Author Topic: Dutch skatepark under fire for sexist art exhibition  (Read 6322 times)

shannamal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Dutch skatepark under fire for sexist art exhibition
« on: September 12, 2020, 04:18:50 PM »
Dutch artist Erik Kessels created an exhibition comprised entirely of womens face, titled 'Destry My Face'. He now is under heavy criticism for the sexist and misogynistic exhibit.

His statement can be read here, https://www.bredaphoto.nl/erik-kessels/

“Plastic surgery has become something pretty normal in today’s society. However, when taken overboard, these surgeries can result in deformations. The representation of oneself and what is real seem to blur more and more. The same can be said for how we present the image of ourselves online. Being insta-perfect can become the norm instead of the exception and we can manipulate our image in several seconds. The deformation that once started with plastic surgery will continue in this installation while skaters create another uncontrolled reality. Machine learning, as another artificial intervention, was used to generate the selection after entering all, male and female, available online plastic surgery portraits.

The intention of this work is ironic and intends to evoke a dialogue about self-acceptance. Of course it doesn’t mean to encourage violence against women. With this work I never wanted to offend anyone, but when reading recent comments online, I understand I’ve done so and I apologise for that. In my opinion the function of art in society is to start dialogues and I continue to believe in that”. – Erik Kessels

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

fredgallSOTY

Re: Dutch skatepark under fire for sexist art exhibition
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 04:33:41 PM »
yeah this shits lame as fuck.

Alois Hitler Jr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -389
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
  • User is banned from postingMuted
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 04:36:13 PM »
urethane surgery is the new plastic surgery
9/11 was a national tragedy

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 04:39:34 PM »
Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Would be better with dick pics.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 04:40:52 PM »
Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Would be better with dick pics.

Destroy my dick. Quality film.

imposter

• Rep: -63
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 04:41:25 PM »
lol

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -3
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 04:45:19 PM »
How else did he expect that to go

os89

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 04:45:29 PM »
Seriously though, they should have just put up a bunch of ugly ass, but actually piled out old pro skaters instead.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1572
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 04:59:14 PM »
Seriously though, they should have just put up a bunch of ugly ass, but actually piled out old pro skaters instead.

Imagine the same set-up but it's all this photo:

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1643
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 05:01:08 PM »
"destroy my face" immediately made me think of blow-bangs.  And I don't particularly like blow-bangs.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

os89

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2020, 05:05:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Imagine the same set-up but it's all this photo:

Exactamundo haha

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1572
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2020, 05:08:57 PM »
“Steroid use has become something pretty normal in today’s society. However, when taken overboard, these intakes can result in deformations. The representation of oneself and what is real seem to blur more and more. The same can be said for how we present the image of ourselves online. Being insta-perfect can become the norm instead of the exception and we can manipulate our image in several seconds. The deformation that once started with steroids will continue in this installation while skaters create another uncontrolled reality. Machine learning, as another artificial intervention, was used to generate the selection after entering all, male and female, available online steroid user portraits. – Erik Kessels, Destroy The Other Person's Face

kmdoom

• Rep: -18
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2020, 05:16:32 PM »
It’s all fun and games men saying “ThIs iS sUcH GoOD aRt bEcAusE it CausEs DiscUsSion and DEBATE” you do realise this isn’t just a “discussion” for us? Misogyny, the pressure to look a certain way and violence is the shit we have to put up with in our day to day lives?

ok so the argument is that it's sexist because it is a man making women the focus of his art. lol. because nobody who has an issue with this is actually going to be able to articulate how anything about this is misogynistic in any way. It is fucking social commentary, if it bothers you, it's not his fault

os89

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2020, 05:37:30 PM »
Expand Quote
It’s all fun and games men saying “ThIs iS sUcH GoOD aRt bEcAusE it CausEs DiscUsSion and DEBATE” you do realise this isn’t just a “discussion” for us? Misogyny, the pressure to look a certain way and violence is the shit we have to put up with in our day to day lives?
[close]

ok so the argument is that it's sexist because it is a man making women the focus of his art. lol. because nobody who has an issue with this is actually going to be able to articulate how anything about this is misogynistic in any way. It is fucking social commentary, if it bothers you, it's not his fault

Oh yea, wow it is soooo original and unique. It totally makes me “think“...

Edit: I bet you think McDonald’s X Supreme is/would be some woke social commentary too. Nerd.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1145
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2020, 05:39:14 PM »
One of those art things where it’s supposed to shock everyone and make them think about society and shit.  Cool...
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2020, 05:43:36 PM »
art is fucking stupid

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 233
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2020, 05:44:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s fucking lame social commentary.
So lame that the point is completely missed because the ‘artist’ was either completely oblivious that using ONLY women could be misconstrued, or he did it on purpose. I think the latter.

And the act of skating over people’s faces, ‘destroying’ them, what kind of subtle take-home are we supposed to get out of that rather than willful disrespect?

It is pitiful. It doesn’t create any more meaningful of a conversation than spitting on them does.

It is a knee-jerk reaction to women getting plastic surgery, and basically attacking them, refusing to look at why it is so popular in today’s society.

It doesn’t come anywhere close to grappling with the main issues of WHY.  There is so much that could be explored with the topic.

But instead it’s not art, it’s the scratching out the face of someone you don’t like in your yearbook by someone who thinks they are some kind of artist.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

lilboosie

• Rep: 227
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2020, 05:44:23 PM »
lmao thats distracting as fuck. they should make that shit look like an arcade carpet. that shit would be tight

Meekin

• Rep: 5
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2020, 05:45:39 PM »
Thats art? jesus
There was an interview with TK, when he was a plumber. He got asked if he gets recognized on the job and his response was "No. Plumbin in disguise." Everyone on SLAP thought he said "put him in the sky"

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 707
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2020, 05:47:00 PM »
I think I speak for most of us when I say-

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2020, 05:56:20 PM »
People will complain about anything

os89

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2020, 06:01:16 PM »

Says Mr. Titty sig. Your hypocrisy is showing.

Edit: on a long board no less. Tits don’t make up for that trash.

Edit 2: Booyakasha!

Edit 3: Bitch almost fell off... pushing once, delete that garbage holmes. It ain’t edgy or sexy or cool. It is fucking dumb though. Congratulations. Wow tits. So funny and cool sig man, way to go. Not.

Edit 4: Nerd.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 06:26:04 PM by os89 »

C.J. Gap

• Rep: -1
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2020, 06:05:20 PM »
I’ll withhold judgment until hearing Feedback Ted’s take

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1432
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2020, 06:29:20 PM »
Missed opportunity

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2020, 06:38:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Edit 3: Bitch almost fell off... pushing once, delete that garbage holmes. It ain’t edgy or sexy or cool. It is fucking dumb though. Congratulations. Wow tits. So funny and cool sig man, way to go. Not.

Hope you feel better now bud.

os89

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2020, 06:41:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You mean now that I called you out on your dumb shit? Yea, not bad. Not like everyone hasn’t noticed before. You just happened to put it all on display. Nice job dipshit.

Edit: heeerrreee puss puss puss
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 06:50:31 PM by os89 »

scary

• Rep: -7
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2020, 06:42:25 PM »
"destroy my face" immediately made me think of blow-bangs.  And I don't particularly like blow-bangs.

its cuz you’ve never gotten good head... here lemme show you how its done g

michael scarn

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2020, 06:44:17 PM »
So is this at a skate park and if so WHY would you think that's a good idea for skate park art i would almost prefer shitty graffiti

Mongoloid

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2020, 06:48:07 PM »
Could have just put pictures of the Kardashian’s in place of randos. That would have achieved the same message, and no one would have been offended.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2020, 06:51:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

You mean now that I called you out on your dumb shit? Yea, not bad. Not like everyone hasn’t noticed before. You just happened to put it all on display. Nice job dipshit.

If calling someone out on a forum about skating helps you sleep brother, go for it. I can pretend to give a fuck if you want the attention.