Author Topic: 2020 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 108355 times)

Dwyck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
Re: 2020 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1020 on: September 10, 2020, 02:31:38 PM »
7.75 is better than 8+

So you like uh flipping your board, huh? And landing tricks?
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1021 on: September 10, 2020, 02:50:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Nollie heelflips are the scariest flip trick in skateboarding
[close]
Nollie heelflip is a poor mans nollie kickflip

Nollie heels are so far harder than nollie flips.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #1022 on: September 10, 2020, 03:43:03 PM »
7.75 is better than 8+
Unpopular for Slap would be 8.25 is better than 7.75.  Which it obviously is unless you just skate flat all day.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1023 on: September 11, 2020, 06:53:02 AM »
I don't understand why AVE has a SOTY. His part in DC video was cool but that came out in 2003. I don't think I heard his name since then until he won. IMO he is nowhere near as iconic as Heath or as talented as Herman, neither of which have a SOTY..

agree with this. i forget who got beat out with his lifetime achievement award but remember being bummed about it

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 93
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #1024 on: September 11, 2020, 07:53:04 AM »
7.75 is better than 8+

Glad someone said it.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

ClownOfTheDay

• Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
« Reply #1025 on: September 11, 2020, 07:59:15 AM »
Expand Quote
I don't understand why AVE has a SOTY. His part in DC video was cool but that came out in 2003. I don't think I heard his name since then until he won. IMO he is nowhere near as iconic as Heath or as talented as Herman, neither of which have a SOTY..
[close]

agree with this. i forget who got beat out with his lifetime achievement award but remember being bummed about it
Didn't Propeller come out that year?

HeapsCool

• Rep: -174
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1026 on: September 11, 2020, 08:01:03 AM »
Expand Quote
7.75 is better than 8+
[close]

Glad someone said it.

2021 trend thread incoming

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 93
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #1027 on: September 11, 2020, 08:15:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
7.75 is better than 8+
[close]

Glad someone said it.
[close]

Big shoes, small boards.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #1028 on: September 11, 2020, 11:15:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah, plus there was Mindfield within relatively recent memory at that time.  So that's like two career peaks for someone a lot of people (defensibly) consider an all-time great in about 5-6 years, both of which were shot well into his 30s.  I mean, I almost get this take, since it's true that Heath was gnarlier and Herman is kind of a more talented skater.  But AVE just seems kind of a little musclebound psycho, which is sort of the locus of his appeal.  Either you like that about him, appreciate how he skates full speed on every trick in every stance for the sake of clips that look as burly as possible, and sense how hard-won a lot of his clips probably were for that reason, or that doesn't really do anything for you.

Anyway, AVE hate belongs in an unpopular opinion thread, so kudos to fake Arto for a good one. 

KingSharkIsAShark

• Rep: -252
  • Future SLAP Pal
« Reply #1029 on: September 11, 2020, 11:17:48 AM »
TheBerrics was the best content media from 2007-2013 and probably your childhood. even if you were 25 at the time, you know you loved that shit

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1030 on: September 11, 2020, 12:57:42 PM »
Do you ever wonder if Dill wishes he was fucking soty, but it was Ave that became a fucking soty. And then Tyshawn became a fucking soty, yet Dill - never a fucking soty.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #1031 on: September 11, 2020, 01:03:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

there were a fuck load of people that deserved it more than ave that year looking back: https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/soty-2015-finalists/

i mean ishod, o'neill,  jah, joslin, silvas, etc... ave is sick but all these guys threw down way harder

conqueso

« Reply #1032 on: September 11, 2020, 01:05:42 PM »
Do you ever wonder if Dill wishes he was fucking soty, but it was Ave that became a fucking soty. And then Tyshawn became a fucking soty, yet Dill - never a fucking soty.

they won so thrasher can build ties with brands like supreme for increased structural power and influence over the industry

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1033 on: September 11, 2020, 01:06:53 PM »
Ya'll think Dylan would have ever been a SOTY had he not gotten ill? If he won, it could have been Fucking Dill-an.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #1034 on: September 11, 2020, 01:08:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Always figured it was a way for thrasher to build ties with brands like supreme for increased structural power and influence over the industry

Like royal families marrying their kids off.

Hombreezy

« Reply #1035 on: September 11, 2020, 01:12:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

there were a fuck load of people that deserved it more than ave that year looking back: https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/soty-2015-finalists/

i mean ishod, o'neill,  jah, joslin, silvas, etc... ave is sick but all these guys threw down way harder
Joslin deserved it like 3 different times.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 01:31:17 PM by Hombreezy »

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1197
« Reply #1036 on: September 11, 2020, 01:15:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

they won so thrasher can build ties with brands like supreme for increased structural power and influence over the industry

alternate reply: You're ghostin' us, motherfuckerer. I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that?

hardly art, hardly starving

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
« Reply #1037 on: September 11, 2020, 01:33:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Joslin will get it one of these years

seewhathappens

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1038 on: September 11, 2020, 01:38:57 PM »
TheBerrics was the best content media from 2007-2013 and probably your childhood. even if you were 25 at the time, you know you loved that shit

Fair

Menthol_spirits

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1039 on: September 11, 2020, 02:17:30 PM »
Bake and Destroy was the 2010s Baker 3

FlatBeat

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1040 on: September 11, 2020, 02:19:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

I think he missed his window. His style of skating and the way he takes impact is going to mess with his longevity.

He will likely stay relevant for a while but I don't see him upping his game in his later years a la reynolds or heath. I think his best parts are behind him and his style/creativity isn't going to win him soty.

Spacetravelisboring

• Rep: -422
« Reply #1041 on: September 11, 2020, 03:55:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel like this is exactly what happened. At the end of the day there were suits shaking hands.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #1042 on: September 12, 2020, 06:22:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I think he missed his window. His style of skating and the way he takes impact is going to mess with his longevity.

He will likely stay relevant for a while but I don't see him upping his game in his later years a la reynolds or heath. I think his best parts are behind him and his style/creativity isn't going to win him soty.

this is probably right. his first year out when plan b dropped was his year. he released so much footy. he dropped like a 9 minute park of low impact tech skating at the end of the year around the time everyone was saying he was only a hucker and had so much footage come out through the year.

butterballs for jerry

• Rep: -56
« Reply #1043 on: September 12, 2020, 06:33:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
7.75 is better than 8+
[close]

Glad someone said it.
[close]

[close]

Big shoes, small boards.

skate trends are on a 20 year cycle, it's the year 2000 again. we need a new Muska!
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #1044 on: September 12, 2020, 07:51:36 AM »
Bake and Destroy was the 2010s Baker 3

I think everyone would agree with this. I mean it's a full length video...

noninjasinstreetfighter

• Rep: 19
« Reply #1045 on: September 12, 2020, 09:06:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Verso is the masterpiece Suciu wanted it to be. Is that an unpopular opinion? I only remember the classic thread before the part dropped not after.
[close]

The skating was great, and anyone who's opinion matters would agree. However, a lot of people aren't really into Beirut and I personally didn't think the mirror section at the end really added much to the presentation. I get that it was a unique experience for him to plan out and coordinate, but as a viewer, it's just kind of felt anti-climactic.

First Beirut song was a wrong choice. Strangely felt out of place IMO.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1046 on: September 12, 2020, 10:41:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

this is probably right. his first year out when plan b dropped was his year. he released so much footy. he dropped like a 9 minute park of low impact tech skating at the end of the year around the time everyone was saying he was only a hucker and had so much footage come out through the year.

joslin is a great skater, but he hasn't got "it", by that i mean a personality that makes for a good soty personality to make content around. i'm not saying he's dumb, but there is nothing interesting about his personality other than that he's a super good skater apart from the dumb anti-vaccine shit. i feel like making him into a skater of the year would be like a chris cole situation again, and i didn't even get it with him winning two times, wtf. we all know raw ability doesn't cut it. if that would be the case, he would 100% deserved it, even though most of his footage leaves me emotionless. it doesn't help that his selfmade corpo plugs he puts out on insta are super cringe worthy. seriously the dude just seems to be a dork with questionable info on how the world works, probably good hearted and natured, but imagine that post soty content, interviews and all. 

it would be bland as fuck and probably peppered with monster and chick-fil-a plugs. a soty needs a cool team and associates around him so the mag can run soty content for a few months. i don't see that with joslin, like we were blessed with content from lots of skaters and their crews and teams via their soty runs, gt for example. joslin kinda seems out for himself in that regard, i could be wrong but do the plan b dudes actually skate with eachother?

KingSharkIsAShark

• Rep: -252
  • Future SLAP Pal
« Reply #1047 on: September 12, 2020, 12:00:54 PM »
Mikey Taylor is actually a great person and is a better role model than your favorite skater

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #1048 on: September 12, 2020, 01:44:40 PM »
Mikey Taylor is actually a great person and is a better role model than your favorite skater
i think you just clocked this thread. you could have said "ankle bracelets are cool and manly" and it still wouldn't have been as unpopular as this
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

imposter

• Rep: -63
« Reply #1049 on: September 12, 2020, 02:52:05 PM »
Baggy jeans are ugly