Author Topic: Polar Shapes  (Read 71342 times)

Thebird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 158
Re: Polar Shapes
« Reply #720 on: August 02, 2022, 06:04:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’ve had two P2s and loved them both. I wish I could grab one every time they go on sale. I actually relearned fakie flips on one after striking out on slimmer decks. More beef to land on, I guess. It’s a curb skating machine.
[close]

Alright sold. I only skate curbs. I just saw my local got some P2s in so I’ll snag one Saturday after work.
[close]
Right on! I don’t claim to be a curb skating badass, but for the limited stuff I do, the P2  was the most fun and felt the most “at home”. I’m riding a Real “full” 8.5 at the moment and this deck is a distant second place to the P2. Hope you dig it!
[close]

So curious - what are the differences between the P2 and full 8.5.  I am currently on a full se 8.5 and love it.  Now you have me curious about the P2
[close]

I'm not positive because I've never been on a full se, but the P2 shape seems to combine the full kicks but with a bit of an egg body. I've never confirmed it, but the P2 rails seem to bow outward just slightly. Something about it is magic.

So if it bows out in the center, what is the width at the front and back truck?  Are you guys still using 8.5 trucks on this?

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1150
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #721 on: August 02, 2022, 06:31:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’ve had two P2s and loved them both. I wish I could grab one every time they go on sale. I actually relearned fakie flips on one after striking out on slimmer decks. More beef to land on, I guess. It’s a curb skating machine.
[close]

Alright sold. I only skate curbs. I just saw my local got some P2s in so I’ll snag one Saturday after work.
[close]
Right on! I don’t claim to be a curb skating badass, but for the limited stuff I do, the P2  was the most fun and felt the most “at home”. I’m riding a Real “full” 8.5 at the moment and this deck is a distant second place to the P2. Hope you dig it!
[close]

So curious - what are the differences between the P2 and full 8.5.  I am currently on a full se 8.5 and love it.  Now you have me curious about the P2
[close]

I'm not positive because I've never been on a full se, but the P2 shape seems to combine the full kicks but with a bit of an egg body. I've never confirmed it, but the P2 rails seem to bow outward just slightly. Something about it is magic.
[close]

So if it bows out in the center, what is the width at the front and back truck?  Are you guys still using 8.5 trucks on this?

Yeah, it’s not really an egg, it’s VERY subtle. It just seems to have a much wider body compared to something like a hockey/fa deck. It’s still an 8.5 board so 8.5 trucks work

Thebird

« Reply #722 on: August 02, 2022, 07:37:45 AM »
Would you guys say the nose and tail are steeper or more mellow than a Real full se?

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1181
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #723 on: August 02, 2022, 08:15:09 AM »
Would you guys say the nose and tail are steeper or more mellow than a Real full se?

Depends on the roman numeral of the Real SE... but having skated a bunch of Real Full SE 8.5s and my fav shape being a Polar 8.5, I'd say they are very similar.  The REAL SE is sliiiiiightly more "full" in the nose and tail, but the steepness of the nose and tail are very very similar.
hardly art, hardly starving

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #724 on: August 02, 2022, 10:46:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Depends on the roman numeral of the Real SE... but having skated a bunch of Real Full SE 8.5s and my fav shape being a Polar 8.5, I'd say they are very similar.  The REAL SE is sliiiiiightly more "full" in the nose and tail, but the steepness of the nose and tail are very very similar.

Yeah I’d say this is right. Not as steep as quasi/fa/ hockey noses, but definitely not flat

FUBAR

• Rep: 237
« Reply #725 on: August 02, 2022, 05:52:01 PM »
Im skating a stamped III Real 8.5 full right now. Funny part is, I am REALLY thinking about getting a P2 when its done, which is soon. They seem about the same steepness.

Thebird

« Reply #726 on: August 02, 2022, 06:57:26 PM »
Yeah, mine is stamped III as well, and it is a solid deck.  Reading this thread really has me wanting to try the P2 now.  Do Thunders pair well with ge P2?

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #727 on: August 04, 2022, 05:53:13 AM »

Another guy I know has a really old Polar 8.5 popsicle and the wheelbase is definitely 14.5 on it, so at some point, something changed, but exactly what and when, I don't know.

That is for people who have the Polar 8.5 popsicle with a 14.375 wb - not doubting, but I also want to see one in person of a new board to compare as well as some other shapes too.

Agreed that there are likely different 8.5 pops out there, some marked 14.5 that measure 14.375 (I have two of these). Some stickered 14.375 that likely measure 14.375 (see Zack Dowdy's last setup vid), and now some reports of true 14.5 wb back in action with possibly a modified shape too.

What's awesome is that I've finally decided that I'll skate 8.5 Polars with wheel wells for the rest of my life but as always it comes down to availability...
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

danmasontree

• Rep: 16
« Reply #728 on: August 04, 2022, 05:46:49 PM »
Currently skating a quasi, debating trying out a p2 or a snack board. Any advice or tips from anyone?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #729 on: August 04, 2022, 05:48:57 PM »
Yeah, mine is stamped III as well, and it is a solid deck.  Reading this thread really has me wanting to try the P2 now.  Do Thunders pair well with ge P2?

I switched from Indy to thunders with mine, felt better immediately. Definitely my preference.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #730 on: August 04, 2022, 10:59:46 PM »
Expand Quote

Another guy I know has a really old Polar 8.5 popsicle and the wheelbase is definitely 14.5 on it, so at some point, something changed, but exactly what and when, I don't know.

That is for people who have the Polar 8.5 popsicle with a 14.375 wb - not doubting, but I also want to see one in person of a new board to compare as well as some other shapes too.
[close]

Agreed that there are likely different 8.5 pops out there, some marked 14.5 that measure 14.375 (I have two of these). Some stickered 14.375 that likely measure 14.375 (see Zack Dowdy's last setup vid), and now some reports of true 14.5 wb back in action with possibly a modified shape too.

What's awesome is that I've finally decided that I'll skate 8.5 Polars with wheel wells for the rest of my life but as always it comes down to availability...

For sure. 

At least keeping an eye out for the releases on the Polar site or social media and buy up whatever you can, when you can, but I would imagine with how popular they are, there shouldn't be a shortage of that size, shape and wheel wells in the near future.

You never can tell what might happen for future drops or stock offerings, but I definitely enjoyed having a stockpile of favourite boards I got when I could, especially when things were hard to find during the pandemic.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #731 on: August 06, 2022, 01:40:34 PM »

Wanted to have a totally different setup than my normal setup just to keep it interesting and be able to switch setups whenever. Pieced this together today.

Polar Dane 1 9.75
Krux k5 9.0
Spitfire f4 54mm, now 52
Bones reds

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #732 on: August 08, 2022, 08:18:14 AM »
Has anyone had a polar slick?  If so, are they similar to everslicks or real slicks? I’m assuming Real since they’re BBS but I’ve seen a few Polars that were labeled “everslick”

Lurkey

• LA fool
« Reply #733 on: August 08, 2022, 11:39:29 AM »
Has anyone had a polar slick?  If so, are they similar to everslicks or real slicks? I’m assuming Real since they’re BBS but I’ve seen a few Polars that were labeled “everslick”

I've never had a Real slick, but Polar ones are a super thin and textured layer that wears through fairly easily.
I've had a Crail slick before that's smooth, matte, and basically as thick as a ply.

Lurkey

• LA fool
« Reply #734 on: August 09, 2022, 09:35:45 AM »
Anyone ridden the Surf Sr.? I had a Surf Jr. when they first dropped, too short for me, wonder if the bigger one will work for me. Just love the look of them.

Mulldrifter

« Reply #735 on: August 09, 2022, 03:39:20 PM »
if you didnt like the short nose of the Jr, i think it's the same size on the Sr.
harder to pop off the nose for sure, but it's possible

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #736 on: August 13, 2022, 05:21:29 PM »
On the topic of the surf shapes, I was thinking about trying the surf SR shape, but dont't know what trucks to get. I loved Ace 44 classics with the JR, but those seem kind of small for the SR. anyone have recommendations?

Wafools

• Rep: 42
« Reply #737 on: August 14, 2022, 09:07:50 AM »

Posted this in the set up thread
P2 Jr 8.25
Ace AF1 55
Spit F4 52 99 duro
Mob
7/8 Allen.

gmld

• Rep: 9
« Reply #738 on: August 29, 2022, 02:48:04 PM »
Hi everybody. I Just bought this P9 from a friend Who didn't skate It, and i would listen what you guys think about. I've put my 5.8 ventures on It, but i also have some Indy hollows 149. Should i keep the ventures on or should i put the indys?
I had a Lil sesh with the ventures and it's pretty good, but i also know how good the turning Is with indys so i dont really know what to do! Give me some opinions c'mon!   :D

Gruenetuer

• Rep: 5
« Reply #739 on: August 29, 2022, 10:33:17 PM »
Hi everybody. I Just bought this P9 from a friend Who didn't skate It, and i would listen what you guys think about. I've put my 5.8 ventures on It, but i also have some Indy hollows 149. Should i keep the ventures on or should i put the indys?
I had a Lil sesh with the ventures and it's pretty good, but i also know how good the turning Is with indys so i dont really know what to do! Give me some opinions c'mon!   :D
I think the 149 is just right.  i have a 1991 surf jr that is very similar.  I have Ace 55 Classic on an 8.75 with Spitfire conical full 56mm and they stick out extremely at the back.  I have the 149 Indys with Minilogo 55 mm wheels on the Surf Jr 1991 and they fit perfectly.

Gruenetuer

• Rep: 5
« Reply #740 on: August 29, 2022, 10:39:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I think the 149 is just right.  i have a 1991 surf jr that is very similar.  I have Ace 55 Classic on an 8.75 with Spitfire conical full 56mm and they stick out extremely at the back.  I have the 149 Indys with Minilogo 55 mm wheels on the Surf Jr 1991 and they fit perfectly.
I mean the Ace 55 Classic Stick Out extremely at the Back of the Surf Jr.1991.

gmld

• Rep: 9
« Reply #741 on: August 30, 2022, 07:51:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
I mean the Ace 55 Classic Stick Out extremely at the Back of the Surf Jr.1991.
Thank you! Yeah i kept ventures 5.8 on It and It felt okay on today's sesh.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #742 on: September 05, 2022, 06:48:50 AM »
Seeing the new decks with the correct WBs hitting shops. One I keep seeing is the 8.5 p2 that still has the 14.5. Did that update to 14.375 or remain with the original WB?
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Wafools

• Rep: 42
« Reply #743 on: September 05, 2022, 10:01:14 AM »
Seeing the new decks with the correct WBs hitting shops. One I keep seeing is the 8.5 p2 that still has the 14.5. Did that update to 14.375 or remain with the original WB?

I keep seeing some with 14.5 and some say 14.3. I think they are still getting it figured out so maybe the next drop will be more consistent.

Lurkey

• LA fool
« Reply #744 on: November 04, 2022, 08:13:53 AM »
Any update on WB? Seeing 8.375 popsicle listed as 14.375 now and wonder if it's accurate

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #745 on: November 04, 2022, 06:08:40 PM »
Any update on WB? Seeing 8.375 popsicle listed as 14.375 now and wonder if it's accurate

The older 8.375 did have a 14.375 wb (definitely not 14.5) but I think it was more the 8.5 board that others had said they had, one option with 14.5 and one option with 14.375 that I still haven't seen in person to check either.

I am curious too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 258
« Reply #746 on: November 05, 2022, 11:11:25 AM »
Posted this in the egg thread, but thought I'd share here as well.

Had a blast with this Polar 8.75 football. My first egg shaped board. And my first time back out since blowing out my knee out at the end of August.

Have to say…I was all in on the full/shovel nose shape (Quasi and Metal) and didn’t think I’d dig the egg. I had so much fun with it. I was mostly skating small transition and it really carved like a surf board.

Polar 8.75 Football
Indy 159s
Snot 56mm Snelling Dawgs
Bronson Raws

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #747 on: November 09, 2022, 06:49:36 AM »

Had a blast with this Polar 8.75 football. My first egg shaped board. And my first time back out since blowing out my knee out at the end of August.

Have to say…I was all in on the full/shovel nose shape (Quasi and Metal) and didn’t think I’d dig the egg. I had so much fun with it. I was mostly skating small transition and it really carved like a surf board.

Polar 8.75 Football
Indy 159s
Snot 56mm Snelling Dawgs
Bronson Raws

what's the wheelbase?

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 258
« Reply #748 on: November 09, 2022, 06:56:59 AM »
Expand Quote

Polar 8.75 Football
Indy 159s
Snot 56mm Snelling Dawgs
Bronson Raws

[close]

what's the wheelbase?

The Polar site says 14.375, but I haven't had a chance to measure in person. I can do that this evening, though.

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #749 on: November 23, 2022, 04:22:29 AM »
On the topic of the surf shapes, I was thinking about trying the surf SR shape, but dont't know what trucks to get. I loved Ace 44 classics with the JR, but those seem kind of small for the SR. anyone have recommendations?

i have a quite similar question: i´d like to put my thunder 148s on either a surf jr or maybe 91jr shape....some polar with a slight shape to it.
How wide is the surf jr above the trucks? Like front and back?