Author Topic: Which Bushings R U Running?  (Read 50005 times)

Orangepulp1000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 177
Re: Which Bushings R U Running?
« Reply #540 on: December 11, 2022, 06:41:17 AM »
Recently completely destroyed the top bushing in my venture 5.6 to the point there they would just constantly lean to one side.
Now running the stock bottom bushing with shaved down bones hards too. I shaved them down about 2mm (photo for reference) and running no top washer.

This is definitely my new combo, has made them pretty surfy (for a venture) while still keeping the stability of a venture.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #541 on: December 12, 2022, 11:08:56 AM »
Recently completely destroyed the top bushing in my venture 5.6 to the point there they would just constantly lean to one side.
Now running the stock bottom bushing with shaved down bones hards too. I shaved them down about 2mm and running no top washer.

This is definitely my new combo, has made them pretty surfy (for a venture) while still keeping the stability of a venture.
what was your method for shaving them down? I got some ace bushings a while ago and the top bushing is super tall. I set them up once on Venture highs (just had to remove the bottom washer) and I kinda liked it, but it looked ridiculous. Currently running stock bottom bushing, indy aftermarket top which is taller than stock, but by not too much.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #542 on: December 12, 2022, 11:13:05 AM »
i like bones medium bushings on indy trucks. i always buy the bones bushings as soon as i buy the trucks and put them in before even riding the indys.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #543 on: December 16, 2022, 04:15:29 PM »

Been experimenting with stock Indy bushings lately, including the newer ones which are way softer all round, compared to the older ones in trucks with crosses, still Stage 11 through to older ones in previous stages.

It is amazing how much they have not only improved the consistency of the bushings, but also how much softer the bushings have become over the years.

Stock bushings from back in the day were upwards of 94 duro and were super hard and cracked quickly, not to mention could never get them back on from new if you did take them off.

The most recent ones left on a board and skated on a mini ramp session were pretty much perfect right from go, but I wouldn't take them street skating like that, as they were a little too soft / loose and wouldn't have worn in nicely.

Three ramp sessions later and they are good for everything as they have firmed up quite a bit, but that is just my own experience with them.

For reference, I usually used the 92 duro aftermarket bushings which gave a little more resistance, but with low heads I could get the nut down a bit more and still have them fairly loose overall.

Running slightly harder bushings with cut down tops definitely felt like they were more stable than softer stock height bushings, as some others have said before too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

SilentBob

• Rep: -16
« Reply #544 on: December 16, 2022, 05:40:03 PM »
will bushings break or get ruined if i leave my board out in the freezing cold?

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #545 on: December 16, 2022, 06:11:38 PM »
i've been running black dohdoh's in venture lo's all year and they're still in perfect condition, im 6'3 195 lbs and i put one bones washer under the normal washer and keep the nut flush with the kingpin and it's perfect imo. not too loose not too tight and they turn good enough. im sticking with'em
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 08:09:41 AM by Not me »

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #546 on: December 16, 2022, 06:25:45 PM »
will bushings break or get ruined if i leave my board out in the freezing cold?

Nope. I’ve left my board in the car all day then skated an indoor park in sub 0F many times. They’ll turn for shit until they warm up, but they don’t instantly explode.

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 177
« Reply #547 on: December 18, 2022, 08:07:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Now running the stock bottom bushing with shaved down bones hards too. I shaved them down about 2mm and running no top washer.

[close]
what was your method for shaving them down? I got some ace bushings a while ago and the top bushing is super tall. I set them up once on Venture highs (just had to remove the bottom washer) and I kinda liked it, but it looked ridiculous. Currently running stock bottom bushing, indy aftermarket top which is taller than stock, but by not too much.

I just used a sheet of grip I had laying around that I was never going to use and did it in a circular motion. As pictured I did one first then with the second on I kept checking the gap with the ruler on top until it was flush. I’m sure there’s better techniques but this worked for me.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #548 on: December 18, 2022, 08:47:10 PM »
Made the jump back to bones mediums (blk tho, they always feel softer to me) with no washers for my Indys; like old shoes.

greenbeans

« Reply #549 on: December 18, 2022, 09:33:20 PM »
ace trucks with stock bushings but i cut the 2 bottom bushings in around a quarter

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #550 on: December 19, 2022, 05:57:15 AM »
Made the jump back to bones mediums (blk tho, they always feel softer to me) with no washers for my Indys; like old shoes.

I thought you’d still need at least the bottom washer to maintain geometry?

I needed the bottom back on, for Indy forged. But my set of Bones Hards have been squashed a bit because I tried them in an Indy low truck, and I didn’t know there was such a thing because noob.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #551 on: December 19, 2022, 12:05:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I thought you’d still need at least the bottom washer to maintain geometry?

I needed the bottom back on, for Indy forged. But my set of Bones Hards have been squashed a bit because I tried them in an Indy low truck, and I didn’t know there was such a thing because noob.

Never seemed to matter to me but since they moved to China, the stock bushings are shorter than they used to be; same height as fresh Bones.

rikki

• Rep: 280
« Reply #552 on: April 19, 2023, 08:29:31 AM »
Got back on Indys after a while of being on Aces. I skate a lot of transition. Used to swap my Indy stock bushings for Bones mediums, but with my new Indys I decided to try and break them in properly and see how they work.

Result in a nutshell: the Indy stock orange bushings are just great. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. I used to think the go-to method with Indys is to throw away the stock bushings and go Bones instantly, but that's proven not to be the case. They feel especially great when going really fast and hard. Turn great, but never feel too surfy, if you catch my drift.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 12:10:22 AM by rikki »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #553 on: April 21, 2023, 09:47:47 AM »
94a Thunders (the ice blue jawns) on cast plates

Game changer for me over stock being 190lbs...additionally, I think riding Ventures for a week before helped me ease into somewhat stiffer turning thunders.

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #554 on: April 21, 2023, 09:08:12 PM »
Got back on Indys after a while of being on Aces. I skate a lot of transition. Used to swap my Indy stock bushings for Bones mediums, but with my new Indys I decided to try and break them in properly and see how they work.

Result in a nutshell: the Indy stock orange bushings are just great. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. I used to think the go-to method with Indys is to throw away the stock bushings and go Bones instantly, but that's proven not to be the case. They feel especially great when going really fast and hard. Turn great, but never feel too surfy, if you catch my drift.

Couldn't agree more. The Stage 9/10 bushings were terrible. Instant swap to Bones mediums.

The new Indy bushings are so good. Under a session to break in, great rebound, and they last the life of the truck.

I like the Venture stock purple ones too. They stay alive even if they crack a bit.

I used to absolutely dread breaking in bushings in the 90s and early 2000s. I would draw a black dot with permanent marker on the front of each bushing so I could swap them into new trucks with the same orientation. The habit carried over when I started using Bones. I still have some old Bones bushings in a container of parts with the black dot on the plastic core.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #555 on: April 22, 2023, 07:13:40 AM »

Game changer for me over stock being 190lbs...additionally, I think riding Ventures for a week before helped me ease into somewhat stiffer turning thunders.

How long did these take to break in? I had a set for 2 sessions while I got some replacement stocks and they were like fucking rocks. I had to back the nut off pretty far to where it got some bad drag on basic feebles.

No more Indy Mid Forged? Prob the only truck that has really intrigued me lately.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #556 on: April 22, 2023, 12:45:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How long did these take to break in? I had a set for 2 sessions while I got some replacement stocks and they were like fucking rocks. I had to back the nut off pretty far to where it got some bad drag on basic feebles.

No more Indy Mid Forged? Prob the only truck that has really intrigued me lately.

No time to break in (I am using flat, sleeved washers with them)...AND I had just come off stock Ventures so even with harder bushings, the thunders turned more initially...and again, at 190lbs they give just fine and I am not wheelbiting as much (but also riding a bit tighter thanks to the time on ventures).

I've not set them up in a bit, my forged mindys are 149s and I'm on 8.25s for now...plus...heavy...cast hollow thunders are a nice sweet spot.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 12:30:11 AM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #557 on: April 22, 2023, 03:25:09 PM »
Makes sense, Ventures will do that to a person going from them to Indy's was quite an adventure.

The 94 Thunder bushings didn't feel remotely as ridiculous as Chris Cole's Bones Hard cranked setup.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #558 on: April 23, 2023, 12:38:21 AM »
Anyone fuck with the Riptide conicals? Which of the two formulas did you use and what were your thoughts?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #559 on: April 23, 2023, 07:30:43 AM »
Did you guys notice any difference in temperature sensitivity with stock vs aftermarket thunder bushings or are they exactly the same?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #560 on: April 23, 2023, 01:12:49 PM »
Anyone fuck with the Riptide conicals? Which of the two formulas did you use and what were your thoughts?

I've run RipTide KranK Short Street Cone with / RipTide KranK Street Cone...primarily in Tensor Mags.  Perfect fit and quality urethane.

Witcheshit

• Rep: 3
  • nosebeforehoes.blogspot.com
    • nose before hoes avatar image
« Reply #561 on: April 23, 2023, 03:35:10 PM »
Acid tabs via SOP distribution in my cruiser
Stock Ace Bushings in my day to day shape

Roll Forever Tate, 360 Frip, Yappie Dappie, Rusty, T Mack, Pablo, Malcolm, Nosey, Abair

JimmyFive

• Rep: 54
« Reply #562 on: April 24, 2023, 02:31:01 AM »

I use Riptide in all my set ups. KranK formula has amazing rebound and the formula will harden as it is compressed. Super versatile. Experimented with APS, good bushings, super surfy but found KranK better for street purposes.
Just gotta be careful to match the height of stock bushings to keep truck geometry.

Also their pivots are a godsend for squeaky trucks with the internal lubrication and last way longer than any stock pivots.

LewFarrell

• Rep: 140
« Reply #563 on: April 24, 2023, 09:22:42 AM »
Tom Asta chatted about his bushings a bit in his latest vlog.
Thunder TI's with a bones soft top and an Ace top as a bottom with a bones flat washer underneath. Video timecode: 5:15.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 972
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #564 on: April 24, 2023, 04:54:20 PM »
He's so good. I'd do almost anything to have long fakie crooks back. I know that was a nollie crooks but I never had those before. I guess if I want them I should be practicing them ....
and probably switch my 58mm wheels to a smaller size. Just till I get them then switch back. Crooks is way way easier for me on sub 54 classic shapes. Unless on flat bars. Then bigger and squarer is better.

I find it strange that both he and Ishod ride the funky bushing combo.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #565 on: April 24, 2023, 11:13:49 PM »
I use those little rubber ones that come with the trucks

« Reply #566 on: May 24, 2023, 10:10:13 PM »
Recently i was checking out supercush's i have chillen laying around, and i noticed something.

The black top tube ones have a 13mm bottom barrel bushing, while the red top tubes ones have a 14mm bottom bushing.

Both top size bushings are the same.

Ive asked mad people, shops, ive tried emailing deluxe, i for my whole life thought these were Venture/indy bushings, wich both rock stock 13mm bottom barrels if im not mistaken. Idk wtf the deal is here, and this is across all duros i have a bunch 97s, 99,s 94s,90s, are the black top tube ones meant for different trucks ? or did deluxe decide to switch up the color of the top tube and make the barrels shorter or bigger idk. Rightnow i have the red tube ones on 5.2 venture lows and they seem decent. Im wondering tho if i should switch to the black ones tho since those are more what stock venture sizes are. I dont see why theyd be messing with the size if these were always meant for ventures/indys. Does anyone know whats up with this lol

Bill Salt

« Reply #567 on: May 24, 2023, 11:16:54 PM »
Tried Bones once but quickly got back to Indy stocks.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #568 on: May 25, 2023, 04:26:20 AM »
Recently i was checking out supercush's i have chillen laying around, and i noticed something.

The black top tube ones have a 13mm bottom barrel bushing, while the red top tubes ones have a 14mm bottom bushing.

Ive asked mad people, shops, ive tried emailing deluxe, i for my whole life thought these were Venture/indy bushings, wich both rock stock 13mm bottom barrels if im not mistaken. Idk wtf the deal is here, and this is across all duros i have a bunch 97s, 99,s 94s,90s, are the black top tube ones meant for different trucks ? or did deluxe decide to switch up the color of the top tube and make the barrels shorter or bigger idk. Rightnow i have the red tube ones on 5.2 venture lows and they seem decent. Im wondering tho if i should switch to the black ones tho since those are more what stock venture sizes are. I dont see why theyd be messing with the size if these were always meant for ventures/indys. Does anyone know whats up with this lol

It has been noted that some other brands had different bushings with different heights like that, the Indy black cylinder bushings were a mm taller than the conical black and every other conical and cylinder bushing in their range.

Maybe just manufacturing with something being a bit out or who knows what really.

Also could have been out of different places or something as well, with different runs of stock.

Took a second to re read and you mean the same exact bushings in the tube with different coloured lids on them?

Like the ones in this link:

https://www.skeuwep.com/hardgoodz/DeluxeTack%26SupplyBushings

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

« Reply #569 on: May 25, 2023, 09:18:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It has been noted that some other brands had different bushings with different heights like that, the Indy black cylinder bushings were a mm taller than the conical black and every other conical and cylinder bushing in their range.

Maybe just manufacturing with something being a bit out or who knows what really.

Also could have been out of different places or something as well, with different runs of stock.

Took a second to re read and you mean the same exact bushings in the tube with different coloured lids on them?

Like the ones in this link:

https://www.skeuwep.com/hardgoodz/DeluxeTack%26SupplyBushings

Yo yeah, i have 2 sets of 94s say right, one in red top tube, one in the black top.

The ones in the red top tubes have a 1MM taller bottom barrel bushing. I have no idea why, same with 97s i have the ones in the red top tubes are mm taller, and i see alot more pics in general of the red top tubes to. Idk, idk one color tops newer, or its supposed to represent truck type but that doesnt make sense to me because these were specfically made for Ventures and indys. So messing with the bushings size doesnt make alot of sense to me, since both venture and indy rock the same boardside bushing height size, atleast this is what i saw last i looked it up in here both stock indy and ventures came with 13mm bottom barrels, only difference was the indys came with taller top conicals.

but on these the tops are all the same, its just the bottoms that are 1mm taller, and its on the red tubes only.