Author Topic: Safe Space for 7.5 - 7.75 deck rydaz  (Read 56636 times)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Safe Space for 7.5 - 7.75 deck rydaz
« Reply #930 on: November 08, 2023, 05:05:03 PM »
you maniacs might like this
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #931 on: November 08, 2023, 05:45:42 PM »

yup, i like it. not gonna, but i like it

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #932 on: November 29, 2023, 05:43:38 AM »

Girl PSSTIX 7.75x31.125 13.75wb
Pepper griptape
Bronze 7/8 allen
Venture low 5.0
Spitfire F4 48mm
Bones reds

nosneb

« Reply #933 on: November 29, 2023, 05:44:33 AM »

I got one and it’s really nice and mellow no barely any concave 🤤

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #934 on: November 29, 2023, 06:37:34 AM »
both look sick.
i bought 3 7.5 re-issues and then started skating an 8.38.
cuz im an idiot.

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #935 on: November 29, 2023, 09:48:58 AM »
both look sick.
i bought 3 7.5 re-issues and then started skating an 8.38.
cuz im an idiot.
I can relate to that feeling.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 318
« Reply #936 on: December 20, 2023, 10:49:48 AM »

Chocolate 7.75
Venture 5.0 lo
50mm F4

Nostalgia meter maxxed :)

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 30
« Reply #937 on: December 31, 2023, 02:55:45 AM »
I'm going to buy a 7.875. Not out of madness but just out of curiosity and the desire to have a board that is easier to flip than an 8. Also rediscover the feeling of my early years with small boards.

However, I am currently skating Indy 139 Hollows with 51mm wheels. Do you think the 139 works well with a 7.8 (like PJ or luan) or is the 129 are Better ? I would like to point out that I prefer high and medium. I want to know if it's worth buying smaller trucks or not (probably ventures 5.0 high in my opinion)

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #938 on: December 31, 2023, 03:03:17 AM »
I'm going to buy a 7.875. Not out of madness but just out of curiosity and the desire to have a board that is easier to flip than an 8. Also rediscover the feeling of my early years with small boards.

However, I am currently skating Indy 139 Hollows with 51mm wheels. Do you think the 139 works well with a 7.8 (like PJ or luan) or is the 129 are Better ? I would like to point out that I prefer high and medium. I want to know if it's worth buying smaller trucks or not (probably ventures 5.0 high in my opinion)
I think it will most likely be ok with 139s. I'd at least give it a session or two before paying for more trucks especially when there's still a chance you may not like a sub 8 board and won't be able to use the smaller trucks for anything else really.

Nymphicus hollandicus

• Rep: 22
« Reply #939 on: December 31, 2023, 03:14:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I think it will most likely be ok with 139s. I'd at least give it a session or two before paying for more trucks especially when there's still a chance you may not like a sub 8 board and won't be able to use the smaller trucks for anything else really.

Interesting one, and I agree with Mean salto about using what you have to start with.

I've personally grown to like smaller 129/5.0 width trucks on my current 7.875. My first impression was that it was a bit too magic carpet, but after giving it another go recently (and having tightened the trucks ever so slightly), I think it works for me now.

In my mind it also comes down to how used to that set of trucks you are (as you are well used to the 139's already it would definitely make sense to try them first), especially as you are running small wheels. Also, I should mention that I run the equivalent sized Ventures, not Independent. My only actual experience of Indy 129's was of with some Koston Forged Hollows that I found too twitchy for my liking, even with Indy hard bushings.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to go with!

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 141
« Reply #940 on: December 31, 2023, 11:45:09 AM »
I use venture 5.2 lows for anything 8 and below.

But I also like 5.0 lows on 7.5
My only issue is overflipping on a 7.5 with venture 5.0 lows. But i adjust. Also 5.0 lows wheelbite less than 5.2. I could try to explain it with pseudo science lol but wont.

Nymphicus hollandicus

« Reply #941 on: December 31, 2023, 12:53:10 PM »
I use venture 5.2 lows for anything 8 and below.

But I also like 5.0 lows on 7.5
My only issue is overflipping on a 7.5 with venture 5.0 lows. But i adjust. Also 5.0 lows wheelbite less than 5.2. I could try to explain it with pseudo science lol but wont.

I'd be into the pseudo science, go for it! Also, just out of interest, what wheel sizes and shapes do you go for with the Lows? Are you limited in size to 51mm or can you get away with 52mm? I've got an old set of 5.0 Lows but have only tried them with risers and larger wheels and to be honest I wasn't really into how they turned.

Currently I'm really into 5.0 Highs and generally run 53mm wheels, mainly classic shapes and that combination feels great to me on board sizes 7.6" to 7.875".

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 141
« Reply #942 on: December 31, 2023, 01:18:57 PM »
I weigh around 235 and skated Venture Lows 5.0 no risers with 52mm classics. I think i wheelbit less with tablets. Also rode them on the looser side for a year or 2.
 i was skating DOA flat mold 7.5 with venture lows and 53mm hella wheelbite but them i got the wheelbite grooves and it was cherry.

Only reason i sized up is that i break 7.5 fast. Especially since DOA don't make boards no more. I obliterate 7.5 ps stix.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #943 on: December 31, 2023, 02:09:41 PM »
I weigh around 235 and skated Venture Lows 5.0 no risers with 52mm classics. I think i wheelbit less with tablets. Also rode them on the looser side for a year or 2.
 i was skating DOA flat mold 7.5 with venture lows and 53mm hella wheelbite but them i got the wheelbite grooves and it was cherry.

Only reason i sized up is that i break 7.5 fast. Especially since DOA don't make boards no more. I obliterate 7.5 ps stix.

the ps stix 7.5s are perfect because they fee exactly how i remember the boards of the era feeling: maybe its gonna be the highest flip trick ever, maybe im going to stomp thru the boards any moment.
i wish i could get a prime deck, that felt like the old world boards. those were prime right?

5.0 lo’s with the 52s was the move. that was pretty standard in my recollection. something about the 5.0s means less wheelbite.
there was that small moment in time where footage from ave and dill was minimal, but right before those dudes sized up to indy 139s they were riding what looked like 54s on 5.0 lo’s.

my next 7.5 setup might be stealing this brent atchley setup look i saw where he had a small board, indy 101s (lurpiv inspo), with the big soft wheels.

Nymphicus hollandicus

« Reply #944 on: January 01, 2024, 07:09:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

the ps stix 7.5s are perfect because they fee exactly how i remember the boards of the era feeling: maybe its gonna be the highest flip trick ever, maybe im going to stomp thru the boards any moment.
i wish i could get a prime deck, that felt like the old world boards. those were prime right?

5.0 lo’s with the 52s was the move. that was pretty standard in my recollection. something about the 5.0s means less wheelbite.
there was that small moment in time where footage from ave and dill was minimal, but right before those dudes sized up to indy 139s they were riding what looked like 54s on 5.0 lo’s.

my next 7.5 setup might be stealing this brent atchley setup look i saw where he had a small board, indy 101s (lurpiv inspo), with the big soft wheels.

Cheers for the replies and info, I may have to revisit trying out the again Lows some day minus the risers. I love the way 53mm classic shaped wheels feel after they've worn in a little, I would say 52's are as small as I could go for the terrain around where I live. I definitely find the roads and pavements are just that bit too rough to get from A to B cruising on 50 or 51mm from new etc. 

Board size I've recently gone from a Jart 7.6" up to an old Sour 7.875" that I had from last year (both HLC woodshop- deck feels very stiff) and I'm liking it so far. Keeping the same truck setup has helped the transition massively I would say.

FrenchSkater

« Reply #945 on: January 03, 2024, 08:50:16 AM »
Thank you for your advice (A few posts above about my transition from 8 to 7.875) ! I bought a chocolate 7.875 X 31.25 with 13.9 wheelbase, can't wait to try it !! For the little girl/chocolate that I tried, it was only an 8 and I loved the shape and lightness.

I think it will satisfy me, I just hope that it will go with the Indy Forged Hollows 139, because I read that the best are the ventures with the short wheelbase but I think that that doesn't change a lot. And I also bought medium bones bushings, and as I saw on a Ben Degros video, this changes the geometry and lowers the height of the trucks by 1 mm, so it would perhaps coordinate better with a smaller board. (in a way I would go from high to medium)

In any case, the added ease and short length will be very beneficial for me and my little legs. :D And I thought that the big skaters skate 8.125/8.25, but their size is equivalent for them and their build, some on 8.25 look like they are riding a very small board (like Reynolds for example), so for my choice, it surely amounts to the same thing ! (i m 5.7 ft and 8 foot size)

chaosisme

• Rep: 56
  • mankind is unkind man
« Reply #946 on: January 05, 2024, 04:43:32 PM »

Christmas complete
WKND 7.75
Venture hi 5.0 v light
51 mm spits

I am 5’10”
Size 10 feet
mankind is unkind man

hiljentaa

• Rep: 318
« Reply #947 on: January 05, 2024, 06:09:34 PM »

Christmas complete
WKND 7.75
Venture hi 5.0 v light
51 mm spits

I am 5’10”
Size 10 feet

Hyped on this. Probably skates SO good. PS Stix?

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #948 on: January 05, 2024, 07:06:49 PM »
Thank you for your advice (A few posts above about my transition from 8 to 7.875) ! I bought a chocolate 7.875 X 31.25 with 13.9 wheelbase, can't wait to try it !! For the little girl/chocolate that I tried, it was only an 8 and I loved the shape and lightness.

I think it will satisfy me, I just hope that it will go with the Indy Forged Hollows 139, because I read that the best are the ventures with the short wheelbase but I think that that doesn't change a lot. And I also bought medium bones bushings, and as I saw on a Ben Degros video, this changes the geometry and lowers the height of the trucks by 1 mm, so it would perhaps coordinate better with a smaller board. (in a way I would go from high to medium)

In any case, the added ease and short length will be very beneficial for me and my little legs. :D And I thought that the big skaters skate 8.125/8.25, but their size is equivalent for them and their build, some on 8.25 look like they are riding a very small board (like Reynolds for example), so for my choice, it surely amounts to the same thing ! (i m 5.7 ft and 8 foot size)

Same here man. I have short ass legs and after moving down to the DLX 8.06 true fit shape, it's done wonders for my skating. I'm similar in height and shoe size as you and team thunders on a 13.75 WB feels just fine. Your Indy forged on the 13.9 WB should be okay.

FrenchSkater

« Reply #949 on: January 05, 2024, 11:22:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Same here man. I have short ass legs and after moving down to the DLX 8.06 true fit shape, it's done wonders for my skating. I'm similar in height and shoe size as you and team thunders on a 13.75 WB feels just fine. Your Indy forged on the 13.9 WB should be okay.

I have to give my opinion after two sessions! There's really an added ease in launching certain flip tricks (Nollie flip or Hardflip for example), and I totally feel that this board is made for me, for my build, I really feel that I can have control. I'm coming out of Real 8.06 standard (31.8 and 14.3 WB) and it's totally easier.. But, if I had no choice, I could go back to 8.0 too because the difference is totally minimal, however, I would definitely stay on a short length with if possible a WB 14.. The best is obviously 31.3 / 31.25, but 31.5 can also work. And yes I would have liked to try these full SE 8.06 but the ones I found are much too expensive for the moment.. In any case, it's quite reassuring to say that I can now choose with each new board either a 7.8 (mainly girl/chocolate because damn I love this shape) or a very short 8.0.

And it works very well with indy hollows!

Funny to also hear my skater friends "Damn it's too small it's a stick" but they forgot that this board fits perfectly with my height and my length of legs and size of feet haha ​​Given my height in relation to the board, it doesn't seem small to me, just normal "as it should".

When I think about it , I've already seen a lot of small skaters slipping on 8.25s and having trouble throwing tricks and it's weird when you see them only on their boards (like big people on a 7.75), but obviously I'm not saying that it's It's impossible for them to skate, and it’s a personnal différence, but I remember advice from Geoff Rowley who said that taking a board adapted to your size will be more beneficial. There is also the style of skating that counts, I do a lot of flatground and small banks, small gaps sometimes. When I hear all these Young skaters saying that we can't master a small board, they forgot to watch Daewon song or the moment when Marc Johnson/Tom penny skated 7.5 / 7.75 ahah
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 11:33:36 PM by FrenchSkater »

chaosisme

• mankind is unkind man
« Reply #950 on: January 06, 2024, 04:57:39 AM »
Expand Quote

Christmas complete
WKND 7.75
Venture hi 5.0 v light
51 mm spits

I am 5’10”
Size 10 feet
[close]

Yeah ps stix:)

Really excited to skate it, I feel like a lot of people would prefer lows and I would usually but I thought it would be nice to try highs and see how it feels!
mankind is unkind man

Nymphicus hollandicus

« Reply #951 on: January 06, 2024, 10:41:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I have to give my opinion after two sessions! There's really an added ease in launching certain flip tricks (Nollie flip or Hardflip for example), and I totally feel that this board is made for me, for my build, I really feel that I can have control. I'm coming out of Real 8.06 standard (31.8 and 14.3 WB) and it's totally easier.. But, if I had no choice, I could go back to 8.0 too because the difference is totally minimal, however, I would definitely stay on a short length with if possible a WB 14.. The best is obviously 31.3 / 31.25, but 31.5 can also work. And yes I would have liked to try these full SE 8.06 but the ones I found are much too expensive for the moment.. In any case, it's quite reassuring to say that I can now choose with each new board either a 7.8 (mainly girl/chocolate because damn I love this shape) or a very short 8.0.

And it works very well with indy hollows!

Funny to also hear my skater friends "Damn it's too small it's a stick" but they forgot that this board fits perfectly with my height and my length of legs and size of feet haha ​​Given my height in relation to the board, it doesn't seem small to me, just normal "as it should".

When I think about it , I've already seen a lot of small skaters slipping on 8.25s and having trouble throwing tricks and it's weird when you see them only on their boards (like big people on a 7.75), but obviously I'm not saying that it's It's impossible for them to skate, and it’s a personnal différence, but I remember advice from Geoff Rowley who said that taking a board adapted to your size will be more beneficial. There is also the style of skating that counts, I do a lot of flatground and small banks, small gaps sometimes. When I hear all these Young skaters saying that we can't master a small board, they forgot to watch Daewon song or the moment when Marc Johnson/Tom penny skated 7.5 / 7.75 ahah

Nice one for the updates, I too am only just 5ft7 with shortish legs but happen to prefer around 31.6" length decks.

I agree that peoples style of skating plays a big part in what feel comfortable, my skill level is honestly quite low so I tend to spend most of my time enjoying just pushing around the place rather than attempting lots of tricks. I find things a little more comfortable stance-wise being ever so slightly stretched out with a 14.2" wheelbase and 31.6" board.
After trying a couple of 14" and 13.875" wheelbase decks a while back, I found them to be a bit cramped (it was probably more to do with the particular board shapes I tried) but I wouldn't be against trying a shorter wheelbase or deck again in the future, especially if they can help me improve my skill level!

Nymphicus hollandicus

« Reply #952 on: January 06, 2024, 10:42:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Christmas complete
WKND 7.75
Venture hi 5.0 v light
51 mm spits

I am 5’10”
Size 10 feet
[close]

[close]

Yeah ps stix:)

Really excited to skate it, I feel like a lot of people would prefer lows and I would usually but I thought it would be nice to try highs and see how it feels!

That is a lovely set-up, I like it a lot.

It'd be good to hear how you get on with the 5.0 V-light Highs long term, do you usually ride Ventures or is this something new? I love the 5.0 Standard Highs and have often wondered what the V-Lights in that size are like. From what I understand the V-Lights push the wheelbase out a little from the standards but I could be wrong on that?
I imagine the 51mm spitfires are a perfect match for the trucks and deck either way :)

chaosisme

• mankind is unkind man
« Reply #953 on: January 06, 2024, 12:15:04 PM »
I have always skated ventures, I’ve tried other trucks but it’s been venture since I was a kid :)

I’ll definitely update after a few sessions, I know it’s going to feel weird but Aleka Lang skates a setup similar to this and looks rad!

I’d usually skate an 8 with 5.2 low v-lights
mankind is unkind man

nosneb

« Reply #954 on: January 09, 2024, 07:15:26 AM »

Real 7.4 31 14wb
Jessup
Bronze 7/8 Allen
Venture low 5.0
Clone 46mm

Nymphicus hollandicus

« Reply #955 on: January 10, 2024, 01:41:20 PM »
I have always skated ventures, I’ve tried other trucks but it’s been venture since I was a kid :)

I’ll definitely update after a few sessions, I know it’s going to feel weird but Aleka Lang skates a setup similar to this and looks rad!

Cheers for the reply, have you ever ridden the standard cast baseplate 5.0 highs? I rave about them all the time but I don't see many skaters going for that exact size. I'm always interested to hear what other skaters think of them if they have though.
I checked out at Aleka Lang, not heard of him before, he has a good skating style indeed!

Nymphicus hollandicus

« Reply #956 on: January 10, 2024, 01:42:37 PM »

Real 7.4 31 14wb
Jessup
Bronze 7/8 Allen
Venture low 5.0
Clone 46mm

Another very nice set-up :) How's it working out for you so far? Nice graphic and it looks good with the Venture lows and small wheels.

FrenchSkater

« Reply #957 on: January 10, 2024, 02:00:06 PM »
I think I'm totally converted again to sizes below 8, since few sessions, my 7.875 just seems "normal" to me, neither too wide nor too thin ! I got back on an 8, it seems difficult and big to skate now haha

Maybe one day I'll try 7.75 again, but I don't have the courage to buy new trucks in 129 haha

chaosisme

• mankind is unkind man
« Reply #958 on: January 10, 2024, 02:48:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Cheers for the reply, have you ever ridden the standard cast baseplate 5.0 highs? I rave about them all the time but I don't see many skaters going for that exact size. I'm always interested to hear what other skaters think of them if they have though.
I checked out at Aleka Lang, not heard of him before, he has a good skating style indeed!

I think I probably will have done back in the day but can’t remember!

I have some 5.0 lows with a normal cast baseplate, think they’re going to be nice, tempted to get a 7.5 to set them up so I have a skinny high and skinny low haha

What setup are you on at the moment? Have you already posted pictures?
mankind is unkind man

Nymphicus hollandicus

« Reply #959 on: January 10, 2024, 10:19:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I think I probably will have done back in the day but can’t remember!

I have some 5.0 lows with a normal cast baseplate, think they’re going to be nice, tempted to get a 7.5 to set them up so I have a skinny high and skinny low haha

What setup are you on at the moment? Have you already posted pictures?

Good stuff, I'd say do and go for the 7.5" to have the high/low set-ups going at once:)

I spent most of last year on a Jart 7.6” (31.6” long with 14.2” wheelbase) and Venture highs 5.0. I loved that set-up but have found it hard to get replacement decks in exactly that size in the UK and it seems to have been discontinued now. Tried a 7.5" not long after that but wasn't feeling it paired with the same truck and wheel combo I had at the time.

I’m currently on my spare set-up which is a Sour 7.875” (31.82” long with 14.2” wheelbase) paired with some older Street Corner Venture 5.0 highs. I threw it together to get through winter and have it double as a rain board, but honestly it feels a bit too nice to use in crap weather!
I was a bit reluctant to size up from the 7.6” initially but the change hasn’t been bad and I quite like it now.

Re-posted from the set-up thread:

My winter/rain board setup:
Lightly used Sour 7.875” deck (S4 concave, 31.82” long with a 14.2” wheelbase)
Street Corner Venture 5.0 High trucks with red medium hard Doh Doh bushings
Mini-Logo 95a 56mm wheels
Green Fracture Abec 7 bearings
Independent 1 inch Allen hardware
MOB grip