a McNugget.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -496
« Reply #2891 on: April 12, 2024, 11:06:15 AM »
I listen to the experience. Wouldn’t mind them watching the videos before meeting so they’ll have more substantiated thoughts and fleshed our ideas/connections/observations. I get it they’re busy and probably don’t want to watch everything then meet but wouldn’t hurt imo. I also don’t watch any of the videos since I don’t have that kind of time but I’m often cycling or commuting and that’s when I have podcast time and having light skate chat background noise is nice. Just hard to follow sometimes when there’s no visual.

On a similar note, does FA radio post to any streaming services? Having YouTube open on a device isn’t as convenient for me.

FA radio used to be on SoundCloud but it looks like it’s just a few from a decade ago now. Holy shit 2014 was 10 years ago where the hell did that time go.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Ty Evans Lightman

« Reply #2892 on: April 12, 2024, 11:19:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Because skateboarding is a relatively small ecosystem and the nine club have made themselves almost unavoidable. You’re gonna see it almost every time you open YouTube in your suggested videos if you’ve ever watched anything skateboarding related. You’ll see ads on IG even if you don’t follow them. They’ve made sure to make themselves as visible as possible across all entertainment media. It’s like saying if you don’t like McDonald’s don’t eat there, ok, but your friends eat there and you see enough ads to where you still have an opinion on the company even if it’s been years since you had a McNugget.

I get all that.
I just find some people sound so put off by the show and start not picking at things that hardly matter, that I wonder why they put themselves through the trauma.

Don’t get me wrong, Nine club isn’t perfect. I’ve criticized them here too but when I tune in I know what I’m getting myself into.

People’s reactions remind me of those people who fly on budget airlines and get bent out of shape for not getting premium service. You get what you pay for. And Nine club’s free…

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
« Reply #2893 on: April 12, 2024, 11:31:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Something else Nineclub has to navigate is the time pressure.  I'm not totally sure of their process, but they have to drop their episodes, where the bunt has time to wait until their season starts.  No doubt some of the stuff that's gone down on the nineclub they wish they could do over and pretty inexcusable but I recognize how it might happen. 

I dunno, I'm talking more about their actual human reactions to things, not so much the show's construction. If time constraints are their excuse for letting things like that deranged Mark Oblow rant fly, then that still doesn't explain their borderline sociopathic reaction to it.

And no, I don't think Chris, Jeron and Kelly are actually sociopaths relishing in Gator's crimes. I don't think Eldridge thinks police brutality is actually good and I don't think those guys are actually nazi sympathizers. (well, maybe Roger based on his rightoid Twitter enagement). I do think they are incapable of dealing with an uncomfortable truth for more than 5 seconds, and because of that we get some toxic positivity brainrot that so many podcasters fall into. That is why people criticize them for being "too nice".

Dad Board

• Rep: 86
« Reply #2894 on: April 12, 2024, 11:50:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I dunno, I'm talking more about their actual human reactions to things, not so much the show's construction. If time constraints are their excuse for letting things like that deranged Mark Oblow rant fly, then that still doesn't explain their borderline sociopathic reaction to it.

And no, I don't think Chris, Jeron and Kelly are actually sociopaths relishing in Gator's crimes. I don't think Eldridge thinks police brutality is actually good and I don't think those guys are actually nazi sympathizers. (well, maybe Roger based on his rightoid Twitter enagement). I do think they are incapable of dealing with an uncomfortable truth for more than 5 seconds, and because of that we get some toxic positivity brainrot that so many podcasters fall into. That is why people criticize them for being "too nice".

I shouldn’t have gone snooping around Rogers Twitter likes. I knew he was an Elon musk supporter but didn’t realize he was that deep into dogshit like Tucker Carlson.

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 175
« Reply #2895 on: April 12, 2024, 01:56:06 PM »
My favorite part is they could just say ‘Slap is fine, it’s nice people actually care enough to comment’ or some BS.  Which is also true- people care enough to discuss and engage about the show, which is far better than people just ignoring your shit (and being forced back into the jewelry and freelance production biz).  But they constantly talk shit about Slap and then religiously read it, so they clearly enjoy this feedback loop for some reason.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1185
  • old and in the way
« Reply #2896 on: April 12, 2024, 02:55:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I get all that.
I just find some people sound so put off by the show and start not picking at things that hardly matter, that I wonder why they put themselves through the trauma.

Don’t get me wrong, Nine club isn’t perfect. I’ve criticized them here too but when I tune in I know what I’m getting myself into.

People’s reactions remind me of those people who fly on budget airlines and get bent out of shape for not getting premium service. You get what you pay for. And Nine club’s free…

I really enjoyed the time Billy Marks was on with Mike Sinclair but then they also gave that snake oil salesman Gary Vee an episode- so it’s a mixed bag.
     You can be critical of a thing while also being interested in it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 10:27:05 AM by funeral_tuxedo »

lurkluke

• Rep: 194
« Reply #2897 on: April 12, 2024, 02:59:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I shouldn’t have gone snooping around Rogers Twitter likes. I knew he was an Elon musk supporter but didn’t realize he was that deep into dogshit like Tucker Carlson.

Just took a look... he liked a post about the Kate Middleton/satanic/Rosemary's Baby conspiracy.  Plus a Tim Pool post, some illumaninati stuff, Epstein stuff, some Ai eclipse fakes, and junk like this:

https://twitter.com/BGatesIsaPyscho/status/1741071151235752446?t=_EWbXDexzWhrfGvL-P8Irw&s=19

Plus lots of stuff gobbing off Musk and Tesla.

Roger stop looking at boomer alt right shit and touch grass. You can't call Slap toxic when you're like this bro.

rkulla

« Reply #2898 on: April 12, 2024, 03:19:46 PM »
My favorite part is they could just say ‘Slap is fine, it’s nice people actually care enough to comment’ or some BS.  Which is also true- people care enough to discuss and engage about the show, which is far better than people just ignoring your shit (and being forced back into the jewelry and freelance production biz).  But they constantly talk shit about Slap and then religiously read it, so they clearly enjoy this feedback loop for some reason.

You have a point. I went from thinking Slap was fine to saying it's a cesspool (because it can be that too since it's made up of random people) but said I would still read it and that doesn't make any sense.  My experience is it's fine to read, for a while, then enough s-posts over time get annoying to where you say something and then get an even more frustrating flurry of replies, then think it's trash. 

I thought that of Facebook years ago and just deleted it and never looked back but I still read SLAP. However, for those who say they don't like slap AND don't read it, I can't argue with that.  I admit it's hypocritical of me to think that people who don't like the Podcast should just stop watching it, but I said I don't like Slap and kept reading it, heh.   

It's fine to not be in the mood or get sick of something once in a while. We do that even with our favorite food, but it's not as fine to say it's trash and still use it. For that I was wrong. I also said I wouldn't post any more on here so I'm sure I'll get crap for going against that now, rightfully so but I figure it's worth the hate vs being a hypocrite - especially since I've seen a better average of decent posts on here since.

Slap itself IS fine. Some posts are good, some suck, and everything in between. If ever really hate it, I'd delete my account and not think about it again, until then it's fine by me.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2899 on: April 13, 2024, 09:01:43 AM »

I do the same thing with this thread.....

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #2900 on: April 13, 2024, 09:13:21 AM »
Always find it peculiar when industry heads are like “slap = bad” because of a few harsh comments, but would never say the same about YouTube, Instagram, etc, which has just as much hateful rhetoric if not more.  Guess they know better than to bite the hand that feeds, but won’t share that forgiveness across all skate media platforms.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 785
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #2901 on: April 13, 2024, 09:21:19 AM »
Always find it peculiar when industry heads are like “slap = bad” because of a few harsh comments, but would never say the same about YouTube, Instagram, etc, which has just as much hateful rhetoric if not more.  Guess they know better than to bite the hand that feeds, but won’t share that forgiveness across all skate media platforms.
Imagine if SLAP was just “🔥🔥” comments

But fr Instagram discourse is a lot of recycled comments and parroting. “Keep voting for this” and veiled racism along with heavy censorship

nothing's been the since same

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
« Reply #2902 on: April 13, 2024, 09:41:51 AM »
Roger being a boomer doesn’t surprise me at all. Roger, Elon Musk isn’t the person you should look up to.

rkulla

« Reply #2903 on: April 13, 2024, 10:04:45 AM »
Expand Quote
s-posts
[close]
It really makes alot of sense that a nine club superfan wont even cuss

That was just habit from getting comments removed from random comment sections for doing it. You still understood I was saying shit-post at least.  The Nine Club used to cuss like crazy the first ~4 years, especially on the Experience and Green Room shows and that obviously didn't deter this "superfan".

Ty Evans Lightman

« Reply #2904 on: April 13, 2024, 11:08:01 AM »
Can we take a moment to remember Eldy’s green room confession session about spending a night with a stripper? I for got the details but I do remember him blurting out his tale then almost instantly regretting it and racing home to his pregnant wife. I miss moments like that.

Fasttimes

• Rep: -45
« Reply #2905 on: April 14, 2024, 02:25:32 AM »
Roger being a boomer doesn’t surprise me at all. Roger, Elon Musk isn’t the person you should look up to.

Roger was born pre-64? Better tell your history teacher to recheck the books or know your terms first. Also, most "boomers" would dislike Elon Musk by default. I hope you pass your permit test so you can drive alone soon, the freedom might help. Lastly, don't ever end a sentence with a preposition like "to". Either mommy wifi died or you meant to say, "too". I'll drop microphone now.

lurkluke

• Rep: 194
« Reply #2906 on: April 14, 2024, 04:47:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Roger was born pre-64? Better tell your history teacher to recheck the books or know your terms first. Also, most "boomers" would dislike Elon Musk by default. I hope you pass your permit test so you can drive alone soon, the freedom might help. Lastly, don't ever end a sentence with a preposition like "to". Either mommy wifi died or you meant to say, "too". I'll drop microphone now.

Yeah it's probably best you stay away from microphones, if that's what you're bringing to the party.

fernando the skater

• Rep: 123
« Reply #2907 on: April 14, 2024, 05:04:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Just took a look... he liked a post about the Kate Middleton/satanic/Rosemary's Baby conspiracy.  Plus a Tim Pool post, some illumaninati stuff, Epstein stuff, some Ai eclipse fakes, and junk like this:

https://twitter.com/BGatesIsaPyscho/status/1741071151235752446?t=_EWbXDexzWhrfGvL-P8Irw&s=19

Roger stop looking at boomer alt right shit and touch grass. You can't call Slap toxic when you're like this bro.

Should get Duane Peters on, if this is the stuff Rog is into.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 173
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #2908 on: April 14, 2024, 05:50:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://youtu.be/5FNHSiPFtvA?si=FGUaZBbKluyVLPAQ
check my music

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2909 on: April 14, 2024, 08:23:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yuck. It’s crazy how many gen x dudes fall for is shit. What a loser.