Author Topic: Polar Shapes  (Read 69613 times)

mamba

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 134
  • Sucka free
Re: Polar Shapes
« Reply #630 on: April 09, 2022, 08:24:58 PM »
Alot of the shapes look very similar to me. I have never skated a shaped Polar deck before. I think I am leaning towards the 8.75 1991 jr shape. Probably going to throw on some venture 8.75 hollow lights. Whats everyone’s thought on this shape if you have ridden it before?

i’m on my 3rd 91 jr, really like it. my flip tricks have never been better no joke. i like the skinny nose for flip tricks. the back isn’t too bad at about 8.125. you definitely need to mess around with the number of washers you put on the inside of your wheels.

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #631 on: April 10, 2022, 12:04:21 AM »
Expand Quote
took the surf jr out for the first time the other night with 54 wheels and ace 44 classics and had a really tough time with it. the pop timing felt really odd. coming from a dwindle deck w steep kicks.

i really hope i can adjust to it, love shin and the look of the shape.
[close]
you’ll be fine after a few sessions, bar maybe your nollie pop? It’s a short board too so if I’m riding one of my other decks and then swap over it, I quickly get reminded just how compact it is.
no idea what it is but i still couldnt adjust to it, so i gave up on the board. really bummed about it, but at least i can actually skate now.

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #632 on: April 10, 2022, 08:03:15 AM »
I’m sure this has been answered in some capacity at some point, but my brain is fried, having combed through so many pages.

I am wondering, what Indy trucks do you prefer for the Dane1 - 159 or 169, or whatever size truck you choose to ride for this shape. I currently skate 149s on DLX 8.5, but I think that’d be pushing it. I know at the front axle, the Dane1 is 9.25 and the back axle is at 8.75.

Do 169s hot rod on a Dane1?

What would the general differences be between skating 159s and 169s? And also, what would the differences be on this particular shape?

For what it’s worth, I flip my board a lot, and I’m not sure how truck width would affect that. Does anyone have advice regarding this?

159s are ideal for me. Rides right, looks good. A very nice combo.

I’ve ran 149 hollows on a Dane too. For a big board, its got a shape that begs to be flipped.

mamba

• Rep: 134
  • Sucka free
« Reply #633 on: April 10, 2022, 10:18:49 AM »
Anyone ride the football shape? What did you think

pops

• Rep: 220
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #634 on: April 21, 2022, 07:56:53 AM »
Anyone tried both the Dane1 and Dane jr.? Which one did you like better?

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #635 on: April 21, 2022, 10:24:47 AM »
Anyone ride the football shape? What did you think

the nose and tail feel pretty pointy, but i guess that's standard for a football. like most of those super tapered egg/football shapes it feels a little bit smaller and a good bit lighter than a 'normal' board with that width would.

Anyone tried both the Dane1 and Dane jr.? Which one did you like better?

i think this is really just gonna come down to how big of a board you wanna ride. also i think the width is kinda the only dimension that changes between em. similar length and wb. so the dane jr is a lot like the surf shape from what i can tell. i've ridden the surf and the dane 1 full-size, but not the dane 1 jr.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #636 on: April 25, 2022, 04:14:07 AM »
Expand Quote
I’m sure this has been answered in some capacity at some point, but my brain is fried, having combed through so many pages.

I am wondering, what Indy trucks do you prefer for the Dane1 - 159 or 169, or whatever size truck you choose to ride for this shape. I currently skate 149s on DLX 8.5, but I think that’d be pushing it. I know at the front axle, the Dane1 is 9.25 and the back axle is at 8.75.

Do 169s hot rod on a Dane1?

What would the general differences be between skating 159s and 169s? And also, what would the differences be on this particular shape?

For what it’s worth, I flip my board a lot, and I’m not sure how truck width would affect that. Does anyone have advice regarding this?
[close]

159s are ideal for me. Rides right, looks good. A very nice combo.

I’ve ran 149 hollows on a Dane too. For a big board, its got a shape that begs to be flipped.
Agree with this, 159s will be lighter and flip easier. If you want to push the wheels out a little further put some extra washers in there

Underpressureflips

• Rep: 39
« Reply #637 on: April 25, 2022, 01:55:50 PM »
Has anyone skated this https://shop.ccs.com/products/polar-hjalte-halberg-burning-sink-wheel-wells-skateboard-deck-8-75

With 55 classics?

Tempted to try. I skated a real Kyle walker with wheelwells on thunders and it was some bullshit/ didn’t reduce wheelbite at all.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #638 on: April 25, 2022, 05:56:24 PM »
Has anyone skated this https://shop.ccs.com/products/polar-hjalte-halberg-burning-sink-wheel-wells-skateboard-deck-8-75

With 55 classics?

Tempted to try. I skated a real Kyle walker with wheelwells on thunders and it was some bullshit/ didn’t reduce wheelbite at all.

Those wheel wells do add between 1 - 2 mm of extra clearance but it depends on the trucks, the wheels and how much you lean and turn into them.

Overall an 8.75" board will still ride ok with 9" trucks, especially as the Ace Classics do tend to have a touch less hanger and longer axles, so thinner wheels would sit under the deck, but wider wheels would sit just out, from looking at the setup I had on 159s and comparing the Ace Classic 55s sitting on top.

The Indy 159s do fit pretty well in the existing wheel wells, so you could add 1 - 2 mm risers as well if it was feeling a little low or getting too much wheelbite on the Ace Classics.  That is what I have done before and it has worked very well on Thunders, as well as some other lower trucks than Indy, usually with fairly decent sized wheels too.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #639 on: April 25, 2022, 06:08:12 PM »

With 55 classics?

I haven't skated that combo, but I was on several 8.25-8.5" Polars with Ace 44s and I gotta say that Polar and Ace go together like peanut butter and chocolate.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #640 on: April 25, 2022, 07:23:00 PM »
Expand Quote

With 55 classics?

[close]

I haven't skated that combo, but I was on several 8.25-8.5" Polars with Ace 44s and I gotta say that Polar and Ace go together like peanut butter and chocolate.

And now that you are back on indy? Asking for a friend that sometimes likes indys

oak leaf

• Rep: 45
« Reply #641 on: April 28, 2022, 07:37:14 AM »
anyone done ventures on a P2? i am sitting on the shin cow p2 as my next deck and im a little shook about the 14.5 wb + ventures.

im trying not to fall back into truck madness and to just stick to ventures, but i have a pair of old 44 classics that make me think maybe i should just go full shin cosplay.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #642 on: April 28, 2022, 07:47:02 AM »
anyone done ventures on a P2? i am sitting on the shin cow p2 as my next deck and im a little shook about the 14.5 wb + ventures.

im trying not to fall back into truck madness and to just stick to ventures, but i have a pair of old 44 classics that make me think maybe i should just go full shin cosplay.

It’s actually 14.375” like all other Polar 14.5” wb decks. I haven’t tried mine with Ventures but I could get along with it with Ace 44 classics for some reason. Ghost popping like mad on 58mm wheels and 1/8” risers. Slightly less ghost pop with 54 mm wheels with no risers but still no good. Not sure why, but it just didn’t work for me. I feel like it could maybe work with mag plates for me as has the Polar 8.375” which is fairly similar apart from the nose.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #643 on: April 28, 2022, 08:52:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

With 55 classics?

[close]

[close]

And now that you are back on indy? Asking for a friend that sometimes likes indys

Yeah, I'm back on Indys but don't have a Polar setup now. I have an Oski sitting in my small stash and when I skate that, it'll either be on Indy or Royal 144s, only because I just don't have a set of Ace trucks at the moment.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #644 on: April 29, 2022, 06:08:08 AM »
I just saw there’s a normal 1991 in the new Polar drop.  Anyone who’s skated one before know the width over the back truck?  I believe it’s like 9.25” over the front truck and it looks like it tapers a little less than a Dane 1.   

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #645 on: April 29, 2022, 07:25:11 AM »
I just saw there’s a normal 1991 in the new Polar drop.  Anyone who’s skated one before know the width over the back truck?  I believe it’s like 9.25” over the front truck and it looks like it tapers a little less than a Dane 1.

Had one a few years back and its like 8.625 IIRC. I skated mine with both 149s and 159s and they were both great.

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #646 on: April 29, 2022, 08:03:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Had one a few years back and its like 8.625 IIRC. I skated mine with both 149s and 159s and they were both great.

Nice - that shape looks very tempting…

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #647 on: April 29, 2022, 12:46:43 PM »
new hardgood drop for spring is live

https://polarskateco.com/collections/hardgoods-drop

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #648 on: April 29, 2022, 03:05:11 PM »

I haven’t skated a 1991 in awhile.. I think the last time they had this shape was pre pandemic? But I had Indy 159s on mine and it fit really well imo. Loved mine as a cruiser/curb board.

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #649 on: April 30, 2022, 04:14:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I haven’t skated a 1991 in awhile.. I think the last time they had this shape was pre pandemic? But I had Indy 159s on mine and it fit really well imo. Loved mine as a cruiser/curb board.

Me too, first I was gonna use it as a cruiser but as soon as I got it I set it up on my regular. And now it's back on the cruiser again.

You guys know if the wheelwells on polar works with ventures?

Snappyfingers

• Rep: 41
  • AW YEAH
« Reply #650 on: April 30, 2022, 09:03:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Me too, first I was gonna use it as a cruiser but as soon as I got it I set it up on my regular. And now it's back on the cruiser again.

You guys know if the wheelwells on polar works with ventures?

I’ve never skated a Polar with WWs with Ventures, but several people on here have commented that the WWs work best with either Ace or Indy.
AW YEAH

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #651 on: May 04, 2022, 03:26:43 AM »

Hey pals, Pontus posted this a few days ago in his stories.
Anyone might know which shape it is?
IG: @flowterspace

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #652 on: May 04, 2022, 05:41:44 AM »
Looks like the p9 to me

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #653 on: May 23, 2022, 07:20:59 AM »
Has anyone tried the Polar slick decks? I’m wondering if they’re similar to an Everslick or a real slick

Wafools

• Rep: 42
« Reply #654 on: May 23, 2022, 12:18:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It’s actually 14.375” like all other Polar 14.5” wb decks. I haven’t tried mine with Ventures but I could get along with it with Ace 44 classics for some reason. Ghost popping like mad on 58mm wheels and 1/8” risers. Slightly less ghost pop with 54 mm wheels with no risers but still no good. Not sure why, but it just didn’t work for me. I feel like it could maybe work with mag plates for me as has the Polar 8.375” which is fairly similar apart from the nose.

It’s funny you mention this. I just got the Hajalt “fire ride” in 8.5 with WW. Not my favorite graphic but it was on sale with free grip so whatever. Anyways the stick was the normal 8.5 but the WB was actually listed as 14.38. I just looked on the polar site and it says 14.5 so maybe the stickers are being more accurate. I’ll measure it for sure when I get home/post a pic.

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #655 on: May 23, 2022, 05:36:25 PM »
Has anyone tried the Polar slick decks? I’m wondering if they’re similar to an Everslick or a real slick

Never skated an everslick but I have skated two Polar slicks and really liked them.  I guess from the extra weight/structural integrity of the slick bottom they were both very snappy and I feel like the pop stayed fresh for longer than usual. 

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #656 on: May 27, 2022, 11:14:42 AM »
Random question... does the P2 actually sort of bow out in the middle? Egg shaped I guess is what people call it?

I'm looking online and it looks pretty clear to me between the furthest bolts there is a bowing out effect, but I've never heard people mention it before:

Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #657 on: May 27, 2022, 11:19:32 AM »
Random question... does the P2 actually sort of bow out in the middle? Egg shaped I guess is what people call it?

I'm looking online and it looks pretty clear to me between the furthest bolts there is a bowing out effect, but I've never heard people mention it before:

Yes it totally does. it's definitely a bit of a trip when you first start riding it, but I actually love it. It's got a big square nose, then a sort of fat middle and a nice scoopable tail. I definitely would not describe it as an egg but the rails do bow out a bit in the middle. It's a great shape and definitely worth trying imo.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #658 on: May 28, 2022, 06:34:25 AM »

I think it was mentioned that quite a few Polar boards have a significant taper to the tail from the back bolts, more so on some shapes than others, but it is quite noticeable on the 8.75 popsicle I have, as well as a couple of others.

Some people like this about them, but others do not.

Noses are a different story though, most being big and full, or in this case shovel shaped.

I never had or recall seeing a P2, so didn't know that about them, so thanks for bringing it up.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #659 on: May 28, 2022, 11:27:08 AM »
I skated a few p2 decks. Loved em! Yes they do bow out in the middle but I barely noticed it when I was skating them