Author Topic: RIP Brooklyn Banks? What are you favorite clips or photos from the banks?  (Read 6799 times)

VHS ERA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 01:24:12 PM by VHS ERA »

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Ok I realize now this could be in photos/videos. Move it if you want. Or don’t.

Ultimate Bitch

Any Harlod Hunter footage is always good

Not A Damn Chance

• Rep: 100
  • Banned from Slam
Damn that’s a bummer! Visited the city my first time this past September and stood outside the fence wanting to hop so bad.  Lots of cops so I didn’t.

Pretty bummed I never got to at least scope it.
Rip to another historical spot  :'(

whorific

• Rep: -169
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
WTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTF
" I did not say this I am not here"

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • and the whistle is screaming
First the little, now the big too.  A tragic.

Spent a week in the tombs in 94'.  Got released with my buddy who also skated, walked out the door not knowing where we were, but boom, there we were at the brooklyn banks. We had driven to the city from suburban Maryland for dirt bricks, but got knocked by the dirty 30. Those cops took everything they found for themselves so we were released. Anyways, central bookings is far from uptown and the last thing we expected to see upon release was the banks.  Wonder if there are still bricks there to take. 

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
    • tumblr avatar image
burnt toast

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 534
    • swarm life avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Bummer. My first thought was: "I wonder if Steve from 5boro knows what's up"

Quote from his post: "As if 2020 could get any worse... hoping the Big Banks situation is just temporary. The #brooklynbanks are the soul of nyc skateboarding. @mitchell_silver can you let us know what @nycparks is planning to do with the space when construction is done? In 2004 when the city demolished the small banks on the other side of Rose street the community were told that the brick banks between Pearl and Rose streets would become a skatepark(which it did) and the space has been used by generations of skateboarders, bmxers and other members of the community. This hallowed ground is so significant to NYC’s culture and for it to be demolished or altered without any discussion would seem tragic. Please let us know."

@tybeall commented on the Quartersnacks post:
"Gunna be storefronts under the bridge I talked to one of the contractors 😔"

To which Steve responded:
"that will be so tough to fight but I will try."

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1294
fuct

Weezil

:/ well that sucks.

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
Banks been dead for 15 years.
Glad I went to skate the big banks in summer 2017 a few times but to be honest it was so crusty and slow. Snuck in and took a brick from the small banks recently.
The moment they turned the big banks into a “skatepark” that was their downfall. Just because it is a historical skate spot doesn’t mean that putting a bunch of shitty wood ramps around improves the situation for politics. Could’ve been conceived as a public space where skateboarding is allowed. I appreciate what Steve tried to do but with all due respects I think he might have rubbed everyone in the city the wrong way. Skateboarders don’t get to own all property under nyc bridges. Could’ve stopped the building of fat kid and les in favor of saving the banks.
Should fight to reopen the small banks. Or take all the bricks and rebuild it elsewhere.
The first real ledge I grinded was at the small banks where Kalis does the “perfect” kickflip.
RIP

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
Such a bummer. One of the best spots of all time.
My favorite trick is the often overlooked Nollie Inward Heelflip over the wall by Quim in 1994.
At the :15 mark of 411 # 8 openers.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
  • Gnar Kook
Welsh switch tre is first to come to mind

and me shredding the banks as Cardiel in Grind Session in 1999

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
Grateful that I got to skate there back in the day! He's not exactly synonymous with NYC, but I always liked how JT's opening line in Welcome To Hell snaked through the spot.

headtowall

• Rep: -12
RIP

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 443
I'm bummed for the NY skate scene to potentially lose this, but personally I don't give a shit. I was never really a fan of the spot and every NY trip we would get stuck there for hours upon hours. Something about driving a few hours to NY, a city full of spots, only to get stuck at the banks irritated me.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
Nothing lasts forever, even cold November rain

givediptoboogieboarders

• Rep: 2
Theres a milion money.  Banks in ny why come we can’t keep this
my bong, now thats a tear jerker

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1453
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
Welsh switch tre is first to come to mind

and me shredding the banks as Cardiel in Grind Session in 1999
Stevie switch tre, too

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
Went to NYC last July of 2019. First time skating and filming in the city. We walked past the banks and of course it was littered with cop cars. Didn't even really get a good look.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 544
someone already posted quims nollie inward heel which is sick. People talk about his nollie varial flip alot which is also for good reason, best nollie varial flip ever done in my opinion.
at 4:08

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1102
The banks died when the small banks were closed. No one skated the large banks really until the smaller banks were closed. If you timed your trick right on the small banks, which was hard to do, due to the varying cracks in the bricks, you could get such a nice boost.

As far as best clip I think Javier’s switch flip is the shit. I only ever Ollied the wall and it took me 10 tries to find the right place to Ollie from.

Saw Cardiel and Stranger FS grinding the tiny lip where Freddy does the KF wall ride. Wish someone was filming them cause it was sick.

Favorite Banks Part though:

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1102
First the little, now the big too.  A tragic.

Spent a week in the tombs in 94'.  Got released with my buddy who also skated, walked out the door not knowing where we were, but boom, there we were at the brooklyn banks. We had driven to the city from suburban Maryland for dirt bricks, but got knocked by the dirty 30. Those cops took everything they found for themselves so we were released. Anyways, central bookings is far from uptown and the last thing we expected to see upon release was the banks.  Wonder if there are still bricks there to take.

Damn. That must have felt like a month. Did you find out it was the tombs upon entry? You must have been a teen at the time. Scary shit. Look up the tombs for those that don’t know. It’s right across the off ramp.

headtowall

• Rep: -12
A friend of mine is working on the job, just sent me these photos on IG and said "crushing it"

legion

• Rep: 32
Those wooden forms give me some hope. They might use them to mold concrete trannies?
Fingers crossed that this ain't RIP Brooklyn Banks..

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1209
  • old and in the way
that place was magical

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
RIP BB

Got to skate them in their prime, went to NYC with a few dudes who knew some dudes and ended skating with HH and that crew on my first trip there (and then hits lots of spots, like 15 of us the rest of the day)...those guys were next fucking level back then.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107

Damn.  Here's a classic.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496