Author Topic: The "Has anyone skated these?" Thread - Shoes  (Read 64262 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
Re: The "Has anyone skated these?" Thread - Shoes
« Reply #690 on: June 22, 2022, 11:30:55 PM »
Every few years I get obsessed with skating af1s: my feet hurt, Jordans/dunks are hard to obtain, Puleo clips will pop up, there was that one Cyrus kickflip, and Gino had some of the best skating ever in them. I tried to skate some mids and it was really difficult. Anyone done it, with some success?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #691 on: June 22, 2022, 11:42:34 PM »
i fuck with the lows heavy
great shoe if you dont mind the dull boardfeel
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

hobochimp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #692 on: June 23, 2022, 02:26:33 AM »
Never seen Gino skate af1s but now I need to see it. I’m

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
  • Get bent
« Reply #693 on: June 23, 2022, 10:03:18 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm looking to try out a new cupsole, and have a few options in mind. I haven't seen a lot of reviews or testimonials on the ones I'm thinking about, so hopefully someone on here has tried them.

I have some chronic foot problems, so a big concern for me is the sole. I'm looking for some midsole cushioning (not just an insole on rubber), and stability in the forefoot (too floppy is a dealbreaker). A mid-top is ideal for me because I wear orthotics, but there aren't a lot of cupsole mids around, so a low with a higher collar is fine. I prefer more of a wide/round toebox, rather than pointy or narrow.

Shoes that have worked for me in the past: Nike SB Dunk Mid, Adidas Tyshawn Mid, Adidas Liberty Cup

Shoes that have not worked for me: NB Tiago 1010 (collar too low), NB Westgate 913 (too narrow, weird square toe shape), NB 440 (forefoot too thin), Vans AVE (collar too low), Emerica Spanky G6 (toebox too long/pointy, overall fit too narrow)

I'm currently leaning toward one of: Cons Fastbreak, Vans Fairlane, or Emerica Gamma G6. I also have the Adidas Forum from the non-skate line, and the upcoming new NB Tiago shoe in the back of my mind. No shops near me have any of these in stock right now, so I'd be going in blind ordering online. If anyone has some input on any of those shoes based on my picky little criteria above, I would much appreciate it!
[close]
Not much to offer except I recently got the Gamma G6 and was surprised how pointy the toe was and kinda narrow too. I’m hoping they widen out a bit when I start wearing them but based on that I don’t think they would be what you are looking for.

Have you seen the adidas forum? I know they make a skate model, but I just get the normal one, they seem to be pretty wide, and a cupsole, and they come with a strap
, I’m on my fourth pair
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #694 on: June 23, 2022, 02:55:09 PM »
Anyone skate the new mantecas? Never worn DCs but I’m really liking the shape of them basically a cheap dunk. Are they actually worth buying and skating?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #695 on: June 23, 2022, 05:32:47 PM »
Anyone skate the new mantecas? Never worn DCs but I’m really liking the shape of them basically a cheap dunk. Are they actually worth buying and skating?

Seconded

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 300
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #696 on: June 24, 2022, 09:33:20 AM »
Anyone skate the Vans Lizzies?? Seen a few colors on sale for a good price and I actually like the way they look even though its not much different from the crockett highs lol

LebowskisRug

« Reply #697 on: June 26, 2022, 12:22:38 PM »
After skating the Crockett High for most of the past 6 weeks and ripping a sole off a pair I've kinda concluded that feel like a marginally more secure Half Cab. I've gotten just as many heel bruises and don't necessarily find them thaaaay much more secure in the rear foot like a normal cup, but they are. Overall they definitely are a cup that feels much like a vulc and they do satisfy the "cup that is close to a vulc" argument very well. Overall I've liked them quite a bit but don't feel the actual tech is anything special or offers the protection I would want. Probably a close second favorite to Half Cabs for me.

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #698 on: June 27, 2022, 05:45:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm looking to try out a new cupsole, and have a few options in mind. I haven't seen a lot of reviews or testimonials on the ones I'm thinking about, so hopefully someone on here has tried them.

I have some chronic foot problems, so a big concern for me is the sole. I'm looking for some midsole cushioning (not just an insole on rubber), and stability in the forefoot (too floppy is a dealbreaker). A mid-top is ideal for me because I wear orthotics, but there aren't a lot of cupsole mids around, so a low with a higher collar is fine. I prefer more of a wide/round toebox, rather than pointy or narrow.

Shoes that have worked for me in the past: Nike SB Dunk Mid, Adidas Tyshawn Mid, Adidas Liberty Cup

Shoes that have not worked for me: NB Tiago 1010 (collar too low), NB Westgate 913 (too narrow, weird square toe shape), NB 440 (forefoot too thin), Vans AVE (collar too low), Emerica Spanky G6 (toebox too long/pointy, overall fit too narrow)

I'm currently leaning toward one of: Cons Fastbreak, Vans Fairlane, or Emerica Gamma G6. I also have the Adidas Forum from the non-skate line, and the upcoming new NB Tiago shoe in the back of my mind. No shops near me have any of these in stock right now, so I'd be going in blind ordering online. If anyone has some input on any of those shoes based on my picky little criteria above, I would much appreciate it!
[close]
Not much to offer except I recently got the Gamma G6 and was surprised how pointy the toe was and kinda narrow too. I’m hoping they widen out a bit when I start wearing them but based on that I don’t think they would be what you are looking for.
[close]

Have you seen the adidas forum? I know they make a skate model, but I just get the normal one, they seem to be pretty wide, and a cupsole, and they come with a strap
, I’m on my fourth pair

I haven't tried on the non-skate Forums, but I was thinking about it. Might go to a Foot Locker or something soon and try them out. I imagine the 'ADV' ones fit the same as the non-skate ones? I don't care about getting shoes from the skate or non-skate line, but I think they look better with no strap.

^^ Good lookin' out on the Gamma G6's. Hard to tell the toe pointiness from photos, but that's exactly what I'm not looking for.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #699 on: June 27, 2022, 07:14:36 AM »
I keep getting heel bruises in Vans- the Popcush bottoms out near the upper part of the back heel where the heel touches the insole and rear of the shoe. So far I've gotten them on Half Cabs and Crocketts.

I've also skated 440's, which were kinda thin and I didn't love the durability and flick, 1010's feel a bit bulky, and I am not sure what else to try. I really love the Vans models otherwise. I've skated Blazers but don't really remember how they felt other than that the lows bagged out quick.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
  • Get bent
« Reply #700 on: June 27, 2022, 07:42:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

, I’m on my fourth pair
[close]

I haven't tried on the non-skate Forums, but I was thinking about it. Might go to a Foot Locker or something soon and try them out. I imagine the 'ADV' ones fit the same as the non-skate ones? I don't care about getting shoes from the skate or non-skate line, but I think they look better with no strap.

^^ Good lookin' out on the Gamma G6's. Hard to tell the toe pointiness from photos, but that's exactly what I'm not looking for.

I think the only major difference between the two are the materials they use, the skate ones have more suede, but I just super glue the stitching, they do tend to blow out if you don’t
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #701 on: June 27, 2022, 07:49:21 AM »
How do vans era pros skate? Everyone and their mother is skating swooshes

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #702 on: June 27, 2022, 10:16:50 AM »

on the skate eras rn. durability is not bad. boardfeel is pretty good. they run abit long and narrow. hella heelslips

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #703 on: June 28, 2022, 06:32:32 AM »
I keep getting heel bruises in Vans- the Popcush bottoms out near the upper part of the back heel where the heel touches the insole and rear of the shoe. So far I've gotten them on Half Cabs and Crocketts.

I've also skated 440's, which were kinda thin and I didn't love the durability and flick, 1010's feel a bit bulky, and I am not sure what else to try. I really love the Vans models otherwise. I've skated Blazers but don't really remember how they felt other than that the lows bagged out quick.

I’m skating the Rowan’s at the moment and have found they’re the perfect blend of collar height etc. Not too low or high with good support (for a vulc) for my old ass feet. Would recommend.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #704 on: June 28, 2022, 11:22:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’m skating the Rowan’s at the moment and have found they’re the perfect blend of collar height etc. Not too low or high with good support (for a vulc) for my old ass feet. Would recommend.

Seconded. Rowans and half cabs  are the only vulc I can skate.   

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #705 on: June 28, 2022, 11:29:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

on the skate eras rn. durability is not bad. boardfeel is pretty good. they run abit long and narrow. hella heelslips

I mostly concur. I’m skating a pair now and I’m always amazed how tight I have to make them. I don’t have any heel slip, though, and I actually like them a lot. Very comfortable and greet board feel.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #706 on: July 04, 2022, 01:30:36 AM »
DC Lynx Zero - TTS?

I usually wear the Kalis Vulc in US 9.5, fits fine but for flops our towards the end of life.

Half sizes aren't readily available where I am. Thinking if I should do the Lynx Zero in US 9 and stretch it out first before using them to skate.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #707 on: July 11, 2022, 10:51:58 PM »
Anyone skated in Air Force ones lately? Specifically the lows? I have some that are just collecting dust…

Any kind words for the Tyshawn low? I had the mids, liked em quite a bit. I remember them being tts*, with great support in the midsole. Laces were a problem.
I’ve been skating in dunks, need a more reasonable solution. Tyshawns or Tiago’s I guess

*tts and adidas…I tend to feel like adidas just don’t fit me as well as Nikes, and I can’t figure out why. I feel almost in between sizes. Like I need a 10.25 or some shit
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 06:09:27 PM by Ok »

twic3

• Rep: 14
« Reply #708 on: July 12, 2022, 08:05:27 AM »
You will either love or hate skating AF1. Personally they were way to chunky for me and felt easy to roll my ankle in but I see a bunch of people who can skate them like nothing.

If you throw a lunarion or react insole in them they are the most comfortable shoes ever.

smellymoron69

• Rep: -17
« Reply #709 on: July 25, 2022, 10:05:05 AM »
Any kind words for the Tyshawn low?

I'm also curious about these, specifically if anyone has skated both the low and the original/mid. My one problem with the original is that the toe box is pretty tight for me. I see that the toe box on the low looks a little different, but it's probably wishful thinking on my part to think that they might be more roomy in that area. Hell it might even be more cramped since there appears to be a little more material around that area, at least on the outside.

Also curious if there are any other major differences in feel between the two, aside from obviously the mid hugging the ankle.

These would literally be my ideal shoe if the toe box was a little bigger  :'(

vicious cycle

• Rep: 160
« Reply #710 on: July 26, 2022, 08:37:51 AM »
Came here to ask the same.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #711 on: July 26, 2022, 08:57:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Came here to ask the same.

I had them, they were great. No complaints

the_oldtype

• Rep: 2
« Reply #712 on: July 26, 2022, 11:14:37 AM »
Just picked up some Mantecas for the cheap dunk reasons listed above. They are really nice. Slightly bulkier than a dunk but they have a much more solid feeling structure.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 160
« Reply #713 on: July 26, 2022, 03:13:52 PM »
Just picked up some Mantecas for the cheap dunk reasons listed above. They are really nice. Slightly bulkier than a dunk but they have a much more solid feeling structure.
Thx. I ordered a pair. 75 € is a steal for good skate shoes nowadays.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #714 on: August 03, 2022, 10:21:30 AM »
Any one know the sizing on the Lakai Cambridge? Are they really tts or can I get away with going .5 size down?

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #715 on: August 28, 2022, 04:22:51 PM »
Anyone skated blazer mids and lizzies? I've been digging blazers for a few pairs but I'm thinking about finally hopping off the Nike train.  I've been considering the Lizzies because I think Sk8his are too Dad like, but they seem a little narrow.  Anyone tried both?

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #716 on: August 29, 2022, 07:10:28 PM »
Anyone skated blazer mids and lizzies? I've been digging blazers for a few pairs but I'm thinking about finally hopping off the Nike train.  I've been considering the Lizzies because I think Sk8his are too Dad like, but they seem a little narrow.  Anyone tried both?

Okay lol I went and bought a pair, grabbed the same size, havent skated them yet but the lizzies are slightly narrower in the arch area, but a seem to be a pretty similar width in the front of the foot. As mentioned before theres no padding in the ankle area.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #717 on: August 29, 2022, 07:22:56 PM »

@LebowskisRug in my experience the blazer mids don't bag out fast at all

LebowskisRug

« Reply #718 on: August 29, 2022, 08:06:24 PM »
I just don't think the shape matches my foot. I get excess material on my instep and outer foot opposite my arch and my foot moves in the shoe a good amount. In retrospect I'm not sure why I ever preferred skating them and really am not a fan.

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #719 on: November 19, 2022, 02:24:27 AM »
Has anyone out there tried the dc metric? 1010s are really on sale in my size and these look like a promising substitute.