Author Topic: Polar Shapes  (Read 70240 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Polar Shapes
« Reply #750 on: November 23, 2022, 04:37:53 AM »
Expand Quote
On the topic of the surf shapes, I was thinking about trying the surf SR shape, but dont't know what trucks to get. I loved Ace 44 classics with the JR, but those seem kind of small for the SR. anyone have recommendations?
[close]

i have a quite similar question: i´d like to put my thunder 148s on either a surf jr or maybe 91jr shape....some polar with a slight shape to it.
How wide is the surf jr above the trucks? Like front and back?
ace 44s fit the surf junior perfectly, tapers down a bit in the back so you could probs get away with the thunders, I’m thinking 149 would be a better fit though…

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Mulldrifter

• Rep: 16
« Reply #751 on: November 23, 2022, 05:06:00 AM »
it also depends the kind of wheels you ride on that surf jr, with super and mini juice you can go 8.25 trucks, otherwise i would recommand 8.5.
for the sr i would go 8.75, or 8.5 with wide wheels set up.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
« Reply #752 on: November 23, 2022, 05:06:27 AM »
Expand Quote
On the topic of the surf shapes, I was thinking about trying the surf SR shape, but dont't know what trucks to get. I loved Ace 44 classics with the JR, but those seem kind of small for the SR. anyone have recommendations?
[close]

i have a quite similar question: i´d like to put my thunder 148s on either a surf jr or maybe 91jr shape....some polar with a slight shape to it.

I have a 91 Jr on deck and when I gave it a quick test run I was using Indy 159s and they felt great.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1303
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #753 on: November 23, 2022, 10:47:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I have a 91 Jr on deck and when I gave it a quick test run I was using Indy 159s and they felt great.
1991 jr is 8.25 over the back trucks and 8.5 over the front trucks. Either 148s or 149s would work
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
« Reply #754 on: November 23, 2022, 11:18:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
1991 jr is 8.25 over the back trucks and 8.5 over the front trucks. Either 148s or 149s would work

I generally prefer bigger trucks and the 159s work for me. They don’t stick out at all; can’t see them from above. That’s just what I like.

Of course I realize 149s would probably better suit most people.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 01:09:16 PM by WelcomeToHell »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #755 on: November 23, 2022, 05:01:43 PM »
Does anyone know if the 8.375x32.1x14.375 is the same/generic BBS 8.375?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #756 on: November 23, 2022, 05:56:34 PM »

The one I have with the two smoking heads on it (might be a bit older) is the same as the Generator shop boards in 8.375 with 14.375 and more like 32 even in length.

Not sure if they have updated it since though.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #757 on: November 23, 2022, 06:39:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The one I have with the two smoking heads on it (might be a bit older) is the same as the Generator shop boards in 8.375 with 14.375 and more like 32 even in length.

Not sure if they have updated it since though.

I'm sitting on an April BBS that is listed as the same dims (and actually comes up just under/at 32"), not really a fan of it so didn't want to double dip.

I did notice that they've updated/added an 8.25x32x14.25 (vs the 8.25x32.875x14.125); curious what shape that is in the BBS catalog.

I'm chasing wheelwells for some thunder time and options are limited...Monarch or Polar.

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #758 on: November 26, 2022, 02:52:50 AM »
Thanks to all you guys for the detailed reply regarding the trucks to go with the shaped polar bloards!

Can't decide if i fuck around with the 148s and some wide cruiser wheels or wider trucks and regular wheels now....oh well

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #759 on: November 29, 2022, 10:21:13 AM »
Pretty amazing. Polar 8.38 with wheel wells makes a huge difference. 58mm og classic f4 and standard Indy. Thing is so surfy it’s crazy. Minimal to no wheel bite.

I can’t buy new gear for a while because I’ve been splurging over Black Friday. But next polar shape is forsure the 8.5 p2 with wheel wells.

My previous 8.5 p2’s have been the 14.38 wheelbase not the 14.5

Lurkey

• Rep: 16
  • LA fool
« Reply #760 on: November 29, 2022, 10:49:46 AM »
Anyone know when the next season of boards drop?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #761 on: November 29, 2022, 02:32:59 PM »
Pretty amazing. Polar 8.38 with wheel wells makes a huge difference. 58mm og classic f4 and standard Indy. Thing is so surfy it’s crazy. Minimal to no wheel bite.

I can’t buy new gear for a while because I’ve been splurging over Black Friday. But next polar shape is forsure the 8.5 p2 with wheel wells.

I'm off the board for a few weeks due to injury and haven't purchased anything for BF/CM, but I'm usually an 8.3/14.3 WB guy and I've been eyeing this P2 with WW in 8.5....coming off the 8.3 Manderson/Thunders I think this might be the right choice.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #762 on: November 29, 2022, 04:19:00 PM »
Anyone know when the next season of boards drop?
their winter hardgoods dropped next week last year.

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #763 on: November 29, 2022, 06:13:55 PM »

The wheel well decks are the shit. I’ve not skated the P5 but I’ll almost always take the wheel well option for any Polar deck, shaped or popsicle, when it’s available. I should try the P5.

I, too, enjoy the big wheels. 58mm on an 8.38? Nice.

If Polar consistently had 8.75 and 9.0 wheel well decks in every drop I’d probably buy nothing else.
(That’s absolutely not true)

My local shop won’t be carrying Polar decks with wheel wells anymore because they don’t sell well. I’m sad about that, and I guess I understand. Also, I do not understand.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #764 on: November 30, 2022, 08:12:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The wheel well decks are the shit. I’ve not skated the P5 but I’ll almost always take the wheel well option for any Polar deck, shaped or popsicle, when it’s available. I should try the P5.

I, too, enjoy the big wheels. 58mm on an 8.38? Nice.

If Polar consistently had 8.75 and 9.0 wheel well decks in every drop I’d probably buy nothing else.
(That’s absolutely not true)

My local shop won’t be carrying Polar decks with wheel wells anymore because they don’t sell well. I’m sad about that, and I guess I understand. Also, I do not understand.

I had things like that happen quite a lot.

A few people always wanted certain things, but when the shop got them in they never sold, so we stopped ordering them.

One of the best ways to go around this is have a standing order, sometimes with or without deposit for any specific things from said shop, but it also comes down to how willing they are as well as how much you might be able to get cheaper from elsewhere, weighing up the pros and cons of all of that.

I know when I find something I like, I will usually try to track down any and all of them, within reason, so at least I have a backlog of the item, so I will never run out.  Sometimes that is just not possible, but other times it has been good, when things run short.

A few options and a different point of view anyway.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #765 on: January 16, 2023, 01:43:17 PM »
So how is everyone's experiences with the Surf Jr shape? Is it best kept as a cruiser board or is it functional for everyday park use eg mini ramps and bowls?

These are the specs incase anyone was wondering:

Deck Specs:
Width: 8.75"
Length: 31.5"
Wheelbase: 13.875"
Nose: 6.25"
Tail: 6.5"

I'm a tall guy and the wheelbase is pretty short so I'm not sure if it would work for me, but the shape looks so sick and the Shin Sanbongi graphics are rad too.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #766 on: January 16, 2023, 02:46:48 PM »
Cruiser status only, for me. I think I'd prefer the Surf Sr. I have a JR right now and I'm over it. Nose is too short and I can't do squared tails anymore. Too narrow over the back bolts. If anyone in Portland and wants a lightly used Surf Jr it is yours.

Its just too much of a contrast to the boards I've been skating the last couple of years, mostly egg type shapes,  Huffers and Love seats.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #767 on: January 16, 2023, 03:20:13 PM »
Cruiser status only, for me. I think I'd prefer the Surf Sr. I have a JR right now and I'm over it. Nose is too short and I can't do squared tails anymore. Too narrow over the back bolts. If anyone in Portland and wants a lightly used Surf Jr it is yours.

Its just too much of a contrast to the boards I've been skating the last couple of years, mostly egg type shapes,  Huffers and Love seats.

That's interesting because the dimensions for the surf sr aren't too different to the surf jr.

Wheel Wells
Dimensions : 9 (Widest Point) x 31.6"
Nose: 6.3"
Wheelbase : 14.5"
Tail: 6.55"

So just a 5/8ths difference in wheelbase and then a quarter inch in the width.

I'm personally just wondering what it's like riding a shorter wheelbase like that and actually trying to do tricks, i've never seriously tried to ride a board like that.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #768 on: January 16, 2023, 04:27:06 PM »
So how is everyone's experiences with the Surf Jr shape? Is it best kept as a cruiser board or is it functional for everyday park use eg mini ramps and bowls?

Deck Specs:

I'm a tall guy and the wheelbase is pretty short so I'm not sure if it would work for me, but the shape looks so sick and the Shin Sanbongi graphics are rad too.

Where did you get those dimensions for the Surf jr from?

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #769 on: January 16, 2023, 04:58:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's interesting because the dimensions for the surf sr aren't too different to the surf jr.

Wheel Wells
Dimensions : 9 (Widest Point) x 31.6"
Nose: 6.3"
Wheelbase : 14.5"
Tail: 6.55"

So just a 5/8ths difference in wheelbase and then a quarter inch in the width.

I'm personally just wondering what it's like riding a shorter wheelbase like that and actually trying to do tricks, i've never seriously tried to ride a board like that.

No but the Surf Jr is just that little bit too small for my big feet to be fun even as a cruiser (I don't really like mini cruisers). I'm not into either surf shape at this time. They look cool especially under Shin's feet but I can't make them work for me.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #770 on: January 16, 2023, 05:45:59 PM »
Expand Quote

Deck Specs:

[close]

Here https://socalskateshop.com/Polar-Shin-Sanbongi-Mt-Fuji-Surf-Jr-Wheel-Wells-Shaped-Skateboard-Deck-875x315.html

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #771 on: January 16, 2023, 09:53:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Deck Specs:

[close]

[close]

Here https://socalskateshop.com/Polar-Shin-Sanbongi-Mt-Fuji-Surf-Jr-Wheel-Wells-Shaped-Skateboard-Deck-875x315.html

Unfortunatly Socal got it wrong its 14.375wb

I always wanted one but don't really like wb that long myself

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #772 on: January 16, 2023, 10:21:51 PM »
Surf junior is a fine as a real board, w/b feels shorter than 14.375. My son rides one at the moment, nollie tricks can be a tad tricky but other than that it’s a tonne of fun. Alternatively you could rock a passport spade which has a slightly bigger nose (at least it feels like it to me) and a slightly rounder, but still squarish , tail. Surf Jr. wasn’t even called the junior when it first dropped and the 9.0 doesn’t seem like it’s really different enough to warrant there being a jr and sr imho…

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

treeebark

• Rep: 11
« Reply #773 on: January 31, 2023, 02:45:46 PM »
not a shape question, but this seemed like the best place to ask rather than making a new thread — does anyone know what grip Polar decks come with when you purchased direct from polarskateco.com?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #774 on: January 31, 2023, 03:27:23 PM »
not a shape question, but this seemed like the best place to ask rather than making a new thread — does anyone know what grip Polar decks come with when you purchased direct from polarskateco.com?

I think someone had said Jessup, but that was from a while back.

They might reply if you email or ask them.

treeebark

« Reply #775 on: January 31, 2023, 03:29:30 PM »
Expand Quote
not a shape question, but this seemed like the best place to ask rather than making a new thread — does anyone know what grip Polar decks come with when you purchased direct from polarskateco.com?
[close]

appreciate it! i'll shoot them an email as well and report back if i get a reply.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #776 on: January 31, 2023, 05:17:39 PM »

If you’re in the US, it’s Jessup

treeebark

« Reply #777 on: February 01, 2023, 10:40:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yep got a quick response which was nice, it's Jessup (I'm in the US).

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #778 on: February 04, 2023, 09:04:08 PM »
Is the WB on the P9 also shorter than listed?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #779 on: February 05, 2023, 02:35:42 AM »
Is the WB on the P9 also shorter than listed?

I’ve got a P9 Oski slick here in my stack from a few years back and that at least has 14.375” wheelbase like all other I’ve come across before. Would be interested in seeing if the new ones are what is listed like has been suggested in this thread a while back. I kinda gave up on Polar a few years ago as I found everything a bit too short for my liking.