Author Topic: Polar Shapes  (Read 69598 times)

FrozenIndustries

Re: Polar Shapes
« Reply #420 on: July 28, 2021, 09:40:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Dane 1 I’ve had for a bit, skated it with 159s and thunder 151s and hated it.

Decided to stick my 66s on it and I think they fit fine 🤷🏻‍♂️ Love it now!
Worn down conical 52 f4s with reds

[close]
Danes and Aces: perfect combo like peanut butter and jelly

I currently have Ace 55s on the same deck, been really loving it. Sometimes I wonder if I undersized the trucks a little, but a deck with that much taper can kinda go either way imo— either match the wider or the narrower section. Having more leverage on edges that extend (magic carpet style) out past the wheels can put you into tighter turns, but has the trade off that it also risks more wheelbite. ...Right?

Another interesting tidbit: Paul Schmitt claimed in his recent 9 Club ep that slightly narrower trucks can actually help on slappies for some sort of physics reason I don’t totally understand. He’s kind of a weirdo so idk how true it is but interesting to think about. Maybe bc you just get more twitchy control over the trucks?

I don't always agree with what he has to say, but I felt very validated or reassured or whatever with his comment about that.

When your wheels sit in from the edge of your board, you have more leverage to get up on to the curb. I know the standard train of thought is wider is better for slappies, but for me an Ace 44 has always worked better than say a 55 and it has always confused me. Now I feel like I have a bit of an explanation.

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #421 on: July 28, 2021, 12:10:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I currently have Ace 55s on the same deck, been really loving it. Sometimes I wonder if I undersized the trucks a little, but a deck with that much taper can kinda go either way imo— either match the wider or the narrower section. Having more leverage on edges that extend (magic carpet style) out past the wheels can put you into tighter turns, but has the trade off that it also risks more wheelbite. ...Right?

Another interesting tidbit: Paul Schmitt claimed in his recent 9 Club ep that slightly narrower trucks can actually help on slappies for some sort of physics reason I don’t totally understand. He’s kind of a weirdo so idk how true it is but interesting to think about. Maybe bc you just get more twitchy control over the trucks?
[close]

I don't always agree with what he has to say, but I felt very validated or reassured or whatever with his comment about that.

When your wheels sit in from the edge of your board, you have more leverage to get up on to the curb. I know the standard train of thought is wider is better for slappies, but for me an Ace 44 has always worked better than say a 55 and it has always confused me. Now I feel like I have a bit of an explanation.

If you ride a magic carpet, the narrower truck is easier to navigate toward the railside of the deck. If you stand on the edges of your deck, (which you probably will for bs slappies) it is a bit easier to tip the board sideways since the narrower trucks doesn't get in the way.
Hope that made sense, english isn't my first language.
IG: @flowterspace

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #422 on: July 28, 2021, 06:53:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

If you ride a magic carpet, the narrower truck is easier to navigate toward the railside of the deck. If you stand on the edges of your deck, (which you probably will for bs slappies) it is a bit easier to tip the board sideways since the narrower trucks doesn't get in the way.
Hope that made sense, english isn't my first language.

yes exactly.

Shoebox

• Rep: 14
« Reply #423 on: July 30, 2021, 01:17:41 AM »
I’d like to get some 55s to try but I already had the 66s so thought I’d give them a go.
Aces are the perfect truck for a Dane for sure hope they keep the shape going I’ll be having another one.

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #424 on: July 30, 2021, 03:55:39 AM »
I don’t know what I’d do without a dane1
Me too.

CaderSk8r

• Rep: 19
« Reply #425 on: July 31, 2021, 09:40:28 AM »
Really enjoying the 8.5 shape. Kinda reminds me of a slightly less squared off FA nose with a tapered DLX tail. Wheelbase on mine was 14.38 and not the advertised 14.5. I would suggest it to people who like FA/Hockey decks but don’t like the short tails. Wheel wells are also the truth!

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #426 on: August 03, 2021, 10:41:36 AM »
Really enjoying the 8.5 shape. Kinda reminds me of a slightly less squared off FA nose with a tapered DLX tail. Wheelbase on mine was 14.38 and not the advertised 14.5. I would suggest it to people who like FA/Hockey decks but don’t like the short tails. Wheel wells are also the truth!

The wheelbase of every single Polar deck I’ve measured has been less than advertised. I think they measure it wrong like Heroin did. Outer edge to the outer edge of the holes probably instead of center to center or outer to inner or inner to outer.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #427 on: August 04, 2021, 06:40:31 PM »
My 8.25 WB measures longer at 14.25.

Speaking of that can anyone confirm that all current 8.25 are like this? I love this shape.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #428 on: August 05, 2021, 12:26:55 PM »
My 8.25 WB measures longer at 14.25.

Speaking of that can anyone confirm that all current 8.25 are like this? I love this shape.

Yeah all the 8.25s seem to be the same mold. That longer tail is great and the sticker says 14.125 wb. But feels more like 14.25 wb to me personally.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #429 on: August 05, 2021, 01:26:51 PM »
Measures 14.25 center to center and the nose is shorter than stated. Really digging it and have a second on the way. The kicks feel like the perfect shape for me, sorta pointy but not like a Baker and have some fullness from the steepness.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #430 on: August 07, 2021, 12:18:11 PM »
After a few p2 and p9 shapes I decided to branch out a little bit. Both look like a lot of FUN.

Polar Dane1
Ace 55
Spitfire 60mm OG Classics
Krooked Risers
Super Reds
Shorty's Hardware
Mob

Polar 8.75 Football
Indy 149 forged Hollow
Spitfire 52mm OG Classics
Reds
Bronze Hardware
Mob

flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Kevve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #431 on: August 19, 2021, 04:36:57 AM »
How do u guys like the 9" surf shape? Im afraid that The Nose might be too short for my Long legs? Nose is 6,5" & overall length is 31,5 which sounds very Short in my head.

Everything else ticks My boxes; Wheelbase, width, wheels wells.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #432 on: August 19, 2021, 07:31:08 AM »
How do u guys like the 9" surf shape? Im afraid that The Nose might be too short for my Long legs? Nose is 6,5" & overall length is 31,5 which sounds very Short in my head.

6'5 all legs, rough times with a sub 6.75 nose regardless of the other dims. every trick looks worse, less control with my flick and leveling out, nollie pop goes straight to hell, etc

good for a cruiser or a "fun" board but i quit having multiple setups a minute ago
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #433 on: August 19, 2021, 07:42:02 AM »
I had a tonne of fun with my 8.75 version but yeah, you might struggle if it’s your only setup and you like nollie tricks and/ or slappy nose slides

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Kevve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #434 on: August 19, 2021, 12:41:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
6'5 all legs, rough times with a sub 6.75 nose regardless of the other dims. every trick looks worse, less control with my flick and leveling out, nollie pop goes straight to hell, etc

good for a cruiser or a "fun" board but i quit having multiple setups a minute ago

Thanks for the input guys, so hard to find shapes im Comfy on! I found a 9" pop from polar so i safed and got it instead. Such a tank but really nimble with some aces

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #435 on: August 19, 2021, 12:58:15 PM »
Ordered a grund surf jr. Please stay tuned for my review, from the perspective of a chubby guy who can barely ollie.

Slugboi22

• Rep: 62
« Reply #436 on: August 19, 2021, 01:10:56 PM »
Ordered a grund surf jr. Please stay tuned for my review, from the perspective of a chubby guy who can barely ollie.
looking forward to your review considering i’m in the same boat. Picked up a 91 Jr and the shape looks great! stoked to set it up after my 8.5 popsicle

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #437 on: August 31, 2021, 02:05:05 PM »
Anybody run 159s on the Surf Jr shape? I reallllly don't want to downsize trucks but if its going to hotrod like crazy in the back I'll do it.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #438 on: August 31, 2021, 02:07:59 PM »
Anybody run 159s on the Surf Jr shape? I reallllly don't want to downsize trucks but if its going to hotrod like crazy in the back I'll do it.

I have the same question.

white guy in a durag

« Reply #439 on: August 31, 2021, 04:07:48 PM »
I think it's worth a shot. I've got 8.5" trucks on mine, wide ass wheels, and extra washers on the inside; and I've only got a little monster trucking in the back. If you favor slimmer wheels, you might not even notice. I do have a high tolerance for monster trucking, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #440 on: August 31, 2021, 05:58:33 PM »

Too much hot rod for my taste out the back. I just got one and I'm about to set it up (after I digest the tempeh burrito I just murdered) with Classic 44s and wide OJ mini juice. 8.25 to 8.5" trucks seem to fit best on that shape.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #441 on: August 31, 2021, 06:11:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Too much hot rod for my taste out the back. I just got one and I'm about to set it up (after I digest the tempeh burrito I just murdered) with Classic 44s and wide OJ mini juice. 8.25 to 8.5" trucks seem to fit best on that shape.

I trust your judgement. I'm fairly newly back on Indy so it's been hard to navigate having to choose between 8.5" and 8.75" (I previously just tried to make Ace 44 classics work on everything).

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #442 on: August 31, 2021, 10:03:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

+1 I run Indy 144s or Ace 44s with wide wheels and they fit great

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #443 on: September 01, 2021, 06:37:19 AM »
After a few p2 and p9 shapes I decided to branch out a little bit. Both look like a lot of FUN.

Polar Dane1
Ace 55
Krooked Risers
Super Reds
Shorty's Hardware
Mob

Polar 8.75 Football
Indy 149 forged Hollow
Reds
Bronze Hardware
Mob

These both look super sick

Where did you get the decks? Did you have them stashed from previous drops? I haven’t seen any polar footballs around lately and the current Dane has a graphic that I’m not too hyped on (painting of a coffee cup… but I bought one anyway and I’ll probably set it up soon)

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #444 on: September 01, 2021, 05:00:48 PM »
Expand Quote

Polar Dane1
Ace 55
Krooked Risers
Super Reds
Shorty's Hardware
Mob

Polar 8.75 Football
Indy 149 forged Hollow
Reds
Bronze Hardware
Mob
[close]

These both look super sick

Where did you get the decks? Did you have them stashed from previous drops? I haven’t seen any polar footballs around lately and the current Dane has a graphic that I’m not too hyped on (painting of a coffee cup… but I bought one anyway and I’ll probably set it up soon)

Thanks! Yeah they’ve been stashed for a bit…Football was from Fall 20 and Spring 21 for the Dane1. I hit up Polar and all they said was they have more footballs coming soon. I LOVE the 8.75 football. Been really eying a 91jr or surfjr but haven’t pulled the trigger…
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

smellsdead

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #445 on: September 01, 2021, 06:42:07 PM »
just popping in to say my 91 jr has already exceeded my expectations.
loved the 91
loved the dane1

ive had good luck with polar shapes so there may be some bias

from the setup thread

polar 91 jr
ace 44
swiss
conical f4 53
1/8" risers

board feels great

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #446 on: September 02, 2021, 08:39:37 AM »
just popping in to say my 91 jr has already exceeded my expectations.
loved the 91
loved the dane1

ive had good luck with polar shapes so there may be some bias

from the setup thread

Expand Quote

polar 91 jr
ace 44
swiss
conical f4 53
1/8" risers

board feels great
[close]

This looks sick. How do you feel about the size down from from 55s to 44s?

smellsdead

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #447 on: September 02, 2021, 10:26:04 AM »
This looks sick. How do you feel about the size down from from 55s to 44s?

i still run 55s on my 8.5 popsicles so daddy still gets his fatty fix
honestly ive tried a few 8.3s and 8.4s with the 44s and this 91jr has by far felt the most stable. maybe im mental and finally got used to the width of the 44s.

whatever me and this board are vibing

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #448 on: September 08, 2021, 12:33:54 PM »
Dane 1 JR’s and the new drop are available on Paradeworld.

white guy in a durag

« Reply #449 on: September 08, 2021, 12:38:00 PM »
Any body got dims on the dane 1 jr?