Author Topic: Where should Vans trim the Fat ?  (Read 10039 times)

Giza Butler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Where should Vans trim the Fat ?
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2020, 03:17:33 AM »

Christian Hosoi - religion is based on fear was used for getting out of prison early
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

xandeo

• Rep: 7
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2020, 03:52:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Cut everyone but Cab, Cardiel, and Crockett

The 3 C’s will carry the brand forward for years to come.

Also the only shoes Vans makes now are authentics and half-cabs
[close]

Yeah, let's stop paying hard working pros like Chima to make sure that a dude that hasn't stepped foot on a board in almost 2 decades can get taken care of him the rest of his life without doing shit so he can ride a fixed gear bike around SF.

This sums it all up, really.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 57
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2020, 04:14:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
They should put Austyn and Johan on the team if they know what's good
[close]

Agree... Johan has been in shoe limbo for way too long. He reps the paradoxxx hard.
[close]

Some people argue this, but I think Johan is a great fit on Vans as well

Shoot me down but didn't Johan essentially start his own brand then turn himself pro cause no-one else would? I know I know the business is probably in grant's name but same thing really. I doubt that screams marketable and I kinda like the brand

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2020, 12:13:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
cut the surfers and snowboarders

keep the skaters and bmxers, you know the teams that actually use the fucking shoes...
[close]
Snowboarding and surfing both pull in more money in just the US than skateboarding does globally, and Vans has a decent sized piece of that. Cutting those programs would lead to cutting costs on the skate program. My boss at work is a surfer and always has new Vans on. A lot of my co-workers that have never stepped on a board wear Vans. The company makes billions of dollars every year; they don’t have to cut anything
[close]

I highly doubt that there are as many surfers as skaters... the crucial thing is, that all people wear vans: from emo teens to dads in their midlife crisis. theyre a fashion brand thats totally mainstream. what vans era, oldschool, hi sk8 and authentic were for vans was the janoski for nike sb.
[close]
There are more skateboarders, but there is more money involved in surfing. Cutting the surf program and not marketing towards them/beach culture would be a big financial loss. They’re not selling just shoes, they’re selling shirts, sunglasses, board shorts, etc.. They already have their market share in that world, so giving it up for no real reason would be dumb. You already made my point when you mentioned that they were a mainstream brand; there’s more to the company than skating

yeah, of course, I get that, but i guess almost nobody from the mainstream buying their shoes (or shirts, etc.) cares for their pro surfers yet pro snowboarders...

Out_of_Step

• Rep: 2
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2020, 12:57:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone with a shoe on Vans if getting fucking paid. They sell to skaters and dad's of skaters. Remember that dude that broke the landspeed record downhill or whatever? He had on Crockett's. Vans won't drop any of their guys that are bringing in the cash. They're probably 3% body fat compared to Nike,Adidas,& Cons.
[close]

This goes for all pro shoes I guess but some more than others.

I think it's kinda funny how Gilbert will get royalties off people buying his shoe when 70% don't who he is

Also I'm not convinced buy shoes because of the pro attached. It's usually down to design
[close]

The smartest Vans pro shoe design was the first Chima. That’s essentially the Janoski of Vans. Imagine having like 100 colorways of your shoe available at 500+ Vans stores and endless non-skaters buying it.

I’ve always wondered how the royalty structure works for these guys that have their shoes go straight to the Vans stores. Are they be getting a better % since the company has a better margin?

I got a brown suede pair of Chima 1s last year to use as my "nice" sneaker for those situations where its not too dressy and can get away with not wearing a real shoe.  Obviously sales are good enough to justify keeping that model when they introduced the 2nd one. When was the last time a Vans rider had 2 models at the same time?

Curious what they do with the Walkers when his 2nd one comes out. I see a lot of people in that shoe and with the new one being such a radical change(ugly fuck based on the leaked pics), do the 1s stick around for a while?   

I read an interview with Cab where he mentioned getting a flat dollar rate per shoe. Maybe that's his deal, but I would think most would be the same way. I'm guessing they could get bonuses if sales reached certain levels, but to get more based on where it sold, who knows.

primitive_rage

• Rep: 1
  • shut the fuck up
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2020, 01:43:45 PM »
cut Kyle Walker

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1269
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2020, 01:51:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, let's stop paying hard working pros like Chima to make sure that a dude that hasn't stepped foot on a board in almost 2 decades can get taken care of him the rest of his life without doing shit so he can ride a fixed gear bike around SF.
goddamnit thank you. been saying this.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 354
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2020, 01:59:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Looks like someone's wiener wallet "accidentally" let Cards inside said wallet.
[close]

Nah, I just don't care about a dude that's supposed to be 100% skater but choses to ride around on a bike instead of at least cruising on a board.

did you hit your head recently or something? i don't you remember having this many garbage opinions.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2020, 02:01:50 PM »
Just wanted to add that Chima's first pro shoe was, at one point, the best selling shoe on Vans, and it's really cute that you think a brand like Vans only keeps shoes around on the merit of "how do they skate?"
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

bad joke

• Rep: 156
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2020, 02:25:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Nah, I just don't care about a dude that's supposed to be 100% skater but choses to ride around on a bike instead of at least cruising on a board.
[close]

did you hit your head recently or something? i don't you remember having this many garbage opinions.

more like WHINEcrab amirite guys
does my user name check out

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -203
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2020, 02:33:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

he’s on some obvious troll shit

winecrab

• Rep: -176
« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2020, 02:43:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

How's that a garbage opinion? Dude could at least ride around on a board but doesn't want to. He's not a skateboarder. Please prove me wrong. Miko Mo still skates flatground with a paralyzed foot and there's even blind people that still skate so what's his excuse? He's supposed to be a hellride skater for life. 

hip bruise

• Rep: 11
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2020, 02:50:10 PM »
yes I too am concerned for the VF Corporation’s stock dividends during this precarious time

Bitchardo Scantron

• Rep: -93
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2020, 02:55:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
They should put Austyn and Johan on the team if they know what's good
[close]

Agree... Johan has been in shoe limbo for way too long. He reps the paradoxxx hard.
[close]

Some people argue this, but I think Johan is a great fit on Vans as well
[close]

Shoot me down but didn't Johan essentially start his own brand then turn himself pro cause no-one else would? I know I know the business is probably in grant's name but same thing really. I doubt that screams marketable and I kinda like the brand

He and Grant both came up in South Florida, they did the Weekendtage stuff together and Johan was skating for Habitat for quite awhile. I think WKND is Grants but yes, obviously Johan would go to that company. Tough to speculate on if he’d have gone pro elsewhere. My money is on yes

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2020, 03:02:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

How's that a garbage opinion? Dude could at least ride around on a board but doesn't want to. He's not a skateboarder. Please prove me wrong. Miko Mo still skates flatground with a paralyzed foot and there's even blind people that still skate so what's his excuse? He's supposed to be a hellride skater for life.
Mike Mo did a trebomb, collected his likes, and hasn't touched his board since.

covid-19

• Rep: -12
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2020, 03:15:39 PM »
they should add more black riders

Bitchardo Scantron

• Rep: -93
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2020, 03:20:37 PM »
they should add more black riders

Darrell Stanton was a dope fit on Vans, wish he would’ve stayed skating for them

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2301
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2020, 04:49:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Mike Mo did a trebomb, collected his likes, and hasn't touched his board since.
Cardiel's not going to milk it,he's had photos and video crusing around. Just remember there isn't always a camera out when he's getting his. If he could go and blast around a park he would. Vans keeps him covered out of respect,something you lack. Being a skateboarder is more than riding one, but it's obvious you don't know that.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Luddite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2020, 05:24:17 PM »
With Vans having to cancel their Park Series and other events, I’d imagine they would want to put some of that budget towards things like Instagram influencers i.e. pro skaters

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1010
  • the moon rules
« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2020, 06:25:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

keep the skaters and bmxers, you know the teams that actually use the fucking shoes...
[close]
Snowboarding and surfing both pull in more money in just the US than skateboarding does globally, and Vans has a decent sized piece of that. Cutting those programs would lead to cutting costs on the skate program. My boss at work is a surfer and always has new Vans on. A lot of my co-workers that have never stepped on a board wear Vans. The company makes billions of dollars every year; they don’t have to cut anything
[close]

I highly doubt that there are as many surfers as skaters... the crucial thing is, that all people wear vans: from emo teens to dads in their midlife crisis. theyre a fashion brand thats totally mainstream. what vans era, oldschool, hi sk8 and authentic were for vans was the janoski for nike sb.
[close]
There are more skateboarders, but there is more money involved in surfing. Cutting the surf program and not marketing towards them/beach culture would be a big financial loss. They’re not selling just shoes, they’re selling shirts, sunglasses, board shorts, etc.. They already have their market share in that world, so giving it up for no real reason would be dumb. You already made my point when you mentioned that they were a mainstream brand; there’s more to the company than skating
[close]

yeah, of course, I get that, but i guess almost nobody from the mainstream buying their shoes (or shirts, etc.) cares for their pro surfers yet pro snowboarders...
Vans Tripple Crown or Surfing and the US Open are two of the biggest contests in surfing. Keeping the team legitimizes them. Imagine a world where they dropped the skate team; people would still buy them, but you’d see a lot less people skating in them, and they wouldn’t be able to keep their contest series. They want to have surf and snow teams. To them there is no fat to be trimmed
fuck you bama

Ass

• Rep: 0
« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2020, 08:44:40 PM »
i love Dollin... but Dollin

Zumiez And Xanax

« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2020, 08:47:10 PM »
put Gravette on Vans

skatingisntspecialstupid

• Rep: 59
« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2020, 09:19:33 PM »
Alot of dudes are gonna wreck their shit and never make it while Cardiel gets paid to ride his bike. And this is how it should be. Can't imagine he gets a huge check anyway.

I hope Dollin is on until he's dead. Those polka dot vans belong on his feet.

The baby trampler Tyson could go, but I'm sure the kids love him and he's probably good at Instagram things.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 09:27:22 PM by skatingisntspecialstupid »
Don’t dip your head in or your board will end up behind you

Hombreezy

« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2020, 11:40:34 PM »
cut Kyle Walker
Blasphemy. I’ll never understand the Kyle Walker hate besides him acting a little corny sometimes. Dude fuking rips
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 11:44:03 PM by Hombreezy »

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2020, 11:44:31 PM »
Expand Quote
cut Kyle Walker
[close]
Blasphemy. I’ll never understand the Kyle Walker hate besides him acting a little corny sometimes. Dude ducking rips

I don’t think people take kindly to the whole looking back at the spot and talking about the trick immediately after landing thing that he does all the time.

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2020, 12:10:31 AM »
i love Dollin... but Dollin
You don't love Dollin. You are disgusted by your affection towards a degenerate individual, which is why you profess admiration why also advocating damnation.
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

winecrab

• Rep: -176
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2020, 01:11:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
cut Kyle Walker
[close]
Blasphemy. I’ll never understand the Kyle Walker hate besides him acting a little corny sometimes. Dude ducking rips
[close]

I don’t think people take kindly to the whole looking back at the spot and talking about the trick immediately after landing thing that he does all the time.

I kinda like it. He's just stoked. Who wouldn't be after landing what he does.

Dopethrone

• Rep: -22
« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2020, 01:36:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

I buy their shirts shoes etc and I give a fuck about their snowboarders, Pat Moore I sick as fuck and everyone loves Jake kuzyk snowboarders and the skaters...vans is probably the most popular snowboard boots in the game right now that and sole tech thirty-two

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 567
« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2020, 06:23:22 AM »
I don’t know shit about surfing, but apparently Dane Reynolds is like the Andrew Reynolds of surfing or whatever, so I guess he’s bringing in good money for Vans.

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2020, 06:24:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I buy their shirts shoes etc and I give a fuck about their snowboarders, Pat Moore I sick as fuck and everyone loves Jake kuzyk snowboarders and the skaters...vans is probably the most popular snowboard boots in the game right now that and sole tech thirty-two

yes, again, of course, their surf team is probably sick as well, that is not the point. youre obviously not mainstream... its about the millions of sold shoes to people who do not care about skateboarding, surfing, snowboarding or competitions/ contests. one could argue that there are more indirect effects, okay. but if vans would stop now supporting snowboarders/ surfers and would start marketing it with stock footy or no name surfers/ snowboarders, I'll doubt the revenue would change that much. thats all I say. of course it is still hypothetical. but given the fact that most people dont have access to oceans/ mountains but streets, the revneue through mainstream/ every day fashion has to be way higher than for the other stuff.