Author Topic: Which Bushings R U Running?  (Read 50464 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Which Bushings R U Running?
« Reply #450 on: June 22, 2022, 07:45:52 PM »

You can easily make a low top bushing with you regular top.

The IG thing is to show the set up but cut the top off to the height you want, then take 2 flat washers(one the size of the uncut top bushing and 1 the size of the bottom of the bushing), toss it on some 1/2” all thread, chuck it in a drill(hand or press), get some 40,80,&120 or 180grit sand paper put it on a sanding block(start with 40 to rough shape, then the finer grits to finish) turn the drill on and hold the block to the bushing. The washers will stop you from over sanding and give you a guide so it stay the same shape as the original high. A few minutes and maybe a dollar or so and you’ve got low bushings. That’s how I get low tops and super soft conical bottoms.

Now that is the sort of thing that makes me smile.

Guessing they turn out exactly how you want them with doing that, even more bonus points for using the washers to help with the sizing of things so you get it uniform too, which is something I never really do when I wing it with most modifications.

So good!!!!!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

pinche gringo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #451 on: June 28, 2022, 11:05:35 AM »
I recently got new Indys. I left the stock bushings in and it feels so right.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #452 on: June 28, 2022, 11:07:28 AM »

once broken in, they're really the best unless you run your shit really tight.

Wafools

• Rep: 42
« Reply #453 on: June 28, 2022, 04:57:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just put the stock ones back in after running bones and they feel great but now I kind of want to try the super loose (white Indy bushings) or the loose (red ones). Has any one tried them. Thinking looks a medium loose but on the more “looser” side.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #454 on: June 28, 2022, 05:03:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I just put the stock ones back in after running bones and they feel great but now I kind of want to try the super loose (white Indy bushings) or the loose (red ones). Has any one tried them. Thinking looks a medium loose but on the more “looser” side.

I haven’t had to but I’m on the heavier side (195lb) so the stock Orange get plenty loose.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #455 on: June 28, 2022, 05:13:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

For a normal weight body, the white ones are crazy, like there is minimal resistance to turn at all, but some people I know like them for how extremely loose they make the trucks.

If you want a little taste of what they are like, just take off all the metal washers on the stock bushings and leave the nut flush.  It gives about the same amount of resistance, so if you like that, then you will like the white ones.

Red always seemed harder for some reason, but the newest set I had tried did feel softer - how they should be - but they are still a bit weird compared to the stock orange, for the most part.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #456 on: June 28, 2022, 06:07:58 PM »

My perfectly broken in stock orange bushings

LebowskisRug

« Reply #457 on: June 28, 2022, 06:38:44 PM »
I don't ride my trucks tight by any means- most people find my board looser and I like the blues.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1158
  • old and in the way
« Reply #458 on: June 28, 2022, 07:38:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The white Indy bushings are ok (more squishy than loose) but I somehow smooshed mine so that they were terminally compressed just by skating flatground, and I did this in very few sessions, and I'm not a big guy.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #459 on: June 28, 2022, 08:15:38 PM »

Yeah they look just right.

The number of people who have bought new ones or just swapped out bushings just like that is quite funny considering I re use the bushings in other boards and they are perfectly worn in and good to skate.  Some people have a bit of a panic attack with the first sign of that, but as long as they still perform how you want them to, don't change them out and they should still last long enough on any trucks.  If they crumble a little bit, it makes them feel softer too, which is better for cruiser boards or for younger kids, when I am setting up boards for people, so at least it is a win / win any which way.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #460 on: June 28, 2022, 09:38:39 PM »
If I’m going to keep the stock bushings in a set of trucks, I don’t tighten or loosen them. I weigh like 230, so they’re plenty surfy. I mostly just cruise around and slash grind stuff or skate curbs.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #461 on: July 05, 2022, 05:15:03 AM »

Hahaha, I came here to ask which bushings you guys would recommend because my Indy bushings look excactly like that and I noticed the trucks to loosen up significantly in the last week. But I like it, been running my trucks on the looser side for quite some time now and was wondering which duro to get now – pretty light fella here. Now I just think about keeping them like they are...

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #462 on: July 05, 2022, 11:48:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hahaha, I came here to ask which bushings you guys would recommend because my Indy bushings look excactly like that and I noticed the trucks to loosen up significantly in the last week. But I like it, been running my trucks on the looser side for quite some time now and was wondering which duro to get now – pretty light fella here. Now I just think about keeping them like they are...

Yeah if they look like this then they’re perfect. Keep ‘em!!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #463 on: July 05, 2022, 06:31:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah if they look like this then they’re perfect. Keep ‘em!!

The only other thing to note, as I did last night with a board, was to take them apart, check over them and make sure they were still intact in the core area, so just looking like they had issues on the surface and that was it, then turning the cracked looking part to the back of the hanger, or the front depending on how they had worn, but definitely making sure that there was even pressure on each side, more so than one side wearing from heavy heel landings.

Some boards I have even swapped the front for the back too, as the back often got more beat up from heavy landings for some people, or for others crooked grinds and similar things caused more issues to the front bushings.

Just a thought anyway.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #464 on: September 16, 2022, 10:06:17 AM »
alright finally retiring the nfg bushings & biggest take away that hasn't been covered by resident bushing lord xen is that the tops really compress a ton. so much that i feel like i could have gone a size up in height (i got standard height for venture) and it would have compressed into normalcy. that being said they still felt good and i didn't have as much of an issue with the top getting chewed up like venture stocks. back to supercush for a lil while

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #465 on: September 17, 2022, 07:40:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Conical red aftermarkets are awesome. May be questionable in cold temps, at last from my exp. Feel great though, cut well and look good too.

The super soft white are gushy. I have them on a set up with an Orange top and liked that better. But on their own they just felt too squishy. BTW I run my trucks pretty loose.

JJ_Skates

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 15
« Reply #466 on: September 17, 2022, 07:18:08 PM »
Bones Hardcore Hard in white

boneless900

• Rep: 58
« Reply #467 on: September 17, 2022, 10:57:11 PM »
Bones hard top bushing with plastic ring shaved down 1-2 mm and a blue Indy conical bottom bushing. 1.5-ish threads showing and the trucks have symmetrical tightness. I really like how it responds quickly to turns as well as snapping back to center fast, I'm gonna stick with this for as long as the board lasts before allowing myself to succumb to anymore bushing/truck madness

For reference, I'm around 175 lbs ona 9.25 Krooked Barbee Street Sk8 with Indy 159 Hollows

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #468 on: September 18, 2022, 08:17:25 AM »
Finally got my hands on some of the new Thunder Afternarket bushings. Got the white 90a which is supposed to be same as stock and they list as “medium”. First session they already feel better, I wanted something softer than the stock bushing because I just wasn’t getting very deep into the turn. They could still firm up so we’ll see how supple they stay, but so far liking them

231st Street

• Rep: -201
« Reply #469 on: September 18, 2022, 01:50:56 PM »
Lately been riding bones white medium in bottom and blue loose in top.  Alternate between this and the stock Indys.  As it gets colder I tend to gravitate to the bones as the Indys seem to lock up in the cold more.  Echo other's experiences that every red indy "soft" I've had is crazy hard- not sure what the intent is on those.  I tried them again recently after forgetting about that and was unable to turn at all-- to be sure it wasn't a "wrong truck" thing I tried them in a range of Indys: 139, 159 and 215 and didn't seem to work in any of them.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #470 on: September 18, 2022, 05:50:46 PM »
Finally got my hands on some of the new Thunder Afternarket bushings. Got the white 90a which is supposed to be same as stock and they list as “medium”. First session they already feel better, I wanted something softer than the stock bushing because I just wasn’t getting very deep into the turn. They could still firm up so we’ll see how supple they stay, but so far liking them

They're the same as the white stocks exactly and typically used on team rider trucks.

I always wonder if bushing madness is partially people wanting their truck to actually be another truck.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #471 on: September 18, 2022, 09:49:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They're the same as the white stocks exactly and typically used on team rider trucks.

I always wonder if bushing madness is partially people wanting their truck to actually be another truck.

Maybe…I wish my trucks were just an modern 8.25 old krux downlow

I think they were the k3/krux III

The ones that everyone used to ride in the 7.5/7.75 days in the 3.5 downlow

I used to ride those no turning back, the height and the way the bushings were just worked for me like all the normal good skaters, plug and play. No swapping bushings, no adjusting since the first adjustment when you first got them just keep riding them until axle and get the same trucks and do the same, then I got curious with thunders. Very good trucks.

Anyways I’m riding blue dohdoh 88a with the pivot cups from ace classics in my ti thunder 148 right now

Really like the bushings but they just disintegrate and I don’t mash them down or have them loose and swerve like crazy, shortys just cheap out 
yes

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #472 on: September 19, 2022, 08:12:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Probably, and like I said once they're broken in a bit they may stiffen up and feel the same as the stock bushings. Neither of my thunders came with white bushings though, they have translucent green bushings.

The geo on thunders is way better for me but even with the kingpin nut almost all the way loose, the trucks just didn't feel very loose the way I like them. i don't want to mess with the supercush or NFG bushings and go full sicko mode, so I thought I'd just try the thunder aftermarkets and see what happens.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #473 on: September 19, 2022, 10:08:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Probably, and like I said once they're broken in a bit they may stiffen up and feel the same as the stock bushings. Neither of my thunders came with white bushings though, they have translucent green bushings.

The geo on thunders is way better for me but even with the kingpin nut almost all the way loose, the trucks just didn't feel very loose the way I like them. i don't want to mess with the supercush or NFG bushings and go full sicko mode, so I thought I'd just try the thunder aftermarkets and see what happens.

keep in mind supercush is for venture since they are barrel bottom style bushings. thunders bushings have the conical bottom

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #474 on: September 19, 2022, 11:12:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

keep in mind supercush is for venture since they are barrel bottom style bushings. thunders bushings have the conical bottom

Ah yeah, I think I was thinking of the venom street bushings. Thunder replacements get really confusing, they're conical top/bottom and the heights are different than any other truck. Which is why I was willing to try the thunder aftermarkets and nothing else lol

LebowskisRug

« Reply #475 on: September 19, 2022, 01:20:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

A few possible ideas:

1. Ditch the bottom washer like people do with Bones, keep the top stock nut how you had it.
2. Ishod style 2 top bushings
3. Trim the top bushing a tad

By geo being better for you what do you mean? Cuz it sounds counterintuitive that they don't turn how you like.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #476 on: September 19, 2022, 01:25:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

A few possible ideas:

1. Ditch the bottom washer like people do with Bones, keep the top stock nut how you had it.

By geo being better for you what do you mean? Cuz it sounds counterintuitive that they don't turn how you like.

The longer WB/quicker pop seem to work better for me. I know we're talking millimeters probably, but I was riding Indys forever an I would still consistently ghost pop my tricks. Thunders makes me feel like my pop is more consistent, I almost never ghost pop.

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 33
« Reply #477 on: September 19, 2022, 02:08:02 PM »
They firmed up significantly for me after 1-2 sessions, i just use them cause the clear blue crumbled after 1 month of usage. Thunder 147 slightly less then flush but nyloc still grabs (kind of and i help with superglue).

LebowskisRug

« Reply #478 on: September 19, 2022, 04:02:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

A few possible ideas:

[close]

The longer WB/quicker pop seem to work better for me. I know we're talking millimeters probably, but I was riding Indys forever an I would still consistently ghost pop my tricks. Thunders makes me feel like my pop is more consistent, I almost never ghost pop.

Same pal, same. Nollie especially. 1 out of 5 tricks would ghost pop.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #479 on: September 19, 2022, 04:05:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

A few possible ideas:

[close]

[close]

Same pal, same. Nollie especially. 1 out of 5 tricks would ghost pop.

Love indys on my slappy or transition boards, but thunder for anything that needs to get popped...