Author Topic: How to do 180 ollies without displacement  (Read 2371 times)

CorneliusCardew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
How to do 180 ollies without displacement
« on: July 18, 2020, 10:58:01 AM »
I want to learn 180 ollies where I don't drift to one side or the other but come straight down. Any tips?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 01:18:21 AM by rocklobster »

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: How to do 180 ollies without displacement
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 11:08:32 AM »
Can you frontside ollie on a quarter without drift (straight up and down)?

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 11:37:29 AM »
I try to do mine where I rotate my shoulders like normal but try to keep my lower body straight until after I pop.  Then bring my lower body around late.  I think it makes them look better and pop a little higher.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 11:51:04 AM »
I try to do mine where I rotate my shoulders like normal but try to keep my lower body straight until after I pop.  Then bring my lower body around late.  I think it makes them look better and pop a little higher.

This, plus you have to stay in your invisible rectangle.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 12:14:06 PM »
Can you frontside ollie on a quarter without drift (straight up and down)?

I never tried I always liked the drift.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 02:05:39 PM »
If you don't have a bank or tranny to try this on but can at least visualize this motion, I think it will help to make the motion needed to make sense.

Benchpress

• Rep: 9
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 02:10:30 AM »
A homie gave me a good tip on this that I felt really improved my  180s. Instead of winding up and moving youre entire body around in a semicircular motion, focus on dropping the front foot and your back foot rotating around that, like under over eachother. Bad at explaining but hope it helps

peptobismol

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 12:04:13 AM »
going really fast and closing your eyes right before you pop, helps. if that doesn't work, doing it in a line feels really good, too.

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 10:49:03 AM »
Definitely turn your shoulders before you legs. Never had an issue with drift but I feel my 180 is all about the front foot. If I needed to cause drift to ollie 180 onto something I always had to add more umpf

NoHopeNoHarm

• Rep: 0
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2020, 11:57:42 AM »
Scoop more than pop, and think about replacing your front foot with your back foot. more in a straight line than in a wide circular motion. Think about scooping that back foot all the way to where the front foot was, dont stop that scooping motion after you leave the ground, take it all the way to where it needs to be to land. Like the other dude said it will be more of an under/over thing with your feet.

McDude

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 03:03:36 PM »
Have you tried the DKL non-abrasive Grip Tape.  That might be an extreme option to change the grip tape, but i watched a few youtube videos, and the stuff got mixed reviews.

I have never tried it, but i have thought about it... not trashing shoes would be a good deal for anyone.

Jurfin

• Rep: 5
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 01:50:13 PM »
Have you tried the DKL non-abrasive Grip Tape.  That might be an extreme option to change the grip tape, but i watched a few youtube videos, and the stuff got mixed reviews.

I have never tried it, but i have thought about it... not trashing shoes would be a good deal for anyone.

You may be in the wrong thread friendo. But I’m on my third sheet of DKL. It really does save your shoes 100%. My first two sheets had issues where they started peeling up around the edges. I get better at it every time I apply it and this third board has had no peeling after a few weeks. I roughed up the edges  of the deck with sandpaper this time, it’s possible that made the difference for me. I’m hoping it stays on this time around. Aside from the peeling issue, which could just come down to user error, I don’t see any good reason to go back. I’ve found it works really well. And even if you went through two sheets per deck, that’s still cheaper than going through shoes like crazy. Unless you can get good shoes for $10.

Oh one downside, it is slippery when wet. But you shouldn’t be skating in the rain anyway haha...

Hope this is helpful!

McDude

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 03:47:42 PM »
i dont know how i got to this thread, it was my first post so it made me register, then i hit back space a couple of clicks until i thought i was back to where i started.  Apperently not.  Thanks for the info, on the DKL, i have been considering it for myself, i am going to pull the trigger and give it a shot now.

Jurfin

• Rep: 5
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 08:40:28 AM »
i dont know how i got to this thread, it was my first post so it made me register, then i hit back space a couple of clicks until i thought i was back to where i started.  Apperently not.  Thanks for the info, on the DKL, i have been considering it for myself, i am going to pull the trigger and give it a shot now.

Right on! Hope it works well for you. I’d recommend roughing up the deck edges a bit, using a new razor, and cutting it about as far in as you can go from the edges. Good luck!

Also my 180’s send me way far away so I unfortunately don’t have anything on topic to contribute. Hope you can sort it out though.

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 05:34:39 AM »
A homie gave me a good tip on this that I felt really improved my  180s. Instead of winding up and moving youre entire body around in a semicircular motion, focus on dropping the front foot and your back foot rotating around that, like under over eachother. Bad at explaining but hope it helps
This is a quite good description on how to do it.

Yeah don't think about it as a circular motion. Think about it as a straight ollie where you land into a nose manual on an imaginary platform and immediately pivot 180 frontside on it by pushing on your front leg.

The same motion you do when you think ollie nosemanual frontside 180 out, but all in one fluid motion.

treflips_up_yer_nan

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2020, 02:04:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
This is a quite good description on how to do it.

Yeah don't think about it as a circular motion. Think about it as a straight ollie where you land into a nose manual on an imaginary platform and immediately pivot 180 frontside on it by pushing on your front leg.

The same motion you do when you think ollie nosemanual frontside 180 out, but all in one fluid motion.
Tryin real hard to visualize wish i hd 10 min to spare to try it that way. Ive been trying to do my 180 in a two step way, like phat ollie and then rotate. Real hd to do but im getting there

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2020, 11:01:05 AM »
Pop straight down don't scoop as much if you're trying to get over stuff and do the 180 late like you would shifty.

If you're doing a turn over or whatever scoop harder and use your scooping foot to pull the board hard into Fakie.

Ooo I got it I think.

Get a parking block and do 180 tail stalls all 4 ways?
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

treflips_up_yer_nan

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2020, 01:50:17 PM »
Pop straight down don't scoop as much if you're trying to get over stuff and do the 180 late like you would shifty.

If you're doing a turn over or whatever scoop harder and use your scooping foot to pull the board hard into Fakie.

Ooo I got it I think.

Get a parking block and do 180 tail stalls all 4 ways?

I can pop them pretty high but my back foot always slips out. Tried them for a bit today and I slightly shifted my stance so that problem is gone but now I still have this issue where I zip out when I pop them high. I also don’t understand how people can whip these out over massive shit like how the fuck do you see where you’re going?