Author Topic: Polar Shapes  (Read 70667 times)

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1121
  • What, me worry?
Re: Polar Shapes
« Reply #660 on: May 28, 2022, 11:28:18 AM »
Anyone have any feedback on the popsicles with the wheel wells? I’m considering grabbing an 8.5 hjalte deck but the wheel wells are sort of tripping me out.

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #661 on: May 28, 2022, 01:07:51 PM »
Anyone have any feedback on the popsicles with the wheel wells? I’m considering grabbing an 8.5 hjalte deck but the wheel wells are sort of tripping me out.

Same... "There is no free lunch in nature" is always the notion I live by. I've seen stories on Slap about people breaking them on flatground for what its worth.

The other thing about the wheel wells that drives me nuts, is what trucks would even wheelbite in that position? I ride aces and the wheelbite marks are essentially right where those wheel wells end. Indy's wouldn't be too far away from that either.

If they legitimately let me ride some 60mm without risers, that would be awesome for a cruiser... but I just don't see those wheel wells making a huge difference?
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Slugboi22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 65
« Reply #662 on: May 28, 2022, 07:37:30 PM »
rode one relatively recently and really enjoyed it. i don’t skate anything considered high impact so i can’t give you any insight into durability but i didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary. board certainly didn’t feel weak. felt quite nice not worrying about wheelbite. i’d say go for it
edit: all things considered, i rode it with ace af1 55s and 54mm tablets (trucks medium loose). i’m also a pretty big guy at 210

Frank and Fred

« Reply #663 on: May 28, 2022, 08:18:43 PM »
I highly doubt wheel wells impact board strength. They don't line up where decks typically will break. They do line up where your wheels hit if you get the right size trucks. I love 'em and have had many wheel welled decks in my time. I just ordered a 9" Shin with wheel wells. Give them a try and enjoy the benefits of loose trucks and big wheels. It's the main reason I ride Polar decks from time to time.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #664 on: May 29, 2022, 06:57:17 PM »

As said, wheel wells do not have any issues with strength of the deck. If someone is going to break a board, it doesn't matter what is going on in that regard, same as some people will say something like "I only did a flat ground ollie and it broke" but there is usually more before that happened, in terms of weakening the board or how the person landed.  Boards break over the bolts on top, not underneath, with that mainly due to the truck point of contact than anything else.

Of the boards with wheel wells I have had (usually Polar, but a couple of other brands too) they really only increase turning ability for most trucks I have tried on it - Indy, Venture, Thunder, Ace all sit roughly on that area when I have pushed the wheel to the board to check - so it is about the equivalent to having up to 1/8" risers without the extra height.

Benefits far outweigh the perceived negatives / flaws, but it is all personal opinion and I know if I am not happy with a board, in my given (normal skateboarder) mental state, I will either have a bad skate on it or want to take it off and either shelve it or pass it on to someone else.

Edit:

Looking back over pics of boards with wheel wells, I don't have any besides cruiser setups, but the forth pic in this one shows where the wheels touched when I had normal wheels on this board, before I turned it into a cruiser, right in the middle of the third layer in, which was from Indy standards and 54 mm wheels.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 07:12:20 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #665 on: June 09, 2022, 05:30:55 PM »
Does anyone else who grabbed a polar w/ wheel wells from the Memorial Day sales think it feels noticeably heavier than their other decks? I just came off a polar P2 and this new deck feels significantly heavier.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #666 on: June 09, 2022, 05:40:41 PM »
I grabbed a 9" shin with Wheel wells on memorial day and it feels about right for its size. I did have  a Polar and an Antihero a year or so ago at the height on the pandemic that both felt strangely heavier... but I never weighed them.

europa1991

• Rep: 56
« Reply #667 on: June 09, 2022, 07:23:18 PM »
Picked up a P2 on a whim and I gotta ask… what is the appeal of this shape? Lol not trying to hate but am genuinely asking.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #668 on: June 09, 2022, 08:05:50 PM »
Picked up a P2 on a whim and I gotta ask… what is the appeal of this shape? Lol not trying to hate but am genuinely asking.

I grabbed one too.

Personally, I really loved the wider nose/tail of my Quasi, but am not a huge fan of the Quasi shape overall (tail length/angle is a bit weird), so I wanted to try other popular wide nose/tail deck shapes. I haven't gotten to skate it yet so I don't have any opinions beyond that yet... I think the extreme squareness and tapered sides look a bit ugly to me, but if it skates well I will tolerate it.

Essentially, I think the point is just maximizing your stability and the amount of ways to use the tail as far as I understand. For example, I can imagine the wider squarer tail could be useful for a more crisp "counter-pop" on heelflips before you flick with your front foot. Maybe in general even a bit more margin of error for motions using the nose/tail as well. I know people have cited these types of boards make sitting in nose/tail slides/blunts easier, less chance of your foot dragging on the ledge, and more comfortable. I'd love to hear what others think.

Have you tried it yet? What are your thoughts so far?
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #669 on: June 09, 2022, 08:28:54 PM »

I was skating FA/Hockey decks and I wanted another board with the big shovel nose but a bit more body to it. P2 for me was a really fun shape, big nose but almost eggish down the middle and a little bit longer overall than the FA/Hockeys. Definitely understand it may not be for everyone, looking down at the deck it’s definitely an odd shape

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #670 on: June 10, 2022, 10:27:19 AM »

ive skated 4-5 hjalte 8.5s with wheel wells (and have another 2 waiting to be skated) and i love em.  I skate Indy 149s with SF F$ conical fulls or classics from 53mm-56mm and for me, the wheel wells line up perfectly.  i skate loose trucks (not Max Palmer or Daewon loose) and they definitely save me/allow me to do sharp turns (often for slappies) without getting pitched.  The wheel wells definitely don't make the board any weaker or whatnot.   

hjale said somewhere he asked for wheel wells because he didnt want to skate risers anymore. 

i think it's in here:

also, just for fun and the hilarious voice-over from Boserio (nothing to do with wheel wells):

hardly art, hardly starving

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #671 on: June 10, 2022, 10:45:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

ive skated 4-5 hjalte 8.5s with wheel wells (and have another 2 waiting to be skated) and i love em.  I skate Indy 149s with SF F$ conical fulls or classics from 53mm-56mm and for me, the wheel wells line up perfectly.  i skate loose trucks (not Max Palmer or Daewon loose) and they definitely save me/allow me to do sharp turns (often for slappies) without getting pitched.  The wheel wells definitely don't make the board any weaker or whatnot.   

hjale said somewhere he asked for wheel wells because he didnt want to skate risers anymore. 

i think it's in here:

also, just for fun and the hilarious voice-over from Boserio (nothing to do with wheel wells):

So far I'm really enjoying it, I like the shape and my first sessions have been good. I was just surprised going from my 8.5 P2 to the Hjalte with wheel wells my board feels significantly heavier without changing anything else. Could just be mental, definitely not worth complaining about.

I was just curious because I know a grip of people bought them during the 303 sale.

qweenmess

• Rep: 18
« Reply #672 on: June 15, 2022, 07:36:47 AM »
Little bit of a cross post/ad (delete if not allowed), I'm selling a barely used Polar P9 deck bc I want the 9" popsicle with wheel wells. I ride a Dane 1 with Ace 55 classics and 58mm wheels, and I just want something slightly smaller as an alternative/backup.

If you're thinking about the p2, if it's similar to the p9 then I would def recommend it. It's a weird shape but it's fun.

The Setup:

Polar P9 deck (8.625 x 32.25, WB: 14.5)
Thunder Lights 149 with Bones hard bushings
Ricta Clouds 92a 56mm
Bones Reds

Everything is practically brand new, Im just going for a different setup. I've ridden this maybe 4-5 times? The trucks are a few years old but they're very lightly used (never did a grind/stall/any trick that involved hard truck contact), and the bushings are brand new.

Asking for $120 obo, preferably local to NYC.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #673 on: June 15, 2022, 09:33:47 AM »
I enjoyed both the P2 and the P9, but they are radically different skateboards.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

qweenmess

« Reply #674 on: June 15, 2022, 09:39:41 AM »

Yea I'm looking at it now and I see the differences. I haven't ridden a P2 but like you said the P9 is enjoyable.

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #675 on: June 15, 2022, 09:48:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yea I'm looking at it now and I see the differences. I haven't ridden a P2 but like you said the P9 is enjoyable.
P9 is a lot of fun. I just set one up and skated it over the weekend. I also use the Dane1 as a slappy setup and love it. Just setup a 92 shape that I’m going to try out after work. I’m excited to compare the 92 shape to the Dane1. They look very similar imo.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 03:26:23 AM by skatesum609 »

mamba

• Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
« Reply #676 on: June 15, 2022, 07:43:41 PM »
I got the football and this is my favorite shape of all time. time to stock up. if anyone at polar is reading this please put it in the main rotation

Vintagebody

• Rep: 75
« Reply #677 on: June 15, 2022, 11:16:01 PM »
How many in this thread have Polar decks with the wrong wheelbase?
I've had like 4 Polar boards with claimed 14.125" WB, which have had way above that...

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #678 on: June 16, 2022, 04:02:02 AM »
I've had like 4 Polar boards with claimed 14.125" WB, which have had way above that...

I think they’re all wrong. I’ve felt like a broken record telling ppl that all their 14.5” wb decks are actually 14.375”. Sometimes up to the point where it really annoys people. I’ve had all their 14.5” wb shapes and measured more and they’ve all been 14.375” consistently.

djoekr

• Rep: 294
« Reply #679 on: June 16, 2022, 05:54:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think they’re all wrong. I’ve felt like a broken record telling ppl that all their 14.5” wb decks are actually 14.375”. Sometimes up to the point where it really annoys people. I’ve had all their 14.5” wb shapes and measured more and they’ve all been 14.375” consistently.

That might explain why I like their 9 inch popsicles so much, never measured it myself though.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #680 on: June 16, 2022, 09:04:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, I skate primarily Polar decks and they are indeed all "wrong". I don't know why they never correct it, but just understand that the wheelbase measurements they advertise are not accurate insofar as we all know how to measure wheelbase. I still think they make some of the best skateboards but what a strange thing to continue to do.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

skatesum609

« Reply #681 on: June 16, 2022, 06:34:16 PM »
P9 shape is solid. Didn’t really take any getting used to. Flipped/skated like a popsicle board for me. I’m definitely going to keep one in the board rotation for a while. I’ll probably use this as the daily driver for a while to switch things up from the popsicle shape. Probably gonna make a p2 setup next.
https://youtube.com/shorts/aSNpcallXEc?feature=share

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #682 on: June 16, 2022, 07:15:26 PM »
P9 shape is solid. Didn’t really take any getting used to. Flipped/skated like a popsicle board for me. I’m definitely going to keep one in the board rotation for a while. I’ll probably use this as the daily driver for a while to switch things up from the popsicle shape. Probably gonna make a p2 setup next.

I loved my p2, definitely one of my favorite shapes I've skated the past couple of years.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 725
« Reply #683 on: June 16, 2022, 07:28:19 PM »

That trash can knock over bash was quite sick

skatesum609

« Reply #684 on: June 16, 2022, 07:36:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I loved my p2, definitely one of my favorite shapes I've skated the past couple of years.
Good to hear! I’ve been running the ps stix 8.5 square shape for years and am ready for a little change
Expand Quote

That trash can knock over bash was quite sick
[close]

Thank you, kind sir

qweenmess

« Reply #685 on: June 16, 2022, 08:45:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That might explain why I like their 9 inch popsicles so much, never measured it myself though.

I really want the 9 inch popsicle w wheel wells but my local shops only have the 8.75. Do you think there's much of a difference? I know I could just get it online but i really wanted to shop local this time

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #686 on: June 17, 2022, 12:38:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Whatever their 8.5" popsicle WB is, I like it! I prefer 14.5 WB the most but if it's 14.375, that's fine with me, too.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #687 on: June 17, 2022, 04:13:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Whatever their 8.5" popsicle WB is, I like it! I prefer 14.5 WB the most but if it's 14.375, that's fine with me, too.

It’s 14.375”. I’ve only briefly skated mine but for me it felt a tad bit short somehow like most Polar decks I’ve tried.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #688 on: June 17, 2022, 05:23:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I really want the 9 inch popsicle w wheel wells but my local shops only have the 8.75. Do you think there's much of a difference? I know I could just get it online but i really wanted to shop local this time

Personal choice, as per everything, but here is my take.

Sure is a significant difference if you are very used to 9" and then go down to an 8.75" board, but also the 8.75" board has a very short and pointy tail, when compared to some other boards, which some people like but some do not.

I would say if they have it in store, go in and look at it, stand on it if you can and that will help make your choice way easier.  At least that way you can say, if only to yourself "Now I have looked at it, this will be ok" or "This is definitely too small for what I want" and then get whichever board best suits you.

While you are in there, you might find something else you can buy to support the local shop, but then get the 9" deck from where ever actually has one in stock, or ask them how hard it is to order one in for you.

Regardless of graphic that 9.0" shape sure does look a lot better:

https://polarskateco.com/collections/9-0/products/hjalte-halberg-lurking-wheel-well

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

jakedilla

• Rep: 12
« Reply #689 on: July 01, 2022, 01:16:54 PM »
Sorry if this has been covered (I wasn’t able to find any details when searching the forum) but does anyone know what happened to the P1 shape? I skated a bunch of these a while back and feel like they kinda just disappeared. I’ve been skating popsicles for the past few years but have been thinking of getting another shaped board and would love another P1.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 01:30:09 PM by jakedilla »