Author Topic: 2020 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 108391 times)

VHS ERA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: 2020 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #330 on: April 23, 2020, 05:57:05 PM »
Skatepark kids are soft and spoiled and could use some time in the street. Plus the world could use a break from earbud skatepark Instagram edits.

oldmanshakesfistatcloud.gif

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #331 on: April 23, 2020, 06:06:53 PM »
Although he kooked it I was always on MJ's side during his beef with Carroll. You're a grown ass man running to the media to kick off and shit on your former rider's character because he didn't quit Lakai the way you wanted him to. Then turned it into a popularity contest to distract from the reality that Lakai has become a minor league sponsor.

computerdate

• Rep: 18
  • I hope they keep down the price of gas
« Reply #332 on: April 23, 2020, 06:13:09 PM »
A lot of people are a little too obsessed with their pets. Fight me

skatingisntspecialstupid

• Rep: 58
« Reply #333 on: April 23, 2020, 06:21:53 PM »
A lot of people are a little too obsessed with their pets. Fight me

Youre right. It's the quarantine bringing it out. Im with my dog all day now and the balance of power is shifting in our relationship. I cant stop it either.
Don’t dip your head in or your board will end up behind you

Saint Coke

« Reply #334 on: April 23, 2020, 06:33:08 PM »
Although he kooked it I was always on MJ's side during his beef with Carroll. You're a grown ass man running to the media to kick off and shit on your former rider's character because he didn't quit Lakai the way you wanted him to. Then turned it into a popularity contest to distract from the reality that Lakai has become a minor league sponsor.
If I remember correctly I watched an interview with MJ saying that he didn't know how fast he was gonna be put on the team. He had a little bit of time with lakai and was testing shoes for Adidas. He was invited to a premier and was announced on the team. 

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #335 on: April 23, 2020, 07:42:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
If I remember correctly I watched an interview with MJ saying that he didn't know how fast he was gonna be put on the team. He had a little bit of time with lakai and was testing shoes for Adidas. He was invited to a premier and was announced on the team.

He avoided Mike Carrol and didn't answer his texts and then he had to find out that his top rider and long time friend quit his brand at a premiere. That's not what a grown man does. He should've talked to Mike and explained he couldn't wait 6 months for lakai to sell off his shoe.

aima dighed

• Rep: -29
« Reply #336 on: April 23, 2020, 09:15:49 PM »
I don't care what happens. i'm ready to risk it to open the borders and economy. I believe we can survive a pandemic, but can we surive a global great depression situation?

My Gf is also trapped abroad for who knows how long, so this is maybe someone whos just lost their mind at this point.

Circaskater420

• Rep: -76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #337 on: April 23, 2020, 09:23:52 PM »
I don't care what happens. i'm ready to risk it to open the borders and economy. I believe we can survive a pandemic, but can we surive a global great depression situation?

My Gf is also trapped abroad for who knows how long, so this is maybe someone whos just lost their mind at this point.

The only mind you’ve lost is the hivemind.  People think lockdown is going to get rid of the virus.  It’s not.  Lockdown at this point in time is worse than the virus.

Banned from the room

« Reply #338 on: April 23, 2020, 10:07:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

He avoided Mike Carrol and didn't answer his texts and then he had to find out that his top rider and long time friend quit his brand at a premiere. That's not what a grown man does. He should've talked to Mike and explained he couldn't wait 6 months for lakai to sell off his shoe.

Dayem who would do that? Jump ship without telling the brands management . That crazy stuff.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #339 on: April 23, 2020, 10:10:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I fucking hate Mark Gonzales
[close]
No fooling............? Alright lets expand on this why do you hate him? Is it his overrated art? the goofy demure?  I am not making fun of you I genuinely want to hear this out....
[close]

im with Moonie, although i dont think i hate the Gonz much as i hate how much every seems to worship him. but other than video days i cant thnk of anything hes done that i actually like. his aret is shite and his antics are annoying imo
Exactly this ^
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Banned from the room

« Reply #340 on: April 23, 2020, 10:13:51 PM »

hey dood. I can drop in and check on her for you if you like. Drop off some groceries and toilet paper. Maybe throw on the movie hostel and smoke a fatty. I got this. Math plz

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #341 on: April 23, 2020, 10:25:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Correct me if I’m wrong. I thought what happened was MJ said he was going to quit Lakai, Carrol was like “cool, but wait for these shoes to come out first”. Adidas put him in a weird damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation with announcing him early. MJ was salty he wasn’t getting paid by Lakai at this point (or massive paycut, I forget) and was like fuck it. Some Lakai dudes (not Carrol) were at the premier and felt blindsided so he lashed out on Jenkem about it.

Personally I always feel like the employer or CEO should take the more adult route. I’d understand if this was 1995 and no one has money; but if you're a millionaire and your dudes aren’t getting paid what they used to, them leaving under most situations should be accepted. Carrol could’ve kept the shit moving but used that announcement as a way to just vent about all the shit that pissed him off about MJ over the years.

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #342 on: April 23, 2020, 10:31:34 PM »
If Versace plug wasn’t an Instagram skater SLAP would be all over his dick for his style and tricks

Dirty Douggie

• Rep: 11
« Reply #343 on: April 23, 2020, 10:32:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Dayem who would do that? Jump ship without telling the brands management . That crazy stuff.

I guess Mike Carroll and the Crail have been way more than that to MJ considering his history and booze problems...

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #344 on: April 23, 2020, 10:50:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Correct me if I’m wrong. I thought what happened was MJ said he was going to quit Lakai, Carrol was like “cool, but wait for these shoes to come out first”. Adidas put him in a weird damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation with announcing him early. MJ was salty he wasn’t getting paid by Lakai at this point (or massive paycut, I forget) and was like fuck it. Some Lakai dudes (not Carrol) were at the premier and felt blindsided so he lashed out on Jenkem about it.

Personally I always feel like the employer or CEO should take the more adult route. I’d understand if this was 1995 and no one has money; but if you're a millionaire and your dudes aren’t getting paid what they used to, them leaving under most situations should be accepted. Carrol could’ve kept the shit moving but used that announcement as a way to just vent about all the shit that pissed him off about MJ over the years.

As much as I understand Carroll’s side of this, I have to agree with you. When you have the most to gain in a situation (in this case as the company owner) you’re also first in line to get shit on. Gotta handle it like a professional. It’s not like any of us would have been surprised reading Thrasher the next month and seeing “Marc Johnson no longer rides for Chocolate.”

Fernandito

• Rep: -77
« Reply #345 on: April 26, 2020, 12:29:08 PM »
I like Ben Kadow's kits/skating and I thought he was a legit badass/intimidating guy for a brief period of time

I liked Sebo Walker's LSD part
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 01:41:01 PM by Fernandito »

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
« Reply #346 on: April 26, 2020, 12:34:15 PM »
If Versace plug wasn’t an Instagram skater SLAP would be all over his dick for his style and tricks

"We love EuroTech! Just... not like that"
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #347 on: April 26, 2020, 01:02:34 PM »
I liked Andrew Allen a lot more when he was with Anti Hero.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653
« Reply #348 on: April 26, 2020, 01:49:21 PM »
I like to watch Joey Brezinski's skateboarding.

I refuse to ride a board larger than 8.0

The article dispelling the use of "core" was poorly thought out and was built on straw man arguments.

Sometimes, it is hard to tell if some of the skate charities are doing more good for the people who run them than the communities they are "trying to help."

OverVert had too much Louie Barletta.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Ocelot

« Reply #349 on: April 26, 2020, 04:37:41 PM »
I like to watch Joey Brezinski's skateboarding.

I refuse to ride a board larger than 8.0

The article dispelling the use of "core" was poorly thought out and was built on straw man arguments.

Sometimes, it is hard to tell if some of the skate charities are doing more good for the people who run them than the communities they are "trying to help."

OverVert had too much Louie Barletta.

apart from the 8.0, some of those points are good

Banned from the room

« Reply #350 on: April 26, 2020, 07:05:17 PM »
Violence is disgusting.

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #351 on: April 29, 2020, 05:52:36 AM »
History will be kind to Marc Johnson. 

FredGallsBallz

• Rep: -7
« Reply #352 on: April 29, 2020, 06:21:33 AM »
MALL GRABBING IS OKAY IN COVID ERA 2020. You're all skating flatground right now and the hanger is probable the most sanitary part of your board. Lean into that shit. No shame.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #353 on: April 29, 2020, 07:23:59 AM »
A few more, kook button be damned.
Crailtap, while not at the levels of the Paco/Mouse/Chocolate Tour era, is doing better than anyone on here gives them credit for.  They have a good youth movement and survived longer/better than some of their 90s contemporaries.
A lot of people on here lie about snapping boards/breaking trucks, etc in order to shit on brands they don't like. 
It's weird how skate culture prided on being rebellious, yet bogs all that down with too many arbitrary ass unwritten rules.
This is more age/location based for me, but 90's East Coast hip hop era skating > 80's West Coast post punk rock era skating.  Rodney Smith & Zoo York did more than Steve Olson/Santa Cruz for me.

CAPTAIN NOBODY

« Reply #354 on: April 29, 2020, 08:09:27 AM »
Forrest Edwards is a friendly person.

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #355 on: April 29, 2020, 08:19:36 AM »
Violence is disgusting.

You don't fuck with the punisher bro?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #356 on: April 29, 2020, 08:21:51 AM »
if he wasn't an instagram skater, he would be nobody slap can hear from

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #357 on: April 29, 2020, 10:53:13 AM »
VCJ > anything else on a board

switchnollieboardslide

• Rep: 0