Author Topic: Polar Shapes  (Read 70718 times)

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Polar Shapes
« Reply #570 on: February 02, 2022, 06:21:41 AM »

Yeah I tried one of the very cheap AWS decks when I found out they were BBS... a 7 inch tail! It was fucking beautiful. Then, the first Polar popsicle I try has this comically tiny tail. I actually laughed at one point, i went to drop in and just lost the board  ;D

Ha yeah, I can see that happening.

Those two are the complete opposites though I think.

Expand Quote
Tiny fucking tail too
[close]
ya seriously it's terrible
Anyone know is the 8.5 unique or are all their shapes like that?

As for Polar shapes, I don't think they change anything much at all with the normal popsicle shapes, but I haven't paid that much attention to the normal boards much.

Might have to go looking a bit more...

From checking a few places, the pics look fairly normal with a slight taper and the stock dimensions are usually around 6.75" for the tail, with one having it at 6.5" which is more common for smaller boards / street stuff.  I would be inclined to believe the shop with the 6.5 tail as that is the amazing and very precise one from Japan.

There is also the P2 shape which is a lot more of a shovel nose, but still not sure about the tail area on it.

All of the pics do appear to have tapering tails, but you might want to check in person somewhere that has them if you are not so sure about them, especially with that information.

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #571 on: February 02, 2022, 06:30:35 AM »
Yeah I tried one of the very cheap AWS decks when I found out they were BBS... a 7 inch tail! It was fucking beautiful. Then, the first Polar popsicle I try has this comically tiny tail. I actually laughed at one point, i went to drop in and just lost the board  ;D

I was able to get used to the tail after a few sessions and really like it now. That said, the "transition" in my backyard is a three-foot miniramp if that gives you some perspective from my side. I've been working on foot positioning between tricks so it seems to help me focus on that (i.e. smaller target) without the extra margin of a larger square tail. Of course this is well into over thinking skateboarding and is how I justify flipping decks once a month, lol.

(Next deck on the stack is a Real Full SE 8.5...)
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #572 on: February 02, 2022, 03:07:58 PM »
forgive my ignorance, but what are the advantages of the different shapes?
is there a specific style of skating each shape is made for, or does it all come down to wheelbase and nose/tail preferences?
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1122
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #573 on: February 02, 2022, 06:12:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ha yeah, I can see that happening.

Those two are the complete opposites though I think.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Tiny fucking tail too
[close]
ya seriously it's terrible
Anyone know is the 8.5 unique or are all their shapes like that?
[close]

As for Polar shapes, I don't think they change anything much at all with the normal popsicle shapes, but I haven't paid that much attention to the normal boards much.

Might have to go looking a bit more...

From checking a few places, the pics look fairly normal with a slight taper and the stock dimensions are usually around 6.75" for the tail, with one having it at 6.5" which is more common for smaller boards / street stuff.  I would be inclined to believe the shop with the 6.5 tail as that is the amazing and very precise one from Japan.

There is also the P2 shape which is a lot more of a shovel nose, but still not sure about the tail area on it.

All of the pics do appear to have tapering tails, but you might want to check in person somewhere that has them if you are not so sure about them, especially with that information.

I recently picked up a P2 because I wanted a square nose like the FA/Hockey decks I had been riding but with a bigger tail. I like the shape a lot. It does sort of taper in from the center of the board down to the kicks so it’s sort of a trip to look down at, but I’m liking it a lot. Tail is definitely much better than hockeys, plenty of surface area.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #574 on: February 02, 2022, 07:26:27 PM »
forgive my ignorance, but what are the advantages of the different shapes?
is there a specific style of skating each shape is made for, or does it all come down to wheelbase and nose/tail preferences?

I know the narrow tapering tail was preferred for things like 360 flips (tre flips) and others have said they like a wider upper body / front of the board to have their front foot on, but a more narrow or tapering lower body to cut down on weight and reduce the heft of the board.

For some bigger wider or square shapes, there is a lot more room to put your foot without it slipping off the board, as well as more room to land on, as some people say too.

There is also significant differences between lengths and wheelbases too, which is good for those who want something a little more specific, eg I prefer 14.5 wb over 14 for a normal board, but others would be all about the 14" or just over, as I did with riding 14.25 wb boards back when I was more keen on tech tricks.

Given skateboarding is such a unique and individual thing, as much as there are the same tricks everyone does and some people can do those tricks on anything, from a 7.5 popsicle to a 9+ square or shaped board, the personal preference really comes into it a whole lot more.

This really shows in the Polar team too, with many people interested in how certain guys skate, what they prefer and how different their setups are compared to the same standard size, shape, mold of a skateboarder that mainstream media would portray, or that you would find in a mall store of generic brands, graphics and themes.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #575 on: February 03, 2022, 08:16:57 PM »

From the Setup thread, this one looks really good.

Polar P2 8.5" Klez Rehab
149 Indy Titanium
Spitfire F4 Conical 52mm 99a
Quantum Isotopes
Mob

Had a good year last year, decided to go all out and treat myself. Deck is a new shape for me, liking it a lot but it's a trip to look down at after coming from a Hockey. Might be mental, but feels a bit like an egg, wide in the middle with a little taper to the kicks.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #576 on: February 04, 2022, 07:58:41 AM »

Expand Quote
Polar P2 8.5" Klez Rehab
149 Indy Titanium
Quantum Isotopes
Mob

Had a good year last year, decided to go all out and treat myself. Deck is a new shape for me, liking it a lot but it's a trip to look down at after coming from a Hockey. Might be mental, but feels a bit like an egg, wide in the middle with a little taper to the kicks.

[close]

Thank you! I'm really liking it. I've been exclusively riding boards with big square noses the past 2 years, it's really helped me find consistency on my kickflips/heelflips. I don't skate switch very much but the tails on FA/Hockeys are so small it felt really unnatural riding my board backwards, and I was having trouble finding the balance point on manuals. The Polar P2 for me has been a perfect balance. I've been breaking in new bushings so i've been riding my board both ways and there is a noticeable difference (Nose is larger, maybe *slightly* steeper) but not enough that I can't ride it relatively normal.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #577 on: February 04, 2022, 09:45:32 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Polar P2 8.5" Klez Rehab
149 Indy Titanium
Quantum Isotopes
Mob

[close]
[close]

Thank you! I'm really liking it. I've been exclusively riding boards with big square noses the past 2 years, it's really helped me find consistency on my kickflips/heelflips. I don't skate switch very much but the tails on FA/Hockeys are so small it felt really unnatural riding my board backwards, and I was having trouble finding the balance point on manuals. The Polar P2 for me has been a perfect balance. I've been breaking in new bushings so i've been riding my board both ways and there is a noticeable difference (Nose is larger, maybe *slightly* steeper) but not enough that I can't ride it relatively normal.

Well, I guess i'll have to try a p2 then. Tiny tails are my biggest pet peeve and this looks like the solution to my problems. If the wheelbase is actually 14.5 then i've found my goldilocks deck

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #578 on: February 04, 2022, 09:52:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Polar P2 8.5" Klez Rehab
149 Indy Titanium
Quantum Isotopes
Mob

[close]
[close]

[close]

Well, I guess i'll have to try a p2 then. Tiny tails are my biggest pet peeve and this looks like the solution to my problems. If the wheelbase is actually 14.5 then i've found my goldilocks deck

Well, that's where things get a little hinky because I think polars are sort of notorious for their wheelbase measurements. I just measured from baseplate to baseplate and it looks like 14". Granted, with the trucks off and measuring to the bolt holes maybe it's slightly longer, but I don't think the wheelbase is *actually* 14.5...

fakie varial flip

« Reply #579 on: February 04, 2022, 09:56:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Polar P2 8.5" Klez Rehab
149 Indy Titanium
Quantum Isotopes
Mob

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Well, that's where things get a little hinky because I think polars are sort of notorious for their wheelbase measurements. I just measured from baseplate to baseplate and it looks like 14". Granted, with the trucks off and measuring to the bolt holes maybe it's slightly longer, but I don't think the wheelbase is *actually* 14.5...

That's what I was figuring too. The polar i'm on right now measured 14.38, definitely not 14.5... thank you very much for the accurate measurement!

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #580 on: February 04, 2022, 02:12:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Polar P2 8.5" Klez Rehab
149 Indy Titanium
Quantum Isotopes
Mob

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That's what I was figuring too. The polar i'm on right now measured 14.38, definitely not 14.5... thank you very much for the accurate measurement!

I had the P2 with a smiling cowboy on it from a while back and that had a 14.375” wb like all other Polar boards with a stated wb of 14.5”. I absolutely hated the deck. Not at all sure why but we didn’t get along at all.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #581 on: February 04, 2022, 03:57:16 PM »

That really is the weirdest thing with the wheelbase measurements.

All relevant info has 14.5 including their stickers, but the boards really are all 14.375 / 14.38 when you measure them.

I guess they are not the only ones with this sort of thing though.

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #582 on: February 04, 2022, 08:12:21 PM »
got an 8.5 shin sanbongi p2 and the wheelbase measures at 14.38

i haven’t had any other bbs ‘14.5’ aside from polar and uma. both of them measured at 14.38. the uma one was funky. it was reported to be 14.5 on their site and sticker. lazered as 14.75 and measured 14.38 

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #583 on: February 05, 2022, 08:28:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Polar P2 8.5" Klez Rehab
149 Indy Titanium
Quantum Isotopes
Mob

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I had the P2 with a smiling cowboy on it from a while back and that had a 14.375” wb like all other Polar boards with a stated wb of 14.5”. I absolutely hated the deck. Not at all sure why but we didn’t get along at all.
I like the p2s. The squared off kicks make it stable when popping. Not great for scooping tres or crooks tho.

I’m STILL on the hunt for a backup shape when the p2s aren’t available. FA/Hockey maybe the closest? Heroin double shovels?

Also still on the hunt for an alternate to the Dane 1. Want to replace my current Dane but not sure what to go with.

I know I’ve posted about this in the thread already but if anyone has tips I’d be psyched

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #584 on: February 05, 2022, 08:54:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Polar P2 8.5" Klez Rehab
149 Indy Titanium
Quantum Isotopes
Mob

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
I like the p2s. The squared off kicks make it stable when popping. Not great for scooping tres or crooks tho.

I’m STILL on the hunt for a backup shape when the p2s aren’t available. FA/Hockey maybe the closest? Heroin double shovels?

Also still on the hunt for an alternate to the Dane 1. Want to replace my current Dane but not sure what to go with.

I know I’ve posted about this in the thread already but if anyone has tips I’d be psyched

FA/Hockey is definitely pretty close, I don’t have a side by side comparison but the noses are very similar, it’s mostly the tiny tail that’s different. Same with Quasi Protos, similar front end but smaller tail and different concave.

I would maybe give a Real Full or Full SE (depending on WB preference) a shot. It looks like a good compromise between super square shovel kicks and a standard popsicle. I have one on standby that I’m excited to try.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #585 on: February 05, 2022, 11:08:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Polar P2 8.5" Klez Rehab
149 Indy Titanium
Quantum Isotopes
Mob

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

FA/Hockey is definitely pretty close, I don’t have a side by side comparison but the noses are very similar, it’s mostly the tiny tail that’s different. Same with Quasi Protos, similar front end but smaller tail and different concave.

I would maybe give a Real Full or Full SE (depending on WB preference) a shot. It looks like a good compromise between super square shovel kicks and a standard popsicle. I have one on standby that I’m excited to try.

For reference, Polar P2 on the right and Hockey on the left, both 8.5".

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #586 on: February 05, 2022, 04:56:35 PM »

Real Full SE in 8.38 or 8.5 are both 14.38 wb and seemed like really good all rounders, not too square but definitely more blunt than the normal shapes.

Quite a few mentions around the forums of those boards, some pics as well.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #587 on: February 06, 2022, 07:00:51 AM »
the draw to Polar decks for me is the 7' - 7.2' nose on the 8.25 - 8.5
hardly art, hardly starving

nekro

• Rep: 8
« Reply #588 on: February 11, 2022, 08:49:10 AM »
1992 shape in spring drop  :o

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #589 on: February 11, 2022, 08:59:05 AM »
Just set up this Dane 1 JR for a friend last night. Looks like a really fun shape, but not necessarily for me. Nose is VERY small.

Indy 149s, 58mm Mini logo wheels

« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 09:22:21 AM by BartHarleyJarvis »

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #590 on: February 11, 2022, 08:59:24 AM »
1992 shape in spring drop  :o

Got a link?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #591 on: February 11, 2022, 09:03:27 AM »
Just set up this Dane 1 JR for a friend last night. Looks like a really fun shape, but not necessarily for me. Nose is VERY small.

Are those 149s?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #592 on: February 11, 2022, 09:23:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Are those 149s?

Should've included that, yes they're Indy 149s and 58mm wheels.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #593 on: February 11, 2022, 11:18:03 AM »
a 1992 jr with a slightly shorter wb would be the shit
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #594 on: February 11, 2022, 11:41:02 AM »

New season boards just dropped. Seen a comment above (and on this insta post) that the 1992 is back, I haven't skated the 92 but loved the 91, any pals skated both and can recommend or advise against?
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #595 on: February 11, 2022, 12:41:48 PM »
I had a 92 ages ago. Very excited to see them back. Dunno if I necessarily recommend them, in my experience 90s shapes have a particular feel to them that's different than even other shaped boards, but I really liked mine.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #596 on: February 11, 2022, 03:33:07 PM »

New season boards just dropped. Seen a comment above (and on this insta post) that the 1992 is back, I haven't skated the 92 but loved the 91, any pals skated both and can recommend or advise against?

The slightly longer wheelbase on the 1991 made it work better for me, but as others said, they prefer a shorter wheelbase.

To me 14.5 is perfect for a normal board though, with around 15" wb for a cruiser, even though I used to skate 14.25 shorter wb boards up until a few years ago, I realised the longer wb boards were way more comfortable for me, being taller and more lanky.

Did they both taper to about 8.75 at the back trucks too?  Thought they did, but cannot remember right now.

1991 - 9.25 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb ***

1992 - 9.25 x 32 with 14.25 wb ***

Edit:   ***  specs may not be as advertised ***

« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 05:07:38 PM by Woodshop »

nekro

• Rep: 8
« Reply #597 on: February 11, 2022, 03:35:10 PM »

https://www.routeone.co.uk/products/polar-grund-man-with-window-skateboard-deck-1992-shape-9-25-001132051

fakie varial flip

« Reply #598 on: February 11, 2022, 03:40:36 PM »
What's with the taper to the tail on some polar decks? I have this 8.5 and it's like 8.3 over the rear trucks. It feels like it tapers more than the Baker decks I was skating for a year or so. Tiny fucking tail too

Ok, I know I complained about this but i'm coming around on it. The tail has made 5-0s and half-cabs on transition feel pretty nice since its pointy (rather than being short and round), which feels like it gives a little more 'feel' when you're using it. I've actually started to like the deck quite a bit now

Also, those surf jrs look so cool

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #599 on: February 11, 2022, 04:20:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The slightly longer wheelbase on the 1991 made it work better for me, but as others said, they prefer a shorter wheelbase.

To me 14.5 is perfect for a normal board though, with around 15" wb for a cruiser, even though I used to skate 14.25 shorter wb boards up until a few years ago, I realised the longer wb boards were way more comfortable for me, being taller and more lanky.

Did they both taper to about 8.75 at the back trucks too?  Thought they did, but cannot remember right now.

1991 - 9.25 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb

1992 - 9.25 x 32 with 14.25 wb
Not to be the party pooper but you know how this one ends. I measured the 1991 wb at 14.38"
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.