Author Topic: Bolts With Small Heads = Not Good  (Read 3525 times)

Vintagebody

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 84
Bolts With Small Heads = Not Good
« on: May 04, 2020, 01:35:40 PM »
I bought some new bolts, specificly the Thunder 7/8" bolts, and I notice the heads are tiny.
And it seems to be the case with alot of brands... Its terrible.
Why?
1. Trucks will loosen up quicker
2. Will dig deep into the griptape when you need to re-tighten, which u will need to do, 100%.

Indy bolts for lyfe

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

Re: Bolts With Small Heads = Not Good
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 02:13:46 PM »
Agree. I thought I was alone...

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 02:28:13 PM »
I bought some new bolts, specificly the Thunder 7/8" bolts, and I notice the heads are tiny.
Why?
2. Will dig deep into the griptape when you need to re-tighten, which u will need to do, 100%.

Indy bolts for lyfe

I have noticed that, also! Agreed
Super Champion Fun Zone

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 02:31:46 PM »
Signed!

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 03:07:15 PM »
Speaking of bolts, head size, etc...

Am I the only one annoyed by the grip bunching up around the bolt if you try to get the bolt close to fllush? Doesn't happen all the time, but with common bolts and Mob, it was happening to me all the time.

So what I do now is pre-mount my trucks before gripping, so the bolt sucks into the wood like it would normally when you set up a board, it creates a chamfer to the hole. Take the trucks off and grip the board, the grip kinda sinks into the chamfer better when you do it beforehand. Then when you mount your trucks again, the bolts seat nicely and grip doesn't pucker nearly as much.

I know that seems "extra"... but when combined with a larger head bolt like Vintagebody is talking about, it hasn't failed me in my last 7 or 8 decks.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 03:23:15 PM »
O r n a h
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

BL0B

• Rep: 420
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 03:42:37 PM »
yup, i will also add small nuts to that, ala ShortyS.

BL0B

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 03:46:46 PM »

Am I the only one annoyed by the grip bunching up around the bolt if you try to get the bolt close to fllush? Doesn't happen all the time, but with common bolts and Mob, it was happening to me all the time.

So what I do now is pre-mount my trucks before gripping, so the bolt sucks into the wood like it would normally when you set up a board, it creates a chamfer to the hole. Take the trucks off and grip the board, the grip kinda sinks into the chamfer better when you do it beforehand. Then when you mount your trucks again, the bolts seat nicely and grip doesn't pucker nearly as much.

I know that seems "extra"... but when combined with a larger head bolt like Vintagebody is talking about, it hasn't failed me in my last 7 or 8 decks.

this also bums me out.

i grip, poke holes & then use a big Phillips to clean up the holes.

also don't spin bolt.

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 03:49:13 PM »

i just tighten down the nuts instead of the phillips heads and have no problems
🤙

sketchyrider

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 05:21:21 PM »
i've always wanted hardware opinions, but too scared to ask. shorty's has worked the best for me so far.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2020, 05:39:54 PM »
I'm actually the opposite. I prefer the smaller bolt head. Strictly for the look down factor. That's why I like diamond hardware. 7/8 Allen. Doesn't seem to loosen up any faster than a fat head.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1125
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2020, 05:43:46 PM »
I'm actually the opposite. I prefer the smaller bolt head. Strictly for the look down factor. That's why I like diamond hardware. 7/8 Allen. Doesn't seem to loosen up any faster than a fat head.

I want to start off with diamond.
But.
By the 9th time I’ve taken a board apart to put different trucks on I need a wider head. Allen. But....between Indy cross or Phillips I’m not sure which is worse.

fur lined sea

• Rep: 239
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 05:56:59 PM »
You're all nuts with the exception of this guy:

Shortys 7/8 allen lights forever.
Globes Opinion made me depressed for years.

BL0B

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2020, 06:10:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
i just tighten down the nuts instead of the phillips heads and have no problems

i still get wrinkles sometimes twisting the nuts, lol.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 190
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 07:26:49 PM »
Why?

Indy bolts for lyfe

grab some lucky hardware. it isn’t tapered, and smooth at the head like most hardware. but the heads are bigger.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2020, 08:13:32 PM »
Shoes and Gear threads are filled with future doctors.

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2020, 11:58:31 PM »

Expand Quote
[close]

The grip crumple... doesn’t happen for me, must be a MOB thing.

Shortys 7/8” for life! small heads/no threads/no breaks!

But can’t find them reliably anymore :( plus get more easily trashed and harder to re-use indefinitely now boards and forged plates got thin. Need a 5/8” lol

Gutted when I finally stripped a couple, few packs of Almost Thai Sticks substituted well enough once I got over my previous brand loyalty

MalHuis

• Rep: 4
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2020, 12:02:57 AM »
Bigger bolt head put bigger holes/dent in the board, when i skate smaller boards with big bolt heads (Indy) i actually break the board easier on that spot (tail lands). Sucks but true. Bigger boards seem fine with anything but an 8 with indy bolt is a sure break at some point for me.

drinny

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2020, 12:12:22 AM »
Bolts are maybe the least technical bit of the entire setup thinking about it, if I’d started skating this decade I might have fallen for the Bronze marketing instead (couldn’t believe giant bolt heads and Phillips were acceptable again). I def remember snapping an stupid amount of those generic hardware store non-brand bolts as a poor kid mind you....

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 182
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2020, 01:21:06 AM »
I’m in team smaller bolts ala shortys but I also grip over my bolts so take that as you will...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2020, 05:15:00 AM »

Expand Quote
[close]

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2020, 06:03:01 AM »
I don’t see any issue with bolts digging into the griptape and board but maybe it’s because I’m not at a high level of skating and only high level skaters break boards more often when bolts dig in?
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Vintagebody

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2020, 06:57:35 AM »
Well... Bolts with smaller head diameter, distribute the force in a lesser area, obviously. And since they also dig more into the grip/board duo to this, it will "eventually" be touching the deck itself.
A bigger head diameter, like Indy generally has, the griptape works more like a dampning material.
Just a thought.

Oh and I dislike the view of bolts thats far into the griptape.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1510
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2020, 08:22:31 AM »
Bridge bolts. Come back, it's time.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2020, 09:33:59 AM »
I once bought creature bolts, so much green paint on them they were nearly double in thickness, OP should try those.

I think modus is a nice middle ground.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2020, 09:49:50 AM »
the past two years i've thought about this more than a man should. i like smaller heads just for the look, they tend to sit flush with the deck better. your bolts are gonna loosen up not matter what

as far as having the bolts dig into the deck which is called counter sinking, you should use the screw driver or allen wrench to hold the bolt in place and tighten from the side the nut is on. you will also avoid bunching up the grip around the head of the bolt as well.
even the steven

sketchyrider

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2020, 10:08:03 AM »
I once bought creature bolts, so much green paint on them they were nearly double in thickness, OP should try those.

same with shake junt...if you can stomach the silliness

Vintagebody

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2020, 10:12:21 AM »
the past two years i've thought about this more than a man should. i like smaller heads just for the look, they tend to sit flush with the deck better. your bolts are gonna loosen up not matter what

as far as having the bolts dig into the deck which is called counter sinking, you should use the screw driver or allen wrench to hold the bolt in place and tighten from the side the nut is on. you will also avoid bunching up the grip around the head of the bolt as well.

Smaller heads has less surface area, and the countersunk angle might be different too.
It will:
1. Be easier to tighten flush, duo to lesser surface area to "sink"
2. Get loose quicker
^ Pretty logical

What I mean by digging into the griptape is duo having to tighten them after "awhile". It will happen sooner with these tiny heads...
I want to reduce loose trucks at all costs, cause it makes the baseplate holes bigger = not good.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2020, 10:36:05 AM »

In the time it takes you to do this you could just drive to Home Depot and get a drill with some countersink bits. Alternatively, just don't use sucky phillips hardware- use allen (harder to strip & more secure when mounting) and hold it tight while you tighten the nuts down and your grip won't get all fucked up

drinny

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2020, 10:55:18 AM »
Love the junk science in Slap threads lol. Said this before but drop of glue on the nuts when mounting... save yourself the bother of loose baseplates...