Author Topic: Watches  (Read 47574 times)

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
Re: Watches
« Reply #960 on: September 30, 2023, 10:06:05 AM »
So, got a promotion and my wife said I should treat myself and I showed her the Tudor Black Bay 58 and jokingly said, “I’m gonna get this.”

She responded, “Cool. Get it. You work hard. You deserve it.”

I stood there flabbergasted as I didn’t think I’d get her blessing to buy myself a NICE watch.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #961 on: October 01, 2023, 06:21:35 AM »
So, got a promotion and my wife said I should treat myself and I showed her the Tudor Black Bay 58 and jokingly said, “I’m gonna get this.”

I stood there flabbergasted as I didn’t think I’d get her blessing to buy myself a NICE watch.
damn! Try the 54 on too if you get the chance

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

PistachiYo

• Rep: 14
« Reply #962 on: October 01, 2023, 07:37:40 AM »

The BB58 is literally the perfect size, I looove mine!
You thinking black or blue? Or one of the precious metal ones?

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #963 on: October 01, 2023, 09:50:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Seriously. I legit was thinking the Seiko Diver. But now that I have this blessing, maybe? Just maybe? And yes, I’ll check the 54 out.

Expand Quote
[close]

I like the black dial, but the blue dial with white numbers feel a bit more neutral — I like subtle.

This is all kind of dope. As I’ve always wanted to buy a luxury watch and pass it to my son as an heirloom in hopes this goes on for generations. And it looks like this dream is kind of attainable.

Would it be valuable like a Newman Daytona? Nope. But I love the idea of heritage and history behind a timepiece more than rarity.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 650
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #964 on: October 01, 2023, 12:12:41 PM »
I tried on a 7K watch the other day. It felt a lot better than my Nixon.

Not sure I can justify the cost, but it did feel different/better than a normal watch.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 80
« Reply #965 on: October 02, 2023, 09:22:23 AM »
My daily Timex fell off at work and disappeared into a piece of machinery, so I needed something new.

I'm rough on my stuff, so I got this gshock as my daily wearer. Apparently they're solid? Well see.
Nothing fancy, but it has a cool little thing that rotates when you choose options.
I am easily amused.

I had a Timex last time that was a total piece of crap. I went swimming with it and water got in it and it died.

Soon will be something nicer for wearing out, when I'm not doing shit like paddling, skating, swimming or whatever.
Ideally I'd like to get a nice watch that can withstand a beating. Any recommendations?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #966 on: October 03, 2023, 08:07:46 PM »
My daily Timex fell off at work and disappeared into a piece of machinery, so I needed something new.

I'm rough on my stuff, so I got this gshock as my daily wearer. Apparently they're solid? Well see.
Nothing fancy, but it has a cool little thing that rotates when you choose options.
I am easily amused.

I had a Timex last time that was a total piece of crap. I went swimming with it and water got in it and it died.

Soon will be something nicer for wearing out, when I'm not doing shit like paddling, skating, swimming or whatever.
Ideally I'd like to get a nice watch that can withstand a beating. Any recommendations?

can't get much tougher than a g-shock! for your nice watch, what sort of ballpark figure are we talking in terms of budget?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #967 on: October 03, 2023, 08:10:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Seriously. I legit was thinking the Seiko Diver. But now that I have this blessing, maybe? Just maybe? And yes, I’ll check the 54 out.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I like the black dial, but the blue dial with white numbers feel a bit more neutral — I like subtle.

This is all kind of dope. As I’ve always wanted to buy a luxury watch and pass it to my son as an heirloom in hopes this goes on for generations. And it looks like this dream is kind of attainable.

Would it be valuable like a Newman Daytona? Nope. But I love the idea of heritage and history behind a timepiece more than rarity.

hot take but I think the blue dial will age better, try them both on (and the b54) before buying though. I tend to wear blue suits a lot more so my dressier/ nicer watches tend to be blue as well. Tried on the the new bb36 with the inhouse movement again yesterday and I really like the jubilee so if you're going into an AD try one on for shits and giggles, I think this version of the bb36 is very underrated!

Ankle_Lift

« Reply #968 on: October 04, 2023, 09:17:01 AM »
Expand Quote

I am easily amused.

[close]
can't get much tougher than a g-shock! for your nice watch, what sort of ballpark figure are we talking in terms of budget?

About $500.  I'm turning 40 in a bit, so maybe a birthday gift to myself.
My brother is getting married next year as well, so I'd like to get him a nice watch as a gift.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #969 on: October 04, 2023, 09:31:39 AM »
hot take but I think the blue dial will age better, try them both on (and the b54) before buying though. I tend to wear blue suits a lot more so my dressier/ nicer watches tend to be blue as well. Tried on the the new bb36 with the inhouse movement again yesterday and I really like the jubilee so if you're going into an AD try one on for shits and giggles, I think this version of the bb36 is very underrated!

I really do like the blue. I actually went into a Tudor store in CA the other day. Tried on the BB58, Heritage, and the GMT — no 54 in stock. Everything was so nice.

Ending up copping the Harrod's BB41. That green bezel spoke to me more than the blue. And since I always wear very neutral colors, I thought the green would be a nice accent to anything I wear.

PistachiYo

• Rep: 14
« Reply #970 on: October 04, 2023, 12:13:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I really do like the blue. I actually went into a Tudor store in CA the other day. Tried on the BB58, Heritage, and the GMT — no 54 in stock. Everything was so nice.

Ending up copping the Harrod's BB41. That green bezel spoke to me more than the blue. And since I always wear very neutral colors, I thought the green would be a nice accent to anything I wear.

Congrats a bunch, the Harrods edition looks great! In my opinion it might be the best looking color of the whole BB range.

I've gone and put a Tudor Ranger bracelet on my blue BB58. It's a perfect fit as the BB58 and Ranger cases are identical, so I now have the benefit of the t-fit clasp, and a cleaner no-rivet look. Very happy with it. So happy that I actually sold the original bracelet as I didn't see myself using it again. I'm now looking to buy the original BB58 nato strap so I have a way to make it "original" again for when I sometime in the future will have to get the watch serviced. I've heard that AD's won't handle Tudor (and Rolex) watches with unoriginal modifications on them, as they are not allowed to by the brands.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #971 on: October 05, 2023, 06:46:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I really do like the blue. I actually went into a Tudor store in CA the other day. Tried on the BB58, Heritage, and the GMT — no 54 in stock. Everything was so nice.

very left field choice, but a solid one indeed, you don’t see many of them around. Wear it on good health!

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #972 on: October 05, 2023, 07:16:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
very left field choice, but a solid one indeed, you don’t see many of them around. Wear it on good health!

Yea, totally left field. Was at home just looking at the brochure, contemplating black or blue when I saw something online say Harrod’s put it up for sale on their site, in comparison to years past where you had to hop on a waitlist and physcially go to the store to get it. Add to the fact that I like the color green, it seemed like the universe was saying “this one.” LOL. So I went for it. But yea, I’m gonna wear it on good health.

ghost of barry white

• Rep: 5
« Reply #973 on: October 07, 2023, 08:09:05 PM »
Any suggestions for a nice quality 22mm leather strap? Was looking at Amazon but I have a hard time trusting off brand quality.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #974 on: October 08, 2023, 12:10:18 PM »
I bought 2-3 straps from colareb so far and they are great.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #976 on: October 10, 2023, 02:00:56 AM »
I bought 2-3 straps from colareb so far and they are great.
colareb is very reputable!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #977 on: October 10, 2023, 02:02:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I am easily amused.

[close]
[close]

About $500.  I'm turning 40 in a bit, so maybe a birthday gift to myself.
My brother is getting married next year as well, so I'd like to get him a nice watch as a gift.

I need to get back to you about this @Ankle_Lift , I haven’t forgotten!

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #978 on: October 10, 2023, 10:21:15 PM »
Just came in. Need to take it to Tudor to get it sized.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #979 on: October 11, 2023, 12:40:16 AM »
Boom! There it is!

breezer

• Rep: -16
« Reply #980 on: October 11, 2023, 01:41:23 AM »
slap watch nerds are killing it

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #981 on: October 11, 2023, 03:55:32 AM »
Congrats on the black bay!!!

Fits you nicely and that colourway is great!

Does it say Harrods somewhere?

green

• Rep: 12
    • ig avatar image
« Reply #982 on: October 11, 2023, 06:10:02 AM »
some stuff i've been wearing, collecting, or have sold since the obsession started last winter –

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #983 on: October 11, 2023, 07:29:44 AM »
Congrats on the black bay!!!

Fits you nicely and that colourway is great!

Does it say Harrods somewhere?

It’s engraved on the back.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #984 on: October 11, 2023, 09:04:54 AM »
Holy crap — the wife surprised me with this Seiko Prospex she remembered me checking out when we were crusing the mall one day. I’m watch overwhelmed this week.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #985 on: October 11, 2023, 07:32:11 PM »
Woah, this thread is heating up!
@green came out of nowhere with a tonne of vintage. Not versed on a lot of those brands, but the lord matin Seiko looks fire!
@TastyBurrito damn son, all of your Xmas are coming at once!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 02:52:49 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

breezer

• Rep: -16
« Reply #986 on: October 12, 2023, 06:38:39 AM »
wont be long until we get a Patek showing up

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #987 on: October 12, 2023, 09:18:03 AM »
wont be long until we get a Patek showing up

A video clip of someone skating while wearing a Patek would be intense.

Ankle_Lift

« Reply #988 on: October 12, 2023, 12:41:55 PM »
@GrayImpSausageMetal

Any suggestions for a watch that shows the moon phases and stars and all the cool shit? Or are those prohibitively expensive?

Bill Salt

« Reply #989 on: October 12, 2023, 11:07:11 PM »
I'll wear a watch again when they'll do a decent telephone-watch to finally avoid to have those stupidly large phones in pocket when you skate.