Author Topic: Polar Shapes  (Read 69614 times)

Big Baby Jesus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
Polar Shapes
« on: August 20, 2020, 06:19:20 AM »
Just got a polar 8.75 football and it's got me curious about their other shapes? Anyone have any feedback on the P2 P9 or arrigato? 1991 and 1992 as well if you got it but I'm more interested in the first 3.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
Re: Polar Shapes
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 06:37:58 AM »
Never had the p2 or p9 but I've had the 91, 92, and dane1

That being said, I think that the p9 might be a slimmed down version of the 91. Sorry that probably doesn't help at all.

But of the three that I've had I prefer the Dane1, super fun shape
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 07:53:14 AM »
Currently have Dane 1 and Shin Surf model set up. Both really fun but not ideal (for me) to do my best skateboarding. I love shaped boards but the short noses throw me off. Hard lesson I just learned. I've also skated the P1 and P2s and found those super functional. I really liked the P5 (I think) 8.5 pop with the squared off nose and tail.

I have a Shin skate rabbit on ice right now and that looks great, basically a popsicle that's 8.75 up front that sidecuts into 8.38 out back but with good nose and tail shape and dimensions.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 09:04:33 AM »
P2 is probably my favorite board shape. On one now and have had a few in the past. I really only do noseslide and Kgrind variations, so the big blocky nose is really nice for those. The tapered tail is good for scooping tricks and it doesn’t start until the bolts. So you don’t need to ride smaller trucks on it. If they’d make a 8.6 with a 14.25 wb, I’d never ride another deck.

vhsfisheye

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 10:35:57 AM »
just bought an arigato ill let you know how it is once its set up

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 01:15:08 PM »
My P2 Chatman arrives today so I’ll also chime in after a while

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 01:29:21 PM »
have skated around on the Dane, 1992, and the newest Shin, I could never skate any of them as a main board but see how they could compliment certain styles of skating.

the P2 is also a fun one, my buddy has had 4 this summer , 8.25 on the back truck , 8.5 on the front, that scooped out shovel nose is crazy, but as I normally skate an 8"-8.125" I was still able to skate this one surprisingly well.

roommate just got an Arigato yesterday so I am curious how that one skates, definitely one of the weirder shapes

the Football shape is pretty cool , have just cruised on that one, and I'm not the biggest fan of the P9

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 02:30:06 PM »
The 1992 shape is wonderful, just set it up with 159s because 149s are too small.
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

maggotspawn

• Rep: 4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2020, 04:00:42 PM »

This 1991 is calling me. Probably going to snag it.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2020, 04:17:18 PM »
have skated around on the Dane, 1992, and the newest Shin, I could never skate any of them as a main board but see how they could compliment certain styles of skating.

the P2 is also a fun one, my buddy has had 4 this summer , 8.25 on the back truck , 8.5 on the front, that scooped out shovel nose is crazy, but as I normally skate an 8"-8.125" I was still able to skate this one surprisingly well.

roommate just got an Arigato yesterday so I am curious how that one skates, definitely one of the weirder shapes

the Football shape is pretty cool , have just cruised on that one, and I'm not the biggest fan of the P9

Leaning heavily towards a p2 vs a reg 8.5. please do let me know about the arrigato.

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2020, 06:16:49 PM »
More info here:
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=107835.0

I just setup a 1992 to push around on - I feel like anything that big and shapey is gonna be a cruiser for me, basically anything over 8.5

I liked the P8. Defs agree with the Welcome comparison cause the dims makes it sound bigger than it feels but you can skate it as a normal street board.

The Arigato seems like an updated P8 in pics, super squared off and the same riders seem to have had pro models on both shapes?

sketchyrider

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2020, 07:37:25 PM »
P2 is probably my favorite board shape. On one now and have had a few in the past. I really only do noseslide and Kgrind variations, so the big blocky nose is really nice for those. The tapered tail is good for scooping tricks and it doesn’t start until the bolts. So you don’t need to ride smaller trucks on it. If they’d make a 8.6 with a 14.25 wb, I’d never ride another deck.

not exactly what you want, but they make an 8.625 with a 14.375 wb. i really wanna try it actually.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2020, 07:40:49 PM »
I have no idea what the designated shape is, but I have a 9" Polar popsicle and it's one of the best decks of its kind I have skated. I have two completes, and I have gone through a number of others while the Polar keeps skating perfectly after basically an entire summer. Can't really recommend it enough. Going to keep skating these, for sure
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

vhsfisheye

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2020, 10:47:10 PM »
i can confirm the arigato is a beast, i got the wheel well version and i dont think ive ever liked a shape more.

the nose is super square and long, tails pretty pig and even more squared off

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2020, 10:49:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

not exactly what you want, but they make an 8.625 with a 14.375 wb. i really wanna try it actually.

It’s a fun shape. Full nose and tapered tail. I just really dig the square nose on the p2.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2020, 12:36:03 AM »
On Shin’s surf model at the moment but the nose is way mellow so you have to think about the direction it’s going before tricks (I.e. quick shove it before you nollie etc.), would be a great park board but I don’t know if I’ll do too much on it other than cruise. Arigato shape seems like it would fit me well dimensions wise but they’re pretty hard to come across ....

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

eckstarr

• Rep: 1
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2020, 12:58:07 AM »
VHS has summed up the Arigato quite well. My 8.38 tapered down to about 8.18 from front to back, steepish kicks and full concave. I think I’d love that board even more if it was a true full shape With a .25 inch longer tail

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2020, 03:19:38 AM »
VHS has summed up the Arigato quite well. My 8.38 tapered down to about 8.18 from front to back, steepish kicks and full concave. I think I’d love that board even more if it was a true full shape With a .25 inch longer tail

Thanks for all the feedback pals. Going with the P2 for now. The arrigato sounds great and I want to try a shorter board with a small WB But that taper is too much for my 5.8 ventures.

vhsfisheye

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2020, 08:14:56 AM »

Aii eckstarr what size trucks are you riding on your arigato? im riding venture 5.2 and they fit well on the tail cause of the taper but they could be biger on the nose im debating on grabbing some 5.6's or 149's but im scared they'll be too big. i wear size 7 shoes and im only 5'4 so i can only go so big on the deck width.

sexhaver2006

• Rep: -13
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2020, 03:52:08 PM »
Anyone know how big the 1992 is over the back truck? I have some thunder 161's (9.1 in axle) that im hoping will work. Pretty sure theyre gonna be too big tho...

eckstarr

• Rep: 1
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2020, 04:01:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Aii eckstarr what size trucks are you riding on your arigato? im riding venture 5.2 and they fit well on the tail cause of the taper but they could be biger on the nose im debating on grabbing some 5.6's or 149's but im scared they'll be too big. i wear size 7 shoes and im only 5'4 so i can only go so big on the deck width.

Have used both Tensor 5.5 ATG and Thunder 148, so essentially 8.25 trucks. Anything wider may look a bit strange at the tail end, depends on your OCD level though

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2020, 05:14:21 PM »
Anyone know how big the 1992 is over the back truck? I have some thunder 161's (9.1 in axle) that im hoping will work. Pretty sure theyre gonna be too big tho...

It tapers to 8.5, I've got Ace 55's (9" axle) on mine and they fit almost perfect, no turtling.

FUBAR

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2020, 06:47:40 AM »
After a couple flatground sessions on my P2, I will say I love it. I’m learning dumb stuff like switch shove-its and those fakie big spins everyone hates, and maybe its in my head, but doing stuff off the nose is a dream. If you skate 8.5s, this may be worth checking out. Wood feels solid, too. The grip it came with sucks ass, but that is my fault for not upgrading.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2020, 05:45:30 PM »
After a couple flatground sessions on my P2, I will say I love it. I’m learning dumb stuff like switch shove-its and those fakie big spins everyone hates, and maybe its in my head, but doing stuff off the nose is a dream. If you skate 8.5s, this may be worth checking out. Wood feels solid, too. The grip it came with sucks ass, but that is my fault for not upgrading.

What trucks are you using on it?

FUBAR

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2020, 06:49:32 PM »
Thunder 149 lights.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2020, 01:21:47 AM »
how are the kicks on the P2 shape?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2020, 01:32:52 PM »
I pulled the trigger and bought this P2

I'm riding some 5.8 Venture hi's at the moment, so we'll see how this shape meshes.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 02:33:55 PM by Lenny the Fatface »

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2020, 03:16:06 PM »
I pulled the trigger and bought this P2

I'm riding some 5.8 Venture hi's at the moment, so we'll see how this shape meshes.

Just picked this up yesterday. On some 5.8 too. Really excited. First time on a P2.

ballintoohard

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2020, 04:35:08 PM »
anyone know where i can cop the shin sanbongi with the wheel wells?